The end of Dak is coming

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The language of negativity...

What a spice of life...

Keep it unreasonable board

Chasing6

Reaction score
If that what makes you happy. I think we disagree on what success means. For me a successful season is making a run at the Super Bowl. If the metric for you is making the playoffs then that’s cool, it’s just not my metric.

I don’t care about stats, MVP voting, DPOTY, how valuable the franchise is, etc. My metric is did we compete for a Super Bowl. If we didn’t then I consider that an unsuccessful season.

The Dak Prescott Dallas Cowboys only got one game further in this era to the Super Bowl than the Quincy Carter led Dallas Cowboys.

If the metric of success is making the playoffs and losing again I’ll ask this question, why didn’t we make Quincy Carter the highest paid player in NFL history?
We disagree 100%. To make a run at a SB you have to get in first.

Flamma

Reaction score
You still have to be good enough to get to the SB. How many 9 win teams made the playoffs over the years? How many of them reached the SB, 3?

We were paper tigers the last 3 years. We were not serious contenders. That's why it always surprises me when someone is really disappointed when we lose to teams like the 49ers in the playoffs. We weren't winning those games unless their QB hurt his arm.

We were serious contenders in 1994, 2007, and 2014. Our current group are not like those teams. Lets go beat the super bowl champs at their place like we did in 2014. Then I'll take this team more seriously. But no way would I want to pay a QB 60M a year just to make the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And when I said Dak wasn’t any better than Jimmy G, it was in the playoff game. Stick to the context.
You couldn’t have been talking about the playoff game because Jimmy G was much better than Dak because he had a MUCH better team. He had a great running game and defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whatever you say. I literally missed half the games this past season. Not as much interest in the mid tier product. If you haven’t noticed-it’s been on Groundhog Day for awhile. Dak will just be the next QB to get replaced. That’s how I view the situation. I’m way past disappointed-I’m less interested. I do lots of other stuff with my time when football season is happening. You can call it coping-I would call it living my life to the best I can. I don’t live vicariously through any of these athletes like some of you.
I mean you can try and demean some of our fandom if you like. You can root for a team without trying to live vicariously through them. What a odd thing to say.

But at the end of the day you shouldn’t throw stones from a glass house. You post on a Cowboys site, talk Cowboys…watch Cowboys for a team that you have less interest in. Seems like you could be doing far more productive things.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I just want to win. If Dak takes us to the Super Bowl this year and win it then pay him 70 million. I’d root for my ex girlfriend if she was the QB of the Cowboys (TBH she’s probably better suited for DT) but when the game starts I want to win. I don’t care who gets us there as long as we get there. I’m concerned this current group of guys doesn’t have the moxie to do it and the idea of locking them up long term is scary. If they prove it on the field in the playoffs then let’s roll baby, but this last playoff defeat was pretty sobering.
:laugh:I hear ya. I want another Super Bowl badly and I don’t care who the players are.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You still have to be good enough to get to the SB. How many 9 win teams made the playoffs over the years? How many of them reached the SB, 3?

We were paper tigers the last 3 years. We were not serious contenders. That's why it always surprises me when someone is really disappointed when we lose to teams like the 49ers in the playoffs. We weren't winning those games unless their QB hurt his arm.

We were serious contenders in 1994, 2007, and 2014. Our current group are not like those teams. Lets go beat the super bowl champs at their place like we did in 2014. Then I'll take this team more seriously. But no way would I want to pay a QB 60M a year just to make the playoffs.
Weird. You feel 2007 and 2014 were contenders? What’s the difference between now 2007 ended and how 2023 ended?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think my overall point in this thread is the idea that the organization will fall apart without Dak is not accurate. We’re not winning or losing because of Dak. We’re not competitive because of our front office and if we lose Dak than we’ll stay average and relevant. Just like we did with Carter and just like with Romo. My main point is don’t sign Dak out of fear that we’ll regress to a bad team because I don’t feel we’re a good team right now. Micah, Dak, and CD have contributed nothing to the Cowboys that Ellis, Carter, Ismail/Galloway have. I don’t get the fear of losing these guys when we haven’t won anything with them. I don’t understand how these guys can hold us hostage contract wise when their best efforts are playoff failures.

