*** The Fire Garrett/Coaches Thread **merged**

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s an absolute indictment against our coaches. Indefensible.

Anyone with half a brain and is honest with themselves understands this.

I think deep down Jerry even understands this but he's too emotionally invested in Garrett to make the hard but correct choice.

He'll use injuries as an excuse and possibly offer up a sacrificial lamb like an assistant coach or two to try to appease the fanbase.

But none of this is changing until the entire coaching staff is gutted.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Please answer this question for me...

Why is it easier, in my opinion, to fire a college football coach than it is to fire an NFL coach? Being a Cornhusker fan, I have spent the last 10 or so years reading message boards, surfing media outlets and listening to sports talk radio shows, in the Omaha area, on the many apps that stream these stations for free. The one deciding factor is always the fan base and whether or not they are content with the current staff or if they're disgruntled and embarrassed with the product on the field. I understand that university athletics rely on donations from alumni and supporters so those voices are heard above all others. But above anything else, when the fan base is upset with the product on the field, the AD listens.

Yes, the NFL is different in that the team is owned by an individual(s) whom invested their own money to purchase the team. However, the fans are also 'donors' and 'supporters'. Us fans purchase the team's merchandise, purchase tickets to games, watching televised games to help increase revenue and buy the products of their sponsors. In my opinion, the fan's voice means a lot more to an NFL team than it does to a college team. A donor/supported of a college will always back the school no matter how awful the team is. Now, they may not be quiet but they will always write that check to their alma mater.

There's no doubt that Jerry can see that his fan base isn't happy. The constant mediocrity isn't what us fans have grown to expect from the Dallas Cowboys and, because of that, things need to change. I just don't understand why it's so hard to axe this clown. If he was the coach of Alabama, and put this same product on the field week in and week out, his butt would at home and on his couch.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Garrett is NOT a head coach. Take away one great player.

His team gets trashed!

No adjustments.
No favorable matchups.
No outcoaching.

Nothing!

The sorry state of affairs.... 20 plus years and running.....

Sydla

Reaction score
Please answer this question for me...

Why is it easier, in my opinion, to fire a college football coach than it is to fire an NFL coach? Being a Cornhusker fan, I have spent the last 10 or so years reading message boards, surfing media outlets and listening to sports talk radio shows, in the Omaha area, on the many apps that stream these stations for free. The one deciding factor is always the fan base and whether or not they are content with the current staff or if they're disgruntled and embarrassed with the product on the field. I understand that university athletics rely on donations from alumni and supporters so those voices are heard above all others. But above anything else, when the fan base is upset with the product on the field, the AD listens.

Yes, the NFL is different in that the team is owned by an individual(s) whom invested their own money to purchase the team. However, the fans are also 'donors' and 'supporters'. Us fans purchase the team's merchandise, purchase tickets to games, watching televised games to help increase revenue and buy the products of their sponsors. In my opinion, the fan's voice means a lot more to an NFL team than it does to a college team. A donor/supported of a college will always back the school no matter how awful the team is. Now, they may not be quiet but they will always write that check to their alma mater.

There's no doubt that Jerry can see that his fan base isn't happy. The constant mediocrity isn't what us fans have grown to expect from the Dallas Cowboys and, because of that, things need to change. I just don't understand why it's so hard to axe this clown. If he was the coach of Alabama, and put this same product on the field week in and week out, his butt would at home and on his couch.

Its easy to fire a pro coach.

It's just tough when that coach is basically your 3rd son.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Whether Garrett is a good coach or a bad one doesn't even matter anymore. He's been given more then enough time. If players shouldn't make excuses then neither should coaches, especially if you never won anything in the past. Time for me to move on from Garrett.

Cowboys are done, going to the playoffs would only end with a nasty embarrassment.

Go Lakers & Islanders!

odog422

Reaction score
Anyone with half a brain and is honest with themselves understands this.

I think deep down Jerry even understands this but he's too emotionally invested in Garrett to make the hard but correct choice.

He'll use injuries as an excuse and possibly offer up a sacrificial lamb like an assistant coach or two to try to appease the fanbase.

But none of this is changing until the entire coaching staff is gutted.
He’s not emotionally invested in garrett, he’s pridefully invested, backed up by millions of dollars of salary.

He tried to put every single piece in place for him to succeed - former head coaches to coach up the offense and defense, remove as much responsibility from him as possible and leave him with only a narrow window of actual hands on duties -clock management, throw challenge flags and hopefully just oversee without negatively impacting the game as he had done when more directly involved. Alas, there really is a reason you need a head coach with experience and real success in coaching.

Remember our offense was best when Sparano held his hand or when Tony improvised. Garrett has never demonstrated anything more than the ability to recite coaching platitudes. Any successes attempted to be tied to him are inferred. His direct fingerprints for any of our successes don’t exist.

Giving up on garrett is an admission by jerry that he totally screwed the pooch and wasted the careers of Romo Witten et al. in an attempt to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. It’s going to have to hit the pockets to motivate action. This is high stakes because it’s not about the success of the team. It’s about his ego.

