The Cowboys have a Personality Problem

sideon

Reaction score
Don't blame Murray because he's just being who he is, they know this and that's why he was invited back because SAS can take all the shots he wants without the fear of being checked. They won't book Dez because he'll punch back at anyone who tries to get loud with him, i would love to see him go at Skip who's been ridiculously critical of him over the littlest things.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Don't blame Murray because he's just being who he is, they know this and that's why he was invited back because SAS can take all the shots he wants without the fear of being checked. They won't book Dez because he'll punch back at anyone who tries to get loud with him, i would love to see him go at Skip who's been ridiculously critical of him over the littlest things.

I disagree with that characterization of Dez. Dez is humble and soft-spoken and the kind of aggression where you see him in the face of someone like Deangelo Hall is on-field stuff only. I think Dez would disarm First Take's antics because he is pretty charming when he wants to be. I don't think Dez would go off on anybody.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
how in the heck did you come up with this....Who was the team that played the Eagles in the last game, that team did not give up, they punched back. Who was the team that punched back on the Commanders in a must win game, and seems to me any other QB would have left that game, but no, Romo punched backed and won the game....

They lost against the Eagles bruh.

And the Skins were a 3 win team last year.

When we play real bullies, like Seattle when Sean Lee got pulverized by Golden Tate and the rest of the team just wanted to get out of there, or how the Giants have bullied us around for years, this team backs down when the opponent gets in their face. No Enforcers or Dogs on this team... Except Dez Bryant, but we're trying to domesticate him too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They lost against the Eagles bruh.

And the Skins were a 3 win team last year.

When we play real bullies, like Seattle when Sean Lee got pulverized by Golden Tate and the rest of the team just wanted to get out of there, or how the Giants have bullied us around for years, this team backs down when the opponent gets in their face. No Enforcers or Dogs on this team... Except Dez Bryant, but we're trying to domesticate him too.

I was referring to how hard they played. Not that they really won or lost. Every player can get pulverized now and then.
Troy aikman said the greatest game he ever was a part of, was the loss to the 49ers in the NFC championship game.
Emmitt had his not so great games too.
Dallas won 3 out of the last 4 against the Giants. Won 4 of the last 7. Sure one can go back before that, but anyone can cherry pick, as i just did. How is this being bullied?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I was referring to how hard they played. Not that they really won or lost. Every player can get pulverized now and then.
Troy aikman said the greatest game he ever was a part of, was the loss to the 49ers in the NFC championship game.
Emmitt had his not so great games too.
Dallas won 3 out of the last 4 against the Giants. Won 4 of the last 7. Sure one can go back before that, but anyone can cherry pick, as i just did. How is this being bullied?

The 2nd half collapses and blow outs like Chicago and New Orleans are just a microcosm of how this team checks out when it faces some adversity in a game. They've lacked mental and physical toughness for years, no coincidence they haven't seen a winning record in half a decade.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2nd half collapses and blow outs like Chicago and New Orleans are just a microcosm of how this team checks out when it faces some adversity in a game. They've lacked mental and physical toughness for years, no coincidence they haven't seen a winning record in half a decade.

Don't agree with this at all. We lack an adequate defense. When you're playing Drew Brees in NOLA with no pass rush, compromised coverage LBs, and sitting in zone, you get eaten alive. That's what happens, and it's what we should have expected.

This team's effort and heart is in the right place. We need more talent and depth on defense.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't agree with this at all. We lack an adequate defense. When you're playing Drew Brees in NOLA with no pass rush, compromised coverage LBs, and sitting in zone, you get eaten alive. That's what happens, and it's what we should have expected.

This team's effort and heart is in the right place. We need more talent and depth on defense.
I was sitting nine rows back behind our bench in the Superdome that game, surrounded by Saints fans. Many sitting close by were clowning me in the first half. Who could blame them? By the second half though, several were actually apologizing to me about my defense. Even in the midst of that buttkicking, fans of the other team, in their own house, could acknowledge Dallas's main problem.

I had a pretty strong feeling how bad it would get when Lee went down in the first half. I'm glad no one (I think) was videotaping me with a cellphone because I screamed out like a little ***** when it happened. It took all the wind out of my sails. When you're only a few yards away from the field, you could plainly see Drew Brees getting literally zero pressure. Zero. Nothing. I'm praying this group can manufacture true pressure from the edges. That night DeMarcus Ware was barely giving his blocker a workout. The whole game was really sad. The walk back to our hotel was worst. :(

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was sitting nine rows back behind our bench in the Superdome that game, surrounded by Saints fans. Many sitting close by were clowning me in the first half. Who could blame them? By the second half though, several were actually apologizing to me about my defense. Even in the midst of that buttkicking, fans of the other team, in their own house, could acknowledge Dallas's main problem.

I had a pretty strong feeling how bad it would get when Lee went down in the first half. I'm glad no one (I think) was videotaping me with a cellphone because I screamed out like a little ***** when it happened. It took all the wind out of my sails. When you're only a few yards away from the field, you could plainly see Drew Brees getting literally zero pressure. Zero. Nothing. I'm praying this group can manufacture true pressure from the edges. That night DeMarcus Ware was barely giving his blocker a workout. The whole game was really sad. The walk back to our hotel was worst. :(

It was awful. It was going to be one of those games where we held the line for three quarters and then let it slip anyway. But, as you say, the minute Lee went down we were exposed. Not only could we not get pressure on Brees, but we couldn't cover the backs out of the backfield, the TE in the seam and the WRs--eventually--downfield. That's a recipe for 41 first-downs or whatever ridiculous number we gave up.

