News: The Cowboys release Tony Romo

Reaction score
It's the same. The difference would be cutting him now versus cutting him now with a June 1st designation.
are you sure? I'm certainly no Contract/Cap guru but I thought releasing him allows the Cowboys to spread the cap hit over the remaining contract years where him retiring would mean realizing the cap hit all in 2017. Can anyone more knowledgeable here expand on this?

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Some of you people are just nutty.

There is NO WAY, absolutely no way, Romo changes his mind. My God, the man is walking into the lead color spot at one of the 2 major NFL networks (and he gets to do golf on the side too). There are people in the industry who've toiled for 20 years who would sell their mother and 1st born for that position. Look at where 99% of ex-NFL players end up when they leave the field for TV. They're either paying dues by doing college gigs or playing a role in a round-table setting. Nobody just walks into the door that Romo has open for him.

Oh, and by the way NOBODY EVER leaves those jobs. They offer a financial, lifestyle, profile, and quality of life that 99% of the people here (and 100% of the people who would "find it funny") would kill for.

And exchange it for what? A taste with a Houston or Denver team where he has no relationship with either owners or coaching staffs?

Its as if people think Romo is stupid or something.
Its more like people want drama, no matter how asinine it is. The team be damned... just so grown men can have something to gossip about at the watercooler, or on twitter...

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo and CBS will be holding a press conference at 3 pm to announce Romo will be taking over for Simms......in 2019. Also, they will be announcing Tony's new 2-year deal with the Denver Broncos. Can you imagine?? Elway there with his big toothy grin, high-fiving Romo about how they just got over on Jerry. I love the Cowboys, but that would be awesome.
Delete your account.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
are you sure? I'm certainly no Contract/Cap guru but I thought releasing him allows the Cowboys to spread the cap hit over the remaining contract years where him retiring would mean realizing the cap hit all in 2017. Can anyone more knowledgeable here expand on this?

Retirement, release, trades all work the same regarding cap hits.

Whether he was "cut" or "retired" the June 1st designation is still an option, which is what I believe the team is doing. It's not the release or retirement that changes the cap hit, it's the full release now versus June 1st designation.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think YOU need to get a grip.
I am pretty sure there are a few here who would revel in it.
I am pretty sure you would have a hay day finding one way or another to blame it on Jerry to make yourself feel better about yourself.
So...you get a grip.
@Alexander still taking Ls.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he is playing Jerry and I don't think Jerry was playing him.
I know it is the vogue thing to do to make this team or front office look bad no matter what.

Romo wanted to move on from this team. Probably wanted to initially go to another team.
Jerry wanted to try and get some trade value for it or at the very least have a gentlemen's agreement with Romo about where he would go if he went to another team.
I think after Romo stopped and thought about it for a bit with his family he knew that he would have to do a few things going to another team...

1. Start over with a new Front office and Head coach.
Some may say so what on that...I think there is no way he will ever find the same amount of family, friendship and frankly power that he had with Jerry and Jason with another Front office or HC. Nor would he probably have a say in what players they might bring in or draft and I think he did have some of that with the cowboys.
2. Start over with a new offense. Even if the offense is similar it would be different and he would have to learn the verbage and so on. Many QBs do that all the time I understand that but he is at the end of his career.
3. The unknown of new players, new offensive line, new WR, new RB and so on. Some times players get a sync when working with each other where they can just look at each other and know to change a call. That would start all over.

Those are just a few reasons. Plus let's not forget that he has been injured a good deal the last few years and bad backs rarely return to be 100% healthy again when you get older...especially if you are getting nailed by big guys paid to hurt you.
He has to worry about quality of his future health going forward. He has two young children and another on the way. He is not that old and can still enjoy a long golf playing life if he wishes. Then he gets a job offer to make decent money, not have to put his body on the line, he can keep his home where it is. He can also get a chance to work with someone who also happens to announce golf so maybe there is some future in that area as well...at worst I am sure Nantz can introduce him to plenty of golfers and I am sure Romo would love that as well.

Romo can do what he wants now. He has played his butt off on this team and has taken more punishment trying to help this team win when he was dodging defenders left and right before the cowboys decided to take the Oline serious in the draft.

If he does decide to later play...more power to him.

Sorry I just don't a problem with that if it did happen and I don't think it reflects power on Jerry if he does.
Great post. I hope he stays in shape just in case we need him.

EST_1986

Reaction score
it's a conspiracy isn't it
you act as if "sources" are 110% accurate.

Romo posting a picture in the CBS jacket and the Cowboys release of Romo make this seem more official. Since word from Romo and the Cowboys have came out.

waving monkey

Reaction score

That statement is scary.

We did everything he asked us to do. We wanted to do what's in his best interest.

Things a competent GM would say.

I think so, He[Tony] gave it all to this team and got the a bum deal [for him] in the end. Class act from JJones.
Of course some want to keep it business.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think so, He[Tony] gave it all to this team and got the a bum deal [for him] in the end. Class act from JJones.
Of course some want to keep it business.

It is business. Why would anyone want to treat it any other way? This is a business.

willia451

Reaction score
Photoshop :-D

Well, I guess that really is that.

Sorry to see him not playing NFL football anymore. Was looking forward to watching him still throw down. Even if it was not with the Cowboys anymore.

However, I take solace in the fact that the Texans screwed themselves horribly.

So its not a total loss.

waving monkey

Reaction score
you act as if "sources" are 110% accurate.

Romo posting a picture in the CBS jacket and the Cowboys release of Romo make this seem more official. Since word from Romo and the Cowboys have came out.
if you dont see the dead corpse it ain't evidence