The fact that Romo never won the big one

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bottom line we as Cowboy fans want him to better than he actually was. He did not have the success in the playoffs that we as fans expect. We cant excuse him for that.
You are what your record is.
I would have a real tough time taking him over the QB's listed below:
QB's in Romo's era who were better than him.
Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Brees- Elite guys
Big Ben, Rivers, Eli,
Luck, Russell Wilson
Reasonable post.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I do. I blame everyone for their mistakes. I don't excuse any other mistakes. They all count towards losing. It's just fans have their pet player that they want to highlight all the mistakes others make to downplay all the mistakes their pet player makes. Players like Romo, Dez, and Zeke can literally take a crap in the middle of the field during a play and their fans will try to excuse it and point fingers at others. But players like Murray and Crayton make a mistake....those same people who can come up with excuses for their pet player won't make one attempt to excuse a mistake from Murray or Crayton. Earlier in this thread you mentioned "no one's perfect" when defending Romo. I'm just curious, does "no one's perfect" excuse apply to Murray or Crayton?

See, I'll acknowledge no one is perfect and they will makes mistakes, but also understand those mistakes cost football games.
you acknowledge that I said Romo makes mistakes, yet you argue that I excuse him from everything
you acknowledge my statement that all players are responsible, but you argue that all players are responsible
seriously, are you on meds?

btw here's the game if you want to watch it again, I'm curious to how many plays you can point out that Romo cost us the game, while excluding everyone else:

sean10mm

Reaction score
Every player makes mistakes in every game. No QB completes 100% of their passes, and no defense allows 0 scores all year. The fact that you found an error a player made once isn't even wrong, it's just sort of empty and meaningless by itself.

People blame the defense more than Romo over his career because the defense was good for exactly ONE season of Romo's entire career (2009), and then the Vikings promptly hung 34 points on them. Meanwhile Romo was a 4 time Pro Bowler who had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio in the playoffs.

And we all know how garbage the coaching and "GM" have been since 1996.

The context isn't complicated if you're not actively hiding from it to push a personal agenda.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Brady never won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked as badly in points allowed as every single season of Romo's career except 2009.

Defense wins championships, unless the conversation is about Romo.

dckid

Reaction score
Brady never won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked as badly in points allowed as every single season of Romo's career except 2009.

Why are we as fans in love with Romo, it's like we have our very own Stockholm Syndrome!!!
I never thought that we as Cowboys fans would be yearning for the Tony Romo era!!
I grew up with the Triplets and Jimmy Johnson, I would hear about how great TD and Roger and Doomsday were. Think Big fans!!!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

Brady also has been able to win Superbowls or have his team in the Superbowl with different WRs and offensive weapons playing on his teams through the course of the seasons. Since the other offensive players and supporting cast has been blamed for the teams not getting to a Superbowl under Romo. And it's not all of Romo's fault, as the coaching/the front office takes a lot of the blame for no recent Superbowl success.

But, some still try to put most of the blame on the offensive supporting cast under Romo.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Why are we as fans in love with Romo, it's like we have our very own Stockholm Syndrome!!!
I never thought that we as Cowboys fans would be yearning for the Tony Romo era!!
I grew up with the Triplets and Jimmy Johnson, I would hear about how great TD and Roger and Doomsday were. Think Big fans!!!

Referencing your point about TD, Roger, And Doomsday, I think without knowing it you are illustrating the point of great players surrounded by mediocre talent.

What I mean by that is--
yes, TD was amazing. TD was my favorite Cowboy as a kid. Loved him.
But--I have to admit--as good as he was, he was never a part of a Super Bowl victory after Doomsday and Roger were gone.

See what I'm getting at here? Tony Dorsett didn't forget how to run the ball. Didn't forget how to play the game.
But when he was surrounded by mediocre defenses and guys like Danny White and Gary Hogoboom, all of the sudden he's not "good enough" to carry his team to a title.