My stance is not anti-Dak. Even though that’s what started this thread. My point is to play devils advocate to the idea that Dallas will be a bottom feeder without Dak. Or Micah and CD. I’d rather be in rebuild mode with young hungry players that want to win than this group of guys that didn’t teally look like they wanted to play against GB.

I agree with Irvin and what he said after the game. “All they ***es need to go”. He pretty much encapsulated my feelings on the team.
Today’s NFL is very different than when Irvin played. He needs to shut up and leave NFL football to the men who have to play it now. The challenges are profoundly different for today’s players. He’s no more knowledgeable than Bayless about playing football in the contemporary NFL. If the Cowboys don’t want Dak they should just cut him and move on. Get started on the future asap.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Whether the Cowboys extend Dak or they let him walk-the end is much closer than the beginning. I watched a few big games (just the actual offensive plays) from earlier in his career-and came away with the same feeling that I got at the time. Dak was extremely reliant on his running ability and the star of the offense for the first several years was Zeke/offensive line. Everything was based off of the rushing game and they would sneak some occasional passes in to their best receiver playmakers (typically stop or in breaking routes). He looked awful at throwing routes running away from him most plays.

The offense has changed obviously without a dominant rushing attack. Dak is better in the pocket now, but it still looks like he’s playing someone else’s game too often and especially against top defenses. I think he is around a maximum of 5 more seasons in the league, and any other significant lower body injury could dramatically shorten that.

We’ll see what happens, but I would think all Cowboys’ fans would be fine at thinking of future teams not featuring the greatness of Dak Prescott. Considering it will be happening fairly soon either way.
Right you are, govnor, right you are.
The (uncertainties) of our running game might well force Dak into taking chances ... bootlegs, checkdowns and running. And throwing into double coverage as he heaves off his heels.
Not a good choice to run, Dak, we already have a stable of RB Jags.

If not for Fergie, Dak would be in deep cleats.

plymkr

Reaction score
That’s cool. We’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t agree with your take but I respect that your passion for the team.

basel90

Reaction score
Whether the Cowboys extend Dak or they let him walk-the end is much closer than the beginning. I watched a few big games (just the actual offensive plays) from earlier in his career-and came away with the same feeling that I got at the time. Dak was extremely reliant on his running ability and the star of the offense for the first several years was Zeke/offensive line. Everything was based off of the rushing game and they would sneak some occasional passes in to their best receiver playmakers (typically stop or in breaking routes). He looked awful at throwing routes running away from him most plays.

The offense has changed obviously without a dominant rushing attack. Dak is better in the pocket now, but it still looks like he’s playing someone else’s game too often and especially against top defenses. I think he is around a maximum of 5 more seasons in the league, and any other significant lower body injury could dramatically shorten that.

We’ll see what happens, but I would think all Cowboys’ fans would be fine at thinking of future teams not featuring the greatness of Dak Prescott. Considering it will be happening fairly soon either way.
Yes , the excuses are coming to an end . Dak has escaped real scrutiny due to the overall perception that the cowboys don’t win simply because Jerry and the FO cannot pick the right team . But Dak has not been able to make any impact in games that matter , wirh or without a running game . That says a lot of how limited he is .

Flamma

Reaction score
Weird. You feel 2007 and 2014 were contenders? What’s the difference between now 2007 ended and how 2023 ended?
I never claimed there was a difference to how they ended. The 2007 Patriots and 2006 Bears also had the same ending. One team was clearly much better than the other.

Motorola

Reaction score
How does 3rd place in voting equal runner-up? Is this some weird math where 2+2=5?

