The end of Dak is coming

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~11 second video~ Babe Laufenberg's color analysis can be heard during the clip.

Weird. You feel 2007 and 2014 were contenders? What’s the difference between now 2007 ended and how 2023 ended?
Bold> In my opinion, the Dallas Cowboys' 2007 season ended with Patrick Crayton's idiotic stutter steps during the waning seconds of the NFC Divisional game--while the team's 2023 season was basically over at the end of the first quarter during the NFC Wild Card game.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I mean you can try and demean some of our fandom if you like. You can root for a team without trying to live vicariously through them. What a odd thing to say.

But at the end of the day you shouldn’t throw stones from a glass house. You post on a Cowboys site, talk Cowboys…watch Cowboys for a team that you have less interest in. Seems like you could be doing far more productive things.

I did not mean to demean anyone’s fandom. It’s how I view some people on the board. I evidently (had to check haha) average about 12 posts per month on average since I joined the forum 13 years ago. I doubt that will ever increase much, but I could see it decrease if I am disinterested even more.

I use the forum like everyone else-a way to toss thoughts out to fellow Cowboys and football fans and seek out stimulating discussion. Though everyone should recognize that it’s basically a way to kill time, I think a fair number of people think that their own perspective is much more important than it is. I think some also spend so much of their time here, that they cannot see that a significant portion of their lives are wrapped up in the lives of players on the team we cheer for on game day.

My OP was just a recognition of the basic reality of the lifespan of most every QB. They don’t play till they are 40. Most don’t make it to 35, and by then are showing significant wear and tear. The end is much closer than the beginning for Dak with the Cowboys. Many fans seem to feel like they want or need to see more of the Dak era to accomplish the longstanding desire of SB or even deep playoff run success.

I see a player and team that plateaued many years ago. They add and lose pieces, and the player/offense remain relatively similar against the best competition. A dynamic run game and defense would help any team’s chances at ultimate success, but people also have an unrealistic view on how easy it is to assemble a defense or offense that does not have significant weaknesses (or weak links).

The front office, players and coaches of this team play roles in the success and failure of any season. It is apparent that this player/team will never accomplish the shared postseason goals together (during the player’s playing career). I’m don’t feel despondent or disappointed saying that-it’s basic math at this point (and viewing the trajectory of the team over many seasons with the current QB). Since I have no say in the equation, I don’t feel any trepidation with how the potential extension plays out. An extension is more of the same from the organization, but it would shock me to see them move on. My interest level goes up with the shock value, but decreases with status quo.

That’s all I got on the subject-good day to you.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~11 second video~ Babe Laufenberg's color analysis can be heard during the clip.

Bold> In my opinion, the Dallas Cowboys' 2007 season ended with Patrick Crayton's idiotic stutter steps during the waning seconds of the NFC Divisional game--while the team's 2023 season was basically over at the end of the first quarter during the NFC Wild Card game.

But...I heard around here they are both equal chokers.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In addition, it’s not like anyone should expect his performance to improve with age. Most QB’s-even pocket passers (which Dak is not), start declining around his age and the next few years. Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning make fans believe that most QB’s can play well in their late 30’s and early 40’s. The problem is those QB’s were extremely proficient pocket passers and rollout passers their entire careers along with having hall of fame arm and/or position talent.
Tony was 34 in his best year in 2014. Dak is 31.

I think it's entirely possible that Dak keeps improving as his main remaining faults are exactly the kinds of things that generally improve with age - reading defenses and ball placement.

This last year he moved more smoothly than he had since the ankle injury. He's a big, strong QB. Built more like a LB than a QB.

But will he keep improving? This last season I already saw improvement with ball placement. I bet that continues.

It's the reading defenses thing that has always been a weakness, and I doubt he ever makes it over that hump. But he might. One thing I give Dak credit for is he has consistently worked and improved his game over the years.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean you can try and demean some of our fandom if you like. You can root for a team without trying to live vicariously through them. What a odd thing to say.

But at the end of the day you shouldn’t throw stones from a glass house. You post on a Cowboys site, talk Cowboys…watch Cowboys for a team that you have less interest in. Seems like you could be doing far more productive things.
There's a lot of demeaning going on...mostly from one particular faction.