Last edited:

bysbox1

Reaction score
It is the culture the Owner has created. How he was able to pull it off is pure genius. But that is who Jerry is. Make people believe something that is actually not true. This organization has not come CLOSE to winning since Jimmy Johnson influence has left the building...but the way we make money and stay relevant...you would think we are perennial contenders. When you have a new stadium to build, a new practice facility to build, sushi to sell, panties to sell, craft beer to sell, fine art to put on display...you have to find a way to sell it. And to be able to sell all of this WITHOUT having to win football games...Jerry should write a book. I really would love to go inside the minds of fans to understand what they see when they watch this team over the past 20 years. Maybe they just started following the team in the past 10 yeas. But for those that have been fans since the 70s....we know a fraud when we see one. And I have REFUSED to set foot in that new stadium until we are being run like a professional football organization. Don't have to win every year. Don't have to be contenders every year. But we need to operate like a PROFESSIONAL football organization. But with all the sacred cows, puppets, Jerry giving Will McClay everything but the title of GM....that proves we are still a circus.

I thought we were close with Parcells. He brought in a lot of good players either through draft or free agency, got us Romo, Witten, Terence Newman, D. Ware, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Marion Barber, Kevin Burnett, Chris Canty, and the second tier players were good. I mean, Parcells got us to a playoffs with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick.

I never knew why Parcells left, but I get the feeling Jerry's ego go in they way, again.

Once we didn't make a play to keep Sean Payton and Parcells left I knew were were in for mediocrity.

CWR

Reaction score
Time to start a petition lol. Im so sick of this coaching staff. I played nice for years. Eventually the excuses grow stale. They have had MORE time than most, patience was exercised and yet we sit here looking at another flip flop season for Garret and co. He CAN NOT establish a winning culture period. Mediocrity at its finest. The last two weeks have been two of the darkest weeks as a fan I have ever had in my storied Cowboy watching career. Such high hopes make the fall so much harder.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Its easy to fire a pro coach.

It's just tough when that coach is basically your 3rd son.

LOL. Well, I guess that I was raised differently. My Dad is harder on me than anyone and I owe everything that I've accomplished in life to him. If I wasn't good enough, my butt sat on the bench until I could prove him otherwise.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Amazing. The guy tells us all the time he has nothing to do with the on-field success of this team. "Thank God Romo fell in our laps." "Thank God Dak fell in our laps." "If I had a GM who had not produced the way I haven't, I'd have fired him by now."

Well Romo was a byproduct of the Parcells/Sean Payton era. I believe Payton saw Rome when he was QB coach at Illinois. As I said before, When Jerry let Payton go then Parcells left after 2006 I knew we were done for.

He’s not emotionally invested in garrett, he’s pridefully invested, backed up by millions of dollars of salary.

He tried to put every single piece in place for him to succeed - former head coaches to coach up the offense and defense, remove as much responsibility from him as possible and leave him with only a narrow window of actual hands on duties -clock management, throw challenge flags and hopefully just oversee without negatively impacting the game as he had done when more directly involved. Alas, there really is a reason you need a head coach with experience and real success in coaching.

Remember our offense was best when Sparano held his hand or when Tony improvised. Garrett has never demonstrated anything more than the ability to recite coaching platitudes. Any successes attempted to be tied to him are inferred. His direct fingerprints for any of our successes don’t exist.

Giving up on garrett is an admission by jerry that he totally screwed the pooch and wasted the careers of Romo Witten et al. In an attempt to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. It’s going to have to hit the pockets to motivate action. This is high stakes because it’s not about the success of the team. It’s about his ego.

Jerry gave Garrett way too many crutches simply because he was not ready. Heck, even Sean McVay had more experience coaching out of the gate than Garrett. And while I know Garrett played in the league for years it's not the same as coaching on a week by week basis.

If Jerry wants to fix this while he has a contending team he would realize what he's doing does work and has not worked for years. That's not happening any time soon.

Last edited:

diefree666

Reaction score

Giving up on garrett is an admission by jerry that he totally screwed the pooch and wasted the careers of Romo Witten et al. in an attempt to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. It’s going to have to hit the pockets to motivate action. This is high stakes because it’s not about the success of the team. It’s about his ego.
I think its both pride and emotion. Though its hard to tell which is more important to Jerry. I think it really depends on the time of day and how much he has had to drink.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I thought we were close with Parcells. He brought in a lot of good players either through draft or free agency, got us Romo, Witten, Terence Newman, D. Ware, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Marion Barber, Kevin Burnett, Chris Canty, and the second tier players were good. I mean, Parcells got us to a playoffs with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick.

I never knew why Parcells left, but I get the feeling Jerry's ego go in they way, again.

Once we didn't make a play to keep Sean Payton and Parcells left I knew were were in for mediocrity.
Parcells was great at the time. But he never even won a playoff game. I think had he let Sean Payton...be Sean Payton....we would have had more success. But again...Parcells allowed Jerry to build his new stadium. Jerry even admits that is why he hired Parcells...he needed credibility to build fund new stadium. I think Jerry adding TO to this team and the Romo fumble is why Parcells left. His tank was empty. But his influence remained in the short term. We went 13 - 3 the next year...and SHOULD have been in the Super Bowl...but once again...we failed to win a playoff game. There was the infamous Cabo trip. It is just one incident after another with this team. Instead of building on the momentum from last year...we blow the draft...do nothing in free agency....Zeke shows up in the tabloids every week...and we are right back to being a laughing stock.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
GROG..

It's been 4 years that this fool has overstayed his time. I've been saying that for that long as well. This whole coaching staff needs to be shown the door. But, it won't matter. As long as The Jones' family runs this disaster, nothing changes.