The Cowboys need a Free Agent DE next season

blumayne38

Reaction score
Mincey has been OK, but he shouldn't be a starter. Two new DE's would be great. Maybe a 1st or 2nd round draft pick along with a FA pickup.

agree as much as i like mincey, his heart and hustle, he just dosent have the on field presence he has off it

blumayne38

Reaction score
why not keep spencer and mincey at a barrgan price and lose Melton Selvie and Mcclain and Hayden granted we have a good draft...

blumayne38

Reaction score
Im hoping Brent can keep Hayden off the field, Hayden is a solid player bbut like mincey he should not be starting

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why not keep spencer and mincey at a barrgan price and lose Melton Selvie and Mcclain and Hayden granted we have a good draft...

Mincey they'll keep because his contract next season is down-right cheap.

McClain will probably be retained because he's cheap also.

Selvie-gone.

Spencer-probably gone.

Hayden-hopefully gone.

Melton-I don't know what to make of his situation...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mincey they'll keep because his contract next season is down-right cheap.

I would have no problem with this if he was relegated to a Jeffcoat type role where he knows what he is supposed to do and he is not just handed a starting job like he was this year.

McClain will probably be retained because he's cheap also.

I don't care if he is cheap. He cannot play.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have no problem with this if he was relegated to a Jeffcoat type role where he knows what he is supposed to do and he is not just handed a starting job like he was this year.

I don't care if he is cheap. He cannot play.

He could very well not be one of the 5 best DT's on the team come next season. Certainly Crawford is better. Brent is better. Melton if he's retained is better.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lawrence was on his way to beating out Mincey for the starting job when he broke his foot.

Alexander

Reaction score
He could very well not be one of the 5 best DT's on the team come next season. Certainly Crawford is better. Brent is better. Melton if he's retained is better.

Some undrafted free agent would be better.

blumayne38

Reaction score
if guys like Brent and Crawford keep getting better,.....i dont think we signed Henry to solidify anything, just a patch job....a guy like Melton wants to be paid..imo

Bluefin

Reaction score
How does one of the better DL on a bad roster become "expendable"?

Something would have to be done with Henry Melton's contract.

Not only a reduction in next years base salary of $9M, but also the $7.5M base salaries in 2016 and 2017.

He's a back-up to Tyrone Crawford, who should do nothing but improve on the inside. Crawford didn't even play the position before this year.

Does Melton want to be a back-up here and play in a rotation or does he want to get a new contract in free agency?

Brad Sham said Thursday night prior to the game that Melton was going to be one of the inactives before the team decided to sit DeMarcus Lawrence because of injury.

Nothing against Melton, I just prefer allocating the $24M remaining in his three year option to other players.

Alexander

Reaction score
We've got some on hand.

UT Davon Coleman, NT Ken Bishop and UT Chris Whaley should all go to training camp next year along with any undrafted guys added to the mix following the draft.

I firmly believe that McClain is still on the team because they are on the hook for his salary. Would not be the first time.