The defense failed because of its construction

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's a nickel league these days. What teams play an actual 3-4 against the 3WR base sets of today?

That 3-4 is kinda growing on me, though. But I see the same problem you do. We don't have the horses. Mazi needs a big jump in play to make that work as the nose. But I can see Osa as a good for a 3-4 DE. If DLaw can be the other 3-4DE, we'd be almost there. I think he's a little small for that.

What makes it real interesting is a 3-4 package like that lets us naturally shift to 4-3 with Parsons moving to DE. Same personnel package for two different alignments.

The NT is the key player to make it work, but Parson is the guy who could make it special. He can do *anything* you need.

I have thought that Quinn has been *trying* to move to more 3-4 looks, but just didn't have the horses. Osa and Mazi are better fits for 3-4, but Mazi not near good enough yet. Maybe they fill out Fehoko some and give him a try at the other DE. The nice thing about 3-4DEs is they're decent DTs for a 4 man pass rush too.

Come on Mazi. You're the key to make it work.

I mean in terms of playing a base. Maybe there is a 3-4 nickle we can use or a dime package that would work better. But, when we know the run is coming, a 3-4 base is better able to stop it imo.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's a nickel league these days. What teams play an actual 3-4 against the 3WR base sets of today?

That 3-4 is kinda growing on me, though. But I see the same problem you do. We don't have the horses. Mazi needs a big jump in play to make that work as the nose. But I can see Osa as a good for a 3-4 DE. If DLaw can be the other 3-4DE, we'd be almost there. I think he's a little small for that.

What makes it real interesting is a 3-4 package like that lets us naturally shift to 4-3 with Parsons moving to DE. Same personnel package for two different alignments.

The NT is the key player to make it work, but Parson is the guy who could make it special. He can do *anything* you need.

I have thought that Quinn has been *trying* to move to more 3-4 looks, but just didn't have the horses. Osa and Mazi are better fits for 3-4, but Mazi not near good enough yet. Maybe they fill out Fehoko some and give him a try at the other DE. The nice thing about 3-4DEs is they're decent DTs for a 4 man pass rush too.

Come on Mazi. You're the key to make it work.

Also, yes, Mazi is key for making it work. But we need another DT who can be a true NT.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah but besides Ferguson who else came to fight? CD was getting pushed around and Dak was lost.
Prescott wasn't lost you just answered your own question to the why he didnt have a lot of paces to go full zone 4 man rush with no one really open or where they were supposed to BE! meanwhile jordan love looked like he was throwing to a scrimmage session like 11 on 7 dudes were so wide open you had to PAN out to see the defenders!!! that and a good run game and scheme..

movaughn88

Reaction score
I agree with all of this except for Parsons. I think the player we should trade is Lamb. I think finding a WR is easier in the draft than a Parsons replacement. This is especially since we should be running a 3-4, and Parsons would be critical in a switch to the 3-4. I think Lamb would get a lot of picks, and we can then use one of the picks to take advantage of what should be a good receiver class. Meanwhile, we need most of the other moves to be about shifting to a 3-4 base.
I dunno man, that would bring me to flashbacks of when we had like Alan Hurns as our WR2 or 3.

I think you need an elite WR to be a top team in this league.

We don't have anyone remotely close to a WR1 to replace him and you can't just draft a WR who's elite year 1.

CWR

Reaction score
Prescott wasn't lost you just answered your own question to the why he didnt have a lot of paces to go full zone 4 man rush with no one really open or where they were supposed to BE! meanwhile jordan love looked like he was throwing to a scrimmage session like 11 on 7 dudes were so wide open you had to PAN out to see the defenders!!! that and a good run game and scheme..
I dont blame the loss exclusively on Dak. He had his part, and I believe he was set up for failure. That said we saw CD pouting on the sideline. My take is he was frustrated because they were being blanketed and GB knew exactly how to defend our offense.

What I'd like my QB and leader of the team to do is go to his coach and tell them this isn't working. Coach what do you think about running this instead etc. Unless you're of the belief there was NOTHING we could have done.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dont blame the loss exclusively on Dak. He had his part, and I believe he was set up for failure. That said we saw CD pouting on the sideline. My take is he was frustrated because they were being blanketed and GB knew exactly how to defend our offense.

What I'd like my QB and leader of the team to do is go to his coach and tell them this isn't working. Coach what do you think about running this instead etc. Unless you're of the belief there was NOTHING we could have done.
We I would've been a little bit confused or annoyed at the fact that they got rid of all the motion, any creativity, seemed to revert back to the Niner game type offense.....

they were playing not to lose, I think MM is bit scared of our defense to the point where it is afraid to do anything that might be risky.... i'm still confused on why dan quinn gets to choose whether he stays or not, i mean did they say what we saw??

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I dunno man, that would bring me to flashbacks of when we had like Alan Hurns as our WR2 or 3.

I think you need an elite WR to be a top team in this league.

We don't have anyone remotely close to a WR1 to replace him and you can't just draft a WR who's elite year 1.

We could use the pick from Lamb to draft a replacement WR. We're bound to get at least a first for him, and this is a good WR class.

CWR

Reaction score
We I would've been a little bit confused or annoyed at the fact that they got rid of all the motion, any creativity, seemed to revert back to the Niner game type offense.....

they were playing not to lose, I think MM is bit scared of our defense to the point where it is afraid to do anything that might be risky.... i'm still confused on why dan quinn gets to choose whether he stays or not, i mean did they say what we saw??
I understand being a team player and chain of command, following orders etc. So it may be unrealistic to expect my QB to speak up. There is a diplomatic way to approach it though. Dak is a vet, and should be more than capable of reading the field, seeing what's working and what isn't, AND making suggestions to MM. He shouldn't have to do that, but it's his reputation on the line and it's the type of thing I could see Aikman or one of the greats doing had they worked under a coach who was slow to react.

As a player and team leader I'd have approached MM and asked him about trying what I thought would work.

Dan Quinn puzzles me. He's so good so often, but then just absolutely craps the bed when we need him the most. His superbowl loss showed how badly he can implode and that hasn't changed.

kwcool619

Reaction score
The GB loss was a total organizational failure from Jerry, Front Office, Scouting, Coaching, down to the players. Got to be a better construction and mindset of the team. My Lakers are a current example of bad roster construction.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd focus this upcoming draft on 3 places. Linebacker, running back, and NT. I'd take at least two linebackers this draft. If Penix doesn't drop to us at 24, take the best linebacker available, and then take another in round 5 or 6. If Penix does (assuming we go QB round 1), then go LB in rounds 2 and 5 and/or 6. I'd then go running back. I'd like the back from Texas (Brooks) in round 3.

The draft is deep at OL so we have to focus on OL rds 1-2, therefore defense will have to come via FA

4. Sign a real MLB in FA and get 1 in rds 3-5
Cowboys have no 4th,5th or 6th round pick. They will probably get a 6th for Schultz but that will be very bottom 6th.

kskboys

Reaction score
Coaching truly matters and Jerry never had any respect for that.

It’s not even a matter of discipline or being a tough guy or whatever….it’s about being able to mask your weaknesses and exploit the same of the opponent.

Notice how it’s always our glaring weakness that the better teams take advantage of, yet the opposite literally never happens.

Why does he never hire a bright up and coming coordinator? It’s either someone with zero experience or a retread that no one else wants.

Jerry figures he can hire puppets because coaching is something that anyone can do, and/or he doesn’t want the HC to possibly take any of the credit or the spotlight away from him.

How is anyone supposed to overcome that?

It’s actually commendable that MM has gotten us this far. It’s as close to impossible to win here as it could possibly be.
And Quinn did a great job masking our weaknesses. Problem is, that only works against lesser teams. Doesn't work against the SF's of the league

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I read that we might have a 5th and 6th comp pick. Either way, one of those should be used on a depth LB, and the other should be for a NT.
Yes I read through a few articles of recent they say one 5th and one 6th. Those are of course after 32 picks are made in each round. So pretty far down, should take a long long time after the third round pick is made.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean...how do we know the defense is in such disarray?

Was Vanderesch guaranteed to lose most of his battles if he played this year? Without commenting that he was guaranteed to get hurt. I guess most are going to go negative and suggest he is trash no matter what.

Was Overshown too small to make a difference at Linebacker?

Nothing wrong with identifying areas spots on a team...but suggesting the team was constructed to fail when two linebackers go down before season starts. One, a large linebacker that might have been able to fill gaps better than our hybrid safeties and whom was a starter...the Other was a rookie projected to get a lot of playing time.
LVE has been injury prone his entire career, going back to college.

Overshown is a rook and should not have been counted on to start right away.

If Jerry didn't know these two nuggets, then he is even dumber than we are suggesting.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes I read through a few articles of recent they say one 5th and one 6th. Those are of course after 32 picks are made in each round. So pretty far down, should take a long long time after the third round pick is made.

Sure, and this would be a year where I'd hope Jerry might be a bit more active in FA knowing that lol.