The Cowboys need to sign Jameis Winston

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
He's a good enough player to be a backup and just good enough to push Dak.
3xcg4p.gif
https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the staff will want to see what they've got in Thorson before signing another QB. TC should prove interesting in arriving at a decision in that regard, assuming we'll have one. Not sure Winston would come cheaply enough, either. Our tight FO would surely have to ok it, first. Additionally, would he be ready to settle for another backup spot? Maybe he thinks he could beat out Dak? Will we draft a QB? We'll see.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak's contract situation will eventually be resolved, but the Boys would be wise to add Winston to the roster as a valuable insurance policy against injury or an extended holdout.

This would represent a win-win situation for the team and player. Something Rush & Thorson can't provide having only a combined three passing attempts of regular season experience.

But adding the QB that set a NFL record for picks in a single season last season is just so much better. Upping the chances that the the ball gets turned over is such an appealing thought. Gee maybe we could find the back that fumbled the ball the most and add him to the roster too. I thank God you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Did you know that is a female that you said, "now go put on the dunce cap on and go sit in the corner" too?

Blogging the boys ran a story about Winston being the right fit for Dallas.

If someone from blogging the boys told you to jump off a cliff would you?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Why would Winston want to sign in Dallas? To back up Dak? What is he going to learn from Dak thar increases his value and gives him a chance to start next year?

If the Cowboys all of a sudden got as dumb as some here, I very seriously doubt it, and offered him a contract he would jump at it because NO TEAM will sign he as or to compete for the starting job. In 5 years he proved he is not a starting QB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak's contract situation will eventually be resolved, but the Boys would be wise to add Winston to the roster as a valuable insurance policy against injury or an extended holdout.

This would represent a win-win situation for the team and player. Something Rush & Thorson can't provide having only a combined three passing attempts of regular season experience.
I really hate that this organization doesnt believe in leveraging Dak to take less money. And to tell you the truth, people laugh at Winston but he never had a running game or the oline to help take the pressure off of him. It would be interesting to see how he would perform with this team.

joseephuss

Reaction score
But adding the QB that set a NFL record for picks in a single season last season is just so much better. Upping the chances that the the ball gets turned over is such an appealing thought. Gee maybe we could find the back that fumbled the ball the most and add him to the roster too. I thank God you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

Winston did not set an NFL record for picks in a single season. It was "good" enough for 7th most interceptions thrown in one season. The record is 42 set by George Blanda in 1962. That was pre-merger. The most since the great AFL-NFL merger is the 35 Vinny Testeverde tossed in 1988, also with Tampa. This is not to say 30 interceptions isn't a lot. The 30 he threw were quite a large number. Too large considering the current rules that promote passing offense. Winston also has fumbled the ball 50 times in his career. He tries is darndest to give the ball to the other team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How does a guy that can't read defenses throw for 5000 yards and 30+ TDs? He makes bad throws but that might can probably be fixed. Dak isn't much better at reading defenses if he is at all. Dak played behind a much better offensive line with a better RB.
and he threw for 30+ Ints…..nuff said....

Silverstar

Reaction score
I really hate that this organization doesnt believe in leveraging Dak to take less money. And to tell you the truth, people laugh at Winston but he never had a running game or the oline to help take the pressure off of him. It would be interesting to see how he would perform with this team.

Along with a lot of other QB's.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Winston did not set an NFL record for picks in a single season. It was "good" enough for 7th most interceptions thrown in one season. The record is 42 set by George Blanda in 1962. That was pre-merger. The most since the great AFL-NFL merger is the 35 Vinny Testeverde tossed in 1988, also with Tampa. This is not to say 30 interceptions isn't a lot. The 30 he threw were quite a large number. Too large considering the current rules that promote passing offense. Winston also has fumbled the ball 50 times in his career. He tries is darndest to give the ball to the other team.

You're right, what record he did set is the first QB to throw 30 picks and 30 TD's in the same season. That's THIRTY drives that ended prematurely and got zero points for the bucs. We can all sleep much better that THIRTY picks in and of itself isn't the NDFL record for the most in a single season. Cowboys will be all excited and on the edge of their seats waiting for him to throw another THIRTY picks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
idk about winston but i do find it weird & annoying that jerry and the front office does not seem to put any value in the back up qb position when they think of themself as a contender. (idc what anyone says about cooper rush or how he look in practice or w/e...if he has to play in anything but garbage time the season is over). backup qb can make or break the entire season for a "contender"...u need some one who is capable of winning games and keeping the season afloat if ur starter gets hurt!

They value it, just not to yours or others liking. :muttley:

And it is early, plenty of time to address it. Who is out there that is really worth it that can actually win games?
Do you have a list, enlighten us and why will they win?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winston also has fumbled the ball 50 times in his career.
In just 5 years? That's averaging 10 fumbles a year!!!

I see he also got sacked 169 times.

Between the pics, fumbles and sacks, I'm surprised TB won any games at all.

Gonhoz

Reaction score

Whyyyyyy?????are you serious? is a bad quarterback .I prefer Cooper any time

ondaedg

Reaction score
Why would Winston want to sign in Dallas? To back up Dak? What is he going to learn from Dak thar increases his value and gives him a chance to start next year?

Maybe how not to throw it to the other team?

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

Your thread headline is missing the word "don't".

Sandyf

Reaction score

I would rather stick with Cooper Rush as my backup even if he had to start a game or two. Winston is really good at losing a game that is won.