The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bite me, Diehard! These offseason topics are driving me nuts! I can't wait to debate ways to improve the team based on how each player is performing. Or how many games get played before Garrett gets his contract extended or fired depending on how the season goes. Thanks for trying to distract us with your lame topics (just kidding) but I need some real football games to talk about.
On the old Cowboys fan forum off-season we talked about everything from how big is she, she is so big she sells shade. 2 what's Jerry's favorite color. Crazy can't wait for football

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All true coach we are not mediocre . We are a playoff team just not a SB contender and I am content with that also because no matter how much I bench race the problem . I cant fix it from here . So Im happy to watch us run the ball well ,play much better defense led by our young LBs and see Dak progress into a QB I very much like to watch .

Garrett is who he is MEDIOCRE , great at many facets of being a HC but PROVEN to be lacking in enough to keep us from taking a deep run . Playoffs are the ceiling Im OK with It
Agree, the HC is mediocre and will need a little luck on his side to win it all or talent that can't be stopped like Ditka, Billick and Gruden had, which I also consider mediocre. And those three were able to sustain nothing. Gruden was lucky to be playing his old team and old playbook in the SB.

The most glaring problem that Booger didn't see coming was that FA would create a higher need for a superior HC to uneven the playing field. One that could understand the difference between coaching in the pre FA days and what is now in place. I do not think either Johnson or Parcells are that and I think they know it which is why they walked away. I also think Landry might have struggled with this as well and probably Noll.

If this was easier, more than one HC would have figured it out. He's got the only team that doesn't seem to cycle in and out. That's why we're seeing this division winners changing so much season to season. And Belichick has the best team in the worst division but that's because they keep changing so often to try and beat him. He's in the only division where every team is focused on one thing, beating him. He's got them talking to themselves.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry will not have the final say when he is 6 feet under until then no one around the star who is there day in and day out covering this team seems to think Jerry no longer is in charge. Even Stephen has said that his dad does trust him more today and his views than he has in the past but there is only 1 top boss and that is Jerry Jones
I agree he is the one top boss. But I disagree because he is 2 intelligent not to take other people's insight. I'm sure many of his final decisions weren't his decision at all. Best way to say it just his announcement

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree, the HC is mediocre and will need a little luck on his side to win it all or talent that can't be stopped like Ditka, Billick and Gruden had, which I also consider mediocre. And those three were able to sustain nothing. Gruden was lucky to be playing his old team and old playbook in the SB.

The most glaring problem that Booger didn't see coming was that FA would create a higher need for a superior HC to uneven the playing field. One that could understand the difference between coaching in the pre FA days and what is now in place. I do not think either Johnson or Parcells are that and I think they know it which is why they walked away. I also think Landry might have struggled with this as well and probably Noll.

If this was easier, more than one HC would have figured it out. He's got the only team that doesn't seem to cycle in and out. That's why we're seeing this division winners changing so much season to season. And Belichick has the best team in the worst division but that's because they keep changing so often to try and beat him. He's in the only division where every team is focused on one thing, beating him. He's got them talking to themselves.
As long as Jason Garrett doesn't screw up the 2-minute drill there's not much he can do to hurt this team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you have any evidence to the contrary? I’d love to see it.

All details of the trade were spelled out by Stephen Jones in a radio interview.
https://1053thefan.radio.com/

Your lack of knowledge does not undo the fact that the interview did indeed happen.

It's not everyone else's responsibility to record radio interviews because you don't bother to listen to them.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Every team builds their team to beat the top team in their division. You have to make the playoffs in order to win in the playoffs. But I understand your point. Teams go to the Super Bowl and then not heard from again for three more seasons. That's parody that's the salary cap. I have been saying for some time now. 2B 8/8 many seasons as we have that's actually a great accomplishment. Especially when not getting top draft picks. NFL Network's just now speaking of this

cern

Reaction score
Good news is it's just 52 days until the opening of dove season in the great state of texas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team builds their team to beat the top team in their division. You have to make the playoffs in order to win in the playoffs. But I understand your point. Teams go to the Super Bowl and then not heard from again for three more seasons. That's parody that's the salary cap. I have been saying for some time now. 2B 8/8 many seasons as we have that's actually a great accomplishment. Especially when not getting top draft picks. NFL Network's just now speaking of this
I do not agree that every team builds their team to beat the division winner because no other division has ever been dominated like the Pats with the AFC East.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good news is it's just 52 days until the opening of dove season in the great state of texas.
I am printing and posting this on as many trees in Texas as I can. It's OK, go ahead and blast the illiterate ones, they're bringing down the collective IQ anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All details of the trade were spelled out by Stephen Jones in a radio interview.
https://1053thefan.radio.com/

Your lack of knowledge does not undo the fact that the interview did indeed happen.

It's not everyone else's responsibility to record radio interviews because you don't bother to listen to them.
Does it include Jerry is relinquishing his GM position and naming Stephen now running Cowboys Football?

Otherwise it means nothing. You’re just interpreting that Stephen has taken over.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is starting to become people hate Jerry and love Steven. Well that's not it for me. Intelligence is listening to intelligence surrounding yourself with people smarter than you. Without putting Jerry down. Is that what it means to like someone else and think they're doing it. I don't think so personally
I agree.

I think it’s more about fans wanting to believe Jerry isn’t as involved. It somehow provides them more hope I guess.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does include Jerry is relinquishing his GM position and naming Stephen now running Cowboys Football?

Otherwise it means nothing. You’re just interpreting that Stephen has taken over.

