The Cowboys play that hurt you the worst!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I don't feel so confident about Dallas' chances of winning even if the Dez catch stood. Say Dallas takes a 27-26 or 29-26 lead, assuming that the Dez catch led to a follow-up Cowboys touchdown. Then you have Aaron Rodgers, one of the best quarterbacks in all of football, driving the Packers downfield against a Cowboys defense that could usually be counted on to fold and collapse when it mattered most.

End result, probably a 33-29 Packers victory or something.

Just to recap the details:

The score was 21-26 at the time of the no-catch.

The play:
4th & 2
Romo to Dez. Dez down at GB 1, (31 yards) - Call Reversed, No-Catch.
Time remaining 4:42

Dez lost the ball because he reached for the goal-line.
- He had the 1st down. Ball security (making certain it was a catch) was WAY more important than scoring at TD.
- Catching it but not scoring a TD would have been better than scoring a TD (burn more clock).
- GB had 1 timeout remaining.

They could have burned some time off the clock if he had just gone down instead of reaching for the goal-line.

The 2-point conversion would have been a huge play; otherwise, a GB FG put them ahead.

Madtowner

Reaction score
For me, it was the Danny White strip sack with the Cowboys at the San Francisco 44 yard line with 38 seconds left in the game. "The Catch" didn't end that game- Cowboys still had a very good chance to win that game!

Tie - apologies to original post.

1. The Catch
  2. Any of the first quarter turnovers vs the 49ers in 1994 that prevented the third SB in a row, a game in which Aikman had perhaps his finest game, almost bringing us back to victory.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Only pick one.
The play that hurt you the worst, and what did you do.

Me: The Leon Lett debacle on Thanksgiving Day against the Dolphins. You remember: we have the game won after Miami misses a field goal, and here comes Leon Lett. When everyone was motioning to stay away from the ball, Lett decides he needs to recover the ball. Slides on the snow. The ball is recovered by the Dolphins. They kick the field goal. They win the game.

I was so upset, I went to my room (I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving) and slept the rest of the night. No second helpings for me. I was done. Didn't want to eat. Didn't want to talk to anyone.
Jackie Smith dropping a easy TD catch in his lap in Super Bowl XIII. The Cowboys would have sealed team of the Decade for the 70's, Staubach would have got a Super Bowl win vs. overrated Bradshaw, and Landry would have finally beaten a with his genius vs. motivational coaches like Lombardi, Nolls, and Jimmy Johnson. Landry invented the 4/3 defense that Lombardi and Noll used, had more winning seasons, playoff appearances, Super Bowl appearances but does not get the nod in recognition when compared to those coaches because a so called Hall of Fame TE drop the easiest catch-able pass in football.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Just to recap the details:

The score was 21-26 at the time of the no-catch.

The play:
4th & 2
Romo to Dez. Dez down at GB 1, (31 yards) - Call Reversed, No-Catch.
Time remaining 4:42

Dez lost the ball because he reached for the goal-line.
- He had the 1st down. Ball security (making certain it was a catch) was WAY more important than scoring at TD.
- Catching it but not scoring a TD would have been better than scoring a TD (burn more clock).
- GB had 1 timeout remaining.

They could have burned some time off the clock if he had just gone down instead of reaching for the goal-line.

The 2-point conversion would have been a huge play; otherwise, a GB FG put them ahead.

Likeliest outcome, if Dez holds on to the ball AND wisely just secures it instead of trying to get touchdown glory, is a first-and-goal for Dallas. Murray probably then punches in the touchdown later on and Cowboys have a 27-26 or 29-26 lead with just a little over the two minute warning.

I think A-Rod then leads Green Bay on a game-winning drive and it's still sad-sack day in Dallasland.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only pick one.
The play that hurt you the worst, and what did you do.

Me: The Leon Lett debacle on Thanksgiving Day against the Dolphins. You remember: we have the game won after Miami misses a field goal, and here comes Leon Lett. When everyone was motioning to stay away from the ball, Lett decides he needs to recover the ball. Slides on the snow. The ball is recovered by the Dolphins. They kick the field goal. They win the game.

I was so upset, I went to my room (I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving) and slept the rest of the night. No second helpings for me. I was done. Didn't want to eat. Didn't want to talk to anyone.

