The Elite QB Farce

keysersoze

Reaction score
IMO this thread was presented as a defense for not having an Elite QB. Attempting to downgrade the importance of having one.

That’s why I’m responding anyway because I believe it’s of great importance in having a consistent SB contender. Obviously you can still win without one.
So why argue the point if you know most teams need no so called Elite Quarterback to win championships? This is a baseless argument because since the 90s cowboys teams only the Giants and Patriots have won multiple Super Bowls. Eli ain’t elite and Brady had Elite coaching and schematics. He’s not considered elite because he’s a rare talent. I doubt he’d be effective on other teams. Just my opinion

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So why argue the point if you know most teams need no so called Elite Quarterback to win championships? This is a baseless argument because since the 90s cowboys teams only the Giants and Patriots have won multiple Super Bowls. Eli ain’t elite and Brady had Elite coaching and schematics. He’s not considered elite because he’s a rare talent. I doubt he’d be effective on other teams. Just my opinion
Because I think it is important in building a SB contender. More likely to be having opportunities to break thru. Thats the biggest reason those teams are always in it despite how many championships they win.

Im not even going to address the speculative argument with Brady. And I’m not sure why you don’t count the Steelers multiple Super Bowl wins?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We say that but yet we see key throws which stifle the team.

If we were to insert a Mahomes do you not think that advances our performance significantly?

Defenses could no longer focus on stopping Elliott. It opens up everything. No more stacking the line.

We go back to dominating time of possession keeping our defense off the field. Scoring in the Redzone.

Yes, we have other issues but with the talent we already have on offense inserting an Elite QB really turns up the dial for us. I’m not sure how you’d stop us.
No question about it anymore than I think if the Cowboys had Rodgers or Brees they'd be better. That's not the point. And they've each won only one.

The good teams find the way to win with whomever they have at QB just like TEN and SF have done it with the run game and D.

The pitfall of the elite QB is dependency on him. We've seen that with every one of them including Brady this year. As well as Jackson, Wilson and Watson in the playoffs. And Clemson found out what happens when that guy has an off night.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There are plenty of teams that would want Prescott, we just have some idiot fans that are miserable in life and it shows with every hate post.
People are miserable in life because they don't want average Dak as the QB right? I guess you're not miserable correct? Why don't you post how you non miserable Dak fans are living so we can be inspired? I just want to see what I'm missing from thinking this average QB isn't that good since allegedly my life is sooooo miserable. Maybe I'll get on team Dak if your post convinces me I'm missing out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No question about it anymore than I think if the Cowboys had Rodgers or Brees they'd be better. That's not the point. And they've each won only one.

The good teams find the way to win with whomever they have at QB just like TEN and SF have done it with the run game and D.

The pitfall of the elite QB is dependency on him. We've seen that with every one of them including Brady this year. As well as Jackson, Wilson and Watson in the playoffs. And Clemson found out what happens when that guy has an off night.
Again this argument based on them only winning one championship.

Why doesn’t Rodgers other 4 championship appearances mean anything or 10 out of 12 seasons in the playoffs? That’s what having an Elite QB represents . A consistent SB contender.

This attempt to downgrade their importance since they don’t win all the championships is obviously generated to spin a support mechanism for having a less than Elite QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
With the exception of Brady and the Pats. Which other team with ELITE QUARTERBACKS have won multiple Super Bowls? Actually the only other team to win multiple Super Bowls in recent history is the NY Giants and we all can agree that Eli is far from elite. So that bs theory is false if we are looking to win multiple championships and to not only contend. It’s good for fantasy football tho. But the best teams who are dynasties are superior because of coaching and team culture more so than an elite quarterback. But hey!!! Hang on to your beliefs and agendas if it makes you feel better.

I don't disagree with you. But short of trying to speak for someone else, I'll just give my useless opinion. I think all the dude is saying is that when you have a really good QB you're in the mix far more often than not. Of course poor coaching can throw all of this out the window. But if you have a good coaching staff and a really good quarterback, you're probably going to be contenders far more often than not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You take the average QB and I’ll take the Elite QB and we’ll see who has a better 10-15 year run.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real problem with elite QB's is identifying them. Look at all of the QB's taken just in the 1st round and there was no guarantee with any of them. Burrow and Tua are risks and if you want to consider elite, Burrow had the highest rated OL and WR corps, one a Biletnikoff winner, in the FBS this past season. Is he going to have that in CIN?

Some here want one but point him out to the rest of us. And if you're wrong and they let the one they have walk, where are they then?

