The Cowboys Issues are Pretty Simple

plymkr

Reaction score
It absolutely does, and then add in nepotism. I've seen several businesses go down just here in my hometown of Fredericksburg TX due to nepotism. The local John Deere dealer was one of them.
I just got hired at John Deere in Fredericksburg and my Dad hooked me up with the job.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just got hired at John Deere in Fredericksburg and my Dad hooked me up with the job.
Excellent!!!!! The old owners that ran it into the ground sold out many many years ago. There's stories about that also!!!

: They had to do a major cleanup after it was discovered that they were burying old batteries and old.

Corporation owns it now. Changed hands recently.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Breaking News of us signing a LT or a WR is just as believable as Jerry selling the Cowboys to someone from Dubai.
Respectfully, my post had nothing to do with signing a LT. It was in reference to a rumor about them selling the team... to anyone! It's simply not going to happen.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's not due to money, it's due to keeping as much power as possible in the family's and the family friends' hands.

Geez, the man's a BILLIONAIRE, a few staff salaries here and there even Jerry doesn't worry about.

Money has nothing to do with it, Jerry wants another SB trophy where he gets the lion's share of the credit, that's all and everything to Jerry as far as the Cowboys are concerned.
money does matter to him. most of his decisions are around money. for example, he keeps coaches eventhough he knows they are not the right coaches until end of contract. Jerry himself mentioned concerns over "coaches dead money". its not count against the cap, but its a concern to him.

he wants to win. yes. but not bad enough to relinquich power, pay a GM and let him run the team. he wants the glory and feed his ego.
if we win, which we haven't come close in 28 years since Johnson, it won't be because of him. he is a blocker for us to advance and be a better team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Team salary cap is maxed out.

They can’t sign big name UFAs because they don’t have enough free cap $$$.
not true at all.

last year we had 15M on the cap.
the year before we had 20M on the cap and that was after Cooper trade and dead cap.

so there is money on the cap. teams always manipulate the cap, push money tot he future. redo contracts to get cap space to sign who they WANT.
cowboys don't do that. they are satisfied with status quo, beacause current strategy has led cowboys to be the most valuable franchise in any sport, by a mile.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can't win with the QB you have. Switch Mahomes and Prescott, and it's the Cowboys winning SBs while the Chiefs go one and done against inferior competition.

The number one reason we haven't won anything since the 1990s is the FO's patent refusal to recognize how important the QB is and spending the proper capital to find him.
100% disagree. and its not a defense of Dak. Mahomes may over come somethings, but not the entire dysfunction of the cowboys.maybe get to a championship game and not a SB.

and to your other point. Mahomes is a generational talent. you just said cowboys only chance is finding a generational talent and complaining that Dak is not mahomes. well duh!!!

so lets go find a generational talent at QB.

btw, there are teams that have made it to the superbowl and won it without a generational talent at QB. not as many obviously, but it happens. we are just not a well run team.

plymkr

Reaction score
Excellent!!!!! The old owners that ran it into the ground sold out many many years ago. There's stories about that also!!!

: They had to do a major cleanup after it was discovered that they were burying old batteries and old.

Corporation owns it now. Changed hands recently.
I was just kidding, I was making a joke about nepotism. I don’t think I nailed the punchline as good as I could have, lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm a true believer that the Cowboys issues start with leadership and front office structure. I think that the best leader for an NFL team is the head coach, everything should come through him and the owner/front office should do everything to support that. If Jerry and Stephen are asked a football related question their answer should be "I don't know that a Mike question, ask him". Jerry and Stephen loves the spotlight and they continue to want to let everyone know that they are in charge, while doing this they have become the "faces" of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry himself has become a celebrity and he loves it. So much so that he's only hired two Alphas as head coach in his 35 years of ownership. Jimmy, when he first purchased the team and Bill and that was to get the stadium bill passed. He doesn't want those kind of coaches because he wants to get the credit for winning a super bowl and he wants to continue to run the front office like he he does.

The biggest issue with the Cowboys is that Stephen nor Jerry CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they don't make free agent moves is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED.. The reason they don't sign players in a reasonable time is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they speak on Micah's contract after his rookie year is because they know that they'll be around because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. Other GMs and any other sports have a timeline on when they need to show results, if not they'll be fired. If they get fired they lose the salary that pays for their home in a gated community, kid's college, private schools so they are motivated to bring in first wave free agents and sign their own players players that have out performed their first contract because their ultimate goal is to win. Without that motivation of losing their livelihood then complacency and arrogance steps in and that's what has happened in Dallas. They don't make moves to improve this team because they don't have to. This combine someone ask the Bills GM about the risk he took when he moved up to pick Josh Allen, he said something like "it was an easy decision, if it didn't get a qb I was going to be fire or if Josh didn't work out I was going to get fired so I had to take the chance". This is what fear of losing you job does, it make you take a swing instead of keeping the bat on your should hoping for a walk.

The Joneses are too close to the money. When a GM is negotiating with a player they are negotiating with the owners money so they are trying field the best team possible because their job depends on it. When Jerry is negotiating they're doing it with their money so they take it personal, that's why players have agents so they don't have to hear the disparaging things said about them in negotiation, Jerry needs someone to negotiate these deals that is only concerned with fielding the best team possible instead of trying to win the negotiations and field the most fiscally responsible team possible. Stephen runs this team like an accountant.

