The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Jerry buys the groceries, signs the checks, and announces lineups and injury reports. He even does pre and post game interviews.

Not only is Jerry still running the team, he's also the HC. Why even have Garrett in place when Jerry is doing his job for him?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do you think Stephen will rise up and grab the Lombardi out of Jerry’s hand claiming he’s been running Cowboys Football ?

And why hasn’t Jerry admitted to turning over more control to Stephen ? Is Jerry that evil??
Stephen has more respect for his dad than that. Jerry's ego won't allow him to admit more control has been given to Stephen. How is that evil? It's just pure ego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen has more respect for his dad than that. Jerry's ego won't allow him to admit more control has been given to Stephen. How is that evil? It's just pure ego.
So, Jerry’s going to take credit for his son running Cowboys Football ? You really believe that?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Stephen rises up to take more credit than Daddy for running Cowboys Football will Jerry fire his son?

Still I have no one who will address why Jerry has refused to publicly acknowledge Stephen is running Cowboys Football.
EGO!

John813

Reaction score
I think Jerry has always listened going back to Jimmy and Bill. He just isn’t always convinced to go against his instincts.

To Jimmy and Bill, sure.

But between those two, he only listened to himself IMO.
And then between Bill and Garrett/McClay and Stephen getting more of a role, I think he went back to that one man show. I doubt Phillips ever persuaded him over anything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So now Parcell's was in the war room with you and Jerry when the decision was made on Manziel? Thanks for this great insider perspective. :rolleyes:

No he worked for Jerry did you? Jerry himself talked about wanting to get Manziel yet Dallas did not so why? Evidently you lack any sense what so ever.

The morning of the draft, Jerry wanted to run through the Cowboys prospects and tried to get Stephen to agree to take Manziel.

"I'll never forget that morning," recalls Stephen. "Jerry said, 'Let's go through the [prospects] again, make sure we all see eye to eye on how we've got 'em ranked.'" If Manziel was still there at 16, the patriarch added, "I assume we'd take him--wouldn't we?"

Replied Stephen, with some delicacy, "Well, I don't think we would."

The two struck a deal: If any of three players -- Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr or Ryan Shazier -- were available to the Cowboys they wouldn't take Manziel. But Stephen wanted to add one more name.

"And Zack," Stephen reminded his father. Indeed, Dallas had Notre Dame guard Zack Martin higher on its board than Manziel. But Jerry wasn't making any promises.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...icism-of-cowboys-not-drafting-johnny-manziel/

Now Stephen was there this is what he had to say.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To Jimmy and Bill, sure.

But between those two, he only listened to himself IMO.
And then between Bill and Garrett/McClay and Stephen getting more of a role, I think he went back to that one man show. I doubt Phillips ever persuaded him over anything.
I’d agree with lesser influences he wasn’t as convinced to go against his instincts.

But Stephen has been by his side in the same role all of these years. Why was he just recently given more credit and now being credited by some of running Cowboys Football which is the core issue I’m disputing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you are now here to argue with your own narrative?
Now your being funny.

I’m still waiting on someone to tell me why all of a sudden after all of these years Stephen has been by his side that Jerry is letting Stephen run Cowboys Football but not giving him public acknowledgement.

This appears to me and why I’m presenting it to be a false narrative and belief by a segment of fans.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No he worked for Jerry did you? Jerry himself talked about wanting to get Manziel yet Dallas did not so why? Evidently you lack any sense what so ever.

The morning of the draft, Jerry wanted to run through the Cowboys prospects and tried to get Stephen to agree to take Manziel.

"I'll never forget that morning," recalls Stephen. "Jerry said, 'Let's go through the [prospects] again, make sure we all see eye to eye on how we've got 'em ranked.'" If Manziel was still there at 16, the patriarch added, "I assume we'd take him--wouldn't we?"

Replied Stephen, with some delicacy, "Well, I don't think we would."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...icism-of-cowboys-not-drafting-johnny-manziel/

Now Stephen was there this is what he had to say.
You make this as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Dallas didn't comply with Jerry's wishes to draft Manziel because he's no longer in charge. That decision went Stephen's way. Hmmm, go figure.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That’s your perception . Which is fine. You’re certainly entitled . But it’s not official nor a proven commodity.
Another head in the sand bloviation. Cover your eyes and ears and repeat these words... "na na na na na na." Tantamount to what you are doing to not see the truth about Stephen now being the decision maker.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Is he solely running the GM spot? Nope.

I do believe Jerry is letting McClay and Stephen have more of a say in operations though.
And I do believe he's willing to be overruled if both say hell no to an idea, with Stephen having more of a say over McClay.

I can buy this. Besides Jerry should be busy with his new energy toy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You make this as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Dallas didn't comply with Jerry's wishes to draft Manziel because he's no longer in charge. That decision went Stephen's way. Hmmm, go figure.

Stephen is in charge? when did he buy the football team. Stephen clearly has major input but he is not the owner of this team his father is.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Jerry buys the groceries, signs the checks, and announces lineups and injury reports. He even does pre and post game interviews.

Not only is Jerry still running the team, he's also the HC. Why even have Garrett in place when Jerry is doing his job for him?
Agreed, and according to clowns like Cole Beasley, he also decides where and how often the ball is thrown.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The false perception is that one person is running Cowboys football. The Jones Family runs it. They hire all of the employees and delegate (or not) as they see fit. Arguing over degrees of responsibility is pointless because no one here knows.

"You think you know, but you don't know." - Jim Mora

John813

Reaction score
I’d agree with lesser influences he wasn’t as convinced to go against his instincts.

But Stephen has been by his side in the same role all of these years. Why was he just recently given more credit and now being credited by some of running Cowboys Football which is the core issue I’m disputing.

My opinion is that Jerry has welcomed more voices in the room to get one more ring.
McClay at one point started making an impression on them and I think Stephen has put in some work to be allowed to have a bigger voice over the years.