The Elite QB Farce

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really lost most games by a very small margin. I'm guessing some better game preparation and game time decisions would have given a few more wins. I disagree with the notion Prescott needs to go and we need to gamble a draft pick to maybe find a better QB. The kid came right in from day one and performed. His numbers are impressive. Not perfect by any means, but some suggest we need an elite QB. Aikman may have said you can't fix accuracy, but we clearly saw an improvement last season. He had a couple bad games, but it's a team and the team was not holding up it's end. And then the shoulder thing....He's not getting tagged. They're all in and fans should spend more time complaining about how awful the special teams was or how inconsistent the defense was.
This is what it boils down to and I don't think some that want to go for the gold in the draft want to accept it. Sometimes, we have to settle for very good and not go for great because we could end up with poor.

The "devil you know" applies to this situation and this HC has watched a lot of film on this QB to see his reactions to situations. Joe Burrow had a year unlike any QB has ever had yet there are no guarantees that he will not struggle in the NFL, at least his first couple of seasons. Tua won't even play this full season and Herbert and the others have ?'s.

The other thing that some seem to just skim over is that the Cowboys are not in a position to take any of the top 3 ranked QB's without giving up a lot when they need to address that D.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d rather have an elite defense and running game along with an average to above average QB play. Only thing is, the QB we have wants 35mil/year.
...and he's gonna get at least that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because it is the most discussed and run into the ground. While I didn't want him injured, I was happier on the old forum trashing Cassel and Weeden than more Romo discussion.

This isn't really about Dak as much as it is about the concept of the elite QB being a necessity to success. But, no way a discussion about that position isn't going to turn into a discussion about him.

And this does give me pause to think what this would have been like with Meredith and White to discuss. We could devote an entire forum just to Danny White's eyes and get Kim Carnes to parody the song for us.
Bottomline is any QB is going to be called out and questioned until they win a championship.

And your right Dandy, Danny and evening Craig would have all been fair game in a forum like this. Even Landry. And we’d had Homers besides themselves defending .

What concerns me the most on the side of defenders is this belief and support mechanism that is attached with some fans. Much like an actor or musician in which fans become so infatuated with a player or QB they defend them at every turn.

Once you believe in something theres really nothing that can sway your opinion and anything negative comes off as an attack.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what it boils down to and I don't think some that want to go for the gold in the draft want to accept it. Sometimes, we have to settle for very good and not go for great because we could end up with poor.

The "devil you know" applies to this situation and this HC has watched a lot of film on this QB to see his reactions to situations. Joe Burrow had a year unlike any QB has ever had yet there are no guarantees that he will not struggle in the NFL, at least his first couple of seasons. Tua won't even play this full season and Herbert and the others have ?'s.

The other thing that some seem to just skim over is that the Cowboys are not in a position to take any of the top 3 ranked QB's without giving up a lot when they need to address that D.
This offense is built for success now and why Dak has had this much success. If he’d had gone to teams where most top drafted QB’s go he’d already be out of the league.

We bring in a more talented passer we’d likely see instant improvements. Much more than they’d have going to Cinn or Miami for example.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Major factor? I think this is an unrealistic suggestion.
I’m not a bit surprised.

I can only guess you were impressed with Daks performance in Egirls game and don’t feel it had any effect in our loss and missing the playoffs?

You’re certainly entitled to such opinion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of us have the experience to compare. That’s silly. At least you admit you’ve hopped on Mikes big wagon. Lol

If I knew how to photo shop I’d make a pic with Couch Coach waving a homer flag on Mikes big wagon. Ha

No wonder you were so upset last week calling out my fandom . You are All In with this guy .

I’ll wait for the results to come in. Thanks
In proceeding further into this process, the first thing I had to decide was am I in or out with this HC. And it's not a homer flag but I can see that's how you would approach it from that posture. You defended your Garrett homer flag for years. And that's fine.

You will second guess everything and bring it all back around to blaming Booger; whereas, I will give the old coot some room to accept what he's done is not working and another approach is needed.

Was this the right hire? I have no idea but I do know that he knows more about the game and offense and QB's than I ever will so with the lack of knowledge, I have the tendency to listen to people with it. And my belief and confidence in the man will shape my opinions going forward.

