The Cowboys Issues are Pretty Simple

birdwells1

Reaction score
1k words post for a simple problem?

Oh kay.....

Let me take a try. Id buy four (4) letters:

QB
FO
The simplicity is that there one commonality over the last 29 years or so and it's that this front office is run totally different than any other in sports. If I made you a GM and promised you 17 years of pro bowl level QB play for only one 4th round pick, even an inexperienced GM would get you to at least the NFCCG 3 times or more. These guys really don't know how to build a team to win a super bowl but they do know how to build one for profits.

THE MOST DYSFUNCTIONAL FRONT OFFICES OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS:

Washington with Dan Snyder, watch for the improvement over the next few years. It's addition by subtraction.
Dallas with the Joneses

Those just so happen to be the teams with the longest NFCCG drought.

The Lions were among the those 2 until last year but they got a new owner in 2020 and guess what? NFCCG appearance.
The Bengals were but owner Mike Brown gave up the day-to-day to a football guy and they get to a Super bowl. Imagine that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The simplicity is that there one commonality over the last 29 years or so and it's that this front office is run totally different than any other in sports. If I made you a GM and promised you 17 years of pro bowl level QB play for only one 4th round pick, even an inexperienced GM would get you to at least the NFCCG 3 times or more. These guys really don't know how to build a team to win a super bowl but they do know how to build one for profits.

THE MOST DYSFUNCTIONAL FRONT OFFICES OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS:

Washington with Dan Snyder, watch for the improvement over the next few years. It's addition by subtraction.
Dallas with the Joneses

Those just so happen to be the teams with the longest NFCCG drought.

The Lions were among the those 2 until last year but they got a new owner in 2020 and guess what? NFCCG appearance.
The Bengals were but owner Mike Brown gave up the day-to-day to a football guy and they get to a Super bowl. Imagine that.
I could argue it is longer than 29 years, with Jerry's handling of Jimmy Johnson.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They take their money personally that is why every family member has multiple job titles and why they don't pay the Cheerleaders worth the crap.

A water boy makes more money than a cheerleader.
Yes, they do. But it still doesn't make it their money. It's not like they can pay every player league minimum and buy another yacht. The cap is Monopoly money, lose every cent and it doesn't affect your personal bank account.

birdwells1

Reaction score
No, they're not, the cap isn't their money...
The problem with the cap is that most fans don't understand it.

Jalen hurts contract 5 yrs 250 mil APY 50 mil
A.J. Brown contract 3 years 96 mil APY 32 mil
DeVonta Smith contract 3 yrs 75 mil APY 25 mil

Some think that this will count 107 million against the cap but what all other NFL teams do is give the players the money upfront and reduce their cap hit in the early years, then put void years in at the end of the contract. Those years have a large salary but it will never be seen, either they'll renegotiate or release the player.

Those 3 players listed only cost 33.5 million against the 2024 cap!!!

birdwells1

Reaction score
I never did either but it's a done deal they're too many Jones in line to run this team for decades to come.
They are getting exactly what they want the most profitable team super bowls do not guarantee the most profit staying relevant does and all their players have adopted the same philosophy pad your stats don't take risks make business decisions score the big contract and extend your window of play as long as you possibly can.

Us old school fans are the only people with super bowl aspirations the new generation they just want to market themselves and make money super bowl is nothing but a one-day party and some trinkets it doesn't show them the money that Jerry's generational wealth shows them
I agree but what they are doing is following their carnival barker owner, he's all about hocking everything related to the star. I remember when Jalen Smith signed his new contract all he could talk about was being in business with Jerry with his sunglass line. SMH ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP!!!

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yes, they do. But it still doesn't make it their money. It's not like they can pay every player league minimum and buy another yacht. The cap is Monopoly money, lose every cent and it doesn't affect your personal bank account.
The cap is monopoly money to everyone else but the Joneses pride themselves on being great negotiators and business men and don't like to "lose the contract to players agents" that's the part that they take personal. The thing is the Cowboys are in the bottom 3 in the NFL in cash spending, lets put it this way THE COWBOYS ARE THE MOST VALUABLE SPORTS FRANCHISE ON EARTH AND ARE 29TH IN CASH SPENDING OUT OF 31 TEAMS!!! THAT'S INSANE.

P.S. Mike McCarthy is the lowest paid coach in the NFL at 4 Million per year.

JASON GARRETT WAS PAID 6 MILLION PER YEAR IN.....2015.