Bomb to Irvin in the championship game against the niners where it was obvious PI on Deon and they didn't call it.

Would have been first and goal at the 5. Would have capped one of the best comebacks in NFL history and 4 championships is a row.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Bomb to Irvin in the championship game against the niners where it was obvious PI on Deon and they didn't call it.

Would have been first and goal at the 5. Would have capped one of the best comebacks in NFL history and 4 championships is a row.

Dallas would still have trailed 38-35. There is this automatic assumption by many Cowboys fans that Deion's PI somehow doomed Dallas to defeat. The Cowboys still had quite a few hurdles to overcome to win, even had a flag been thrown.

dfense

Reaction score
He didn't quit on the route. Crayton gave a hesitation move and the timing was off. Convenient how ya'll want to ignore the very next play which is Romo throwing an interception to seal the game for the Giants.
Crayton not only quit, he dropped a sure big gainer to. And Murray getting stripped by Peppers in Green Bay cost them that playoff game. You want to put it on Romo for that pick against the Giants when half their defense was standing in the endzone.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dallas would still have trailed 38-35. There is this automatic assumption by many Cowboys fans that Deion's PI somehow doomed Dallas to defeat. The Cowboys still had quite a few hurdles to overcome to win, even had a flag been thrown.
I have one word for you....MOMENTUM. That's why fans feel that PI and Stupid Switzer (hired by Jerry after firing a back to back Super Bowl winning HC) running on the field getting a penalty. In my opinion the Switzer penalty killed the comeback.

Rayman70

Reaction score
THE CATCH...then the tackle..same game. in 1981. Folks forget, after Clark caught the TD...Danny white threw an absolute dart through arms to Tony Hill or Pearson....and if not for a fingertip tackle , that's a long game winning TD catch...a walk off win.THAT HURT.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
we all watched the game regardless of the outcome it all ended that way because we had to play out of desperation because Patrick Crayton dropped 3rd down conversion and pulled up on sure big play or TD.. 90% of fans put that as the Crayton Debacle..once your team is out into those stations where its desperation final play , the defense knows what you are doing and makes it tough.. PC you sTuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know why people can't comprehend. The mushroom effect.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I threw a bottle through a 26in Sears console TV. When Smith dropped the ball in the end zone against Pittsburgh. In the Super Bowl. , True story
:lmao: I always figure you as to having a pretty good load of idiot in you
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

* man, that was probably a $400 t.v. or maybe like $600? I never understood that level of intensity, when I was a kid,I'd heard the neighbors 4 or 5 y.o. kid had thrown an ashtray ,busting the picture tube, cuz' the Indians were fixing to burn to death John Wayne, as they had him staked out on the ground,and he either was trying to stop them from doing it or was just trying to make the impending horror go away (idk)
But,I've always thought it was hilarious:lmao:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
THE CATCH...then the tackle..same game. in 1981. Folks forget, after Clark caught the TD...Danny white threw an absolute dart through arms to Tony Hill or Pearson....and if not for a fingertip tackle , that's a long game winning TD catch...a walk off win.THAT HURT.

The D White fumble after that killed.

We are almost in FG range.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Really? Here's mine.

2007, Divisional Playoff Game – Upon losing a three-point fourth quarter lead to the New York Giants, Romo proceeds to finish the game by misfiring on 11 of his final 18 pass attempts. On the game’s final drive, he takes a critical sack, has an intentional grounding penalty, and throws an interception in the end zone with 16 seconds remaining. FINAL SCORE: New York Giants 21, Dallas 17.

http://www.numericsports.com/2013/12/17/its-time-to-stop-apologizing-for-tony-romo/

At that point, TO was out of the game, Glenn was a gimp who never even *practiced* in the NFL again, and Barber was entirely out of gas.

Tony was the only thing the offense had going. Tony threw a winning TD pass, and Crayton pulled up on it.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I'll just shut you down right here.
You got nowhere else to go.
Checkmate.

:laugh: The mere fact that anyone watches that, and blames it on Romo. :lmao2:o_O:rolleyes:
"A hesitation." Nah.... He second guessed, clearly. It would have hit him in stride.