The Cowboys can use Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
The "leadership" aspect is junk media narrative that means nothing. As far as play I don't think Dak really brings much when the team isn't down tbh. People see numbers but don't take into context how them numbers came about.

This is another narrative he’s actually good when he’s down. I posted a thread awhile back on his situation stats when you narrow the window down to the last four minutes of football, down by 7, when there is actually a chance for the team to win with Dak as QB. He’s not even in the league average.

This year, for example, he is actually 22 for 36, meaning a 61.1% clip with a whopping 4.6 YPA, no TDs, 1 INT, and a whopping 27.8% first down percentage with only one deep pass over 20 yards. His rating is a 60.8.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
This is another narrative he’s actually good when he’s down. I posted a thread awhile back on his situation stats when you narrow the window down to the last four minutes of football, down by 7, when there is actually a chance for the team to win with Dak as QB. He’s not even in the league average.

This year, he is actually 22 for 36, meaning a 61.1% clip with a whopping 4.6 YPA, no TDs, 1 INT, and a whopping 27.8% first down percentage with only one deep pass over 20 yards. His rating is a 60.8.
I'm not surprised even though I didn't know the actual numbers. I saw this without seeing the numbers. Anytime Dak has big numbers were usually down by a few tds late. I'm not sure but has he even had a game like that Romo Broncos game where it was consistent putting up numbers the whole game and not some big yards when the team was down 2/3 tds in the 4th? I think Dak is average but just not some next level QB like some think on here based off of mainly inflated numbers and an outlier season from 4 years ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until the Cowboys know at which position they'll be drafting, this is all premature.

If they end up at 6-10, they will need to sign Prescott as it is unknown about the cap for 2021 and the tag will be too high. Have to think they were talking about a long term deal under that tag amount before time ran out.

If they end up in the top 5, now they have a decision to make whether to take a shot at a QB and let him walk and have more cap space.

The real decision that has to be made is can the Cowboys fix their other problems on the D and OL paying Prescott top 5 QB money and is he a value at that?

I think one thing even the most positive posters have realized after watching this team, they are farther away than closer to being a contender. Injuries are just part of this and coaching may be a concern as well.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak tears.....as even he knows his career in Dallas ended with that injury.

5f838e6e642e9400180b5419

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The point being made is that signing Dak to a lucrative extension will not benefit this team given all the holes throughout the defense in addition to a depleted offensive line so perhaps it is time to blow up the team by signing Dak to a non-exclusive franchise tag and allowing him to offer his services elsewhere while recouping draft pick compensation.
The point made is that it would be ridiculous to draft another QB while taking the chance this QB would amount to anything close to what Dak has displayed. Plus, it would most likely take at least a year or two for said drafted QB to become ready to play up to par in the NFL, time this current team of talent in its prime does not have to simply throw away for an inexperienced rookie QB. ALSO, Dak's injury enables the Cowboys and Dak to negotiate a lesser contract where it would be more friendly to the team.

If by March, Dak is able to prove to team doctors that he is healing well and able to move around without much issues, Jerry should resign Dak. If Dak does not show signs of healing well or starts having problems with his injured leg area, definitely the Cowboys should look to drafting his replacement the following month in April.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm not surprised even though I didn't know the actual numbers. I saw this without seeing the numbers. Anytime Dak has big numbers were usually down by a few tds late. I'm not sure but has he even had a game like that Romo Broncos game where it was consistent putting up numbers the whole game and not some big yards when the team was down 2/3 tds in the 4th? I think Dak is average but just not some next level QB like some think on here based off of mainly inflated numbers and an outlier season from 4 years ago.

QB situational stats tell us a story closer to the truth. If you notice in the numbers, the stats also tally the TOTAL number of attempts when behind, so they don’t even break down being down from 16 points and above. That even inflated his numbers even more.

When he’s tied or even ahead, it’s just mediocrity.

Another trend to look at is, how he performs away from home and one grass, when our speedy WRs aren’t burning everybody in man coverage. He isn’t throwing any passes over 20 yards This trend explains a lot regarding him, particularly this supposed “Dak air-attack”...

I used to say Dak was the ideal back-up, but his supporters have tried to make him into a living legend, after this team wasted a SB-ready roster for him and everybody else is banned for him.

https://www.nfl.com/players/dak-prescott/stats/situational

Philmonroe

Reaction score
QB situational stats tell us a story closer to the truth. If you notice in the numbers, the stats also tally the TOTAL number of attempts when behind, so they don’t even break down being down from 16 points and above. That even inflated his numbers even more.

When he’s tied or even ahead, it’s just mediocrity.

Another trend to look at is, how he performs away from home and one grass, when our speedy WRs aren’t burning everybody in man coverage. He isn’t throwing any passes over 20 yards This trend explains a lot regarding him, particularly this supposed “Dak air-attack”...

I used to say Dak was the ideal back-up, but his supporters have tried to make him into a living legend, after this team wasted a SB-ready roster for him and everybody else is banned for him.

https://www.nfl.com/players/dak-prescott/stats/situational
In fairness how does his stats compare to other qb's esp the top level ones?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
It would be "The Great Train Robbery", part two.
And if they can deal Zeke and get something for him, do that, too.
This team needs A LOT of help.
:lmao2::lmao:Dude, this ain't Madden :lmao::lmao::lmao2::facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score

The only respectable comparison you can have with Dalton and Dak, and this is with Zach Martin in, is the Giants game when Dallas had to win and Moore actually had to resort to similar play-calling.