These guys are playing money ball!!!!

75boyz

Reaction score
Don't get out - coached and out - quarterbacked come playoff time.

I'd settle for those 2 things being corrected and we got as good a chance as any at a trophy.

Keep the same coach and QB and reap the same playoff results.

It's not hard to figure out at this point.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Don't get out - coached and out - quarterbacked come playoff time.

I'd settle for those 2 things being corrected and we got as good a chance as any at a trophy.

Keep the same coach and QB and reap the same playoff results.

It's not hard to figure out at this point.
The problem with this is that we've had different QBs and different coaches with the same results. The QB and the coach are just the low hanging fruit, you hang on to changing them because you know that the ownership/front office won't change and if you accept that, it means that you're accepting that we may never get back to the super bowl. I know I'm there too.

Praxit

Reaction score
..well, they cant be fired. But they have to be frustrated at this point.

They might not be GM gurus or best at getting right pieces.

But you have to believe they are plenty frustrated about.
cartoon-angry-computer-user-about-260nw-166876493.jpg

birdwells1

Reaction score
..well, they cant be fired. But they have to be frustrated at this point.

They might not be GM gurus or best at getting right pieces.

But you have to believe they are plenty frustrated about.
cartoon-angry-computer-user-about-260nw-166876493.jpg
What type of change does their "frustration bring", any other GM that lost in the playoffs like the Cowboys did would attack every avenue of roster building that's available to them. What avenue did the Joneses attack? All the cheap ones, the draft, UDFAs and UFL players. They let Tyron walk saying that if he stayed healthy they couldn't afford him and without a replacement let Hankins walk, the only legitimate 1 tech on the team. We're so thin at 1 tech than Kneeland our second round pick at DE was playing DT at mini camp. SMH.

75boyz

Reaction score
The problem with this is that we've had different QBs and different coaches with the same results. The QB and the coach are just the low hanging fruit, you hang on to changing them because you know that the ownership/front office won't change and if you accept that, it means that you're accepting that we may never get back to the super bowl. I know I'm there too.
The simplest yet unbelievable dream would be the hiring of an outside voice at GM, and then nailing both a head coach with genuine discipline/accountability and a truly elite franchise QB.

Yeah,
I did mention it was a dream.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well when you refuse to hire a FO staff and give employees 3 positions you are saving money to the bottom line. That does not come from then Cap.

Forneymike

Reaction score
I'm a true believer that the Cowboys issues start with leadership and front office structure. I think that the best leader for an NFL team is the head coach, everything should come through him and the owner/front office should do everything to support that. If Jerry and Stephen are asked a football related question their answer should be "I don't know that a Mike question, ask him". Jerry and Stephen loves the spotlight and they continue to want to let everyone know that they are in charge, while doing this they have become the "faces" of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry himself has become a celebrity and he loves it. So much so that he's only hired two Alphas as head coach in his 35 years of ownership. Jimmy, when he first purchased the team and Bill and that was to get the stadium bill passed. He doesn't want those kind of coaches because he wants to get the credit for winning a super bowl and he wants to continue to run the front office like he he does.

The biggest issue with the Cowboys is that Stephen nor Jerry CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they don't make free agent moves is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED.. The reason they don't sign players in a reasonable time is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they speak on Micah's contract after his rookie year is because they know that they'll be around because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. Other GMs and any other sports have a timeline on when they need to show results, if not they'll be fired. If they get fired they lose the salary that pays for their home in a gated community, kid's college, private schools so they are motivated to bring in first wave free agents and sign their own players players that have out performed their first contract because their ultimate goal is to win. Without that motivation of losing their livelihood then complacency and arrogance steps in and that's what has happened in Dallas. They don't make moves to improve this team because they don't have to. This combine someone ask the Bills GM about the risk he took when he moved up to pick Josh Allen, he said something like "it was an easy decision, if it didn't get a qb I was going to be fire or if Josh didn't work out I was going to get fired so I had to take the chance". This is what fear of losing you job does, it make you take a swing instead of keeping the bat on your should hoping for a walk.

The Joneses are too close to the money. When a GM is negotiating with a player they are negotiating with the owners money so they are trying field the best team possible because their job depends on it. When Jerry is negotiating they're doing it with their money so they take it personal, that's why players have agents so they don't have to hear the disparaging things said about them in negotiation, Jerry needs someone to negotiate these deals that is only concerned with fielding the best team possible instead of trying to win the negotiations and field the most fiscally responsible team possible. Stephen runs this team like an accountant.