I looked at all of the names in circulation: McCarthy, Rivera, McDaniels, Stefanski, Saleh, Meyer, Riley and Rhule and asked myself "which of these men do I think has the best chance to turn this into the wind and sail it home"? There were only two, the first two, because they'd been there and done that and they were both fired with a little something extra to prove.

So, when approaching this, I will not be second guessing the man with his butt on the line but will ask myself "what don't I know"? We've already got posters calling out mistakes solely because they didn't agree with it. Or making the assumption he kept Moore because Booger made him.

At least, I make a decision and don't hang back in safe land so I can come running in with "see, told ya so", if it goes south. If it goes south, I will accept that and get ready to discuss the next HC candidates. Everything is temporary.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bottomline is any QB is going to be called out and questioned until they win a championship or a freak like Mahomes.

And your right Dandy, Dandy and evening Craig would have all been fair game in a forum like this. Even Landry. And we’d had Homers besides themselves defending .

What concerns me the most on the side of defenders is this belief and support mechanism that is attached with some fans. Much like an actor or musician in which fans become so infatuated with a player or QB they defend them at every turn.

Once you believe in something theres really nothing that can sway your opinion and anything negative comes off as an attack.
I’m not a bit surprised.

I can only guess you were impressed with Daks performance in Egirls game and don’t feel it had any effect in our loss and missing the playoffs?

That's your "go to." The Eagles game. Every argument, you bring that up. It never ceases to amaze me. This is what I already brought up. It's all on Prescott, but conveniently the defense is never mentioned, an entire unit. Or the fact that Prescott didn't practice all week and was injured. 265 yards is enough. No mention of Elliott running for only 47 yards though.
The agenda is obvious.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not a bit surprised.

Why cite one game? Couldn't you do that with Aikman or Staubach as well?

How about you cite that loss we had against GB in his rookie season when the D put the team in a 21-3 hole and he began to fill that hole in?

You don't like Prescott as the QB1, that's evident, you have quite a bit of company but to use that as your example is hardly fair. Is he perfect? No Is he elite? No Is he hot garbage? No He's a good QB ranking somewhere in the 8-12 range but he had the #1 O in the league last season. Most of all, he's not the reason they haven't advanced further.

Reactions: G2

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In proceeding further into this process, the first thing I had to decide was am I in or out with this HC. And it's not a homer flag but I can see that's how you would approach it from that posture. You defended your Garrett homer flag for years. And that's fine.

You will second guess everything and bring it all back around to blaming Booger; whereas, I will give the old coot some room to accept what he's done is not working and another approach is needed.

Was this the right hire? I have no idea but I do know that he knows more about the game and offense and QB's than I ever will so with the lack of knowledge, I have the tendency to listen to people with it. And my belief and confidence in the man will shape my opinions going forward.

I looked at all of the names in circulation: McCarthy, Rivera, McDaniels, Stefanski, Saleh, Meyer, Riley and Rhule and asked myself "which of these men do I think has the best chance to turn this into the wind and sail it home"? There were only two, the first two, because they'd been there and done that and they were both fired with a little something extra to prove.

So, when approaching this, I will not be second guessing the man with his butt on the line but will ask myself "what don't I know"? We've already got posters calling out mistakes solely because they didn't agree with it. Or making the assumption he kept Moore because Booger made him.

At least, I make a decision and don't hang back in safe land so I can come running in with "see, told ya so", if it goes south. If it goes south, I will accept that and get ready to discuss the next HC candidates. Everything is temporary.
I’d agree Jerry dictated retaining Moore. Jerry isn’t going away and will insert himself as he sees fit.

Fans are so desperate to believe in something.

I’m ok with the Mike hire. And pleased Jerry appears to have ventured past his comfortable and puppet variety.

But the biggest obstacle is still there. The same one who detoured the last solid coaching hire in Bill.

