The fact that Romo never won the big one

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair & true.

As much as I railed against Romo (I'm probably one of the guiltiest parties on CZ), now that time has passed and we are into the next generation of QB, I now understand that it was much less Romo (although he shoulders some blame of course) and more the people that were responsible for nurturing him. AKA Clapper & his gang of clowns..
I hope some people, perhaps yourself even, now realize partly what generally serves as a catalyst of overtly zealous criticism. Prescott deserves to be criticized just like Romo but Romo's successor is being unfairly lumped on to a lesser degree due to simple elementary playground tic for tat. All those idiotic years of unnecessary criticism of Romo have spilled over onto Prescott. What goes around does come around but it is disgraceful how both men received and are receiving so much illogical <expletive>.

Fair criticism would break this cycle.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I hope some people, perhaps yourself even, now realize partly what generally serves as a catalyst of overtly zealous criticism. Prescott deserves to be criticized just like Romo but Romo's successor is being unfairly lumped on to a lesser degree due to simple elementary playground tic for tat. All those idiotic years of unnecessary criticism of Romo have spilled over onto Prescott. What goes around does come around but it is disgraceful how both men received and are receiving so much illogical <expletive>.

Fair criticism would break this cycle.
You sir clearly understand why I humbly posed the original question.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Was that Romo's fault? Just curious... & very interested in your perspectives.

I will never give Romo a pass. There have been QB's on teams that have won SB's with less. In fact I cant remember the last complete team that won a SB.

Romo just wasnt good enough despite the numbers and stats that fans so love to run with.

If Romo needed a team to be so perfect for him to win a SB then that should tell you all you need to now about him.

This is one player that fans will never get over and admit the facts. It will always be how great Romo was without having anything to show for or prove he could carry a team when needed.

I find it funny when fans say dak will never be a Romo.

You guys have zilch idea how low that bar is really set!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Was that Romo's fault? Just curious... & very interested in your perspectives.

It's impossible to assign complete fault to a single player in a team game.

I saw more games where Romo's play overcame others' faults than games where he was one of the players who deserved blame for the loss.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thought it was Anthony Henry and Roy Williams for being completely useless on that TD
It would bring back unwanted memories but perhaps re-watching that Giants' possession might be a good idea.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's impossible to assign complete fault to a single player in a team game.

I saw more games where Romo's play overcame others' faults than games where he was one of the players who deserved blame for the loss.

Let's use our 26-21 loss at Green Bay in the 2014 playoffs as an example. We all know about the call against Bryant, but the loss was because of much more than that.

In a game where the teams ended up being separated by five points, we had

1st drive, Romo being sacked on third down by Julius Peppers (probably the fault of the right tackle Free)

Green Bay drives for a touchdown (defense's fault, but hard to say who just looking at the play by play)

Dallas drives for a touchdown pass from Romo. Then, Mincey forces and recovers a fumble.

Romo throws another TD pass for a 14-7 lead.

Dallas forces a punt and the offense drives to the Green Bay 27, where Romo fumbles at the Packers' 38, picks it up and throws incomplete (can't tell by the play by play who was at fault, but might have been all on Romo)

Bailey has 50-yard FG attempt blocked after false start by Ladouceur (special teams blocking at fault)

This gave Green Bay a shorter field with 30 seconds left in the half and Packers drove for 40-yard field goal (six-point swing).

To start the third quarter, Dallas defense forces a punt, but Murray fumbles on first-and-5 from the Dallas 41 (Murray's fault).

The fumble leads to a field goal for Green Bay so we're at 14-13.

Dallas drives for a TD, but defense gives up TD drive to Packers.

Back-to-back sacks of Romo help force a punt (blockers more than likely at fault). Green Bay drives 80 yards for the TD and the lead (defense's fault). Dallas is now down 26-21 after the two-point attempt fails.

Another sack of Romo puts Dallas at third-and-11, but a 9-yard pass to Beasley sets up the fourth-and-2 "incompletion" to Bryant (Bryant at fault for not making sure the catch was secured, or officials at fault for not upholding the ruling on the field).

