The Cowboys play that hurt you the worst!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 5 moments:

5. In the 1966 Championship game against GB on 4th and goal when Meredith was intercepted.
4. The last 3 minutes of the Ice Bowl, 1967.
3. Super Bowl V- Craig Morton’s late interception that led to Balt’s winning FG
2. The Catch- 1981 NFC championship game.
1. Super Bowl XIII- 3 plays- Jackie Smith’s drop, Pass interference call on Benny Barnes, and Randy White fumble on kickoff.

The Super Bowl XIII loss was the toughest moment for me as a Cowboys fan.

Blake

Reaction score
NOT ALL but we are talking KEY PLAY as stated in OP..PC was responsible for 2 horrible plays that caused the Offense to later be in all throw desperation mode that keys the defense to pin their ears back.. sure win or lose as team but we are talking key plays and you s ROMOHATER cant see through the hate cloud to know we were talking PLAY that hurt the most and those 2 int ag one game were devastating..a last second heave by a lot of QBs can turn out that way its like the hail mary without the distance..the defense knows this ask Russell Wilson how that feel to be picked off late in big game that ended the game.?? TB had games like this last Playoff game but his team overcame it.. PC was the catalyst to that loss and most will always blame him, we all realize there are other factors and players that aided in the loss but PC turned the Flow of the game when we could have taken control and not been in the late close mess of game..Sports guys understand this..bad calls, bad plays, mistakes in the flow of the game that creates the desperate last drive or to are the factors in losing the game more then the last plays..

FACT Troy Aikman threw for 40% less TDs and 40% more INTs for his CAREER then Romo, stat wise Romo was the best QB in Cowboys history(it is about production at your postion that you have to judge, players on teams with a HOF coach and 12 HOF players have distinct advantage, wins and losses are TEAM Stat, your individual stats are your job and should be used to judge a player vs his counterparts)..I luv Aikman and all the historical QBs that came here but Romo did all he could being undrafted learning for 3 years and if not for injuries' hes could have been even more..so NOT giving Romo his props is worse then Romo supporters over hyping him its disrespectful IMO..

I'm on my mobile. Will adress many of the points in your emotional outburst as soon as I get on the computer. But to the point of "Most pin this on Crayton"; that's just false. In the Romostan echo chamber where #9 can do no wrong that is true, but to the rest of objective football society isn't the case.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm on my mobile. Will adress many of the points in your emotional outburst as soon as I get on the computer. But to the point of "Most pin this on Crayton"; that's just false. In the Romostan echo chamber where #9 can do no wrong that is true, but to the rest of objective football society isn't the case.
reread I edited gofor it I have to go to work then the lake and wont care about your response... PC was the cause for this lost..

on Romo read you cant counter that argument unless you simply like to argue..seriously look at the stats they are in plain sight Romo was not mistake prone and threw for better Compl % way more TDs a a better QBR etc etc then TROY..the mighty god here..right.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Horsecollar tackle during attempted comeback after " The Catch". Potential TD to seal win. Next play fumble by Danny White. No chance for FG attempt to possibly win that way...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way too many to remember all of them. But also so many more great plays to out weigh them.

But 2 that come to mind. Murray's carelessness of ball security when he had a sure TD but fumbled in GB playoff game in 2014.
Then that Dez play never would have happened.

The other is the over use of the quick pass to the slot and it was a huge game changer for GB in the 2016 playoffs. We were driving to score. And I seen this happening from the start. GB knew it was coming. So the DB jumps the route or someone missed a block and it was intercepted. GB went on to score a TD on that drive. We would have had a TD or at least a FG. A 10 to 14 point swing. Then that Rodgers last second pass for their FG may not have happened.

I hope Moore removes that play and does not over use the jet sweep.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Man the Dez catch is the worst

At that point it was 19 years since we won a Super Bowl or reach the Championship game for that matter. That was our best chance. We, in my opinion, dominated that whole game until Murray’s goofy *** fumbled and Hannah didnt recover that kickoff. So many missed opportunites :facepalm:

At the time of “the catch” the Boys had just won a Super Bowl 4 years earlier.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The Catch....that one still lingers like throw-up smell on a hot,humid day.

Danny breaking his wrist in ny vs giants...if he stays healthy we win that game...go 7-2 & the whole season changes.

all the blown 4th quarter leads in '88...particularly vs eagles in philly.
that loss in cleveland still bites.