Flamma

Reaction score
I misspoke I mean how was 2007 a serious contender but 2024 wasn’t?
Because we were the best team in the NFC going into the playoffs. That doesn't mean they always win. Plenty examples of that throughout the years. In 2007 Fans expected the Cowboys to get to the SB. That was the expectation going into the playoffs considering the competition.

Can you say that about any of the teams in the last 3 years? Detroit would worry me, let alone the 49ers.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Yes , the excuses are coming to an end . Dak has escaped real scrutiny due to the overall perception that the cowboys don’t win simply because Jerry and the FO cannot pick the right team . But Dak has not been able to make any impact in games that matter , wirh or without a running game . That says a lot of how limited he is .
Jerry Jones signed Dak and keeps him on the roster. “That says a lot” about what Jerry is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My OP was just a recognition of the basic reality of the lifespan of most every QB. They don’t play till they are 40. Most don’t make it to 35, and by then are showing significant wear and tear.
Gotta factor in the increased QB protection in the rules and improvements in surgical repair and longevity treatments.

QBs simply *should* last longer now than they have in the past. Less abuse, better repair and maintenance.

hail_science_futurama.gif

Blitzen

Reaction score
Gotta factor in the increased QB protection in the rules and improvements in surgical repair and longevity treatments.

QBs simply *should* last longer now than they have in the past. Less abuse, better repair and maintenance.

hail_science_futurama.gif

I work in the healthcare industry. We are much better at improving outcomes and quality of life. Modern medicine cannot produce all new cartilage, joints, and destroyed tissue. Human bodies are meant to wear down and athletes that play in this league have such immense physical demands they get worn down more quickly than others. There are only a handful of QB’s that play well that late in their career-and they are among the greatest QB’s to ever play in the league. Injuries are far more frequent for QB’s at this age and more likely to take longer to repair despite modern medicine.

Rule changes help QB’s avoid some of the nastiest hits, but getting tackled by a 22 year old that weighs 275 and runs a 4.5 forty yard dash and benches 400+ pounds can hurt anyone. Especially as they age.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Tony was 34 in his best year in 2014. Dak is 31.
Meh. Tony finally had an offensive line and a running game that exploited it for the first time since 2007. In many other years between them it was JJ’s “Tony doesn’t need an offensive line. Have you seen how he escapes pressure?” excuse or the like nonsense. Not to mention many bad defenses. QBs don’t get physically better as they get older. They either have it at that point or not. They also don’t start to handle pressure better either. At most, they might become more wise and less mistake prone, but they aren’t changing their natures after almost ten years in the league.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Meh. Tony finally had an offensive line and a running game that exploited it for the first time since 2007. In many other years between them it was JJ’s “Tony doesn’t need an offensive line. Have you seen how he escapes pressure?” excuse or the like nonsense. Not to mention many bad defenses. QBs don’t get physically better as they get older. They either have it at that point or not. They also don’t start to handle pressure better either. At most, they might become more wise and less mistake prone, but they aren’t changing their natures after almost ten years in the league.
Tony himself said the game completely slowed down for him mid 2013. He thought he got significantly better. His numbers in 2014 were the best of his career.

You're arguing with Tony and the reality of his stats.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I mean yeah the games were different but the outcomes were the same. They went into the post season and lost their first game to a team that barely even made the playoffs. Neither proved to be a contender.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The only equivalence between both playoff games is that both ended in losses. Anyone is not fairly assessing either game if they are claiming both games were equally competitive failures.
A loss is a loss. I don’t feel any better about losing to the Packers even if it was by one point. I’d still want guys fired.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
wow, the Romosexuals are out in force on this thread.

they are both chokers. the argument is who is the bigger choker.

the question is does it matter? unless you are into moral victories. who cares. 2-4 failed in playoffs. vs. 2-5 failed in playoffs.
The argument now is Romo looked better in his losses lol…like who does this lol.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Tony himself said the game completely slowed down for him mid 2013. He thought he got significantly better. His numbers in 2014 were the best of his career.

You're arguing with Tony and the reality of his stats.
Umm…no. It doesn’t just slow down for QBs in one year. That is a gradual process over a number of years usually with the first four to five years in it. If it hasn’t slowed down by then for QBs they aren’t lasting long in the league. Tony threw 36 TDs in his second year as the starter for the team. He already had the ability with a good team around him.

And you completely ignored everything I said in my post as to why he had the best numbers of his career in 2014.