The fact that Romo never won the big one

sean10mm

Reaction score
Here are the defenses ranked by points allowed that past Cowboys Hall of Famers needed to win titles:

7 (1971)
8 (1977)
5 (1992)
2 (1993)
3 (1995)

Essentially we're arguing that Romo should have needed LESS help than Staubach and Aikman to win titles.. because he was better than them? Wait, what?

dckid

Reaction score
Here are the defenses ranked by points allowed that past Cowboys Hall of Famers needed to win titles:

7 (1971)
8 (1977)
5 (1992)
2 (1993)
3 (1995)

Essentially we're arguing that Romo should have needed LESS help than Staubach and Aikman to win titles.. because he was better than them? Wait, what?
Well based on this comment we should just send Romo to the HOF and bypass the 5 year waiting period.
Romo is our captor in Stockholm syndrome.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Fair point. It's always going to be more than one guy. I just don't think Tony reached the expectations. He never willed us to a title game and he had his chances. He had 2 playoff wins... I don't want to have a new narrative of how good he was, because it just never translated to playoff success.
We are not the Bengals, we judge our greats by playoff success and SB's. If the 70's teams didn't make 5 SB's they wouldn't be as loved. You have to remember the Cowboys made 8 of the first 30 SB's.
Just think about that, how far we fallen over the past 23 years. It's sad..

Sorry, but greats are only judged by Super Bowls if they are QB's. It'ds stupid really. QB's can take 1-15 teams and make them 8-8 or 10-6 but team flaws won't allow them to win Super Bowls. It just does not work that way.

aikemirv

Reaction score

7 (1971)
8 (1977)
5 (1992)
2 (1993)
3 (1995)

You are making too much sense here. You better stop. The Romo haters heads may explode - oh wait - CARRYON!

dckid

Reaction score
Way to miss the point.

Romo wasn't a future Hall of Famer, but fans are mad at him because he didn't do what actual Hall of Famers never did.

I know... I was being sarcastic... To me however you want to spin it, Romo never won the big game. Life isnt fair,he made a metric ton of money and is doing quite well in life and as a broadcaster.
He just is our Neil Lomax, Dave Kreig, Danny White, Bobby Hebert.. He had great numbers in this era, as did many other QB's. He was good enough to have more playoff success than he did, so he was an underachiever.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He never played on a SB winning caliber team. There were always glaring weaknesses even with the handful of really good teams he played on. So no, not his fault.

Lmao. 2007 and 2014 were absolutely Super Bowl caliber teams. If you don't think this, you are delusional or purposely saying this because you are biased against Romo. They won 13 and 12 games respectively. But of course, the Romo fans use this as an excuse for his short comings. He's the Philip Rivers of the NFC, well except Rivers has actually gotten past the divisional round once. And 2008 could have been a special year was well but it went to crap because they fell apart at the end as usual. Happened a lot in the Romo era.

Romo absolutely has a big hand in never getting past the divisional round. And a big hand in so many late season meltdowns. Mainly 2006 and 2008. Throw in 2011 and 2012 as well. Wasted years.

This guy won one more playoff game than Tebow and it took him 9 more years to do so yet he is revered as some special and great QB. The Eagles fans don't even revere McNabb in this light and we was infinitely more successful than Romo was.

dckid

Reaction score
Lmao. 2007 and 2014 were absolutely Super Bowl caliber teams. If you don't think this, you are delusional or purposely saying this because you are biased against Romo. They won 13 and 12 games respectively. But of course, the Romo fans use this as an excuse for his short comings. He's the Philip Rivers of the NFC, well except Rivers has actually gotten past the divisional round once. And 2008 could have been a special year was well but it went to crap because they fell apart at the end as usual. Happened a lot in the Romo era.

Romo absolutely has a big hand in never getting past the divisional round. And a big hand in so many late season meltdowns. Mainly 2006 and 2008. Throw in 2011 and 2012 as well. Wasted years.

This guy won one more playoff game than Tebow and it took him 9 more years to do so yet he is revered as some special and great QB. The Eagles fans don't even revere McNabb in this light and we was infinitely more successful than Romo was.
Can I like your post more than once? We as Cowboys fans are so ingrained in mediocrity that we are begging for the common fan to accept how great Romo was.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Lmao. 2007 and 2014 were absolutely Super Bowl caliber teams.

List of Cowboys Hall of Fame QBs that won titles with defenses ranked as badly as those teams by points allowed:

Error: file not found

He was good enough to have more playoff success than he did

No he wasn't. Or more precisely, not with this team. That's the crux of the whole issue.