That's the challenge. Few want to pay Prescott in the top 3 in the NFL but what are the options? That's why I want to tag him for at least this season and see how all of this plays out with a new HC and O system. And I am not assuming he's not going to be better and we'll be happy to pay him in the top 3. When there are variables, best to hold off on a decision and buy time.

All of this is confounded by the fact they've got so much tied up in other players that are not playing up to their pay. It will not take much to absorb that cap space. And with the history of this FO, it's not what they pay it's who they pay. I do not see a correlation between pay and play but I'll be damned if I can figure out why every time they give a player a new contract, he falls off. It would support the argument that the most a team will get out of a player is when he's playing for that contract. Well, let's test that theory with the QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You take the average QB and I’ll take the Elite QB and we’ll see who has a better 10-15 year run.
That's silly and not the point. You take a 2nd Tier DT and give me Donald and let's check that out.

And since you'll take the elite QB, name him please. And, just how you are going to get him?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

There’s always exceptions to the rule. Not having an Elite QB doesn't eliminate you. Just makes it tougher. And I’d argue that SF and Tenn QB make some big passes. Elite looking passes. That’s the key playing at a high level in big games.

The QB isn’t always the reason you lose but sometimes they need to be why you win.

And without those Elite QB’s they’d be much less competitive. I have no problem with being dependent on them.

Clemson has remained on top because they’ve had Elite QB’s. Monday night they got beat by a more Elite QB.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I'd argue it's just as difficult to find an "elite" QB than to build an elite defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's silly and not the point. You take a 2nd Tier DT and give me Donald and let's check that out.

And since you'll take the elite QB, name him please. And, just how you are going to get him?
That’s ultimately the challenge . And why teams often mortgage themselves to land the next super star. In the draft is best place to look.

Not everyone is going to have one. Our history would definitely support our chances increase when we had one. And why I’m always campaigning for it.

It makes the road tougher to stay on top without it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s always exceptions to the rule. Not having an Elite QB doesn't eliminate you. Just makes it tougher. And I’d argue that SF and Tenn QB make some big passes. Elite looking passes. That’s the key playing at a high level in big games.

The QB isn’t always the reason you lose but sometimes they need to be why you win.

And without those Elite QB’s they’d be much less competitive. I have no problem with being dependent on them.

Clemson has remained on top because they’ve had Elite QB’s. Monday night they got beat by a more Elite QB.
Are you implying that Prescott hasn't made some big passes?

LMAO, Clemson got beat by a better team.

starfan1

Reaction score

El torro poo poo. Clemson has been on top because they have the best athletes at all positions come to their program with the best system\ and best coaches. Its why The SEC is the best conference Alabama the best program. The hurricanes of the 90's nebraska and oklahoma of the 70's and 80's USC has had their runs. Now in some cases the QB's have been a common denominator but none of the programs sustained excellence with just a QB they had ballers across the board and some had just average QB's

Talent and scheme and coaching working together is what wins

Big_D

Reaction score
I'd argue it's just as difficult to find an "elite" QB than to build an elite defense.

Nevermind develop that elite QB. That seems to get lost in this 'debate'. Name every elite QB in the NFL like their respective coaches had nothing to do with it. Those guys are just lucky! Right place at the right time. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s ultimately the challenge . And why teams often mortgage themselves to land the next super star. In the draft is best place to look.

Not everyone is going to have one. Our history would definitely support our chances increase when we had one. And why I’m always campaigning for it.

It makes the road tougher to stay on top without it.
I noticed you neglected to name him or how to go about getting him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I noticed you neglected to name him or how to go about getting him.
I told you the best place is in the draft.

It’s not my job as a fan to find one. If I listed potential prospects you’d just offer your opinions to dissect them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see a very talented Cowboy offense less a very talented QB.

I can’t help but want similar talent level at the most important position.

I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is sad that we once again have to state this because we have always had a zero-tolerance policy toward it, but just so there are no questions or surprises later ..

CowboysZone does not allow racism on this site. This includes racist comments, racist accusations and race baiting as well as innuendo and reference comments and/or implications.

We would hate to see anyone get benched or permanently banned for a stupid comment made out of frustration whether initiated or as a reaction to someone else's comments.

To be clear, it does not matter which side you are on!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I told you the best place is in the draft.

It’s not my job as a fan to find one. If I listed potential prospects you’d just offer your opinions to dissect them.
Oh, just complain because they don't have one?

The point is it is difficult to identify a NFL elite QB prospect and to develop him. The majority of teams are not going to get one and if they do, they might squander him just as the Chargers have done with Rivers. Talent wise, he's as good as any in the game and his accuracy and touch only equaled by Rodgers but they leaned on him too hard.

And there is a difference between passer and QB. Marino was one of the best passers in NFL history and considered elite.