The Elite QB Farce

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was surrounded with a great offense for most of 4 years. If you’re happy with that then you’ll find every reason to defend it.

I want more and willing to risk whatever this is for it. Which at the moment is a non playoff team.

Tag Dak if you must but please draft a QB in first round so we have options. Worse case scenario we have an improved backup or even trade bait in coming years.

For once this frikin era use a top pick for a damn QB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, just complain because they don't have one?

The point is it is difficult to identify a NFL elite QB prospect and to develop him. The majority of teams are not going to get one and if they do, they might squander him just as the Chargers have done with Rivers. Talent wise, he's as good as any in the game and his accuracy and touch only equaled by Rodgers but they leaned on him too hard.

And there is a difference between passer and QB. Marino was one of the best passers in NFL history and considered elite.
Of course. That’s what fans do. We complain if we don’t have the team we want. I’m not here to offer my support for some under achieving kids because they’re on my team. That’s what parents do. Lol

Coach , we haven’t even tried to draft an Elite QB.

We’ve lucked out twice . One with walk on we cut 2 or 3 times and a mid round pick chosen to be a solid backup. Jerry frikin latches on to the first glimpse of glitter he sees like a kid reaching puberty who’s never seen skin before. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course. That’s what fans do. We complain if we don’t have the team we want. I’m not here to offer my support for some under achieving kids because they’re on my team. That’s what parents do. Lol

Coach , we haven’t even tried to draft an Elite QB.

We’ve lucked out twice . One with walk on we cut 2 or 3 times and a mid round pick chosen to be a solid backup. Jerry frikin latches on to the first glimpse of glitter he sees like a kid who’s never seen skin before. Lol
No argument there at all, they've lucked out on the last two and the first one Booger had was a no brainer, just like Burrow for CIN in this draft.

In order to draft one considered elite and there are only 2 in this draft and one has some doubts, they would have to give up the draft this year and maybe part of next year's because the draft collateral some are willing to give up for this QB is going to be high. But, he's not for trade. Brown is not stupid enough to pass on the best prospect since Luck with an angry fandom expecting Joe, their native Ohioan.

So, the next best thing is to take a chance on Eason or Fromm or Love if they fall but they're not considered elite in this draft.

The other shoe in this draft is what are the teams with Brady, Brees and Rivers going to do about a QB? Even DET at 3 is a risk to take one. MIA at 5 for sure and probably LAR at 7 and maybe CAR at 8. At 17, the Cowboys will need luck because the top 5 QB's, at the minimum, will be gone. They trade up and they're giving up badly needed picks for that D and what if they decide to let Cooper and/or Jones walk?

keysersoze

Reaction score
He was surrounded with a great offense for most of 4 years. If you’re happy with that then you’ll find every reason to defend it.

I want more and willing to risk whatever this is for it. Which at the moment is a non playoff team.

Tag Dak if you must but please draft a QB in first round so we have options. Worse case scenario we have an improved backup or even trade bait in coming years.

For once this frikin era use a top pick for a damn QB.
Question!!!!! Were you willing to risk replacing Romo too? Or are the risks only Dak related?

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'm not asking him to take less that what he's worth

Just because other QB contracts are escalating doesn't mean Dak's should simply because he became a FA at "the right time".

Pay should be based on talent. Not timing
As simply as I can say it, Dak's not worth anywhere near what he's asking.

Im sorry, but that’s just incorrect

timing is critical. Players and teams use timing all the time to increase their leverage over the other party.

The franchise tag allows teams to delay signing a “real” contract until the timing is right or avoid it overall (Hello Commanders/Cousins)

players hold out of camp attempting to leverage the start of the season in an effort to make a team sign them (hello Emmitt, Zeke)

there are endless examples

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Im sorry, but that’s just incorrect

timing is critical. Players and teams use timing all the time to increase their leverage over the other party.

The franchise tag allows teams to delay signing a “real” contract until the timing is right or avoid it overall (Hello Commanders/Cousins)

players hold out of camp attempting to leverage the start of the season in an effort to make a team sign them (hello Emmitt, Zeke)

there are endless examples

There's no need to apologize you just have a difference of opinion that's all. Just so happens your opinion is wrong

It's a free country

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Question!!!!! Were you willing to risk replacing Romo too? Or are the risks only Dak related?
I wanted more than Romo too. I’m
Not sure why we should settle for less as fans?