With 4:06 left, the defense allows Green Bay to run out the clock (defense at fault).

So the reason we didn't win (just based on looking at the play by play) was the offensive line, the defense, special teams, Murray, Bryant and possibly Romo. Anyone who puts the blame on Romo just blames the QB for any loss, and this could be done with pretty much every loss, with Romo maybe deserving more blame in some than he did in this one but there also being multiple reasons that we lost.

Blaming Romo for this loss would have been akin to blaming Rodgers if the call had not been reversed on Bryant's catch (and the defense had been able to hold if we scored, which I doubt would have happened since Green Bay would have just needed a field goal).

sean10mm

Reaction score
There have been QB's on teams that have won SB's with less. In fact I cant remember the last complete team that won a SB.

I mean, are you seriously arguing that Jason Garrett is on par with any of the coaches that have won a Super Bowl? That Jerry is on par with their GMs? Or are you arguing that coaches and GMs don't matter?

Cowboys defense points allowed when Romo was the primary starter:

2 (2009)
13 (2007)
15 (2014)
16 (2011)
20 (2006)
20 (2008)
24 (2012)
26 (2013)

So I guess we're gonna argue that 2009 was the Cowboys year, and they were secret world-beaters being held back by Romo, in spite of the peerless Hall of Fame-caliber coaching of... uh... lemme look this up... Wade Phillips? Sure why not.

Patriots defense points allowed under Brady when they won Super Bowls, for the curious:

1 (2003)
1 (2016)
2 (2004)
6 (2001)
8 (2014)

Those look suspiciously like "complete teams" to me?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'm using the logic that everyone is accountable for their own mistakes...even your precious Romo.
Right before he threw it I thought to myself it's about time for a Romo Punt. And just like clockwork the interception came.lol

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Him missing a wide open Terrell Owens in the red zone on 3rd down is his fault. That was the difference between scoring 21 points vs. 17 points and possibly even leading to a game winning FG attempt on the final drive instead of Crayton stopping his route and Romo then throwing a desperation interception on 4th down. So, yes, there was still fault from Romo in that game.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
2006. The team was good enough to go to the Super Bowl.
Until they got to the playoffs. Then the defense forgot how to defend and the receivers forgot how to catch. And it came down to Romo forcing a pass in the end zone.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not the 3rd down play earlier in the game that Romo missed Terrrell Owens on that caused us to settle for the FG to go up 17-14.
No, it's an easy touchdown with seconds left that would've given us the lead had Crayton not stopped running for some inexplicable reason.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not the 3rd down play earlier in the game that Romo missed Terrrell Owens on that caused us to settle for the FG to go up 17-14.
and when it mattered most he delivered, but they couldn't connect

Eli threw a would be pick 6 to Asante Samuels before he won the SB...what game are you playing again?

No one's excusing the throw if he missed it, but why stop there? Go back to every play and say if x player did y thing different we would've won.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
and when it mattered most he delivered, but they couldn't connect

Eli threw a would be pick 6 to Asante Samuels before he won the SB...what game are you playing again?
I'm playing a game where I don't take a pet player, in this case Romo, and try everything I can to excuse his mistakes while only blaming others for their mistakes.

I know that frustrates you because you want Romo to get zero blame but I'm not playing that game.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No one's excusing the throw if he missed it, but why stop there? Go back to every play and say if x player did y thing different we would've won.

I do. I blame everyone for their mistakes. I don't excuse any other mistakes. They all count towards losing. It's just fans have their pet player that they want to highlight all the mistakes others make to downplay all the mistakes their pet player makes. Players like Romo, Dez, and Zeke can literally take a crap in the middle of the field during a play and their fans will try to excuse it and point fingers at others. But players like Murray and Crayton make a mistake....those same people who can come up with excuses for their pet player won't make one attempt to excuse a mistake from Murray or Crayton. Earlier in this thread you mentioned "no one's perfect" when defending Romo. I'm just curious, does "no one's perfect" excuse apply to Murray or Crayton?

