The Elite QB Farce

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is a very valid point. Many of the same people bashing Jerry for a litany of decisions he has made are the first ones who have his back because he supports Dak

Like this is the one magical time Jerry is somehow going to get it right By setting the market with a massive contract LOL
Jerry appears All In on Dak. Determined to prove he made the right decision booting Romo and found a gem in the 4th round to finally lead Cowboys back to a Super Bowl.

Dak won many Cowboys fans heart over in his Rookie season and are still riding that wave. Jerry loves the public support and is often a barometer which way he sways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is depending on the individual.
Your right. Dak is too sensitive a subject for the type of criticism we often have on other aspects of Cowboys Football. Much like we had with Romo.

Any idea why the QB position is so sensitive for discussion?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It always amazes me how many fans want to align themselves with status quo of this franchise with the results , decisions and direction we’ve had this era.
Not so fast there, my friend. Posters are not aligning themselves with results, they might just not agree with your view of changing the status quo.

If this HC decides he can make it happen with this QB, who are we to question that unless some think he's the wrong man for the job? I will ride with his decision of the QB.

I look at this new HC and I see a guy that doesn't just want to win, he has to win. He spent the entire off season in turmoil. Oh, he can talk about hanging with the family and taking the kids to school but on the way home on a Monday, after a GB win, he was churning inside and thinking of the day he would begin his comeback. With a man like this, with this much at stake and so QB dependent to make his O go, yep, I'll ride with him.

The Cowboys have never hired a HC with this baggage. Not even Wade, who defended himself with the his regular season record, had this baggage to handle. I think the Boys and Skins made the right decisions hiring HC's stinging from a firing, but this HC is watching the team he's one year removed from with a 14-3 record in the NFCCG. That's not a sting, that's a wound. The Cowboys are going to get the best this man has to offer, which is all any man can do.

What you want is diametrically opposed to what I want. You're talking about the future, to me that is now, this season and I feel this QB gives me the best chance over any rookie, including Burrow. I am more about that CB and WR than the QB.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It is if you want to reach the next level. If this is Daks performance at a high level. I’m not impressed and the results haven’t taken us where our ultimate goals are.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions and if we are content where we are then I can see accepting status quo.
You are also free to keep repeating the same exact phrases over and over. No one needs a lesson from you. You bring excellent points at times, but you also never waiver. It's ok to be wrong.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your right. Dak is too sensitive a subject for the type of criticism we often have on other aspects of Cowboys Football. Much like we had with Romo.

Because it is the most discussed and run into the ground. While I didn't want him injured, I was happier on the old forum trashing Cassel and Weeden than more Romo discussion.

This isn't really about Dak as much as it is about the concept of the elite QB being a necessity to success. But, no way a discussion about that position isn't going to turn into a discussion about him.

And this does give me pause to think what this would have been like with Meredith and White to discuss. We could devote an entire forum just to Danny White's eyes and get Kim Carnes to parody the song for us.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yes.

1. Polarization.
2. Fans who are less knowedgeable want to blame the QB for everything.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I think you're not in full possession of the facts. Are you suggesting I don't criticize Prescott? Any others specifically? Because that's a real foolish assumption. Some people hear/remember what they find convenient to bloat their agenda.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not so fast there, my friend. Posters are not aligning themselves with results, they might just not agree with your view of changing the status quo.

If this HC decides he can make it happen with this QB, who are we to question that unless some think he's the wrong man for the job? I will ride with his decision of the QB.

I look at this new HC and I see a guy that doesn't just want to win, he has to win. He spent the entire off season in turmoil. Oh, he can talk about hanging with the family and taking the kids to school but on the way home on a Monday, after a GB win, he was churning inside and thinking of the day he would begin his comeback. With a man like this, with this much at stake and so QB dependent to make his O go, yep, I'll ride with him.

The Cowboys have never hired a HC with this baggage. Not even Wade, who defended himself with the his regular season record, had this baggage to handle. I think the Boys and Skins made the right decisions hiring HC's stinging from a firing, but this HC is watching the team he's one year removed from with a 14-3 record in the NFCCG. That's not a sting, that's a wound. The Cowboys are going to get the best this man has to offer, which is all any man can do.

What you want is diametrically opposed to what I want. You're talking about the future, to me that is now, this season and I feel this QB gives me the best chance over any rookie, including Burrow. I am more about that CB and WR than the QB.
You’ve hopped on Mikes wagon. And that’s fine. But don’t expect everyone to. The fact he might think Dak is the guy is enough for me to question him.

I’ll wait and let the results speak for themselves. Until then I have a big red caution sign at the door.

cowboygo

Reaction score
This is the critical part. I do not recall a team with a new HC having the QB, WR1 and CB1 all up at the same time. There are some other considerations like the FA DE and WR but this is new territory.