That doesn’t mean for 60 Minutes each game we aren’t rooting them on.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There's no need to apologize you just have a difference of opinion that's all. Just so happens your opinion is wrong

It's a free country
Lol

Just because other QB contracts are escalating doesn't mean Dak's should simply because he became a FA at "the right time".

Keep telling yourself this.

What color is the sky in your world because it’s clearly another planet

starfan1

Reaction score

Getting an elite QB generally comes from picking in top 5 the cowboys have only picked there once in 10 years and they picked Elliott or trading up and you see how well that turns out such as case with Mo Claiborne

or you get lucky they just don’t grow on trees

keysersoze

Reaction score
If I was a owner I would not overpay for a QB...it hurts the team

Unless I had a hall of fame QB
But how would you know you had a Hall Of Fame Quarterback beforehand? Unless he won a couple Super Bowls during his rookie contract.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Getting an elite QB generally comes from picking in top 5 the cowboys have only picked there once in 10 years and they picked Elliott or trading up and you see how well that turns out such as case with Mo Claiborne

Yessir!!!!

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Lol

Keep telling yourself this.

What color is the sky in your world because it’s clearly another planet

So, if I understand you correctly, the only reason the quarterback should get paid big money as if he becomes a free agent at the right time. Talent has little if anything to do with it. Its "market value". Just smile and nod, and accuse anybody who doesn't agree with you of being from a different planet

I checked all the boxes, can I be part of the mob also? :laugh:

cern

Reaction score

It's not a matter of settling. It's that given the scarcity of nonpareil qb's, and the fact every team is looking for one, make it extremely difficult to procure their services. Supply and demand to the nth degree.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So, if I understand you correctly, the only reason the quarterback should get paid big money as if he becomes a free agent at the right time. Talent has little if anything to do with it. Its "market value". Just smile and nod, and accuse anybody who doesn't agree with you of being from a different planet

I checked all the boxes, can I be part of the mob also? :laugh:

Who said talent is irrelevant? Not me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

You can trade up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen so much of that here. "Got to have an elite QB" and "can't get it done without that elite QB".

The only thing I agree with is that the Cowboys do not have an elite QB and he probably won't ever be considered that.

Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Watson all have been mentioned with as that old guard elite or the new guard. Mahomes is in that group and along with Rodgers, the only ones left in the playoffs and is Rodgers there because he's played elite this season or is it the RB and DE's? And the fact that Brees, Rodgers and Wilson only have one ring doesn't seem to matter.

Did you catch Brees, Jackson, Wilson and Watson trying to lift their teams? Or did you catch Tannehill in his last two playoff games with <200 yards? Which is it better to have? The QB to lift the team or the team to support the QB? Ask Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson and Watson.

This is not about Prescott, it is about every team has to build around the QB and Brees, Rodgers and Wilson are proof. Elway was elite and he wouldn't have any rings if not for a HC and RB and an offensive philosophical change..

Roger and Troy had to have teams around them, same with Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and Brady wasn't that bad this season, the team around him wasn't the usual standard.

It's one thing we've seen, different kinds of teams can do it different ways, there isn't just one template. Get that elite QB and ride the wave. This isn't baseball when they can ride a pitcher or two.

I do not think if the Cowboys had any of those elite QB's this season, it would have been much different.

Fans/media rarely recognize an elite QB before they become elite unless the player was a top 2 draft pick and expected to be great.

Did fans/media predict greatness for:
Brady: No.
Brees: No
Wilson: No
Rodgers: No

There were more fans/media that thought Ryan Leaf would be great than fans/media that thought the players above would be great.

I will not be surprised if Dak ends up being better over his career than Jackson & Watson.

Big_D

Reaction score
Fans/media rarely recognize an elite QB before they become elite unless the player was a top 2 draft pick and expected to be great.

Did fans/media predict greatness for:
Brady: No.
Brees: No
Wilson: No
Rodgers: No

There were more fans/media that thought Ryan Leaf would be great than fans/media that thought the players above would be great.

I will not be surprised if Dak ends up being better over his career than Jackson & Watson.

Calling QBs elite is very easily done around here after the fact.