The Cowboys Issues are Pretty Simple

kskboys

Reaction score
Comfort and Complacency destroys businesses, organizations, government, and yes…. NFL franchises.
It absolutely does, and then add in nepotism. I've seen several businesses go down just here in my hometown of Fredericksburg TX due to nepotism. The local John Deere dealer was one of them. They had a monopoly, but drove the business into the ground w/ poor customer service and basically just not giving a crapp. People were driving over an hour just to deal w/ a different John Deere dealer.

birdwells1

Reaction score
You can't win with the QB you have. Switch Mahomes and Prescott, and it's the Cowboys winning SBs while the Chiefs go one and done against inferior competition.

The number one reason we haven't won anything since the 1990s is the FO's patent refusal to recognize how important the QB is and spending the proper capital to find him.
Mahomes is a generational player, one of the greatest ever, if the 90s Phoenix Suns had Jordan they would have won several championships. Having a pro bowl level QB (Romo and Prescott) should be enough for an organization to at least get to the NFCCG in the last 17 years. This is way bigger than the QB, tell you what put Prescott or Romo in KC and they at least are in the AFCCG!!!

morat1959

Reaction score
You can't win with the QB you have. Switch Mahomes and Prescott, and it's the Cowboys winning SBs while the Chiefs go one and done against inferior competition.

The number one reason we haven't won anything since the 1990s is the FO's patent refusal to recognize how important the QB is and spending the proper capital to find him.
You nailed it!

Chasing6

Reaction score
THIS front office has ZERO Super Bowls.

THIS front office has NEVER made a conference championship game!!!!!

THIS front office has 5 playoff wins since 1996!!!!!

THIS front office is averaging ONE...ONE...playoff win every ~6 years!!!!
Their goal is to hang out at the rim.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Coach, owner, GM, QB. Once we get past those minor issues we should be ok. :p
Jerry told us a long time ago why he runs the team this way. The bank granted Jerry financing of the entire new stadium. Jerry mentioned how he could not believe they floated him that much money.

So Jerry and Stephen look at Dallas as a financial agreement first and foremost. They want steady revenues they can project that fit into their long range business plan.

Steady revenues require steady competitiveness and salesmanship. Dallas must be able to stay relevant year in and year out. Previous to the new stadium Jerry was more of a roster risk taker. Now he mandates steady business projections over destabilizing the revenue streams (selling out for a SB).

Once you see the Cowboys through this Prism you understand most of the moves they make.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know why so many cant figure this out... a player nor coach is fixing this ..as has been proven over MULTIPLE players and coaches..28 years of bad coaches and players, this is too easy to see the problem.
Here’s the list of main players hired to somehow make the circus win since Jimmy left in early ‘94:
HEAD COACHES
  • Barry Switzer- 1994-97 (6 playoff wins)
  • Chan Gailey- 1998-99 (0 playoff wins)
  • Dave Campo- 2000-02 (0 playoff wins)
  • Bill Parcells- 2003-06 (0 playoff wins)
  • Wade Phillips- 2007-2010 (1 playoff win)
  • Jason Garrett- 2010 (half the season)-2019 (2 playoff wins)
  • Mike McCarthy- 2020-present (1 playoff win)
That‘s 7 HCs since Jimmy left in 28 years. After Barry S’s brief playoff glory with core of Jimmy’s players, we have done almost nothing in the playoffs. Put it even simpler, since the core of Jimmy’s players left, we’ve done almost nothing.

And realize too we’ve had 8 different offensive coordinators, 8 DCs in that same period.
And one GM through it all.

75boyz

Reaction score
Jerry told us a long time ago why he runs the team this way. The bank granted Jerry financing of the entire new stadium. Jerry mentioned how he could not believe they floated him that much money.

So Jerry and Stephen look at Dallas as a financial agreement first and foremost. They want steady revenues they can project that fit into their long range business plan.

Steady revenues require steady competitiveness and salesmanship. Dallas must be able to stay relevant year in and year out. Previous to the new stadium Jerry was more of a roster risk taker. Now he mandates steady business projections over destabilizing the revenue streams (selling out for a SB).

Once you see the Cowboys through this Prism you understand most of the moves they make.
Really good business perspective and bottom line post.
Appreciate this type of insight.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont know why so many cant figure this out... a player nor coach is fixing this ..as has been proven over MULTIPLE players and coaches..28 years of bad coaches and players, this is too easy to see the problem.
And it's not that we lose in the playoffs, it's how we lose.

shabazz

Reaction score
If that's the case then why did the Cowboys want him? Why was he good enough for the most valuable franchise in the world.
Jerry got yet another easily controlled puppet of a coach.

And WAS he good enough of a coach for the Cowboys? His playoff record with this team is 1-3 and has yet to be resigned by Jerry.

He's Audi 5000

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Then why does the most valuable sports franchise in the world has the lowest paid coach in the NFL?
The original post I replied to indicated that the Cowboys weren't successful due to Jerry being stingy with HIS money, but it's not HIS money, it's the TEAM'S money (i.e. the cap) and Jerry has to spend the cap (or 89% of it over a 4-year period), so HIS money, meaning the team's value in the open market, wasn't involved.

Everyone forgets Jerry is first and foremost a businessman, if he can get MM to work for less than most coaches, sure he'll do it, but I'm pretty sure if MM had demanded more than $4 million Jerry would have coughed it up.

Somehow the conversation got off why the Cowboys aren't successful and went to Jerry's personal finances. If that was my lack of focus on the issue, then I apologize.

But to reiterate, Jerry's being tight fisted with coaches' salaries has NOTHING to do with trying to be a cheapskate on cap money because he simply can't do that, if his strategy is to pay big money to his stars and lesser to other players, that's just the allocation.

Hope that clears things up.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jerry got yet another easily controlled puppet of a coach.

And WAS he good enough of a coach for the Cowboys? His playoff record with this team is 1-3 and has yet to be resigned by Jerry.

He's Audi 5000
you get an A for the audi 5000, great reference!..lol..I say that to my kids and get the funniest responses..

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
After 47 years of being a fan the current dynamic the last decade has led to apathy this year. I just don't care much anymore and show up here out of habit. I am even pulling out of fantasy football this year and a league I have been in for 31 years. The only thing that might reverse how I feel is Jerry going away. The team is just not worth putting energy into anymore. The last playoff game fiasco just underscored what an enormous waste of time the regular season really is. Cowboys could go 4-13 or 13-4 and it doesn't make any difference. So who cares.../shrug

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
After 47 years of being a fan the current dynamic the last decade has led to apathy this year. I just don't care much anymore and show up here out of habit. I am even pulling out of fantasy football this year and a league I have been in for 31 years. The only thing that might reverse how I feel is Jerry going away. The team is just not worth putting energy into anymore. The last playoff game fiasco just underscored what an enormous waste of time the regular season really is. Cowboys could go 4-13 or 13-4 and it doesn't make any difference. So who cares.../shrug
Especially since we were screaming at Jerry what needs to be fixed. And he takes a 2nd round TE reach instead. Just amazingly stupid.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that they're not selling the team and there's no other solution in sight makes the problem far more serious and difficult to fix. We're all screwed if we're waiting for another SB victory, I'm afraid.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The fact that they're not selling the team and there's no other solution in sight makes the problem far more serious and difficult to fix. We're all screwed if we're waiting for another SB victory, I'm afraid.
I think the Breaking News of us signing a LT or a WR is just as believable as Jerry selling the Cowboys to someone from Dubai.