It’s embarrassing you run around and keep parroting this. I’m curious if you think other fans of other teams whose player finished 3rd in voting (not receiving a single vote for 1st place) run around pounding their chest over said player?
If Josh Allen received the only other first place vote wouldn’t that make him the runner up? Dak didn’t get a single first place vote. But nice deflection, of course you have no answer. Cope
NFL MVP 2023 Voting (per Nick Shook, "Around The NFL" writer)__

• QB Jackson received 49 of the 50 1st place votes; QB Allen got the other 1st place vote.
Overall voting points received:
1st__QB Jackson - 493
2nd__QB Prescott - 152
3rd__RB McCaffrey - 147
4th__QB Purdy - 97
5th__QB Allen - 80

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ok, so why haven't the ones with a more difficult schedule managed to out-perform Dak to All Pro status?

It may just be easier to give the man credit for being a good quarterback. Dak isn't an elite quarterback and everyone knows that, but it appears to me that people get creative enough to go out of their way to discredit the man.
You're not making yourself clear.....your premise (below) appears to be saying how come come other QB's that have faced the worst ranked defenses havent been ALL-PRO.....well because every year there's a couple of QB that can achieve ALL-PRO status without having the easier ride of facing bad defenses.

Ok, that's a great point, but here's my problem with that. Every year, other quarterbacks have and will face last ranked defenses in the NFL.... so what's their problem? Why haven't they been able to become an All Pro, 2nd or 1st team??
Im not as Anti-Dak as it may appear.....however..... I cant understand the PRO-DAK (OVER Cowboys) fans that feel they've got to defend EVERYTHING relating to Dak?

Yes Dak's excellent vrs poor teams, playing out a lead .....or more accurately, teams in which he's not facing the pressure of orchestrating a comeback (more than 3 pts, where he needs a TD), or when time's ticking. He's great in his bubble, but when asked to take the responsibility he comes up short.

That's why so many of us are uncertain, because most EVERY QB needs to shoulder responsibility to win it all and I dont think Dak's got that.....if it was a pure league table (rather than play-offs) id blow the doors off a deal, but it's not and his 'struggles' are VERY difficult to mask or coach around.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
You couldn’t have been talking about the playoff game because Jimmy G was much better than Dak because he had a MUCH better team. He had a great running game and defense.
JG 16/25 172 yards 6.9 0 TDs 1 INT 72 QBR
Dak 23/43 254 yards 5.9 1 TD 1 INT 40 QBR

They both sucked.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
JG 16/25 172 yards 6.9 0 TDs 1 INT 72 QBR
Dak 23/43 254 yards 5.9 1 TD 1 INT 40 QBR

They both sucked.
I suppose that supports us who believe it's just/more important to get the roster right first and fit in the QB afterwards.
A good team elevates the QB....I suppose they've done that with Purdy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I never claimed there was a difference to how they ended. The 2007 Patriots and 2006 Bears also had the same ending. One team was clearly much better than the other.
I misspoke I mean how was 2007 a serious contender but 2024 wasn’t?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
NFL MVP 2023 Voting (per Nick Shook, "Around The NFL" writer)__

• QB Jackson received 49 of the 50 1st place votes; QB Allen got the other 1st place vote.
Overall voting points received:
1st__QB Jackson - 493
2nd__QB Prescott - 152
3rd__RB McCaffrey - 147
4th__QB Purdy - 97
5th__QB Allen - 80
I stand corrected, In my mind when I made my statement I was only paying attention to the 1st place vote totals as I thought that’s all that mattered. So logically I figured that put him to the 2nd tier since I had no idea they had an entire point system for this award.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I suppose that supports us who believe it's just/more important to get the roster right first and fit in the QB afterwards.
A good team elevates the QB....I suppose they've done that with Purdy.
A good team can only elevate an average QB so much. This is a general truth regardless of whether you think Dak is good enough or not.

In the playoffs, the competition becomes stiffer and the talent level is closer. To say the 49ers and Cowboys weren't similar in talent during that time is simply fallacious. The final score was 23-17 and it was a defensive battle with TOs and the inability to get the ball in the end zone that mattered. Dak turned the ball over on the team's side of the field and once again and gave the other team a short field and easy points. Dak has proven multiple times that he's simply not good enough to overcome strong defenses in such pressure situations. In that sense, he's no better than Jimmy G.

Last edited: