The Cowboys Need Elliott More Than Elliott Needs the Cowboys

waldoputty

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that Zeke knows that we need him.

no we dont
look at the schedule for 2019.
we play giants, Commanders and dolphins for 1st 3 games.
2 of those are tanking and the other one has who at qb?
if cowboys cannot beat these 3 without zeke, they may as well mail it in and tank for the draft.
no real opponent until saints game 4.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Need for what? As it stands right now, Dallas will go on and play all the games on their schedule for as long as the NFL exists but Zeke needs the Dallas Cowboys to continue being an NFL player. He has no option to play anywhere but Dallas for the next two years and actually has to show up by a certain date or Dallas will continue to hold his rights for two years indefinitely. I think they should try and trade him but that will likely be very difficult.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
no we dont
look at the schedule for 2019.
we play giants, Commanders and dolphins for 1st 3 games.
2 of those are tanking and the other one has who at qb?
if cowboys cannot beat these 3 without zeke, they may as well mail it in and tank for the draft.
no real opponent until saints game 4.

wally, I'm talking about his mindset not the schedule; but duly noted.

waldoputty

Reaction score
wally, I'm talking about his mindset not the schedule; but duly noted.

true, but there is gamesmanship in all this.
that is why what stephen said was a mistake.

the front office can afford to let this run into the regular session for at least 3 games.
zeke would not get this game checks.
agent would not know how far cowboys would go.
what happens if pollard is playing great against the 2 tankers and qb-less Commanders.
agent and zeke would freak.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That's the title of the article - don't @ me.

The Cowboys need Elliott more than he needs the franchise, and he is good enough to warrant a big contract, even bigger than Gurley’s. Dallas relies on Elliott to make their offense run the way they want it to...The Cowboys have neither an offensive genius on the headset or a generational talent at quarterback.

Dallas loses the crux of their offensive system and any hopes of championship contention in what will be their last year of financial flexibility before the bill comes for all the young talent they’ve accumulated. They may have the contractual leverage, but as far as the football goes, they need Elliott. And he knows that.

It's an interesting take. I think the Cowboys and Zeke need each other. Pollard has looked good, but is Jerry ready to roll those dice this season given other contracts coming soon and his desire for another trophy?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/08/24/ezekiel-elliott-holdout-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back/
Without Zeke the Cowboys get along with Pollard.
Without the Cowboys, Zeke gets fat and poor.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
true, but there is gamesmanship in all this.
that is why what stephen said was a mistake.

the front office can afford to let this run into the regular session for at least 3 games.
zeke would not get this game checks.
agent would not know how far cowboys would go.
what happens if pollard is playing great against the 2 tankers and qb-less Commanders.
agent and zeke would freak.

I've thought about Pollard playing lights out. Talk about a plan backfiring if that happens. Then again, we wouldn't really know how good Pollard is until Week 4. Who knows how long Zeke will keep this charade up.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I've thought about Pollard playing lights out. Talk about a plan backfiring if that happens. Then again, we wouldn't really know how good Pollard is until Week 4. Who knows how long Zeke will keep this charade up.

sure it could backfire as pollard may not no good or get injured easily.

that is why i think we need to trade for a good backup.

again, if we cannot win with pollard and a decent not great rb against giants, Commanders and dolphins, then we may as well tank, as we basically suck.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
sure it could backfire as pollard may not no good or get injured easily.

that is why i think we need to trade for a good backup.

again, if we cannot win with pollard and a decent not great rb against giants, Commanders and dolphins, then we may as well tank, as we basically suck.

I think Pollard is decent. He has some good moves and shows patience. He's not as fast as Zeke, though. He's more of a poor man's Zeke.

I would never tank a season especially not over one player. There is still a such thing as pride.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Problem for Zeke is that he doesn’t control his path for about four years. Refuse to play, and the Cowboys could force him off the field for a long, long time.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Pollard is decent. He has some good moves and shows patience. He's not as fast as Zeke, though. He's more of a poor man's Zeke.

