The Cowboys are crazy

jimmy40

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
cowboys = :lombardi:

oilers/titans = 0
Put the Cowboys in Pittsburg's division in the seventies. I wonder how many Super Bowls we would have gone to? Hmmmmmm.

VACowboy

Reaction score
OILERMAN said:
Who cares if other teams also overpaid free agents? It happens every year. People on these boards made fun of the Commanders last year.

As for the Titans, yea they've had some serious losses in Mason and Rolle but if everyones healthy I'll take the Titans roster over the Cowboys in a heart beat.

There's a big difference in what the Skins have done for the past few years and what the Cowboys have done so far this year, at least in my view. Washington went out and signed a bunch of big names: Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Jesse Armstead, Mark Brunelle, etc. Dallas hasn't done that. They've signed players that fit what they want to do as a team. Did they overpay some? Sure. But that's going to happen if you want to sign quality players. We all know now what a "bargain" is in free agency. It's the signing of a player no one else wants. Besides, what does a team do when it has $20 million to spend on players but spend it on players? Maybe some of your confusion comes from the fact that your team doesn't have to worry about overpaying anybody.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Put the Cowboys in Pittsburg's division in the seventies. I wonder how many Super Bowls we would have gone to? Hmmmmmm.
lombardi trophy count would be unaffected. what's your point?

Reaction score
cwboy1 said:
I'm betting that lil comments gonna get you a whole lotta flack slick.

Naaaaaa, don't worry cw, like in real life, none of the women who post here give him a second look anyway.

;)

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Well the way I look at it.........I'll have to say JJ & BP have done very well.

We pluged 4 Big Holes and compared to what other teams will pay for the same position players ...we got a KMart special.

The contracts are front loaded therefore we get 3-4 years out of theses guys we have done great.

The plan is win now and will admit they seem to be sticking to the plan.

We still need a playmaker on both sides of the ball.

Oilerman. go play some Madden and have your own Christmas in March.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Hey gang--for this particular poster

Please don't feed the trolls. If we ignore him, he'll go away.

big-fat-troll

Reaction score
Quite frankly, the Cowboys aren't going to be great in 2 seasons. You need to be crappy for a while to be good again. Sure, the Cowboys may win 8-9 games this season, and maybe 10 the next, but what does that get you, other than a loss come playoff time? Not to mention, 3-4 years down the road, they'll end up like the Titans, having to be cut crazy. Now the Titans ****ed up bad, so it won't be nearly as bad as that, but if you don't think 5 years down the road, then you will be cutting important people. And especially since the Cowboys are not going to win a superbowl in the next 2 years with all the holes they have. I know it feels good to finally be signing some players, unlike last year, and they do have the space now, but it could hurt in the future.

Also, how good is Ferguson? He was a decent player for the Jets for quite a while, however he never stood out. Suddenly in his contract year, he began to stand out. Is that the type of guy you want on your team? I wouldn't think so.

Bledsoe was cheap, so he doesn't matter.

The other two signings were very expensive and will cost in the long run.

If you are happy with 8-10 win seasons, and doing nothing in the playoffs, and then ending up cutting your guys 3-4 years down the line, have fun.

Just let me point out one thing to you. How many marquee free agency signings have the Patriots made in the past several years? They have been building a team. The Cowboys are building a collection of high value guys that will end up burning their ***** in the future.

Flame me now!!!

However, I will give you the fact that linemen can play when they are older, but they aren't any different than normal players in the regards that their best years are behind them.

MikeD17 said:
bro shut your mouth. dallas is doing an awesome job, there fillling in the holes with upgrade across the board.

dallas is trying to make a run in the next 2 seasons.

you people are so worried about 5 years down the road , im sick of that crap lets win now baby. stop your whining you sound like a damn woman :iggles:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Well the way I look at it.........I'll have to say JJ & BP have done very well.

We pluged 4 Big Holes and compared to what other teams will pay for the same position players ...we got a KMart special.

The contracts are front loaded therefore we get 3-4 years out of theses guys we have done great.

The plan is win now and will admit they seem to be sticking to the plan.

We still need a playmaker on both sides of the ball.

Oilerman. go play some Madden and have your own Christmas in March.

See, even grandpa cant remember when Houston was good... :D

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
See, even grandpa cant remember when Houston was good... :D

When The Big Earl played for them........that's been a few years.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
VoR said:
Right on.
All these couch coaches love how this looks on paper - and it always does look good. Parcells hasn't signed any players young since he arrived, they've all been hovering at 30 years old or older. That really helped us last year.
We'll see how all these guys are talking in 2 years when these fossils are washed up and the salary cap is screwed.
And they thought this last year was bad..................hahahaha!

HoR, We're upgrading for this year. We still have 10 million in salary cap money. Who says we're going to spend any more?

How is the cap going to be screwed?

I'm confused. :confused:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Hey gang--for this particular poster

Please don't feed the trolls. If we ignore him, he'll go away.

:D ....Don't you dare ruin my fun Kitty.....I live for these days. :D

Pooz

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
They grossly overpaid for the CB, but other than that, the rest of the signings look decent and justifiable.
You have to now days. Would you rather have Ty Law in a wheelchair for 20 million a year? Henry is the shizzle you'll see.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
OILERMAN said:
I'm not a Texan fan, I'm a Titan fan.

