The fact that Romo never won the big one

InTheZone

Reaction score
That's on Patrick Crayton stopping his route on two different plays. That's on the defense letting the Giants drive down the field with no resistance to score right before half-time. That game was in no way the fault of Tony Romo or a trip to Cabo. I wish people would know what they are talking about.

And sadly people have ZERO memory of those plays. They only remember Cabo because of the media.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Him missing a wide open Terrell Owens in the red zone on 3rd down is his fault. That was the difference between scoring 21 points vs. 17 points and possibly even leading to a game winning FG attempt on the final drive instead of Crayton stopping his route and Romo then throwing a desperation interception on 4th down. So, yes, there was still fault from Romo in that game.
No one's perfect. But to miss a TD then literally throw for one and possibly another on a different drive makes up for it no? By your logic I could blame romo for losing the Denver game because he didn't complete every pass.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No one's perfect. But to miss a TD then literally throw for one and possibly another on a different drive makes up for it no? By your logic I could blame romo for losing the Denver game because he didn't complete every pass.
Yes, you're right, no one is perfect. By your logic, Crayton isn't to blame either. See how this works?

And, yes, Romo is partly to blame for the Denver loss. He did throw the interception. He doesn't get excused for that.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, no one is perfect. By your logic, Crayton isn't to blame either. See how this works?

And, yes, Romo is partly to blame for the Denver loss. He did throw the interception. He doesn't get excused for that.
You're the one that used that logic, don't use the argument against yourself

Little Jr

Reaction score
No one person is to blame in any game. Maybe mostly to blame at times but never all the blame. The 2012 win and in game is a good example of a player, Romo, being mostly to blame.

It's is funny that I see excuses/reasons in this thread on why Romo didn't win the big one and excuses/reasons on why he's not to blame. But some of the same people bash others who give Dak the SAME excuses/reasons.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers won a superbowl with like 50 guys on IR and no offense or defense.......just saying.......these good QBs make players around them better......
Not true on D. They had a top 5 defense overall and the #1 defense in points allowed. This is why i say Rodgers is overrated by many. He's great, don't get me wrong but like all qbs, he needs some kind of help and he got it that year with his defense. Since then he's been above avg in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not true on D. They had a top 5 defense overall and the #1 defense in points allowed. This is why i say Rodgers is overrated by many. He's great, don't get me wrong but like all qbs, he needs some kind of help and he got it that year with his defense. Since then he's been above avg in the playoffs.
Not always above average.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Every player is responsible for their own mistakes.
There are no exceptions.
Romo has made plenty, regardless of the great things he's done.
Having a great game 95% of a game and then making a costly mistake to end a winning chane does not negate the mistake.

kskboys

Reaction score
Correct. His playoff record since the super bowl is 5-6 so below avg.
I've seen him have quite a few stinkers.

Like you, I'm not denying his greatness, I just don't believe he's as great as some do. IMO, he doesn't deal all that well w/ pressure in general. Just my opinion.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was that Romo's fault? Just curious... & very interested in your perspectives.

Romo played a part as did all other players and coaches. It's not on one person. That said, Romo was a good enough QB to win the Super Bowl, as many other Cowboys were good enough players. But one guy can't do it on his own. The collective has to be sufficient and has to blend the right way to make it happen.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yeah he had some rough spots early,and it became a narrative that stuck so it was the perception forever
Fair & true.

As much as I railed against Romo (I'm probably one of the guiltiest parties on CZ), now that time has passed and we are into the next generation of QB, I now understand that it was much less Romo (although he shoulders some blame of course) and more the people that were responsible for nurturing him. AKA Clapper & his gang of clowns..

dckid

Reaction score
Was that Romo's fault? Just curious... & very interested in your perspectives.

Why do we always bring this stuff up? When the rubber meets the road Romo could not get it done. It really says something when he could never reach a NFC title game.
Love the guy to death, cuz he is our guy but compared to other QB's in his era he just wasn't elite. Obviously if the ball bounces one way or another the game is different, but you guys know that is football.
He put up very good stats, a majority of the time had above average talent around him especially at the skill positions.
2006-
All of the above years we should have gone further than we actually did. At some point it has to fall on the QB to make it happen. He always left us wanting more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not read the entire thread so I may have skipped someone else mentioning a key factor that is rarely repeated about the 2007 NFC Divisional game--except for someone like myself. My January 2008 post still make me chuckle:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-post-season-grades.110936/page-2#post-1915963

It is a never ending fascinating conversation. The final score was 21-17. The game would have gone into overtime if the defense holds the Giants to a field goal before the half. Dallas advances to the NFC Championship if the defense forces New York to punt.

Nope. This is rarely an element of discussion. An ENTIRE unit of the team failed to do its job 42 seconds before the half ended. Manning made Reeves looked like <expletive> for most of that decisive Giants drive. Incredibly, it is far easier for some people to put more blame on Romo for the loss than the defense. Heck. Some people do not even (care to) remember a huge part of the game. It is like a black hole floats within certain people's recollections of the game. All they "know" is what Romo may or may not have done wrong.

Some things never change.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Why do we always bring this stuff up? When the rubber meets the road Romo could not get it done. It really says something when he could never reach a NFC title game.
Love the guy to death, cuz he is our guy but compared to other QB's in his era he just wasn't elite. Obviously if the ball bounces one way or another the game is different, but you guys know that is football.
He put up very good stats, a majority of the time had above average talent around him especially at the skill positions.
2006-
All of the above years we should have gone further than we actually did. At some point it has to fall on the QB to make it happen. He always left us wanting more.
We/I bring it up because history provides great perspective when analyzing the present... & in many ways, we/I would prefer that history not continue to repeat itself.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I did not read the entire thread so I may have skipped someone else mentioning a key factor that is rarely repeated about the 2007 NFC Divisional game--except for someone like myself. My January 2008 post still make me chuckle:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-post-season-grades.110936/page-2#post-1915963

It is a never ending fascinating conversation. The final score was 21-17. The game would have gone into overtime if the defense holds the Giants to a field goal before the half. Dallas advances to the NFC Championship if the defense forces New York to punt.

Nope. This is rarely an element of discussion. An ENTIRE unit of the team failed to do its job 42 seconds before the half ended. Manning made Reeves looked like <expletive> for most of that decisive Giants drive. Incredibly, it is far easier for some people to put more blame on Romo for the loss than the defense. Heck. Some people do not even (care to) remember a huge part of the game. It is like a black hole floats within certain people's recollections of the game. All they "know" is what Romo may or may not have done wrong.

Patrick Crayton and Jacques Reeves are the main reason we lost in 2007. 2006 we win the Super Bowl if we get past Seattle.

InTheZone

Reaction score

Thought it was Anthony Henry and Roy Williams for being completely useless on that TD