The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lions drafted Okudah at #3 and he stunk it up. Diggs outperformed Okudah. What makes you think Surtain is a sure thing? Like last year with Diggs, maybe the best CB in the draft can be obtained in the 2nd round.

Pick the best player available regardless of position or current need.

Or 3rd round. I happen to think that Adebo might be the best CB in the draft, and we could very easily pick him up in round 3. This allows Sewell to be the pick if he's available.

Dre11

Reaction score
Anthony Brown is a very good #2CB wether you like it or not. He has always been a good player which is why he was retained. Same goes for Lewis. He is a top 5 slot corner. Did he have a down year, yes but who didn't with ZERO in the middle of this defense. We need guys to collapse the pocket and stop the run end of story.

Both Brown and Lewis can't start outside. Are you seriously saying they can...lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?

We have posters on here telling us that CB is not an important position in our new defense. Not buying it. Most will say anything to push the Pitts agenda.

Every year you get the "draft offense" guys. Real football over fantasy football.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Surtain turns out to be the shutdown corner some expect him to be,I have no issue drafting him. My only concern May be the lack of interceptions. A total of 4 , I believe.

I haven’t watched enough of his games but perhaps the other teams were throwing away from him, much like what happened with Jalen Ramsey in college. This team has desperately needed a ball hawk in the secondary for a long time

Surtain isnt in the Ramsey class, but how many are? Surtain and Diggs would be a heck of a duo on the outside. Add a rangy ballhawk safety at some point and this could be one of the best young secondaries in the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The draft is not the last resort to get a starting CB opposite Diggs. There will be chances to add a veteran and the draft is deep at CB. There will still be good ones available in round 2. You simply cannot pass on a blue chip player for a lesser player because of need. That is the recipe for mediocrity. If you have them rated similarly, then yes go for the bigger need.
The ONLY reason a guy like Surtain is pushed down to around the 8-13 best prospect in this draft is because an overabundance of QB's projected to go in the top 10(5). Then add in a generational type talent at TE, and 2 or 3 WR's.

In a normal year where there arent all these highly valued offensive guys, a guy like Surtain would be the 5 or 6th guy off the board. The fact that we may have a shot at the top defensive guy in the draft at 10 is a gift we simply cant pass up.

Surtain is a GREAT CB prospect. Despite what some claim on here.

Its arguably our biggest area of need as well. Its a perfect scenario. To take a WR or TE at this spot would be a monumental misuse of a draft asset.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dont know if a blue chipper will still be there at 10, but if there is one, you draft them.

Blue chipper!! And Surtain isnt a blue chipper?

How many times have we heard people call prospects blue chippers and they bust out or dont perform up to the "blue chipper" status?

Sydla

Reaction score
Neither do I now, but on draft day not many was too happy.

I don't remember it like that at all. I seem to recall Martin was a fairly popular pick. People were afraid Jerry was going to do something stupid and take Manziel when the smart pick was Martin. If there was disappointment, it was that Donald went before our pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Brown has and can start outside with zero problem. Again, Lewis a top 5 slot corner.

What do you mean by "zero problem"? Yes, he can play outside. No, he doesn't play it all that well.

Lewis is a Top 5 slot corner? Based on what?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Blue chipper!! And Surtain isnt a blue chipper?

How many times have we heard people call prospects blue chippers and they bust out or dont perform up to the "blue chipper" status?
I dont know, why dont you tell me why Surtain is a blue chipper,, I never said if he was or wasnt.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Slater is your day one starting left guard.

Everyone said the same thing about NYG OT Andrew Thomas last year. Not even close. He was trash his rookie year and a day one starter only because the Giants had no one else and the team didn't want to look foolish so they started him anyway.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Exactly, I fully expect Sewell to go to Cincy, so that point is probably moot. As for Pitts, I'd take Surtain over him. Pitts is a generational talent, but he doesn't really offer anything that we don't already have on this team. ALso, I expect him to be in Miami.

So, Schultz and Jarwin are generational talents, basically the same as Pitts?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, Schultz and Jarwin are generational talents, basically the same as Pitts?

I'm not saying that they are. I'm just saying, we have a lot of firepower as it is. I won't be angry if we got Pitts. However, we need defence or oline more than we do Pitts is all I'm saying.

Dre11

Reaction score
I don't remember it like that at all. I seem to recall Martin was a fairly popular pick. People were afraid Jerry was going to do something stupid and take Manziel when the smart pick was Martin. If there was disappointment, it was that Donald went before our pick.

Hardline

Reaction score
Everyone said the same thing about NYG OT Andrew Thomas last year. Not even close. He was trash his rookie year and a day one starter only because the Giants had no one else and the team didn't want to look foolish so they started him anyway.
That wasn't Slater.

Dre11

Reaction score
Brown has and can start outside with zero problem. Again, Lewis a top 5 slot corner.

And he sucked when he started outside , you're freaking crazy. Cowboys have done everything they can to find a starter with Brown on the roster...lol

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree some what, I don't think that should stop them from still using FA to fill holes. I think past mistakes spooked has them.
To sign a significant FA, we'd have to put most of the money even further down the road. At some point, this comes back to haunt you. And we're simply not one player away on D.