I’ll leave my caution light on while rooting for more success cause that’s how I roll.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's your "go to." The Eagles game. Every argument, you bring that up. It never ceases to amaze me. This is what I already brought up. It's all on Prescott, but conveniently the defense is never mentioned, an entire unit. Or the fact that Prescott didn't practice all week and was injured. 265 yards is enough. No mention of Elliott running for only 47 yards though.
The agenda is obvious.
More excuses. Dak is the most glaring weaknesses of talent level on offense IMO of the key positions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
More excuses. Dak is the most glaring weaknesses of talent level on offense IMO of the key positions.
Wrong. They're not excuses. They're factual occurrences you refuse to factor in. They actually happened, has nothing to do with opinion.

starfan1

Reaction score
The agenda is obvious.
I don't mind the constant bashing its their perrogative but its every thread and even threads that isn't Dak threads they find ways to make it Dak threads. Oh my bad it isn't bashing its "campaigning". Now i could probably save myself some laughs by not clicking and participating

But if their only contribution to the site is to bash on dak because they think hes average or they hate him or he dethroned the last QB and they dont like him. Whatever the case is. They need to have another zone in here they can call it the bash zone lol.

Reactions: G2

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why cite one game? Couldn't you do that with Aikman or Staubach as well?

How about you cite that loss we had against GB in his rookie season when the D put the team in a 21-3 hole and he began to fill that hole in?

You don't like Prescott as the QB1, that's evident, you have quite a bit of company but to use that as your example is hardly fair. Is he perfect? No Is he elite? No Is he hot garbage? No He's a good QB ranking somewhere in the 8-12 range but he had the #1 O in the league last season. Most of all, he's not the reason they haven't advanced further.
Because I actually see our defense as more of the culprit in that loss and the amazing performance with Rodgers.

We had the #1 offense and top 10 defense and it wasn’t enough. How much more does this QB need? Oh I know. Big Mike will be the difference. Lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't mind the constant bashing its their perrogative but its every thread and even threads that isn't Dak threads they find ways to make it Dak threads. Oh my bad it isn't bashing its "campaigning". Now i could probably save myself some laughs by not clicking and participating

But if their only contribution to the site is to bash on dak because they think hes average or they hate him or he dethroned the last QB and they dont like him. Whatever the case is. They need to have another zone in here they can call it the bash zone lol.
Yeah, especially when you bash Prescott but defend Garrett to the death, lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d agree Jerry dictated retaining Moore. Jerry isn’t going away and will insert himself as he sees fit.

Fans are so desperate to believe in something.

I’m ok with the Mike hire. And pleased Jerry appears to have ventured past his comfortable and puppet variety.

But the biggest obstacle is still there. The same one who detoured the last solid coaching hire in Bill.

I’ll leave my caution light on while rooting for more success cause that’s how I roll.
Of course you would because you are Booger obsessed, it drives everything with you.

The fact that there were no other dictates, that's not worth considering? The fact that Prescott did improve under Moore's tutelage and Big Mike watched a lot of film on both Moore and Prescott before he interviewed. I don't know but I think he liked what he saw of Moore but the deciding factor was not Big Mike but Moore himself. By turning down the Huskies OC job and a pretty good line up the coaching ranks in college ball, he showed his intent. I think Big Mike sees the same things in Moore as others like Peterson, Gruden and Linehan have seen in him. He's got a mind for the game and we don't even know what he's going to be doing in this new offense.

Ya know Greg, considering Booger, there might just be a pony beneath all of that horse****.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They are excuses in his performance based on factual data.
Wrong again. Excuses are attempts in lessening the blame. I'm not doing that. Prescott was injured, didn't play amazing but did enough. Bringing up facts with regard to a TEAM sport is not the same. Conveniently leaving out the other 52 players is disingenuous.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I defended Garrett cause I didn’t believe there better options Jerry would allow.

And it might be the same with Dak. I haven’t accepted that fact yet cause he’s not under contract.

starfan1

Reaction score
Ive missed alot of that only Dre is the one who has that Ive seen do that but your right. Yes players have to perform but if we cant see by now how inept garrett was for this team along with the GM were blind. And since the GM change isnt happening Im so glad garrett is gone. We got closer to the SB the day he was let go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wrong again. Excuses are attempts in lessening the blame. I'm not doing that. Prescott was injured, didn't play amazing but did enough. Bringing up facts with regard to a TEAM sport is not the same. Conveniently leaving out the other 52 players is disingenuous.
I totally disagree with his performance. I didn’t think he did enough to beat Egirls.