Let's all go back to the one thing we seem to be able to agree on, the coaching was a drawback to the advancement of this team. While I do not agree about the talent level of this team, I completely agree that they should have won the East and should have beaten SEA. GB? That's another game.

If this is true, then with a 90% coaching change, doesn't it stand to reason that too many changes can actually put us back, not take us forward.

The HC has said the QB in place was one of the lures that caught him. What he stopped short of saying was the team underperformed because that's taking a shot at the guy going out the door. He knew this was the job to have and he believes this QB can run his offense. And do not underestimate the fact he has identified a QB with a team ego, not the ones he had to deal with in GB.

The bottom line for me is easy. There were two HC's I wanted and they got one of them. I am good with his decisions, particularly at QB, because he knows a hell of a lot more than I do and his butt is on the line and he's not just looking to win, he's looking for redemption.

I believe what won the Joneses over was his desire to build around this QB. They like him, and not only for his play on the field, they genuinely like the way he handles being the player in the most polarizing position in all sports. The previous QB had to learn how to handle that, this one came ready to do that. Roger and Troy don't have to endorse him, they don't have to say anything but both take the opportunity to sing his praises. Troy was the one with the "accuracy can't be changed" position and he is solidly in Prescott's camp he thinks Dak is on the edge of elite, if not there.
Yup. Now I hope coaching can make up for positional depth we will be lacking if we do retain QB, WR1 and CB1 with RB1 being paid a lot. We had positional depth and injury luck last year, but had terrible ST, terrible field position and a defense allergic to turnovers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes.

1. Polarization.
2. Fans who are less knowedgeable want to blame the QB for everything.
Yes but that’s only half of the issue.

Why does the other side go to such extremes taking the criticism so personal if they see the criticism is coming from more casual type fans?

I can’t help but think the criticism hits home because it calls out the concerns they have but their belief and support in their QB is stronger than any other position.

All fans get too attached to their QB. Even knowledgeable fans.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is the critical part. I do not recall a team with a new HC having the QB, WR1 and CB1 all up at the same time. There are some other considerations like the FA DE and WR but this is new territory.

Let's all go back to the one thing we seem to be able to agree on, the coaching was a drawback to the advancement of this team. While I do not agree about the talent level of this team, I completely agree that they should have won the East and should have beaten SEA. GB? That's another game.

If this is true, then with a 90% coaching change, doesn't it stand to reason that too many changes can actually put us back, not take us forward.

The HC has said the QB in place was one of the lures that caught him. What he stopped short of saying was the team underperformed because that's taking a shot at the guy going out the door. He knew this was the job to have and he believes this QB can run his offense. And do not underestimate the fact he has identified a QB with a team ego, not the ones he had to deal with in GB.

The bottom line for me is easy. There were two HC's I wanted and they got one of them. I am good with his decisions, particularly at QB, because he knows a hell of a lot more than I do and his butt is on the line and he's not just looking to win, he's looking for redemption.

I believe what won the Joneses over was his desire to build around this QB. They like him, and not only for his play on the field, they genuinely like the way he handles being the player in the most polarizing position in all sports. The previous QB had to learn how to handle that, this one came ready to do that. Roger and Troy don't have to endorse him, they don't have to say anything but both take the opportunity to sing his praises. Troy was the one with the "accuracy can't be changed" position and he is solidly in Prescott's camp he thinks Dak is on the edge of elite, if not there.
We really lost most games by a very small margin. I'm guessing some better game preparation and game time decisions would have given a few more wins. I disagree with the notion Prescott needs to go and we need to gamble a draft pick to maybe find a better QB. The kid came right in from day one and performed. His numbers are impressive. Not perfect by any means, but some suggest we need an elite QB. Aikman may have said you can't fix accuracy, but we clearly saw an improvement last season. He had a couple bad games, but it's a team and the team was not holding up it's end. And then the shoulder thing....He's not getting tagged. They're all in and fans should spend more time complaining about how awful the special teams was or how inconsistent the defense was.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

It's not. Sensitive isn't the word I would describe it. You're inserting it to paint the picture fans can't discuss differences. That's incorrect. Perhaps YOU cannot, but I've had copious conversations, debates and disagreements and still walked away feeling it was a constructive convo. The QB is blown up. Some fans actually expect them to be all world, but refuse to address the other 52 players. Every position matters. If you're more willing to replace a very good QB who has never missed a game, put up solid numbers and performances, always raising the bar, good leader over the number of important positions that are truly hot garbage than I find that shortsighted. It's simply unrealistic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We really lost most games by a very small margin. I'm guessing some better game preparation and game time decisions would have given a few more wins. I disagree with the notion Prescott needs to go and we need to gamble a draft pick to maybe find a better QB. The kid came right in from day one and performed. His numbers are impressive. Not perfect by any means, but some suggest we need an elite QB. Aikman may have said you can't fix accuracy, but we clearly saw an improvement last season. He had a couple bad games, but it's a team and the team was not holding up it's end. And then the shoulder thing....He's not getting tagged. They're all in and fans should spend more time complaining about how awful the special teams was or how inconsistent the defense was.
Why ? Because that’s how you feel we should be??