See, I'll acknowledge no one is perfect and they will makes mistakes, but also understand those mistakes cost football games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's use our 26-21 loss at Green Bay in the 2014 playoffs as an example. We all know about the call against Bryant, but the loss was because of much more than that.

In a game where the teams ended up being separated by five points, we had

1st drive, Romo being sacked on third down by Julius Peppers (probably the fault of the right tackle Free)

Green Bay drives for a touchdown (defense's fault, but hard to say who just looking at the play by play)

Dallas drives for a touchdown pass from Romo. Then, Mincey forces and recovers a fumble.

Romo throws another TD pass for a 14-7 lead.

Dallas forces a punt and the offense drives to the Green Bay 27, where Romo fumbles at the Packers' 38, picks it up and throws incomplete (can't tell by the play by play who was at fault, but might have been all on Romo)

Bailey has 50-yard FG attempt blocked after false start by Ladouceur (special teams blocking at fault)

This gave Green Bay a shorter field with 30 seconds left in the half and Packers drove for 40-yard field goal (six-point swing).

To start the third quarter, Dallas defense forces a punt, but Murray fumbles on first-and-5 from the Dallas 41 (Murray's fault).

The fumble leads to a field goal for Green Bay so we're at 14-13.

Dallas drives for a TD, but defense gives up TD drive to Packers.

Back-to-back sacks of Romo help force a punt (blockers more than likely at fault). Green Bay drives 80 yards for the TD and the lead (defense's fault). Dallas is now down 26-21 after the two-point attempt fails.

Another sack of Romo puts Dallas at third-and-11, but a 9-yard pass to Beasley sets up the fourth-and-2 "incompletion" to Bryant (Bryant at fault for not making sure the catch was secured, or officials at fault for not upholding the ruling on the field).

With 4:06 left, the defense allows Green Bay to run out the clock (defense at fault).

So the reason we didn't win (just based on looking at the play by play) was the offensive line, the defense, special teams, Murray, Bryant and possibly Romo. Anyone who puts the blame on Romo just blames the QB for any loss, and this could be done with pretty much every loss, with Romo maybe deserving more blame in some than he did in this one but there also being multiple reasons that we lost.

Blaming Romo for this loss would have been akin to blaming Rodgers if the call had not been reversed on Bryant's catch (and the defense had been able to hold if we scored, which I doubt would have happened since Green Bay would have just needed a field goal).
This is an example how any sports (not just football) discussion should be fairly outlined and supplemented.

:clap:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I do. I blame everyone for their mistakes. I don't excuse any other mistakes. They all count towards losing. It's just fans have their pet player that they want to highlight all the mistakes others make to downplay all the mistakes their pet player makes. Players like Romo, Dez, and Zeke can literally take a crap in the middle of the field during a play and their fans will try to excuse it and point fingers at others. But players like Murray and Crayton make a mistake....those same people who can come up with excuses for their pet player won't make one attempt to excuse a mistake from Murray or Crayton. Earlier in this thread you mentioned "no one's perfect" when defending Romo. I'm just curious, does "no one's perfect" excuse apply to Murray or Crayton?

See, I'll acknowledge no one is perfect and they will makes mistakes, but also understand those mistakes cost football games.

No one is perfect can also apply to the Defense since some blame them for the Cowboys not winning a Superbowl with Romo. Every individual player is accountable and responsible for their mistakes. When multiple ones make costly mistakes in big time games, we get the result of the Cowboys failure in the playoffs for the last two decades.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Until they got to the playoffs. Then the defense forgot how to defend and the receivers forgot how to catch. And it came down to Romo forcing a pass in the end zone.
2006 not 2007.

dckid

Reaction score
We/I bring it up because history provides great perspective when analyzing the present... & in many ways, we/I would prefer that history not continue to repeat itself.
Bottom line we as Cowboy fans want him to better than he actually was. He did not have the success in the playoffs that we as fans expect. We cant excuse him for that.
You are what your record is.
I would have a real tough time taking him over the QB's listed below:
QB's in Romo's era who were better than him.
Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Brees- Elite guys
Big Ben, Rivers, Eli,
Luck, Russell Wilson

Reactions: G2