The DT Position

Sydla

Reaction score
Like Takk, but Haason Reddick is the superior player and playmaker, our very own Von Miller:

Overview
Reddick's athleticism has blossomed over the past two seasons for the Owls. The former high school running back and safety showed flashes as a pass rusher in his redshirt freshman (14 tackles, four for loss, one sack) and sophomore (23 tackles, seven TFL, 1.5 sacks) seasons. Reddick and teammate Dion Dawkins got into trouble for an assault outside a Philadelphia nightclub in March 2015, but was not suspended. He was selected for honorable mention All-American Athletic Conference honors that year, starting 12 times, making 45 tackles, 12.5 for loss, and five sacks. The Camden, New Jersey native garnered first-team all-conference recognition for head coach Matt Rhule as a senior, finishing third in the nation with 22.5 tackles for loss and leading the Owls with 10.5 sacks.

Analysis
Strengths
Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Great flexibility with loose hips to turn, twist, and chase. Excellent reactive quickness and change-of-direction agility. Dynamic playmaker in space. Locks onto targets and instantly accelerates to the ball. Finished 2016 regular season with 21.5 tackles for loss. Fluid mover around field. Has chase range over extended territory. Eyes work past blockers and into backfield. Slips and slides around the edge and through small creases. Always working feet into improved positioning after contact. Came in as a defensive back and has experience on all three levels. Has athleticism in space and necessary instincts to be legit cover talent as linebacker. Rushes with good bend and forward lean. Difficult to handle on tackle/end twists back inside. Turns corner with tight track to quarterback once he pries the edge open.
Weaknesses
Undersized by NFL standards for position he's currently playing. Labors to disengage once size is on top of him. Will need more play strength to ward off NFL blockers. Improving with hands, but needs to continue technique work to control blockers. Lacks necessary bulk, length, and play strength to set a strong edge as an NFL 3-4 outside linebacker. Marginal speed-to-power ability. Connects and sticks to tackles when trying to bull-rush under their pads. Pass rush reliant upon athletic talent and cursory hand play. Needs more diversified rush plans. Slides off of too many tackles. Missed 16 tackles over final two seasons at Temple. Needs to chest-up and run feet through contact. Played in fewer than 70 percent of team's defensive snaps.
NFL Comparison
Ryan Shazier
Bottom Line
Injuries limited Reddick to just four games over last two years of high school, forcing him to walk on at Temple. The Owls staff helped him unlock his explosive athletic traits on the field, which resulted in three forced fumbles, 9.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss in 2016. Reddick's speed and athleticism might give him a greater shot at impacting the game as a 3-4 inside linebacker or a 4-3 WILL rather than trying to bulk up and play the edge. An ascending prospect with a high-end potential if he can continue to hone his craft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/haason-reddick?id=2557887

Here's why I can't get behind Reddick.

He's not an every down player in this system. He's a situational guy. Miller is an every down player in a 3-4 defense. Where are you putting Reddick in a 4-3? He's a situational DE and you aren't going to take Lee off the field at LB for him. He did play some MLB in the Senior Bowl so maybe he's insurance with Smith?

Maybe it's just me, but I need my first round pick to be more than a situational guy. I need him to be an every down impact type of player.

WeaponX

Reaction score

He's not an every down player in this system. He's a situational guy. Miller is an every down player in a 3-4 defense. Where are you putting Reddick in a 4-3? He's a situational DE and you aren't going to take Lee off the field at LB for him. He did play some MLB in the Senior Bowl so maybe he's insurance with Smith?

Maybe it's just me, but I need my first round pick to be more than a situational guy. I need him to be an every down impact type of player.

Von Miller was an every down player in the 4-3 that Denver ran prior to switching to the 3-4. Seattle did the same thing with Bruce Irvin, and Oakland with Khalil Mack (his first year). They all play(ed) LB in base and were pass rushers in nickel and and on pass downs, replacing a down lineman. IMO, it takes a very special player to be able to excel in that role and still provide the consistent pass rush that would be required of them as a premier pick, and as we know both Von Miller and Khalil Mack were top 5 guys, and Irvin was top 15, I believe. Reddick certainly looks like he's able to handle the 4-3 LB aspect of this package, but I don't know if he'll be the true pass rusher vs. a blitzer. If he's a blitzer more than a pass rusher, I agree with you.