If you've ever heard of a QB having arm arrogance (which means that he thinks he can make every throw due to his arm strength), the Joneses have time arrogance which means that because they won't lose their job that can take their time with everything. Think about this, if the Cowboys go 0-17 this season what will change in the front office? You're right........nothing.
This is so interesting. I haven’t seen hardly any threads on why the Jones’ are the problem. I’m not sure anyone has thought this was the case.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Those are minor issues that can be rectified before the season starts......it's the Special Teams that's gonna take years to fix.
They are not going to win again until they start paying the Cheer Leaders properly.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe, it has something to do with the Owner, President, GM, CEO, COO, Executive VP, and Director of Player Personnel are only 2 people - that also want to run the team differently.
It can’t be that can it?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm a true believer that the Cowboys issues start with leadership and front office structure. I think that the best leader for an NFL team is the head coach, everything should come through him and the owner/front office should do everything to support that. If Jerry and Stephen are asked a football related question their answer should be "I don't know that a Mike question, ask him". Jerry and Stephen loves the spotlight and they continue to want to let everyone know that they are in charge, while doing this they have become the "faces" of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry himself has become a celebrity and he loves it. So much so that he's only hired two Alphas as head coach in his 35 years of ownership. Jimmy, when he first purchased the team and Bill and that was to get the stadium bill passed. He doesn't want those kind of coaches because he wants to get the credit for winning a super bowl and he wants to continue to run the front office like he he does.

The biggest issue with the Cowboys is that Stephen nor Jerry CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they don't make free agent moves is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED.. The reason they don't sign players in a reasonable time is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they speak on Micah's contract after his rookie year is because they know that they'll be around because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. Other GMs and any other sports have a timeline on when they need to show results, if not they'll be fired. If they get fired they lose the salary that pays for their home in a gated community, kid's college, private schools so they are motivated to bring in first wave free agents and sign their own players players that have out performed their first contract because their ultimate goal is to win. Without that motivation of losing their livelihood then complacency and arrogance steps in and that's what has happened in Dallas. They don't make moves to improve this team because they don't have to. This combine someone ask the Bills GM about the risk he took when he moved up to pick Josh Allen, he said something like "it was an easy decision, if it didn't get a qb I was going to be fire or if Josh didn't work out I was going to get fired so I had to take the chance". This is what fear of losing you job does, it make you take a swing instead of keeping the bat on your should hoping for a walk.

The Joneses are too close to the money. When a GM is negotiating with a player they are negotiating with the owners money so they are trying field the best team possible because their job depends on it. When Jerry is negotiating they're doing it with their money so they take it personal, that's why players have agents so they don't have to hear the disparaging things said about them in negotiation, Jerry needs someone to negotiate these deals that is only concerned with fielding the best team possible instead of trying to win the negotiations and field the most fiscally responsible team possible. Stephen runs this team like an accountant.

If you've ever heard of a QB having arm arrogance (which means that he thinks he can make every throw due to his arm strength), the Joneses have time arrogance which means that because they won't lose their job that can take their time with everything. Think about this, if the Cowboys go 0-17 this season what will change in the front office? You're right........nothing.
The Jones boys are arrogant in everything they do lol.
They could go 0-17 for a decade and not get fired.
They evaluate themselves !
Jerry said a year or so ago, that he felt he was the right person for the job !! That was his opinion, lol which is all it takes.

But nothing we can do about that, or anyone else. The cowboys are cursed with jones leadership from now to end of times!

That why I no longer expect this team to do any better than it has in this century.
So far they cant even get to a NFC Champ game much less get to a SB, or the fantasy of actually winning a SB again.

The only way dallas even gets to another SB is if Jones boys hire a good HC, and give him the same power Jimmy had.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am just going to enjoy the season as it unfolds. I do not let the FO ruin my everyday life.

If they have a great season, and make it to the playoffs, great. Then go from there.
If they don’t make it, maybe Jerry realizes what needs to be done. Move on from the HC and QB.
But if they do make it, it shows they can win with less. As they already know they can’t win in the playoffs with what they think was more.

Just don’t sign any long term deals other than possibly CeeDee. Because if you do, and do not make the playoffs, or are one and done again. Then you are stuck with the players. And big contracts again. And possibly looking for a new HC that may not like the roster as is.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Pretty sure most will stop watching football before there's new ownership.. flag football will happen first...