The real outlier is Moore is completely in over his head in this garbage paper-tiger passing attack that has no real RG to back it up. Linehan built this simplified offense around play-action for Dak and Moore has pretty much carried it through, but the difference is Moore has completely abandoned the running game and has Dak throwing way more on first down, from shotgun with Zeke in the back-field.

Again, even before Dak went down, those watching him began to notice how much teams started key-ing into how he stares down his WRs. Watch every throw against the Browns here, particularly the Cooper TD and the same Cooper INT that sealed the game. Both of them completely stare-downs begging for INTs.

Even the first drive that actually moved the ball, half of them were on two dump offs on a bootleg play-action roll-out that got then to mid-field. Then Lamb gets completely wide open on a deep routes on single coverage on you guess it, turf.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
I do think that his value has increased...

But I can't think of a team that would be willing to spend that much to get him on top of having to pay him.

khiladi

Reaction score
In fairness how does his stats compare to other qb's esp the top level ones?

I’m looking for the thread I posted earlier which breaks it down to some degree, but here is the case FOR Dak regarding his ‘clutch’ ability,

https://sportdfw.com/2019/05/30/dallas-cowboys-clutch-dak-prescott/amp/1

It’s a thread by the author that continued over four articles, not very long. It’s actually well-balanced and makes a strong case for, PRE 2019 Dak. If you decide to read it or not, I’ll actually point out why he doesn’t make the case he thinks he does, especially if we to look back at Dak today.

These numbers are totaled from when he began up until 2018, meaning they are imbalanced towards the first year when Zeke was there dominant. This ties into how wildly inconsistent and awful Dak was going into the fourth and at the same time, which the author points out, THE DEFENSE DOING IT’S JOB. It is also the era of Linehan, NOT MOORE.

The author actually does point out much of this context, but he fails to credit Dak’s numbers were like that, in that the human factor of defenses playing not three quarters but four quarters, against the most dominant OL and RG in the league, meaning defenses get tired and exhausted. He states in the second article:

You might look at this data and think his clutch ability is manufactured. I agree with this claim but not for the reason you think. It’s not Dak who’s “manufacturing” these wins, it’s the Cowboys offensive scheme.

The Dallas Cowboys have made it clear that they live through the run first approach and want to play smash mouth football. Unfortunately, that smash mouth football approach has created unintended consequences...

...The Cowboys love to run the ball especially on first down. This means Dak is hopefully only throwing to move the sticks and no more. If the opposing defense is competent, the Cowboys aren’t able to run in the fourth quarter because team’s learn to game plan against it.

In the fourth quarter, as evident from above, there is no consistency in the running game. With a wildly inconsistent running game at a time where consistency is possibly the most important thing, the Cowboys are having to lean on Dak to break the tie. Fortunately, Dak does that quite well.

Considering the data above comes from wins with game winning drives, the only explanation for these wins would be an effective passing game. Guess who orchestrates that?

Here is a table which compares play in those wins I’d here:

Basically, the author argues that Dak is orchestrating it, but what he fails to understand is that he was able to orchestrate it as a GAME MANAGER in the fourth, when defenses were WORN OUT, while targeting the run. Defenses were essentially DARING Dak to beat them. And because of that Linehan would take some shots with him or defenses were simply getting burned in the process, but big yardage runs after the catch like the Rod Smith 80 yarder and Cole Beasley fifty yarder dump offs. So he would be correct I would argue that Dak was winning games, but he was doing it as a GAME MANAGER, very risk averse in the process. That is what the Dak critics have been saying for years and what they mean by the “eye-test”.

The author also compiled Zeke’s numbers during the fourth which actually re-enforce the point, that Dak was being the game manager, but also another trend, which was that when Dallas wasn’t significantly running well in the fourth, Linehan was still running the ball, to keep the defenses completely honest. And there are also quite a number of games where Zeke still was netting major yardage per carry.

Also, another trend to point out is how awful these teams were anyways. 2018, post Cooper we weren’t winning anything and after Cooper post 2018, we beat bad teams and definitely not even close to beating teams like the Colts who doubled Cooper and we were shut out in the process. Dak’s numbers even with Cooper were completely garbage against zones in 2018, meaning Dak FINALLY started simply taking advantages of situations where corners were sitting on routes with no safety help and that happened the Eagles game when Cooper yelled at Dak that this was what was happening.

Now remember, this is all PRE “Dak-attack” garbage yardage numbers, when he couldn’t even lead a team from a comeback all last year when down by half-time and when we only got one win against a play-off team. In reality, he argues the case FOR Linehan, the guy who was scapegoated by Dez Bryant included as the reason for Dak sucking. And now we are on the era of “snap the ball to Zeke three times in an empty backfield” Moore expecting magic to happen. The worst thing that Moore did was to completely change the play calling to a style that made it even harder for a struggling team to gain some consistency. It was no surprise that as soon as Moore went back to regular play calling even DeNucci moved the ball to a degree in this offense.

And also to point out in our second year of Moore, it’s clear Zeke’s lost a step and this offense with a battered OL is completely in la la land, meaning we wasted years catering to Dak, thinking he could ‘game manage’ us to victory and that when it didn’t work out, he ‘matured’ into this supposed big-armed QB, who still can’t process the field well, as is attested to his top 4 ranking two years in a row, including 2018 which encompasses the numbers here, of drop in QB rating from first to second read progressions of any QB, with not just one good WR, but multiple WRs.

/

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Tell us how many times a team has given up two first round picks for the pleasure of signing an expensive free agent. It won't take long.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak tears.....as even he knows his career in Dallas ended with that injury.

5f838e6e642e9400180b5419

It's one thing to want a different QB but it's odd how some of you act like the guy molested your sister.

49q3x0.gif