I would never tank a season especially not over one player. There is still a such thing as pride.
I think just the opposite. He looks faster, but he's not as powerful. That's at least the way he looks to me.

aria

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but even in game 4, what does that tell us if he has a bad game but has done well until then? I can bring up 4-5 games from last year that Zeke was horrible, it doesn’t mean he was a bust.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I thought it was clear, I never made that point for you to even argue it
You said you thought Zeke may just want to suck the Cowboys dry, I said the agent is the one trying to get the money, and you replied by saying “isn’t that sucking a franchise dry”? I only made the point that doesn’t mean Zeke wants to suck the franchise dry, or that he doesn’t want to play for the Cowboys. That, after all, was the context of what you stepped into when you responded to me.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but even in game 4, what does that tell us if he has a bad game but has done well until then? I can bring up 4-5 games from last year that Zeke was horrible, it doesn’t mean he was a bust.

aria, the poster alluded to the fact that we will not be playing real competition teams until week 4. So I was agreeing that it wouldn't matter how well Pollard played until we got to real competitive teams. If he does well against the Saints in Week 4 and Packers in Week 5 then he'll be legit.

I never said Zeke was a bust. He always has a slow start to the season. I do think he's a little greedy and silly at times.

aria

Reaction score
aria, the poster alluded to the fact that we will not be playing real competition teams until week 4. So I was agreeing that it wouldn't matter how well Pollard played until we got to real competitive teams. If he does well against the Saints in Week 4 and Packers in Week 5 then he'll be legit.

I never said Zeke was a bust. He always has a slow start to the season. I do think he's a little greedy and silly at times.
I think Pollard will do fine against the first three teams, the wild card being the Commanders. My point is, say he has 3 good games and falters against the Saints or say he even has two good games and falters against the Commanders, then I know all the Zeke fan boys will start throwing a fit and saying that’s why we need Zeke back.

So according to you, if he has a bad game against the skins than that diminishes his worth? What about if we didn’t use him as much against the Giants, like when we didn’t play Zeke last year in the final game, and put forth one of our best offensive performances? What will that tell us?

Remember, in one of two games against the Commanders last year, Zeke averaged a whopping 2.2 ypc. The first time Pollard does that, the pitch forks will come out. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people want to see Pollard fail just to try and prove a point and pay Zeke anything he wants.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
I think Pollard will do fine against the first three teams, the wild card being the Commanders. My point is, say he has 3 good games and falters against the Saints or say he even has two good games and falters against the Commanders, then I know all the Zeke fan boys will start throwing a fit and saying that’s why we need Zeke back.

So according to you, if he has a bad game against the skins than that diminishes his worth? What about if we didn’t use him as much against the Giants, like when we didn’t play Zeke last year in the final game, and put forth one of our best offensive performances? What will that tell us?

Remember, in one of two games against the Commanders last year, Zeke averaged a whopping 2.2 ypc. The first time Pollard does that, the pitch forks will come out. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people want to see Pollard fail just to try and prove a point and pay Zeke anything he wants.

Oh no! I want Pollard to do well. I'm not in the camp of Zeke vs Pollard. I could do without that. I definitely agree with your assertions. You know it's probably coming, though.

GoJacks

Reaction score
Dallas would never let that happen, as it would hurt the team more than Zeke. Zeke will be getting a massive, recordbreaking deal from someone. All Dallas has leverage over is how long he has to wait for it. And making Zeke wait hurts Dallas’s salary cap and compensation.
The Cowboys can wait for infinity. Until he plays out the two years on his contract he isn't going anywhere. If he doesn't play he has no impact on their salary cap.

aria

Reaction score
Oh no! I want Pollard to do well. I'm not in the camp of Zeke vs Pollard. I could do without that. I definitely agree with your assertions. You know it's probably coming, though.
Yeah, unless Pollard absolutely tears it up it will get ugly around after his first bad game which will eventually happen and he won’t get the same excuses Zeke gets when has a bad game (play calling and O line).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Why would you believe/post such nonsense from an article that is written by some guy that is a "Fordham grad who enjoys reading, writing, and playing video games. He lives in New York and is an unapologetic New England sports fan"?! o_O
And he probably reads the Atlantic and wears Bruno Magli shoes!