Boy you must be upset...your team is gonna be really bad...worse than WE were last year...thats bad ;(

ravidubey

Reaction score
OILERMAN said:
Look I know most people are going to be happy no matter what and a Dallas fan is going to be glad no matter who is signed and how much money is spent.

But the money the Cowboys are spending on these free agents is laughable. This looks like Dan Snyder.

Bledoe, Ferguson, Henry and now Riverea.

Bledsoe was cheap I'll give the Cowboys and that and Ferguson is a good player and you need a solid NT for the 3-4.

But 11 mill up front for Herny and 9 mill for a 33yr old guard is completely stupid.

Show me a team that has went crazy the first few days of free agency and it has worked? Free agents also get overpaid out of the gates.

Parcells doesn't care because he won't be around much longer

This is the reality of the NFL. If you don't draft well you will be forced to pay market value for good free agents. BTW, 33 is not old for an offensive lineman.

I think the cornerback position is totally out of whack with reality, but those are the prices. Why do you think so many CB's have hit the FA market? Because the teams they were on wouldn't pay those bonuses to begin with.

Just imagine, Champ Bailey got an 18 million dollar signing bonus last year and was routinely burned up and down the field all year. Even Antione Winfield got 10 million (last year), and no one would claim he's extraordinary-- in fact I'd equate Henry with Winfield.

OILERMAN

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Just imagine, Champ Bailey got an 18 million dollar signing bonus last year and was routinely burned up and down the field all year. Even Antione Winfield got 10 million (last year), and no one would claim he's extraordinary.

Thanks for proving my point

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
fthecowgirls said:
Just let me point out one thing to you. How many marquee free agency signings have the Patriots made in the past several years?

Well, just off the top of my head, Roosevelt Colvin, Tyrone Poole, Corey Dillon come to mind. Dillon was technically a trade. This year they went out and got Starks already.

Do you think Philly would have been as good as they were in 2004 without Kearse and Owens?

Just because you sign free agents doesn't automatically disqualify you from the Super Bowl. You have to sign the right free agents, though.

The 3 guys that the Cowboys signed today are going to eat up $3 or $4 million dollars a year each for the next 3 of 4 years. Thats really not that bad when the cap is $80 million and you can only carry 45 guys.

Flashback!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
OILERMAN said:
Look I know most people are going to be happy no matter what and a Dallas fan is going to be glad no matter who is signed and how much money is spent.

But the money the Cowboys are spending on these free agents is laughable. This looks like Dan Snyder.

Bledoe, Ferguson, Henry and now Riverea.

Bledsoe was cheap I'll give the Cowboys and that and Ferguson is a good player and you need a solid NT for the 3-4.

But 11 mill up front for Herny and 9 mill for a 33yr old guard is completely stupid.

Show me a team that has went crazy the first few days of free agency and it has worked? Free agents also get overpaid out of the gates.

Parcells doesn't care because he won't be around much longer

The signings are quite good actually.
10.2 for Henry is simply market rate. Lucas just got 13 up front and averages 8 per. WOW. Rolle wants 15 mil up front. Smoot 15 mil up front.

The cap increased by 6 % so all these guys want 6% more than what their counterparts got last year.

Bledsoe was very cheap by QB standards.
Ferguson was quit ein line with NT's and he needed to be paid because the Jets were hot on his trail.
Rivera is a Pro Bowl type OG.

Cap money only matters if you spend it. Dallas is smart to spend it and in getting Ferguson at 30 and Henry at 28 they got good young players. Rivera is here to bridge until Peterman takes over at OG and to help develop the team mindset on the OL which was quite evident at his press conference.

Jerry actually addressed this saying teams who let a guy go know more than you so you have to want different things from the same player to get value. You cant expect to out evaulate a guys former team who had him every day.

Dallas went into this with a plan and it has worked quite well thus far.

Dallas also front loaded these deals so they wont be mortagaging the future. Because they had eschewed these rich contracts for a couple of years they have ample leeway.

Free agency is much like the draft a small crap shoot. The best way to handle it is to get multiple players and expect to hit on 3/4's of them. If you never sign any free agencies you wont have busts but you also wont be very good.

And signing these guys before the draft is absolutely mandatory. Otherwise you go in reaching for position.

Dallas has hired Cleveland's Defensive backs coach so Dallas actually does know more about him than any team in the league with the coaching changes there. He was their top CB and is being asked here to be the 2nd guy. Ferguson will be asked to start but not play every down. Leo Carson can hold up for 15 snaps a game. Rivera will be more than fine. He's smart, strong and doesn't get hurt much.

This isn't Washington where a non-football guy signed all the biggest names he could and handed them to a coach. This was a coach and owner deciding together who to go after then the owner paying the dough to get guys who were agreed upon.

I dont expect all these guys to be great but this wasn't last second panic like Wiley last season or Goodrich/Larrimore in the draft.

These were calculated decisions much like bringing in Dan Campbell, Terry Glenn, KJ, Richie Anderson and others who had a role to fill.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Man I miss the days of the Houston Oilers, getting embarrassed by Jerry Glanville, the Run-N-Shoot, Ryan punching Gilbride in a nationally televised game, choking against Buffalo (A Bills fan had the best sign in a MNF game the following year "Hey Houston, we'll spot you 32 points")

*Wiping a tear from the eye* Ahh yes, good memories.

Bullet22

Reaction score
It's Jerry's money..so why are people crying about spending too much money...I want to win now, to hell with the future. the future is now..