That's not a knock on Dorsett. I love the guy and in my mind he's still one of the top 5 backs in NFL history.
But it takes more than one guy. Even if that guy is a truly great player.

sean10mm

Reaction score
"Why couldn't Romo overcome worse defenses than Tom Brady ever won a title with?!?"

Because he wasn't better than Tom Brady... a thing nobody is claiming in the first place?

Almost all Romo "supporters" are simply arguing that he was a good player who gets too much blame/vicious hatred from his own team's fanbase, not that he's a historically great future Hall of Famer. Meanwhile his haters hate him for not doing what a historically great Hall of Famer never did himself.

This is the disconnect between the Romo haters and reality. They hate him for not being what his supporters never even claimed he was in the first place.

It's really nutty when you think about it.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Still not sure what Crayton was thinking on that route.

Seriously. Again it's a team game, win and lose together.
But for pete's sake after the "drop" earlier in the game and quitting on that route, I have to wonder if he was legitimately on the take.

If he just sprints on that route like he should, that's a pitch and catch TD. Even after letting up he still had a step on Webster.
Watching that pisses me off all over again.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yes... Really..... Please forgive me for thinking we were on a message board where even the more uncomfortable of topics could be intelligenrly discussed.

Actually, the dialogue herein proves it can. (for the most part..)

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That play did hurt our chances, I agree. No player is going to complete every pass, break every run for a TD, or catch every pass thrown their way. But you are trying to place blame on Romo for the loss when the fact of the matter is he threw two perfect passes at the end of the game that would've given us the win had the WR not stopped his route. That's like people blaming Romo for that loss against Denver when the D gave up, what, 51 points? Because he threw an INT after our own lineman tripped him. It's crazy.
It is a simple concept, everyone is to blame for their mistakes. Period. The collection of mistakes can be blamed for the loss.

dckid

Reaction score
Referencing your point about TD, Roger, And Doomsday, I think without knowing it you are illustrating the point of great players surrounded by mediocre talent.

What I mean by that is--
yes, TD was amazing. TD was my favorite Cowboy as a kid. Loved him.
But--I have to admit--as good as he was, he was never a part of a Super Bowl victory after Doomsday and Roger were gone.

See what I'm getting at here? Tony Dorsett didn't forget how to run the ball. Didn't forget how to play the game.
But when he was surrounded by mediocre defenses and guys like Danny White and Gary Hogoboom, all of the sudden he's not "good enough" to carry his team to a title.

That's not a knock on Dorsett. I love the guy and in my mind he's still one of the top 5 backs in NFL history.
But it takes more than one guy. Even if that guy is a truly great player.

Fair point. It's always going to be more than one guy. I just don't think Tony reached the expectations. He never willed us to a title game and he had his chances. He had 2 playoff wins... I don't want to have a new narrative of how good he was, because it just never translated to playoff success.
We are not the Bengals, we judge our greats by playoff success and SB's. If the 70's teams didn't make 5 SB's they wouldn't be as loved. You have to remember the Cowboys made 8 of the first 30 SB's.
Just think about that, how far we fallen over the past 23 years. It's sad..

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Well you've been here long enough and knew how it would turn out. The topic has been blugeoned to death here more than the Zombies in The Walking Dead.
Welp.... It seems there was some more civil bludgeoning available to be done.

I asked the question for a specific reason and got exactly what I was looking for. Great discussion regarding responsibility.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm not the one nitpicking one technicality. If you want to question his post simply ask him, "Do you think Romo had any blame that game". I don't care what his post said, you literally took it and ran off as a "haha got 'em post". That's real simple thinking. And I'm not white knighting for anyone, as you claim. At this point you're simply trolling.

This is comical now. I don't have to ask him. He stated Romo was in no way at fault point blank in his post. That's why I responded the way I did, which upset your apple cart. And you keep trying to insinuate I'm the crazy one. LOL

Go back to elementary school like Billy Madison and get some reading comprehension skills.