Absent a Romo-led shootout like we had in Denver, we weren't getting out of that game, anyway. And the offense was in no position that night to keep pace. Just an all-around butt kicking. Definitely embarrassing, but not a function of the player giving up or lacking heart. We simply couldn't match up and didn't have a prayer.

birdwells1

Reaction score

I agree, we've had losses such as @ Jets, Lions, @ Lions, and GB, this team doesn't have anyone to turn to when adversity strikes, no one to stem the tide. When things start to go bad they usually end up that way, I know when I see it I think "uh oh, I know how this story ends" and some of the players feel that way also. The person doesn't have to be a player it can also come from the head coach or coaching staff.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I agree, we've had losses such as @ Jets, Lions, @ Lions, and GB, this team doesn't have anyone to turn to when adversity strikes, no one to stem the tide. When things start to go bad they usually end up that way, I know when I see it I think "uh oh, I know how this story ends" and some of the players feel that way also. The person doesn't have to be a player it can also come from the head coach or coaching staff.

It's obvious the team lacks the mental makeup to combat adversity when the tide starts going against them. I mean, it's pretty remarkable how some of our fans here can act like that doesn't happen.. When it's happened time and time again, year after year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's obvious the team lacks the mental makeup to combat adversity when the tide starts going against them. I mean, it's pretty remarkable how some of our fans here can act like that doesn't happen.. When it's happened time and time again, year after year.

It's not obvious at all. We lack a sufficient pass defense. This is why the tide turns against us in the first place. Mental makeup doesn't pressure a QB. It doesn't play safety.

What's remarkable to me is that any fans can see this happen so obviously and still think the issue is mental toughness. Or game planning. Or whatever the other obvious distractions from the real problems are.

I mean, really: how bad does the defense have to play before some of you guys will be comfortable sitting there and saying 'yeah, the problem is probably the defense'? What levels of historic ineptitude do we have to plumb before we stop talking about 3rd down conversions on offense. Or about Tony Romo's productivity after a turnover? If they hypothetically were to never stop a team, ever, I mean, not make a single tackle the whole season....we'd still have people complaining about not running the ball enough. It's crazy.

birdwells1

Reaction score
It's not obvious at all. We lack a sufficient pass defense. This is why the tide turns against us in the first place. Mental makeup doesn't pressure a QB. It doesn't play safety.

What's remarkable to me is that any fans can see this happen so obviously and still think the issue is mental toughness. Or game planning. Or whatever the other obvious distractions from the real problems are.

I mean, really: how bad does the defense have to play before some of you guys will be comfortable sitting there and saying 'yeah, the problem is probably the defense'? What levels of historic ineptitude do we have to plumb before we stop talking about 3rd down conversions on offense. Or about Tony Romo's productivity after a turnover? If they hypothetically were to never stop a team, ever, I mean, not make a single tackle the whole season....we'd still have people complaining about not running the ball enough. It's crazy.

The defense was playing well @ Jets and vs Lions, lets not act like the defense has been bad every year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense was playing well @ Jets and vs Lions, lets not act like the defense has been bad every year.

It's been awfully bad the last three years. I don't think it's acting.

Every team has stronger and weaker defensive performances. That's not how you measure a defense overall. You look at the points given up/defensive series. And you look at passing effectiveness against. We're bad, and it's keeping us out of the playoffs and from winning games against good teams.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
how in the heck did you come up with this....Who was the team that played the Eagles in the last game, that team did not give up, they punched back. Who was the team that punched back on the Commanders in a must win game, and seems to me any other QB would have left that game, but no, Romo punched backed and won the game....

He missed those 2 games

sideon

Reaction score
I disagree with that characterization of Dez. Dez is humble and soft-spoken and the kind of aggression where you see him in the face of someone like Deangelo Hall is on-field stuff only. I think Dez would disarm First Take's antics because he is pretty charming when he wants to be. I don't think Dez would go off on anybody.

I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing, I'm saying that while he is a genuinely nice person you can tell he's not going to just let you say whatever you want to him. Skip would get real disrespectful as he always does and he would get checked accordingly.

CCBoy

Reaction score

No, what is obvious is when something dangling below the waste is mistaken for something above it worth taking note. Oh yes, the bravery behind a key board and loud mouth...obvious!

Not even experience enough to have a basic respect when a person gets up, and gets better...instead of taking it and smiling, as this statement. The ONLY person defeated, is the one who doesn't get back up and continues with his job.

Zordon

Reaction score
Note to jerry...... Your team needs a strength and personality coach.
:D

Swagger comes with winning zordon . Until we do it's all idle talk. Besides we got rid of that no good non leader d ware. What more could you possibly want.

Getting rid of D Ware was a good start. I just don't think he had the personality to ever lead this defense. I disagree about winning leads to swagger. Seattle has had this "come at me bro" moxie for a few years now. It came from their head coach not the super bowl.

Jason Garrett is possibly the worst decision Jerry Jones has ever made. He has fostered an environment of saving your own *** by being politically correct and conservative. The team plays slow and tight, and lacks confidence. We will never do anything with Ginger here.

Tight is a very good word to describe this team under Garrett. Ever since that Choice fumble before the half vs. the Skins we've played not to lose.

Zordon

Reaction score
If Demarco gave a Seattle Seahawk interview everyone would be like

"Shut up and win, Cowboys haven't done anything to be talking like that."
Not me, I praised Crawford for his comments a few months back.

We definitely have a personality problem, but it isn't Demarco's personality. Our personality problem is that we accept mediocrity and excuse after excuse, which is what keeps us locked in mediocrity. I guarantee you Wagner won't have that cocky swagger if he was here on the Cowboys, And if he did, we'd call him out for being arrogant while losing.

This personalty problem extends to the fans. We have a country club team and fanbase.

Last edited: