The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, the only way that's changing, in all likelihood, is if the NFL puts in a max QB salary like the NBA does. Otherwise, that market is just going to go higher and higher. And 38 is now the going rate for solid, and that's only going to go higher as players like Lamar Jackson get new contracts. Oh, and Aaron Rodgers wants a new deal too apparently. Think he's going to go any less than $45 mil? I don't think so. Guess what that does to the QB market.
that his market why does he want it because hes been to what won a sb and 3 NFCCG and will win an MVP and sees scrubs making this kind of money..hes worth mahomes money although hes long in the tooth, i understand his frustration..they bring in new qb instead of getting him more weapons and it backfired..trade up for QB in the first round instead of say a defender and another offensive weapon to help AR in his final runs..

thats my point the owners must reverse course no rule is needed just flood the market with tier 2/3 vets who want too much money and only pay the truly elite , elite money and wont be enough jobs for the supply demand rate to hold pace..

the stock market can be manipulated and so can the qb market..its coming as like i stated before this will be the biggest turnover in the qb market weve seen in well, maybe never..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's not really our say either way. It's why I say the sooner we sign Dak, the better. If we wait too long, then we will have to let him walk because the market is only going to go higher entering the seasons mentioned in this thread. We really are in a horrible predicament that, had Jerry signed Dak earlier, we wouldn't be in. Now, the defence is completely awful because we never addressed the issues there properly earlier so we wouldn't have this problem. If we had an average QB and Dak wasn't succeeding, then I'd be right there with you on potentially drafting a new QB. However, the reality of the situation is that we are horrible on defence, and we have to fix it. Otherwise, it is going to take a VERY long time to get this team successful, and if we don't have a QB, then we're going to be even more screwed. Luckily, we HAVE a franchise QB that knows the system well and works well with the rest of the team.

well stop saying WE because that infers you or i do does have say LOL

we dont if hes signed great we live with it if not i can fully understand why JJ putt he NEFT on him and allows offers and f the right one doesnt comes we have plan for dak playing his last season here..

this isnt just fantasy football and all for the fans its business and the jones have to make the right business decsions and well Daks not helping..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fur, I like you but I gotta tell you, your take on the 2000 to 2006 era are wrong IMO. The reason we went through such a string of QBs is because we were cap strapped and draft poor. We had managed our team poorly and as a result, traded away numerous high picks for short term players that let us down. We over paid a lot of players and were stuck with dead cap contracts to boot. That's the real reason we couldn't get decent young QB talent at that time.

We are seeing the same thing happen now. Don't be afraid of moving on at QB. At some point, it's gonna happen.

Yes, I'm aware that we were cap strapped and we drafted poorly. Still, one would think, that we could've at least drafted better options than Quincy Carter. And yes, we've managed the cap piss poorly again. We've undone a lot of what Parcells had fixed. However, if we move on from the one thing on offence that keeps the team going, then we are going to be in BIGGER pickle than we are in. At least in my view. I know eventually, we'll have to move on at QB, but I'm worried that we will be in that SAME pickle at QB for the same reasons you're mentioning. I mean, the only other way that I can think of, if we let Dak walk, is we are going to be completely screwed for the next 3 years because we're not going to be able to get a good young QB that can take us anywhere for the same reasons we were in the pickle during that time period. Because this defence isn't winning anything any time soon. Gallup is going to have to leave. Our oline is already crumbling. Our defence is among the worst in the league and only getting worse. In my mind, keeping Dak for a couple more years allows us the ability to maintain a solid QB while being able to essentially do emergency surgery on this defence. Essentially, in my mind, Dak would be that stopgap at QB that we need that can keep us stable while we completely retool this defence through the draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And it was a lucky thing that Romo chose to sign here as opposed to Denver.

I don't think it had anything to do with luck. I think Romo saw what we had at QB and he felt like his best chance to win a spot was in Dallas. Remember, the Saints at the time, had Aaron Brooks, who was much better then anybody the Cowboys had at QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
well stop saying WE because that infers you or i do does have say LOL

we dont if hes signed great we live with it if not i can fully understand why JJ putt he NEFT on him and allows offers and f the right one doesnt comes we have plan for dak playing his last season here..

this isnt just fantasy football and all for the fans its business and the jones have to make the right business decsions and well Daks not helping..

By we, I mean the Cowboys. Not saying necessarily you or me. I'm aware that none of what we talk about is going to ever be read by Jerry anyway. However, in my mind, if the Cowboys are going to remain relevant and have any chance of success while being able to build this defence to at least get it stable enough to be middle of the road, then I think Dak needs to stay.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think it had anything to do with luck. I think Romo saw what we had at QB and he felt like his best chance to win a spot was in Dallas. Remember, the Saints at the time, had Aaron Brooks, who was much better then anybody the Cowboys had at QB.

I recall that about Romo with the decision about Dallas vs Denver for him. As for Brooks, I actually think Romo was better. Plus, Payton left in 2005. The same year they ended up with Brees. I think Romo going into that season would've been better than Brooks. If not, then perhaps Payton would've been inclined to keep Brooks for one season to let Romo finish developing. Either way, things could've been quite different for us if we hadn't kept Romo.

Brax

Reaction score
I DON'T trust Jerry to draft a QB. I laid out 3 recent examples of QBs Jerry wanted to select. Imagine if we had Manziel, Cook, and Lynch QBing us. We'd have been a MASSIVE disaster. Yet THOSE are the QBs Jerry wanted! That's why I'm THANKFUL we lucked into Dak. I DON'T trust Jerry to get lucky again. Especially with the other needs we have. Extending Dak not only gives us a QB for that 4-5 year window, but it takes a major concern away and allows us to focus more on pieces that we REALLY need to address in the draft. We need to build the defence like we did the oline in 2010-2014. The best way to do that is through the draft, as the WFT have learned. If we can start building that side of the ball through the draft with great choices, then we'll be in great shape. If we can get even an average defence, I think Dak can take us the rest of the way. The problem is, we haven't just got an underaverage defence. We've got one of the worst defences of ALL TIME. It doesn't matter who the QB is, you're not winning when you have that bad of a defence.
Dak at elite money does nothing to help with the D Dak at good QB money helps. You do know he had a 9-11ranked D last season and he was 8-8 and that was at a 2.2 million rate, can't wait to see what they field with him at 37 odd million.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
that his market why does he want it because hes been to what won a sb and 3 NFCCG and will win an MVP and sees scrubs making this kind of money..hes worth mahomes money although hes long in the tooth, i understand his frustration..they bring in new qb instead of getting him more weapons and it backfired..trade up for QB in the first round instead of say a defender and another offensive weapon to help AR in his final runs..

thats my point the owners must reverse course no rule is needed just flood the market with tier 2/3 vets who want too much money and only pay the truly elite , elite money and wont be enough jobs for the supply demand rate to hold pace..

the stock market can be manipulated and so can the qb market..its coming as like i stated before this will be the biggest turnover in the qb market weve seen in well, maybe never..

I get that, but again, the other alternative to paying Dak, at least from what I can see, is quite bad also. Either way, I think this franchise is in serious trouble for the next few seasons. The only question is who will QB this team because we have to fix the defence ASAP. Jerry splashed too much on offence in the draft and has drafted poorly on defence. Now, the time has come to get this defence fixed before we reach a point of complete disaster. Worse than the 2000-2006 seasons. If Dallas doesn't keep Dak, then not only does the team have to fix the defence, but then it must find a QB and pray that the QB is 1 a leader like Dak is, 2. has what he needs to have between the ears like Dak does, and 3. can hold the fort while we build the defence, all the while spending a high draft pick on offence again when we desperately need the pick for defence.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's not really our say either way. It's why I say the sooner we sign Dak, the better. If we wait too long, then we will have to let him walk because the market is only going to go higher entering the seasons mentioned in this thread. We really are in a horrible predicament that, had Jerry signed Dak earlier, we wouldn't be in. Now, the defence is completely awful because we never addressed the issues there properly earlier so we wouldn't have this problem. If we had an average QB and Dak wasn't succeeding, then I'd be right there with you on potentially drafting a new QB. However, the reality of the situation is that we are horrible on defence, and we have to fix it. Otherwise, it is going to take a VERY long time to get this team successful, and if we don't have a QB, then we're going to be even more screwed. Luckily, we HAVE a franchise QB that knows the system well and works well with the rest of the team.