I replied to your post specifically about the Cooper trade.

You said is there any evidence.

Now you are backpedaling at 100mph.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I replied to your post specifically about the Cooper trade.

You said is there any evidence.

Now you are backpedaling at 100mph.
Oh I’d forgotten. Sorry. I’ve been busy today.

Are you saying Jerry wasn’t involved in that trade?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh I’d forgotten. Sorry. I’ve been busy today.

Are you saying Jerry wasn’t involved in that trade?
31-F6-BD84-1-E35-4-BBF-9-E19-D9737-DB04-CEB.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you have to start with one fact and work off that for how this team is run. Booger is a part time GM and only does what he wants to do, the fun stuff. It is also a family run business so it stands to reason that family members such as Son as going to have more involvement and increased influence.

I think Booger & Son discuss everything about the cap and talent on the team like Booger discusses the sales and marketing aspects with his other son.

Any part time GM is going to be dependent on others for the heavy lifting and jobs the GM either doesn't have time to do or want to do. But in my opinion, anyone thinking Booger has turned over the decision making to anyone else on the important matters, hasn't really watched him. That's not in his makeup, he will make the decisions and he will take the heat for them. He has no problem doing that and will step up and make excuses for any employee.

As far as changing his mind, he does it all the time, think other GM's don't? They just haven't spoken to the media about it because he's the only one that does that. Hanging events like Phillips, Owens or Bryant getting cut on Son like he overstepped his Dad is ludicrous to me. When Parcells left, Booger was adamant about staying with the 3/4, what happened? Booger speaks first and then thinks about it and gets influenced by what others that he trusts think.

What leads some to think his son must be taking over is because he can't keep his mouth shut about anything and has to change a lot of the things he says. He's had so many brain trap slips that I can't keep up and don't even bother trying. I do not care what he or his son say, it is what they do that matters. They both like to talk a lot which is exactly why you do not see any other owners or GMs friendly with the media. If they don't talk to them, they don't have to explain why they're telling them something different now.

cern

Reaction score
I am printing and posting this on as many trees in Texas as I can. It's OK, go ahead and blast the illiterate ones, they're bringing down the collective IQ anyway.
My property is posted. Trespassers will be shot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you have to start with one fact and work off that for how this team is run. Booger is a part time GM and only does what he wants to do, the fun stuff. It is also a family run business so it stands to reason that family members such as Son as going to have more involvement and increased influence.

I think Booger & Son discuss everything about the cap and talent on the team like Booger discusses the sales and marketing aspects with his other son.

Any part time GM is going to be dependent on others for the heavy lifting and jobs the GM either doesn't have time to do or want to do. But in my opinion, anyone thinking Booger has turned over the decision making to anyone else on the important matters, hasn't really watched him. That's not in his makeup, he will make the decisions and he will take the heat for them. He has no problem doing that and will step up and make excuses for any employee.

As far as changing his mind, he does it all the time, think other GM's don't? They just haven't spoken to the media about it because he's the only one that does that. Hanging events like Phillips, Owens or Bryant getting cut on Son like he overstepped his Dad is ludicrous to me. When Parcells left, Booger was adamant about staying with the 3/4, what happened? Booger speaks first and then thinks about it and gets influenced by what others that he trusts think.

What leads some to think his son must be taking over is because he can't keep his mouth shut about anything and has to change a lot of the things he says. He's had so many brain trap slips that I can't keep up and don't even bother trying. I do not care what he or his son say, it is what they do that matters. They both like to talk a lot which is exactly why you do not see any other owners or GMs friendly with the media. If they don't talk to them, they don't have to explain why they're telling them something different now.

The way I see it is if Stephen is calling the shots more we were how close to a disastrous season at 3-4 until Jerry stormed out of the press box to fuel the trade for Cooper.

Stephens most notable contributions have been toughness on Cap which probably includes Murray and Dez being cut which without suitable replacements steered us off course.

If that’s an example of his influence then the Cheapskate Son label I’ve given him applies and I’d rather go with Jerry’s riverboat gambler way with Jason influencing more personnel decisions while Will is lining up potential prospects .

And if Stephen doesn’t have anymore influence on our coaching staff decisions then he can hit the road as far as I’m concerned. Surely we could find someone else to manage contract signings without his input in personnel decisions. Stephen didn’t even play football so I don’t trust his eye for talent. He thought Randle was ok and we’d be fine without Dez.. Screw him..

I’ve argued for years Jerry jr and Char are the brighter kids and probably why Jerry has kept his less apt son closer to him and reluctant to turn it over. Lol

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree.

I think it’s more about fans wanting to believe Jerry isn’t as involved. It somehow provides them more hope I guess.
I didn't realize people thought I was disrespecting Jerry when I said he's not in charge. Of course he's in charge but I think he has intelligent surrounding force that helps him that's all I was trying to say thanks for understanding

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree he is the one top boss. But I disagree because he is 2 intelligent not to take other people's insight. I'm sure many of his final decisions weren't his decision at all. Best way to say it just his announcement

Jerry according to BP listen to those around him, that is why they were hired. He is not looking for yes men he wants honest evaluation. In the case of Manziel there was no one other than Jerry pushing the pick, now he could have just said I'm the man and we will do what I want instead he took the consensus and went with Martin. Being the man in charge does not mean ignoring others it means at the end of the day you are the final say and you are the one who will be scrutinized for it. Unfortunately, there are people here who will only place blame on Jerry but will never credit him for the players chosen.