Dez caught it.

rodgers come back in '016.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Man the Dez catch is the worst

At that point it was 19 years since we won a Super Bowl or reach the Championship game for that matter. That was our best chance. We, in my opinion, dominated that whole game until Murray’s goofy *** fumbled and Hannah didnt recover that kickoff. So many missed opportunites :facepalm:

At the time of “the catch” the Boys had just won a Super Bowl 4 years earlier.

And, as someone who has never seen us even in an NFCC game, it really hurt. Especially, as you mentioned, we had dominated that game until Murray's fumble. All he had to do was not fumble. And it still baffles me that Hannah couldn't recover that kick. Had we won that game, I think we'd have gone to the Super Bowl. We had dominated Seattle in their house earlier that season, and I think we would have dominated them again. But, of course, we never got the opportunity to find that out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He didn't quit on the route. Crayton gave a hesitation move and the timing was off. Convenient how ya'll want to ignore the very next play which is Romo throwing an interception to seal the game for the Giants.
Crayton gets consistently bashed because it is hard to admit that Romo spit the bit in the second half of that game.

Alexander

Reaction score
I was maybe 9 or 10, thought Danny White was God and would get them the field goal!
He very well could have had Wright not made the horse collar tackle on Pearson.

But I admit, I had some insane rage for White after the final turnover.

Alexander

Reaction score
Lol.
Revisionist history.
You do know we all seem the game right?
Revisionist history is to pretend that Crayton was the sole reason we lost, the dropped pass earlier that everyone swears was a sure touchdown and the last throw to him. The whole team fell apart after the Giants marched down the field to tie the game before the end of the first half. Might as well start blaming Jacques Reeves too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only pick one.
The play that hurt you the worst, and what did you do.

Me: The Leon Lett debacle on Thanksgiving Day against the Dolphins. You remember: we have the game won after Miami misses a field goal, and here comes Leon Lett. When everyone was motioning to stay away from the ball, Lett decides he needs to recover the ball. Slides on the snow. The ball is recovered by the Dolphins. They kick the field goal. They win the game.

I was so upset, I went to my room (I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving) and slept the rest of the night. No second helpings for me. I was done. Didn't want to eat. Didn't want to talk to anyone.

I don't know if any plays really "hurt" me but the one that irritates me the most is the Dez No-Catch against Green Bay. If that idiot had just focused on ball security, the refs would never have been involved and the Cowboys had a great chance to win that game.

The Cowboys event that "hurt" me the most was the Erik Williams car crash.
- EW was my favorite player and the Cowboys likely win the 94 NFL Championship with a healthy EW.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Only pick one.
The play that hurt you the worst, and what did you do.

Me: The Leon Lett debacle on Thanksgiving Day against the Dolphins. You remember: we have the game won after Miami misses a field goal, and here comes Leon Lett. When everyone was motioning to stay away from the ball, Lett decides he needs to recover the ball. Slides on the snow. The ball is recovered by the Dolphins. They kick the field goal. They win the game.

I was so upset, I went to my room (I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving) and slept the rest of the night. No second helpings for me. I was done. Didn't want to eat. Didn't want to talk to anyone.
the catch 81, I put a dent in my door by hitting it with my fist, nearly broke my hand

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was maybe 9 or 10, thought Danny White was God and would get them the field goal!
He very well could have had Wright not made the horse collar tackle on Pearson.

But I admit, I had some insane rage for White after the final turnover.

Danny White is the 1st player that I can remember that really really irritated me and he did it on a consistent basis.
- He had a tendency to panic at the worst possible times and just throw to ball to nobody which really meant to the defense.

J_Allen

Reaction score
The pass interference no call on Deion versus Irvin. That game hurts.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, that's the new excuse you Romosexuals have to come up with. He had to throw it into coverage? Is that what elite QBs do? Throw the ball into coverage with 16 seconds left on the clock instead of getting the ball into their receivers hands? WOW. The fact remains that Romo threw the game ending interception and it will forever be apart of his playoff legacy.

Romo-sexuals-sexuals this sexuals that....are you having Man issues bud?
Leave the nasty insults at the door there Kramer might find its a better life that way?

Blake

Reaction score
reread I edited gofor it I have to go to work then the lake and wont care about your response... PC was the cause for this lost..

on Romo read you cant counter that argument unless you simply like to argue..seriously look at the stats they are in plain sight Romo was not mistake prone and threw for better Compl % way more TDs a a better QBR etc etc then TROY..the mighty god here..right.

I respect that. No need to let a little message board beef consume our lives. Have a good time at the lake.