The Cowboys Need Elliott More Than Elliott Needs the Cowboys

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Yeah, unless Pollard absolutely tears it up it will get ugly around after his first bad game which will eventually happen and he won’t get the same excuses Zeke gets when has a bad game (play calling and O line).

If it plays out like that I agree. I would be more apt to blame Zeke for putting the team in the predicament it found itself in than a rookie rb.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think Pollard is decent. He has some good moves and shows patience. He's not as fast as Zeke, though. He's more of a poor man's Zeke.

I would never tank a season especially not over one player. There is still a such thing as pride.
i suspect pollard is faster than zeke
think his 40 time was when there was an injury
i dont think he is a poor man's zeke
i think he is a slightly bigger threat in the passing game though zeke is a much bigger threat in the running game.
that is why i think the cowboys should adapt their game when pollard is the rb.

sorry but i am all for tanking if the team is not a contender.
superbowl or tank
right? @GimmeTheBall!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Cowboys can wait for infinity. Until he plays out the two years on his contract he isn't going anywhere. If he doesn't play he has no impact on their salary cap.

But no trading him is intentionally sabotaging the Dallas Cowboys. Why would they do that to themselves? Simply for revenge?

Verdict

Reaction score
Dallas would never let that happen, as it would hurt the team more than Zeke. Zeke will be getting a massive, recordbreaking deal from someone. All Dallas has leverage over is how long he has to wait for it. And making Zeke wait hurts Dallas’s salary cap and compensation.

It doesn’t hurt the Cowboys if they don’t give him another contract.

jay94

Reaction score
Zeke is a rb, so he needs the Cowboys more then the Cowboys need him, if he was a qb, we could actually be entertaining the op title.

waldoputty

Reaction score
But no trading him is intentionally sabotaging the Dallas Cowboys. Why would they do that to themselves? Simply for revenge?

there is more at stake for the cowboys than a couple million per year or elliott's worth as an asset.
they would be bending far too much if they make elliott the highest paid rb 2 years before contract ending.
think about all the players to follow they have to negotiate with.

in fact, if i were stephen.
i would make an example out of zeke's agent.
make it personal and nasty to the point that zeke knows a deal cannot be struck as long as he has the same agent.
force zeke to fire the agent.
then the other agents know what can happen to them when their turn comes up.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's the title of the article - don't @ me.

The Cowboys need Elliott more than he needs the franchise, and he is good enough to warrant a big contract, even bigger than Gurley’s. Dallas relies on Elliott to make their offense run the way they want it to...The Cowboys have neither an offensive genius on the headset or a generational talent at quarterback.

Dallas loses the crux of their offensive system and any hopes of championship contention in what will be their last year of financial flexibility before the bill comes for all the young talent they’ve accumulated. They may have the contractual leverage, but as far as the football goes, they need Elliott. And he knows that.

It's an interesting take. I think the Cowboys and Zeke need each other. Pollard has looked good, but is Jerry ready to roll those dice this season given other contracts coming soon and his desire for another trophy?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/08/24/ezekiel-elliott-holdout-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back/

First I want to know who told Liam McKeone any of the particulars of any contract offer. Second who is the Luiam McKeone, I've never heard of him before. Now when the Cowboys beat the giants on opening weekend the Cowboys can then tell Elliott he can report and play and in the off season we'll talk about your next contract or you can sit and lose money, the choice is yours.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I disagree with the title. The Cowboys can play football with other running backs, pick up or trade for RBs. That doesn’t mean we will be as good, but if this OL is healthy, we can run the ball.

Zeke, on the other hand, has nothing for the next 2-4 years except his banked pay without the Cowboys. He could literally sit for the next 3 seasons without playing or earning a dime and without costing the Cowboys a penny against the salary cap if the Cowboys want to make a point.

Our options without Zeke are not as good as with him, but he has zero options....nada. He’s not even sniffing free agency, and the Cowboys have no reason to trade him unless they get a bonanza.

Of course, that’s all theoretical. I think we all expect this to be settled for game 1.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Pollard is decent. He has some good moves and shows patience. He's not as fast as Zeke, though. He's more of a poor man's Zeke.

I would never tank a season especially not over one player. There is still a such thing as pride.
Pollard is faster. He's run a 4.3something forty.

Zeke and Pollard are more like polar opposite types of backs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's the title of the article - don't @ me.

The Cowboys need Elliott more than he needs the franchise, and he is good enough to warrant a big contract, even bigger than Gurley’s. Dallas relies on Elliott to make their offense run the way they want it to...The Cowboys have neither an offensive genius on the headset or a generational talent at quarterback.

Dallas loses the crux of their offensive system and any hopes of championship contention in what will be their last year of financial flexibility before the bill comes for all the young talent they’ve accumulated. They may have the contractual leverage, but as far as the football goes, they need Elliott. And he knows that.

It's an interesting take. I think the Cowboys and Zeke need each other. Pollard has looked good, but is Jerry ready to roll those dice this season given other contracts coming soon and his desire for another trophy?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/08/24/ezekiel-elliott-holdout-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back/

Nobody needs a dumb drunk/suspension waiting to happen that wants to be the highest paid player at his position.

He is actually worth more to us in a trade.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dallas would never let that happen, as it would hurt the team more than Zeke. Zeke will be getting a massive, recordbreaking deal from someone. All Dallas has leverage over is how long he has to wait for it. And making Zeke wait hurts Dallas’s salary cap and compensation.

LOL..........like Bell?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
LOL..........like Bell?
Pittsburg made sure to draft a good back ahead of time, so they could let Bell go without losing their running game. Pollard might prove to be our James Conner. Let's face it, we are looking at possibly losing a top Corner, possibly a budding DT in Collins. Much harder positions to repleace than Running Back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pittsburg made sure to draft a good back ahead of time, so they could let Bell go without losing their running game. Pollard might prove to be our James Conner. Let's face it, we are looking at possibly losing a top Corner, possibly a budding DT in Collins. Much harder positions to repleace than Running Back.

They got lucky on Conner. NO one thought he would do what he did.

Bell held out and Conner went nutz.

Im not sure what losing those other guys has anything to do with Zeke.

RB's simply arent a priority in my view. Not with this Oline.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
They got lucky on Conner. NO one thought he would do what he did.

Bell held out and Conner went nutz.

Im not sure what losing those other guys has anything to do with Zeke.

RB's simply arent a priority in my view. Not with this Oline.
Just saying, with the salary cap, there's only so much money to pass around. I'd rather pay key cogs on the defense than overpay Zeke. Agree?
You're spot on about the OL, BTW.