CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Not trying to be a bungholio but if you only get joy from watching your favorite sports team when they win, then I recommend you get another hobby.

Of course, as a fan, I want my team to win and get more joy out of watching the games when they win but I love football and sports in general. And I get great joy just watching my favorite teams play and compete. Period. Win or lose.

Have you seen the Cowboys win a SB or more in your lifetime? I bet you did. It's easy to preach the positive attitude when you've tasted victory multiple times. The only thing fans my age have tasted so far is disappointment and heartbreak, year after year. It takes a toll on you.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
At least you didn't get to watch their dynasty years like I have. My expectations are so much higher. They've worn me down to the point where I almost don't care anymore. I've gone from optimistic to extremely pessimistic with this team nowadays...

fan since the 60’s . Saw the early can’t win big one era with Landry

suffered the early SB loss at GB then glory of finally arriving with Stabauch, the Pittsburgh SB losses . Then the catch “ SF game and NFC losses with Danny White, the desert years till Jimmy J arrived and we were multiple SB champs and even 1 with Switzer

Used to be expectations of at least getting to division round or NFC championship.

Like the Springsteen song it now feels like “ glory days” as the drought is 20+ years in the making and we deal with “ fools gold” as we always seem deficient in big games.

Will remain a boys fan but realist now re ever getting back to that old confidence level watching the boys play.

Zman5

Reaction score
Have you seen the Cowboys win a SB or more in your lifetime? I bet you did. It's easy to preach the positive attitude when you've tasted victory multiple times. The only thing fans my age have tasted so far is disappointment and heartbreak, year after year. It takes a toll on you.

I've been a fan of other sports teams that hasn't won a championship and hasn't been good for a long time, but I still get joy from watching them. As I said, I still get joy from playing/watching sports more for the sport itself. Not just when my favorite team is winning.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

Getting old? Too much social media?

Some of it may just be us changing. I know I used to be much more excited about games. Last few seasons sometimes I didn't care enough to make a point of watching.

A game barely holds my attention when I do watch.

The Forum is really more engaging to me than the games.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, I've gotta admit, my disappointment was devastating by way our loss to Green Bay, Sunday. Last year, I elected to satisfy myself with being "entertained," since Jerry Jones seemed fairly content with that being our fate, also. Now, I'm planning on taking each game with a grain of salt. I'll become more of a "casual" observer, to placate my sad desire for something akin to having a "safety net" to rely upon. Unexpected losses may rear their ugly heads again, soon.

Last edited:

Vabchshark

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

I am right there with you my fellow Boys fan.....I have been a fan since I was 7 years old, and I was born in 1960, the same year this team was established! I even wear the hat that says "Established in 1960"......To this day Roger Staubach is my all-time favorite Dallas Cowboy, Tom Landry my favorite coach, as he always reminded me of my own father!......

I've been around on these forums for a number of years just reading comments mostly, as I don't tend to post much. Though after yesterday's performance, I feel what you are saying. After 54 years of being a die-hard fan of this team, having a full room in my house devoted to them (The Cowboy's Room), filled with all kinds of paraphernalia that I have purchased over the years, and others have given me as gifts, knowing my love of the team, and the joy they have given me over these many years. I have stopped buying tickets to games and merchandise the past couple years, as part of my own little boycott, as my joy has dwindled also.

I will continue to root for them, as I love this team, and cannot help myself unfortunately, though I will try not to expect as much from them going forward. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Won’t disagree it’s the run D but my point remains it isn’t easy to win in this league
Cowboys find different ways to screw up. Stupid penalties , bad routes , unwise throws

total agreement

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

As long as we have amatuers running the front office this is what you are going to get.
The NFL is too competetive.
We are at too much of a competetive disadvantage to overcome this dynamic.
We may win some games in the regular season, but are not going to win in the playoffs.
So I just try and enjoy each game of the season knowing the above is true.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

oh, I lost the joy a couple of years back. now I don't care any more...I no longer revolve my sundays on Cowboys games. if I watch. I watch. if I miss it. I miss it. I have missed start of all the games this year. I know how the story ends, so its like watching a repeat for the 28th time. I know the ending, so there is no thrill any longer.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

This is just a thought dump from a frustrated and worn-out fan. Take it for what it is.
After hiring Garrett and wasting 10 years of my life waiting for this joke of a coach to be gone, I thought my enjoyment would return. Now Jerry gives big money to the Garrett of quarterbacks. Just think 3 more years and we will have ten years of Jason as a quarterback.
Yeah, I'm enjoying this crap. Honestly only time I have enjoyed watching this year was during the Rush playing time.

75boyz

Reaction score
After hiring Garrett and wasting 10 years of my life waiting for this joke of a coach to be gone, I thought my enjoyment would return. Now Jerry gives big money to the Garrett of quarterbacks. Just think 3 more years and we will have ten years of Jason as a quarterback.
Yeah, I'm enjoying this crap. Honestly only time I have enjoyed watching this year was during the Rush playing time.

Yep Crash, and an extension for the QB next year to lower the '23 and '24 cap hits along with promoting Garrett Part II in Moore.

Even more good times ahead I tell ya, lol.

starman22

Reaction score
Lol y’all never disappoint ! It’s possible we go in next week and beat minny

it’s hard to win in this league and it’s a week to week league

how many of you had them winning todays game with early predictions ? Probably not many yet a lot of you buried the packers recently

every week is different except our run defense that’s the same

BAD

That doesn't matter, win or lose we are not invested in it like we used to be. It doesn't matter if we win against Minny. We all know at the end of the season where the Cowboys will be when the final games of the season are played.

starfan1

Reaction score
That doesn't matter, win or lose we are not invested in it like we used to be. It doesn't matter if we win against Minny. We all know at the end of the season where the Cowboys will be when the final games of the season are played.

no we don’t know anything for sure but if they cause you misery why watch