If you've ever heard of a QB having arm arrogance (which means that he thinks he can make every throw due to his arm strength), the Joneses have time arrogance which means that because they won't lose their job that can take their time with everything. Think about this, if the Cowboys go 0-17 this season what will change in the front office? You're right........nothing.
Arm arrogance is just a state of mind of the QB. The Joneses' "time arrogance" is just a fact. It's the reality of ownership. I think you have the biggest issue for the Cowboys nailed. Accountability matters. Ownership should just do one thing, own. Hire someone else to run the team. Simple.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
not true at all.

last year we had 15M on the cap.
the year before we had 20M on the cap and that was after Cooper trade and dead cap.

so there is money on the cap. teams always manipulate the cap, push money tot he future. redo contracts to get cap space to sign who they WANT.
cowboys don't do that. they are satisfied with status quo, beacause current strategy has led cowboys to be the most valuable franchise in any sport, by a mile.
spotrac.com

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That’s reverse order. You can’t fix the QB without first fixing the FO.
I dont believe thats necessary true. And/but my list had no priority.

But as an argument: We had Aikman with the same Owner/FO. So QB is fixable even with our FO.

I think you try to make the problem much too complex. Its very simple.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont believe thats necessary true. And/but my list had no priority.

But as an argument: We had Aikman with the same Owner/FO. So QB is fixable even with our FO.

I think you try to make the problem much too complex. Its very simple.
Yes but we acquired Aikman when Jimmy was both coaching and was in charge of personnel and the locker room. We all know who’s in charge of all that now.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yes but we acquired Aikman when Jimmy was both coaching and was in charge of personnel and the locker room. We all know who’s in charge of all that now.
Why "but" ?

As i said: qb is fixable with this fo. Different hc is not an argument. The fo was the same back then. So it is not like it is not possible to change or find a good qb with that fo.

dont missunderstand me: fo is a big big problem. It is bad. very bad. i dont want to convince you or anybody else to think our fo is good or should not be changed.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was just kidding, I was making a joke about nepotism. I don’t think I nailed the punchline as good as I could have, lol
Funny stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the previous owners stole around 25 riding mowers as they were closing up shop. Yes, they found them and retrieved them. Poor bastidge didn't even know how lucky he was that they didn't press charges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomokawan

Reaction score
I'm a true believer that the Cowboys issues start with leadership and front office structure. I think that the best leader for an NFL team is the head coach, everything should come through him and the owner/front office should do everything to support that. If Jerry and Stephen are asked a football related question their answer should be "I don't know that a Mike question, ask him". Jerry and Stephen loves the spotlight and they continue to want to let everyone know that they are in charge, while doing this they have become the "faces" of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry himself has become a celebrity and he loves it. So much so that he's only hired two Alphas as head coach in his 35 years of ownership. Jimmy, when he first purchased the team and Bill and that was to get the stadium bill passed. He doesn't want those kind of coaches because he wants to get the credit for winning a super bowl and he wants to continue to run the front office like he he does.

The biggest issue with the Cowboys is that Stephen nor Jerry CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they don't make free agent moves is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED.. The reason they don't sign players in a reasonable time is because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. The reason that they speak on Micah's contract after his rookie year is because they know that they'll be around because THEY CAN'T GET FIRED. Other GMs and any other sports have a timeline on when they need to show results, if not they'll be fired. If they get fired they lose the salary that pays for their home in a gated community, kid's college, private schools so they are motivated to bring in first wave free agents and sign their own players players that have out performed their first contract because their ultimate goal is to win. Without that motivation of losing their livelihood then complacency and arrogance steps in and that's what has happened in Dallas. They don't make moves to improve this team because they don't have to. This combine someone ask the Bills GM about the risk he took when he moved up to pick Josh Allen, he said something like "it was an easy decision, if it didn't get a qb I was going to be fire or if Josh didn't work out I was going to get fired so I had to take the chance". This is what fear of losing you job does, it make you take a swing instead of keeping the bat on your should hoping for a walk.

The Joneses are too close to the money. When a GM is negotiating with a player they are negotiating with the owners money so they are trying field the best team possible because their job depends on it. When Jerry is negotiating they're doing it with their money so they take it personal, that's why players have agents so they don't have to hear the disparaging things said about them in negotiation, Jerry needs someone to negotiate these deals that is only concerned with fielding the best team possible instead of trying to win the negotiations and field the most fiscally responsible team possible. Stephen runs this team like an accountant.

If you've ever heard of a QB having arm arrogance (which means that he thinks he can make every throw due to his arm strength), the Joneses have time arrogance which means that because they won't lose their job that can take their time with everything. Think about this, if the Cowboys go 0-17 this season what will change in the front office? You're right........nothing.
Wow! Great post!!

tomokawan

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a self-made rock star. He is an ugly Kardashian. He has fake J.R. Ewing charisma without the charm.

Of course, he loves who he made himself into. What narcissist wouldn't? Personally, I would love to prank him one time by hiring Mary Crosby to set off a firecracker at one of his press conferences.
Thanks for the laugh. Ugly Kardashian.