The Cowboy's cap projection over the next 3 years

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m curious to know:

If YOU - with zero experience - were installed as the GM of an NFL team, how many years of OTJ training would it take for you to become something more than ‘an amateur’? I guess you’re conceding that you, no matter how many years you were given, could never adequately manage a franchise, right?
Correct,
An NFL GM takes a certain skill set that many don't possess.
Nothing wrong with that.
A man has to know his limitations.
I think after 28 straight years of no NFCCG appearances, we can safely conclude that Jerry does not have what it takes to be a professional GM.

CoachD

Reaction score
The cap for the Cowboys could be 1 billion but it won't make any difference whatsoever the Cowboys don't spend squat in FA.

CoachD

Reaction score
I’m curious to know:

If YOU - with zero experience - were installed as the GM of an NFL team, how many years of OTJ training would it take for you to become something more than ‘an amateur’? I guess you’re conceding that you, no matter how many years you were given, could never adequately manage a franchise, right?
All I have to say is hire me now and find out how fast the roster would change and I mean over night.

IMGumby

Reaction score
We're gonna own free agency the next few years.
Not sure that 's going to be the case.
Put in context with other teams for cap space in those years the Cowboys rank in cap space is (1st is most / 32nd least):
2025 - 22nd (D. Lawrence, Zack Martin, & Brandon Cooks are VOID years w/ approx. $38M in dead money)
2026 - 17th
2027 - 23rd
The cumulative cap space for all teams for the next three years has Washington at #1 with $526M, Cleveland 32nd with $132M, and the Cowboys at 22nd with $274M.

conner01

Reaction score
Not sure that 's going to be the case.
Put in context with other teams for cap space in those years the Cowboys rank in cap space is (1st is most / 32nd least):
2025 - 22nd (D. Lawrence, Zack Martin, & Brandon Cooks are VOID years w/ approx. $38M in dead money)
2026 - 17th
2027 - 23rd
The cumulative cap space for all teams for the next three years has Washington at #1 with $526M, Cleveland 32nd with $132M, and the Cowboys at 22nd with $274M.
Nice work. Commanders are in great shape. Lots of cash and cheap QB over next 3 years. Ours will change if/when mica is signed.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I won't argue that the Cowboys are choosing to be cheap, but there is context missing from that tweet. It does not take into account how many players (and quality of players) are under contract in each of those years.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

jerry likes his guys

giphy.gif

BKBDAD

Reaction score
Three Super Bowl wins in four years, pretty damn good. If your issue is what's up recently, 36 wins in the previous 3 seasons and made the playoffs each time. Still pretty damn good.

Three Super Bowl wins in four years, pretty damn good. If your issue is what's up recently, 36 wins in the previous 3 seasons and made the playoffs each time. Still pretty damn good. :thumbup:
Either you’re joking or you are totally clueless!!! The Cowboys haven’t been in a NFC Championship game let alone a Super Bowl in 29 years this coming February! There is an entire generation who hasn’t seen “America’s Team” come close to sniffing success! Super Bowls are the measuring stick for great organization’s and Jerry & Sons, without Jimmy Johnson have failed miserably!! Sounds like you need to go root for a team like Jacksonville or Cleveland!

BKBDAD

Reaction score
I'm not in the building, so I have no idea how responsibilities are delegated and SO many other things. I know this: I'm 100% sure I could be a competent GM in less than 20 years OTJ. Every bit of my experience climbing various business ladders, founding and selling businesses, and never hitting the Peter Principle makes me believe in myself. I also think Jerry is WAY smarter than many here give him credit for being.....probably a lot smarter than me.

This team has had great success over the past three years. Yes, we've floundered in the playoffs, but that isn't Jerry Jones' fault. He and his team put together the personnel that could win. That they didn't is just a part of football.

I think this was the team's worst off-season in recent memory, and I have no problem blaming Jerry for that. Again though, I wasn't in the building and don't know enough about cap management, personnel management, ongoing negotiations, etc. to be able to intelligently weigh in other than to say I'm disappointed.
You think the Jones’ have put the personnel in place to win but the proof is in the pudding’!! Not one appearance in a NFC Championship let alone a Super Bowl appearance come this February in 29 seasons! Let that sink in for a while! IT IS COMPLETELY JERRY’S FAULT!

Daillest88

Reaction score
29 million with 20 to push over to next year, possible cuts if we wanted too Steele post June would be 13 million, Wilson and hooker could be cuts, could save alot of money

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Either you’re joking or you are totally clueless!!! The Cowboys haven’t been in a NFC Championship game let alone a Super Bowl in 29 years this coming February! There is an entire generation who hasn’t seen “America’s Team” come close to sniffing success! Super Bowls are the measuring stick for great organization’s and Jerry & Sons, without Jimmy Johnson have failed miserably!! Sounds like you need to go root for a team like Jacksonville or Cleveland!
That entire generation that hasn't seen "America's Team" come close are victims of their own early age. From their perspective, hell yes, they should be upset about the Cowboys lack of getting it done, but that's not me and I don't agree. I still fondly remember the Cowboys winning three Super Bowls in four years. I'll never get over it. I'm not going to apologize if you didn't share in that experience.