The problem is one of unrealistic expectations. Romo doesn't meet unrealistic expectations and is hated. But like I said, the expectations were unrealistic in the first place, because the organization was a mess the whole time from Jerry, Wade and/or Garrett on down, making the whole thing psychotic.

Romo was a good player. He had a lot of positives.

Romo was NOT NOT NOT a historically great, Hall of Fame tier player.

This is a super duper simple statement, but I feel like people somehow can't process the idea of a QB being really good but not great - the guy has to be either elite or a total bum as far as fans are concerned. But this is an insane way of looking at things.

Think about it: people are asking why Romo wasn't able to match the performance of QBs everyone agrees were historically great Hall of Famers, while playing with much worse defenses, and much worse coaches, even though we all agree that he wasn't a Hall of Famer. None of that makes any sense. The answer is right there.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Coaching matters in the NFL, Romo had all the talent in the word but no real coach to show him the way.
Any response that relates to why I actually started this thread gets a like from me (and Romo wasn't the reason).

sean10mm

Reaction score
Romo "only" being very good is probably fine if he's on a team that's better run, instead of having a senile old drunk owner playing at GM and a series of stiffs at head coach after Parcells peaced out. We can't know that Romo would have won a title under different circumstances, but we do know that Romo's circumstances didn't line up with what the Hall of Famers had when they themselves won titles for this team.

We're talking about giving a worse player a worse team, and then being mad that he doesn't match what the better player did on the better team. How does that make any sense? Everything is worse top to bottom, of course the results were worse.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No. Romo was definitely good enough to win one, but organizations win Super Bowls. Not just management, not just scouting, not just coaching, not just offense, not just defense, not just QBs or any other individual players. ORGANIZATIONS.

dckid

Reaction score
List of Cowboys Hall of Fame QBs that won titles with defenses ranked as badly as those teams by points allowed:

Error: file not found

No he wasn't. Or more precisely, not with this team. That's the crux of the whole issue.

The problem is one of unrealistic expectations. Romo doesn't meet unrealistic expectations and is hated. But like I said, the expectations were unrealistic in the first place, because the organization was a mess the whole time from Jerry, Wade and/or Garrett on down, making the whole thing psychotic.

Romo was a good player. He had a lot of positives.

Romo was NOT NOT NOT a historically great, Hall of Fame tier player.

This is a super duper simple statement, but I feel like people somehow can't process the idea of a QB being really good but not great - the guy has to be either elite or a total bum as far as fans are concerned. But this is an insane way of looking at things.

Think about it: people are asking why Romo wasn't able to match the performance of QBs everyone agrees were historically great Hall of Famers, while playing with much worse defenses, and much worse coaches, even though we all agree that he wasn't a Hall of Famer. None of that makes any sense. The answer is right there.
Who hates Romo? What are you talking about?
I think he gets undue love from the fan base and ownership. At the end of the day he made over 100 million dollars and gave us two playoff wins.
Having said that I’m not saying my previous statement then saying but... it’s an and. He saved our team’s *** for a while. His athleticism and escapability was amazing. Put up great stats, played through some crazy injuries. He is honestly remembered more for his losses and close misses. Seriously how many times did we lose to the Giants on Sunday night, how many times did we lose weeks 16&17 to not make the playoffs. How many boneheaded int’s did he have? He was Phillip Rivers lite. At least Rivers has more wins, more playoff success, more durability.

dckid

Reaction score
No. Romo was definitely good enough to win one, but organizations win Super Bowls. Not just management, not just scouting, not just coaching, not just offense, not just defense, not just QBs or any other individual players. ORGANIZATIONS.
Hmm it always comes back to culture!!!! Jerry has a culture of going 8-8, pat yourself on the back we will get them next time.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Romo might have been one of the most talented quarterback we've had in decades, he just had a sphincter problem from time to time in games that matter the most in the playoffs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
whats Marino,Kelly,Tarkenton and Moon's excuse.
Dan Fouts,Ken Anderson,John Hadl, Testaverde, McNabb, Kreig, Jim Hart, Esiason, Cunningham, Roman Gabriel. All chokers.

dckid

Reaction score
whats Marino,Kelly,Tarkenton and Moon's excuse.
Dan Fouts,Ken Anderson,John Hadl, Testaverde, McNabb, Kreig, Jim Hart, Esiason, Cunningham, Roman Gabriel. All chokers.
All of these guys had more playoff success than Romo.