I see many of our other issues. And yes there were many close games. But in the one game that decided our post season Daks performance was a major contributing factor in our loss.

That’s worth pointing out. It might not be what you want to focus on but it’s a legitimate concern. And would a more Elite passing QB make a difference is a valid discussion.

This thread is about the effects of an Elite QB which IMO makes it a valid arguing point in such thread.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’ve hopped on Mikes wagon. And that’s fine. But don’t expect everyone to. The fact he might think Dak is the guy is enough for me to question him.

I’ll wait and let the results speak for themselves. Until then I have a big red caution sign at the door.
Well Greg, and don't take this the wrong way, but how much were you around Montana, Favre and Rodgers? I think the man probably knows more about what constitutes elitism in a GB than both of us. And I don't think you've got as much riding on this as he does.

And yes, I am at the Big Mike Buffet because I wanted him or Rivera. So, until he proves me wrong, I am right. And I fully expect at the first sign of trouble for you to come in and tell us about the red caution sign at your door, they're yellow btw. Red is for stop. But I'd bet you could muster a good argument with the traffic cop that pulled you over.

I do not expect anyone or everyone to agree with me. I state my opinions and have no problem with changing any of them or admitting I got it wrong. Being wrong led to a successful marriage of 42 years and the understanding of the difference between a battle and the war.

Reactions: G2

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not. Sensitive isn't the word I would describe it. You're inserting it to paint the picture fans can't discuss differences. That's incorrect. Perhaps YOU cannot, but I've had copious conversations, debates and disagreements and still walked away feeling it was a constructive convo. The QB is blown up. Some fans actually expect them to be all world, but refuse to address the other 52 players. Every position matters. If you're more willing to replace a very good QB who has never missed a game, put up solid numbers and performances, always raising the bar, good leader over the number of important positions that are truly hot garbage than I find that shortsighted. It's simply unrealistic.
If the results were better then it would lessen the argument. Missing the playoffs when the QB performance was an obvious contributing factor is a realistic discussion much as was Romo’s lack of having bigger performances in Play In games.

IMO Dak choked in the Egirls game. Horrid performance. We must have better from our QB in these big games if we expect to make the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well Greg, and don't take this the wrong way, but how much were you around Montana, Favre and Rodgers? I think the man probably knows more about what constitutes elitism in a GB than both of us. And I don't think you've got as much riding on this as he does.

And yes, I am at the Big Mike Buffet because I wanted him or Rivera. So, until he proves me wrong, I am right. And I fully expect at the first sign of trouble for you to come in and tell us about the red caution sign at your door, they're yellow btw. Red is for stop. But I'd bet you could muster a good argument with the traffic cop that pulled you over.

I do not expect anyone or everyone to agree with me. I state my opinions and have no problem with changing any of them or admitting I got it wrong. Being wrong led to a successful marriage of 42 years and the understanding of the difference between a battle and the war.
None of us have the experience to compare. That’s silly. At least you admit you’ve hopped on Mikes big wagon. Lol

If I knew how to photo shop I’d make a pic with Couch Coach waving a homer flag on Mikes big wagon. Ha

No wonder you were so upset last week calling out my fandom . You are All In with this guy .

I’ll wait for the results to come in. Thanks

johneric8

Reaction score
For the life of me I don't get all the debating in regards to our QB situation when it comes to the skills of Dak Prescott. Bottom line, is we aren't going to change each others mind on the subject so what is there to be gained?

Dak has shown he can play at an elite level whether those whom dislike him agree or not. The question now is, where will he go from here? I understand the argument on whether it's right to pay Dak or not the kind of money he is hinting at, but lets be real, if you draft a 1st round QB or sign someone like Cam Newton there are no guarantees with that either.

I understand how some of you are concerned that paying too much for Dak hinders the growth of the rest of the team because you think he isn't worth it, but I would like to point out that stepping up and paying Dak it's not just his skills or potential you're paying for, but also his durability and leadership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you're not in full possession of the facts. Are you suggesting I don't criticize Prescott? Any others specifically? Because that's a real foolish assumption. Some people hear/remember what they find convenient to bloat their agenda.
I was speaking generally on this forum. Not you specifically.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why ? Because that’s how you feel we should be??

I see many of our other issues. And yes there were many close games. But in the one game that decided our post season Daks performance was a major contributing factor in our loss.

That’s worth pointing out. It might not be what you want to focus on but it’s a legitimate concern. And would a more Elite passing QB make a difference is a valid discussion.

This thread is about the effects of an Elite QB which IMO makes it a valid arguing point in such thread.
Major factor? I think this is an unrealistic suggestion.