The other thing to consider is where we are picking, would a Jamie Collins type of player be worth that late first? I'd be inclined to say yes contingent upon a true 1st round graded edge guy not being available at that spot.

Reactions: BAT

Sydla

Reaction score
Von Miller was an every down player in the 4-3 that Denver ran prior to switching to the 3-4. Seattle did the same thing with Bruce Irvin, and Oakland with Khalil Mack (his first year). They all play(ed) LB in base and were pass rushers in nickel and and on pass downs, replacing a down lineman. IMO, it takes a very special player to be able to excel in that role and still provide the consistent pass rush that would be required of them as a premier pick, and as we know both Von Miller and Khalil Mack were top 5 guys, and Irvin was top 15, I believe. Reddick certainly looks like he's able to handle the 4-3 LB aspect of this package, but I don't know if he'll be the true pass rusher vs. a blitzer. If he's a blitzer more than a pass rusher, I agree with you.

The other thing to consider is where we are picking, would a Jamie Collins type of player be worth that late first? I'd be inclined to say yes contingent upon a true 1st round graded edge guy not being available at that spot.

If Smith is healthy (I get that's a reach at this point) and Lee is fine, which LB you taking off the field for Reddick? We play a lot of nickel so investing a first round pick in a potential SAM LB is a stretch to me.

I like Reddick a lot but I am just not sure we can justify a first round pick on a situation player when there could be a CB or even WR sitting there at 28 that might have a bigger impact.

WeaponX

Reaction score
If Smith is healthy (I get that's a reach at this point) and Lee is fine, which LB you taking off the field for Reddick? We play a lot of nickel so investing a first round pick in a potential SAM LB is a stretch to me.

I like Reddick a lot but I am just not sure we can justify a first round pick on a situation player when there could be a CB or even WR sitting there at 28 that might have a bigger impact.

I agree with you on that. If Reddick doesn't have the ability to be a primary rusher in the nickel package than I'm not an advocate of taking him in the first for the same reasons you mentioned. In the event that we grade him with that ability, he rushes in place of one of our base ends and Smith and Lee stay on the field. Admittedly, I actually think J Smith (if healthy) could be that LB/LEO but we look to be committed to using him as the Mike and by all accounts he's excellent in coverage, so the only way I take the SAM in Rd. 1 is if he's not really a SAM, but a true SAM/LEO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to a lesser Sheldon Rankins. Rankins is available to be signed outright. More expensive but that 2nd or 3rd round pick could go towards a more productive playmaker IMO. This draft is not as deep at DT imo. Dallas needs to go after value and proven playmaking, especially early in the draft. Save the projects for later, window to contend is now. Need guys who can contribute next season. 2-3 years from now anything can happen.
Rankins was a 2016 draft pick. How can he be signed outright?

Are you referring to Sheldon Richardson? The Jets picked up his 5th year option.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

SAM in base.
DE in Nickel.

Sydla

Reaction score
SAM in base.
DE in Nickel.

We play nickel quite a bit, not just on 3rd downs. He's too small to be a regular DE in the nickel. He'd basically be a DE in obvious passing downs.

Not sure that justifies taking him in the first round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We play nickel quite a bit, not just on 3rd downs. He's too small to be a regular DE in the nickel. He'd basically be a DE in obvious passing downs.

Not sure that justifies taking him in the first round.

I agree that it's not the ideal option in the 1st round, but if he is the BPA, then I think it has to be considered.

The way they rotate on the DL, the starting RDE probably plays about 60% of the snaps and rests for about 40% of the snaps. If he played LB for 20% of the snaps and rests for 40%, then he is playing DE for 40% of the snaps. Maybe he does not rest that much and plays 50% of the DE snaps but all of those snaps are in the Nickel (When the offense has 3 or 4 WRs).

The other question is just how good can he be as a 4-3 LB. IMO, if he had played strictly as an off-the-line (non-pass rushing) LB, he might be rated very high at that position. If he is worth a 1st just as a LB, then his pass rushing ability would be a bonus.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think Reddick could be the type of dynamic player you find a place to play and build the defense around. But if I'm wrong he could be the player without a position like a better version of Kyle Wilber. That uncertainty is not ideal for a first round pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree that it's not the ideal option in the 1st round, but if he is the BPA, then I think it has to be considered.

