The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more and that comment Garrett made in a post game interview "it's hard to win in the NFL" really wasn't an excuse, it was fact. This is a sport that turns over 20-25% of the HC's every season as proof.

What makes Belichick better than anyone else is that they just hope they don't lose key players and he plans on it. There is no other team in the last 20 years that believes in "next man up" like he does. And that "just do your job" isn't a catch phrase, they live that. He understands that players get themselves in trouble worrying about the other guy, we see that all the time and we've seen how that affects our own players.

Reading what his players have said about the tests he gives before game days explains why he's the only one that can change it up and play it anyway you want it. Want a shoot out in KC? OK Want a D game in the SB? OK

People that lay all of this on his QB mystify me. He's great and definitely one of the best to ever play the game but if Brady is on another team and Belichick has to play it with another QB, I believe he will be just as successful. I don't think he failed in CLE as much as he learned.
It’s been a great combination. Arguably the greatest HC/QB combo of all time. With the greatest defensive Guru of this era with the most clutch QB of this era.

They both have bailed each other out along the way. Neither would have had the success without the other. They’re both workaholics.

And if Bill was smart he’d retire when Tom does. We’ll always have those for their own personal agendas and opinions trying to spin one is greater or more important. Unfortunately we’ve only seen what Bill is without Brady not the other.

Bill was a SB Champion DC and probably upper echelon HC before Brady stepped on the field. But I doubt he’d had the success with a Bledsoe or a Cassel who for example couldn’t make the playoffs with a defending SB team.

I see those who obviously have issue with Brady attempting to elevate Bill. We only need to look to our illustrious history for a great reminder how critical individual talent and impact can compliment great coaching with Landry Legend who took 4 different QB’s to championship appearances ( only HC in NFL history with such a feat) in his system but only 1 QB won it all.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m sure there’s much truth to that but winning the division isn’t the only way into the playoffs.

Even if the other teams conceded losing division to Pats they’d never have to play first place schedule and could still have winning record in division sweeping other two teams while playing lesser conference teams .

Maybe if their entire mission was just to beat the Pats might have been shortsighted or misguided .
I agree, there are just too many scenarios to mention in one little post. Thank you for expanding, there are some very classy people on this new Cowboys fan forum. That's how the old one was people just showed respect. And when you got the clowns we would laugh them off LOL I can't believe how many Eagle fans come here.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s been a great combination. Arguably the greatest HC/QB combo of all time. With the greatest defensive Guru of this era with the most clutch QB of this era.

They both have bailed each other out along the way. Neither would have had the success without the other. They’re both workaholics.

And if Bill was smart he’d retire when Tom does. We’ll always have those for their own personal agendas and opinions trying to spin one is greater or more important. Unfortunately we’ve only seen what Bill is without Brady not the other.

Bill was a SB Champion DC and probably upper echelon HC before Brady stepped on the field. But I doubt he’d had the success with a Bledsoe or a Cassel who for example couldn’t make the playoffs with a defending SB team.

I see those who obviously have issue with Brady attempting to elevate Bill. We only need to look to our illustrious history for a great reminder how critical individual talent and impact can compliment great coaching with Landry Legend who took 4 different QB’s to championship appearances ( only HC in NFL history with such a feat) in his system but only 1 QB won it all.
Belichick > Brady.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Steven Jones has showed me that he is frugal. Whether he has nfl gm skills is another matter. Hopefully he will get sick of losing and hire a real gm and a coaching staff that doesnt have to learn on the job.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think it's common sense, based on the decisions of late. gm is just a title.

Name all these decisions, based on actual facts and not opinions, that Stephen made and or made with the green light from Jerry. So many people here dislike Jerry so they believe anything that makes them feel better. Again unless anyone here has actually listened in to the conversations between Jerry and Stephen it's all guess work, opinions or wishful thinking.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You still don't get it my cowboy brother. Just because everybody thinks it's Jerry and Jerry alone doesn't make it true.

I'll say it again. NOBODY here, again NOBODY here is privy to the conversations between Jerry and Stephen and it's only guess work, opinions or wishful thing that Jerry isn't still running things.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The same can be said about. It's all Jerry unless you sit on on it you don't know. So it's just your opinion and mine

The problem with that statement is Jerry IS THE GM recognized by the league so the presumption that he is still running things is valid.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So until it's in writing you don't buy it. That's comical come on. You're smarter than that. Like Jerry is going to lose his throne and admit it. Jerry is an extremely intelligent individual. That means he's willing to listen to other intelligent people even if that means you realize their decision is better. So I guess because you take someone else's opinion over his own he still in charge. Too funny. It's an organizational mindset I believe that's the difference.

Every SMART CEO/president of companies listen to and takes advice from trusted employees. Because Jerry has over the years started to listen to Stephen and McClay before making his decisions does not mean that he isn't still making the decisions. Because he gets convinced by others to do something or not to do something, the decision is still his to be made. Do you actual think after Stephen and Jerry have long discussions on something Jerry would let Stephen make a final decision on something he is adamantly opposed to or would he say no to it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'll say it again. NOBODY here, again NOBODY here is privy to the conversations between Jerry and Stephen and it's only guess work, opinions or wishful thing that Jerry isn't still running things.
Hey, if you choose to believe the doom and gloom kill myself take, then more the power to you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh common! Garret was absolutely making an excuse. When you lose and come out with a comment like that........what else could it be? It wasn't hard for the other team to win? Every team in this league faces challenges and difficulties. Garret gets more opportunities to fail than most. No teams outside of Cincy have hung on to a coach after 8 futile seasons.

Belechek took Cleveland to the playoffs. That alone is an incredible feat.
Stop calling me common.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Hey, if you choose to believe the doom and gloom kill myself take, then more the power to you.

I'm not a big Jerry fan but there is ZERO, ZIP, NADA verifiable proof that Jerry isn't still running things. What we have is a lot of conjecture, guess work, wishful thinking that he isn't. When either the league lists someone else as GM or some verifiable quote from Jerry stating that he isn't running things then to say he sisn't is BS.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh common! Garret was absolutely making an excuse. When you lose and come out with a comment like that........what else could it be? It wasn't hard for the other team to win? Every team in this league faces challenges and difficulties. Garret gets more opportunities to fail than most. No teams outside of Cincy have hung on to a coach after 8 futile seasons.

Belechek took Cleveland to the playoffs. That alone is an incredible feat.

Belicheat has been great in NE but lets put his total record in cleveland up here. He had 3 losing seasons before that ONE playoff year and then the next year he had another losing record. So 4 losing years and one playoff year and never once winning the division.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more and that comment Garrett made in a post game interview "it's hard to win in the NFL" really wasn't an excuse, it was fact. This is a sport that turns over 20-25% of the HC's every season as proof.

What makes Belichick better than anyone else is that they just hope they don't lose key players and he plans on it. There is no other team in the last 20 years that believes in "next man up" like he does. And that "just do your job" isn't a catch phrase, they live that. He understands that players get themselves in trouble worrying about the other guy, we see that all the time and we've seen how that affects our own players.

Reading what his players have said about the tests he gives before game days explains why he's the only one that can change it up and play it anyway you want it. Want a shoot out in KC? OK Want a D game in the SB? OK

People that lay all of this on his QB mystify me. He's great and definitely one of the best to ever play the game but if Brady is on another team and Belichick has to play it with another QB, I believe he will be just as successful. I don't think he failed in CLE as much as he learned.
Its the chicken or the egg debate. It's like that for a lot of great QB/coach combinations.

BB was 5-11 his 1st year with the pats. He was 0-2 to start his 2nd season when Bledsoe went down in game 2. So its not just his Cleveland days why some give Brady the credit. Who's to say if Bledsoe didn't get hurt they'd pull off what they did with Brady. Or if it was another QB besides Brady. If the season kept on track like the the first 2 games and the previous season, he might not even been the coach in 2002.

I think both could've been successful alone but to say BB would be just as successful with another QB, 6 rings, 9 super bowl appearances, however many championship appearances, playoffs every year except 2, so on and so on, is little silly and giving him too much credit.

They'd be good, or maybe even great without each other, but to say either would have the same success as they have had together is over the top considering we've never seen this type of success before.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm not a big Jerry fan but there is ZERO, ZIP, NADA verifiable proof that Jerry isn't still running things. What we have is a lot of conjecture, guess work, wishful thinking that he isn't. When either the league lists someone else as GM or some verifiable quote from Jerry stating that he isn't running things then to say he sisn't is BS.
There is a plethora of proof but you’re just blinded by your hate.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belicheat has been great in NE but lets put his total record in cleveland up here. He had 3 losing seasons before that ONE playoff year and then the next year he had another losing record. So 4 losing years and one playoff year and never once winning the division.

I don't need to defend Belechek's record. It speaks quite nicely for itself and will one day land him in the HOF. Garret is a bumbling moron in comparison.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, but he wasn't given a chance to build long enough. I mean, the sold the team for God Sake.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I say it again I don't care you're wrong. Believe what you want to believe. It's a team it's a franchise it's an organization it's not a Jerry Jones and you just repeated what I written to you. You do get that right. You said exactly what I said. Maybe you didn't bother reading