I don't think so Fur. Look at what's happening to all of these QBs who have signed record deals. They are all on teams who are trying to get out from under the contracts. I think what we are seeing is the market adjusting itself.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak at elite money does nothing to help with the D Dak at good QB money helps. You do know he had a 9-11ranked D last season and he was 8-8 and that was at a 2.2 million rate, can't wait to see what they field with him at 37 odd million.

I'm actually a bit surprised that they were ranked that high on defence in the 2019 season. They were absolutely putrid against the run that season. And then they hit the wall this season because it became common knowledge that we can't stop the run game. We have to get this defence fixed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think so Fur. Look at what's happening to all of these QBs who have signed record deals. They are all on teams who are trying to get out from under the contracts. I think what we are seeing is the market adjusting itself.
exactly..owners will catch on and change the market..

Brax

Reaction score
Based on what Wentz and Goff get paid....I don't think 38-40 million is paying elite....
Goff got his team to the SB, as for Wentz , why make the same mistake. Both contracts are team killers and you want to do the same to the Cowboys, just don't get it. Goff and Wentz are not making 38-40 million a year so not sure were thats coming from as for Dak he has not accomplished anything to justify elite money..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

If that's the case, then the team has a tough decision to make, and the risk of entering a repeat of the time frame described above if not worse. Because if we do let Dak go, then we have to spend a fairly high draft pick on a QB with a pick that we desperately need defence. I'm for using a pick on a midround QB. But, I would NOT intend on that QB starting this season. Not when we have the needs on defence that we have. And that defence is only going to get worse if we don't figure out how to stop the run. Oh, and we have teams next season that we have to play that can and will exploit that. We play the NFC South and AFC West next season. The Saints, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons (who will be looking for revenge on us), Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, and ESPECIALLY the Chiefs will rip us apart on the ground if we don't address immediate needs on defence.

Brax

Reaction score
I'm actually a bit surprised that they were ranked that high on defence in the 2019 season. They were absolutely putrid against the run that season. And then they hit the wall this season because it became common knowledge that we can't stop the run game. We have to get this defence fixed.
Don't disagree but Jerry thinks O wins and the D suffers. Paying a QB that much cap is not going to fix the D. Dak just isn't worth the $$$ for what he brings to the table. look at 2019 and the failure of the offense when the D played lights out , and it's not only coaching as the start of this season showed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don't disagree but Jerry thinks O wins and the D suffers. Paying a QB that much cap is not going to fix the D. Dak just isn't worth the $$$ for what he brings to the table. look at 2019 and the failure of the offense when the D played lights out , and it's not only coaching as the start of this showed.

Okay, so what then? Do we suck for the next few years while we wait for the next starting QB to fall to us? Because this defence isn't going to fix itself. And the defence, imo, was not exactly lights out in 2019. If you're letting Trubisky run a long way for a TD like he did against us, that's not a lights out defence. Oh, and we let the Jets score a 90+ yard TD, and the Bills killed us on the ground. As I pointed out to ABQ, we have teams that are going to play us next year that we could and are very likely to get pulverized against with the ground games that they have if we don't use this draft to fix the defence. And this draft happens to have a lot of what we need on defence. It's got a lot of good CBs, DTs, and LBs. All things that we need help at. The only thing it's not really deep at is S to take high. If Jerry would put his bloody impulses on draft night aside and be smart with the draft, we'd go defence the entire way in the draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I recall that about Romo with the decision about Dallas vs Denver for him. As for Brooks, I actually think Romo was better. Plus, Payton left in 2005. The same year they ended up with Brees. I think Romo going into that season would've been better than Brooks. If not, then perhaps Payton would've been inclined to keep Brooks for one season to let Romo finish developing. Either way, things could've been quite different for us if we hadn't kept Romo.

They could have been. Both good and bad but at the time, we really had no options, to be honest. Anyway, I do appreciate that you are loyal to the players. If this were 20 years ago and the league wasn't the way it is now, I'd probably be right there with you.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They could have been. Both good and bad but at the time, we really had no options, to be honest. Anyway, I do appreciate that you are loyal to the players. If this were 20 years ago and the league wasn't the way it is now, I'd probably be right there with you.

My loyalty isn't only to the players, but also wanting to see this team go beyond the NFC Division round. I've never seen us get beyond that, and I shudder the thought of being without a franchise QB for what could be a while if we don't proceed carefully. When your first seasons as a fan consist of 3 straight 5-11s, it makes you very cautious and not wanting to go back to those awful memories. And I see this team deteriorating. I'd get rid of Zeke and Jaylon right now if it'd help us keep Dak because we can replace RB and LB much more easily than we can QB. We have an excellent history of solid RBs, and you can always find a good one mid-late in the draft. You can't always find a great QB, even in what seems like a QB loaded draft. Sometimes, the QBs are all hyped and look great, but then all are rubbish. We saw this in 2015 with Mariota and Winston. Both were heavily hyped, and both turned out to be horrible. 2013, there was ONE QB taken in round 1, and the highest rated QB in Geno Smith turned out to be taken in round 2 and was putrid. If we're not careful with how we proceed, things could go pearshaped very easily, and I don't see a Parcells around that can save us unless Belichick leaves New England and we somehow lure him like we did Parcells.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My loyalty isn't only to the players, but also wanting to see this team go beyond the NFC Division round. I've never seen us get beyond that, and I shudder the thought of being without a franchise QB for what could be a while if we don't proceed carefully. When your first seasons as a fan consist of 3 straight 5-11s, it makes you very cautious and not wanting to go back to those awful memories. And I see this team deteriorating. I'd get rid of Zeke and Jaylon right now if it'd help us keep Dak because we can replace RB and LB much more easily than we can QB. We have an excellent history of solid RBs, and you can always find a good one mid-late in the draft. You can't always find a great QB, even in what seems like a QB loaded draft. Sometimes, the QBs are all hyped and look great, but then all are rubbish. We saw this in 2015 with Mariota and Winston. Both were heavily hyped, and both turned out to be horrible. 2013, there was ONE QB taken in round 1, and the highest rated QB in Geno Smith turned out to be taken in round 2 and was putrid. If we're not careful with how we proceed, things could go pearshaped very easily, and I don't see a Parcells around that can save us unless Belichick leaves New England and we somehow lure him like we did Parcells.

Yeah, truth be told I kind think that's part of the problem with fan disconnect. The younger fans have no idea what it was like or what a championship team actually looks like. I wonder if sometimes that leads us to the wrong conclusions?

Doesn't matter. Thats it for me Fellas. Time for me to hit the showers, see you guys tomorrow.

817Gill

Reaction score
And now, the Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006, brought to you by Furboy

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.
Same man, I was born in ‘95 so the 1999-2000 Cowboys were my first memories of watching football. I actually will always have a soft spot for Quincy Carter because that one season was fun and he had a little juice to his game.

In fact it is because of these terrible years that my favorite QB has always been Romo. He was the only one worth a damn when I was growing up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, truth be told I kind think that's part of the problem with fan disconnect. The younger fans have no idea what it was like or what a championship team actually looks like. I wonder if sometimes that leads us to the wrong conclusions?

Doesn't matter. Thats it for me Fellas. Time for me to hit the showers, see you guys tomorrow.

See you tomorrow. Good conversation. And I suppose that what you're saying is true.