The way they rotate on the DL, the starting RDE probably plays about 60% of the snaps and rests for about 40% of the snaps. If he played LB for 20% of the snaps and rests for 40%, then he is playing DE for 40% of the snaps. Maybe he does not rest that much and plays 50% of the DE snaps but all of those snaps are in the Nickel (When the offense has 3 or 4 WRs).

The other question is just how good can he be as a 4-3 LB. IMO, if he had played strictly as an off-the-line (non-pass rushing) LB, he might be rated very high at that position. If he is worth a 1st just as a LB, then his pass rushing ability would be a bonus.

FWIW, I read that coaches had him playing some MLB at the Senior Bowl and were surprised how quickly he took to it. Someone actually compared him a little bit to Smith...........

He's definitely an intriguing prospect. I like him a lot and if we were a 3-4, I'd be all over the kid. I am just not sure you can find enough ways to use him in our defense. If Marinelli can, then sign me up.

tm1119

Reaction score
FWIW, I read that coaches had him playing some MLB at the Senior Bowl and were surprised how quickly he took to it. Someone actually compared him a little bit to Smith...........

He's definitely an intriguing prospect. I like him a lot and if we were a 3-4, I'd be all over the kid. I am just not sure you can find enough ways to use him in our defense. If Marinelli can, then sign me up.

If our current D coordinator can't affectively use a player like Reddick then I want a new 1.

Obviously not going to be happen, but it drives me crazy when we pass on talent for "Rod's guy". I know our d line talent was by no means good last year, but the amount of snaps he ran Jack Crawford out there at DE was insane to me. And I'm afraid we're to see more of the same, even if it's not Crawford next year it wlll likely be someone else.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He's not an every down player in this system.
There seems to be a lot of talented players that you can simply cross off the list based on the antiquated and rigid system we employ defensively.

That is why it is so hard to find good talent for it. Not everybody is long enough, has enough quick twitch, can be given nickname.

Too bad, because it makes it easier to pass on talent and makes the scouting process harder.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Reddick could be the type of dynamic player you find a place to play and build the defense around. But if I'm wrong he could be the player without a position like a better version of Kyle Wilber. That uncertainty is not ideal for a first round pick.

He did drop in coverage occasionally in college. He had an INT at 1:34 in this video. He seems like he would be really good against the run as a 4-3 LB.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Reddick is an every down player. Not necessarily an every down EDGE, but he can play LB in base, nickel or dime. He's that good. Von Miller also played SAM as a 4-3 (before Wade) and then played DE on passing downs. Same with Bruce Irvin in Seattle. Same with Barr in Minnesota.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Would sign Jamie Collins too. But Reddick is much better pass rusher, natural bender and better technique.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would sign Jamie Collins too. But Reddick is much better pass rusher, natural bender and better technique.
Jamie Collins signed a 4 year, $50 million contract with the Cleveland Browns on January 24, 2017.

WeaponX

Reaction score
I'll dive in more but I'm really warming up to him if he's got the goods as a rusher like you mentioned.

Sydla

Reaction score
Reddick is an every down player. Not necessarily an every down EDGE, but he can play LB in base, nickel or dime. He's that good. Von Miller also played SAM as a 4-3 (before Wade) and then played DE on passing downs. Same with Bruce Irvin in Seattle. Same with Barr in Minnesota.

Seattle, Denver and Minnesota. All three teams that have more creative and flexible DCs than we do.

My feeling on Reddick not being a fit is more a scheme issue and DC issue than an actual talent issue with the kid. Marinelli is very stubborn IMO in what he does. People keep pointing out he tried Wilber at DE but that wasn't out of creativity............ it was out of sheer need as we were struggling to put DEs on the field.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Seattle, Denver and Minnesota. All three teams that have more creative and flexible DCs than we do.

My feeling on Reddick not being a fit is more a scheme issue and DC issue than an actual talent issue with the kid. Marinelli is very stubborn IMO in what he does. People keep pointing out he tried Wilber at DE but that wasn't out of creativity............ it was out of sheer need as we were struggling to put DEs on the field.

Agree to disagree. I believe in bringing in playmakers and letting the coaches put them in best position to succeed. Cowboys liked Shazier and Mack, this kid can could be a combo of both. Coaches come and go, teams invest in their players. The smart ones anyway.