The Cowboys offense will be different with the Red Rooster

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He's been waiting for his chance to "CROW", so get CROWING RED ROOSTER!!!!!!!!!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In 2012, Dalton's 2nd year he was sacked 46 times which is 10 less than Dak's worst sack year (56 in 2018). He has averaged ~30 sacks/year since 2011.

Since 2016, over 4 years, Dak has averaged 34 sacks/year (not counting this year, since it's incomplete).

So actually Andy has averaged less sacks/year than Dak.

Don't know if that matters since it's two different teams, some of the sacks may be that teams load the box more against Zeke, but if they see it's a pass play then they already have players near the line and they just switch to a pass rush. Lots of variables as to how many sacks are given up.

And 4 per year is more one sack for every 4 games, that's not that much different.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Whatever the Cardinals try, it should become pretty obvious to Kellen in short order.

Let's hope he remains alert to take note of what happens and call plays accordingly.

But I also hope he doesn't abandon the run too early, it's not like they have only 2 run plays - draws or off tackle, e.g. You can continue to run the ball but not do the s.o.s.

In the Cowboys' first SB win, early on Landry ran the ball inside, using mis-direction, then when the Dolphins closed that down, Landry switched to outside tosses, and the Dolphins defense was caught inside.

I've yet to see, at least in my limited watching of the games this year (due to the local Fox station being out of commission due to hurricane Laura), Moore showing any great degree of varied play calling. Still waiting to see the flea flickers, reverses etc. that would help the o-line. Maybe he has and I've missed it.

But if not, if he hasn't by now, will we see any?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I need about 30 points from Dalton and Lamb tonight. And for Zeurlein to miss a bunch

Darkhound

Reaction score
Expect the opposite. Teams will stack the box and force the Red Rifle to beat them, and he will shred them with these WRs.
I agree with this... they will want to make Sure Dalton throws and try to make him make mistakes

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
But I also hope he doesn't abandon the run too early, it's not like they have only 2 run plays - draws or off tackle, e.g. You can continue to run the ball but not do the s.o.s.

In the Cowboys' first SB win, early on Landry ran the ball inside, using mis-direction, then when the Dolphins closed that down, Landry switched to outside tosses, and the Dolphins defense was caught inside.

I've yet to see, at least in my limited watching of the games this year (due to the local Fox station being out of commission due to hurricane Laura), Moore showing any great degree of varied play calling. Still waiting to see the flea flickers, reverses etc. that would help the o-line. Maybe he has and I've missed it.

But if not, if he hasn't by now, will we see any?

I'm pretty certain we'll see a large dose of Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard for tonight's game at AT&T Stadium. The Arizona defense isn't very adept at plugging the running games of their opposition, so the same old stuff we were used to with Garrett would likely be on our offensive menu. I've noticed lately that Kellen Moore is still drawing raves for his play calling, although I haven't really noticed all the up-to-date stuff that he's been given credit for, either. That's not to say he's not capable of doing so but I'd be tickled to see more evidence of it than what we have so far. A record-breaking performance by our defense might be just what the doctor ordered to snap this team out of its doldrums.

We'll probably be seeing Kyler Murray at his best, doing all he can to live up to the hype that he receives for his all-around passing and running abilities. Our defense will be seriously challenged to contain him, no doubt. I'm hoping to see Andy Dalton at his best for a game that threatens to be one that will likely demand more energy and spunk from our defense has what we've seen lately. Evidently, our offense will need to score plenty to produce a win.

Here's hoping our offense will put them in a very precarious position to stop us, also. This contest has been touted as potentially being a close one. A win would be great to give this team a tremendous boost in confidence. With some of our walking wounded due to return, maybe it could catapult us into better play for the games that remain. It'd surely be a pleasant surprise, if that turned out to be the case.

Last edited:

uvaballa

Reaction score
Nice rebuttal and an interesting point of view but the defense needs a lot of protection and Zeke is the answer.
Zeke hasn’t been found much lately. What makes you think he can put the offense in his back?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He doesn’t have the arm strength to be called the rifle. He floats it like Montana. Yes I’d rather be a little less accurate and a lot quicker with the football

his nick name IS the Red Rifle. sorry !

Well, there's this, from MSN sports:

"Now that Andy Dalton is starting with the Cowboys, you'll probably see his Red Rifle nickname get brought up either on a television broadcast, or on social media. But the veteran quarterback actually doesn't like that nickname.
Dalton has spent 10 seasons in the NFL, with his previous nine spent with the Bengals. Despite his rise in popularity as the quarterback for the Bengals, he was actually being called the "Red Rifle" back during his days at Texas Christian University (TCU).
So why is Dalton called the Red Rifle and why doesn't he like it? We'll go through his nickname below.
Why is Andy Dalton nicknamed the Red Rifle?
Andy Dalton's Red Rifle nickname is pretty simple. It's a name based on his red hair and the fact he's a quarterback. Quarterbacks are often referred to as gunslingers, so there's a natural gun-to-quarterback conversion going on here.

So first of all the nickname isn't tied to supposedly having a really strong arm, and even if it was, that came from his college days, which was years ago....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Zeke hasn’t been found much lately. What makes you think he can put the offense in his back?

Getting 12 and 14 carries, he didn't get the chance. Not saying if he can or not, but no running back is based on that number of carries.

Now if he gets 25 carries and doesn't do that well, then we'll have some evidence he can't....

khiladi

Reaction score
Expect the opposite. Teams will stack the box and force the Red Rifle to beat them, and he will shred them with these WRs.

Teams were already stacking the box and out of the 34 plus RPOs play calls by Dak, he chose run only once. We don’t even use RPO much and when we do, Dak out there padding stats.

We were top three in play action usage and One-Read Dak leads the league in passing yardage off play action. Either him or Goff, I forget. Dak’s numbers have been completely inflated because of defenses stacking the box to stop Zeke.

For some odd reason, they have tried to push the “Air Dak” agenda in Dallas, but even Moore went back to run heavy last week when Dak was foundering around against the bum Giants.

If anything Dalton will be more efficient with the RG and we’ll become more like the Titans. I expect Zeke to actually start having bigger runs late in the game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Obviously, the RPO is no more. It's about giving him a pocket to throw from, working the clock, and using the run game.

Dalton likes quick throws early, and opening it up later.

No more hurry up. That is killing our defense.

We tend to go hurry up, because that’s the only way Dak moves the ball through the air in reality. Moore did in the beginning of last season coming out of the third, when Dak’s numbers in the third were really high.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Getting 12 and 14 carries, he didn't get the chance. Not saying if he can or not, but no running back is based on that number of carries.

Now if he gets 25 carries and doesn't do that well, then we'll have some evidence he can't....
We will see quickly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Dalton may or may not shred the defense, but you're right about the defensive strategy.

And on clear passing downs, they probably bring the house against Dalton, hoping that rust and backup Ts can't be overcome. That *will* give Dalton a chance to shred the defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I do not think MM & Moorer are going to try and protect Dalton like he is some rookie QB that needs protection. He is a veteran QB with a good arm. No fear from coaches throwing the ball all around the field if teams allow them to

I think we were often keeping TEs in to help the Ts block even before Dak went down.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Now that Dak is out for the season expect Zeke and Pollard to get a lot more touches like in the 25-30 range and believe me that will help that limp noodle defense.

It's definitely different. It's not better, but it's different.