The Great Dakbate

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am about the same place but, open mind with a side of pessimism or lack of expectation.

There really is nothing more to discuss. 8 weeks til trial by fire opening with Panthers, NYG (who he as consistently struggled with), and Seattle.
Yep. For some reason he gets nervous against the giants. We will give them a heavy dose of Elliot. If shelli is still playing qb I won’t worry. Lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am about the same place but, open mind with a side of pessimism or lack of expectation.

There really is nothing more to discuss. 8 weeks til trial by fire opening with Panthers, NYG (who he as consistently struggled with), and Seattle.

I agree those are some tough games and my hope is that not only does Dak step up but the team in general step up and win these games. I'm not looking for someone to carry the team, I'm looking for a team who is ready to take the next step and play quality ball on both side of the ball.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree those are some tough games and my hope is that not only does Dak step up but the team in general step up and win these games. I'm not looking for someone to carry the team, I'm looking for a team who is ready to take the next step and play quality ball on both side of the ball.
The team stepped up his rookie year. Last year I wonder if the Offense wasn’t looking for Dak to take the team on his back and lead. To early to know if he is the type of QB that can do that every game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The team stepped up his rookie year. Last year I wonder if the Offense wasn’t looking for Dak to take the team on his back and lead. To early to know if he is the type of QB that can do that every game.

If they did, they shouldn't have. That is not a knock on Dak. Fact is as great as Romo would play we did not win because reality is no one man is going to win a team sport. Dallas won in the 90's not because of 1 individual they won because they could play quality football on both sides of the ball. Dak and this team must elevate their games to give them the best chance of achieving a championship, it will not be one person who wins it all.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If they did, they shouldn't have. That is not a knock on Dak. Fact is as great as Romo would play we did not win because reality is no one man is going to win a team sport. Dallas won in the 90's not because of 1 individual they won because they could play quality football on both sides of the ball. Dak and this team must elevate their games to give them the best chance of achieving a championship, it will not be one person who wins it all.
Your right. Someone made a thread about RB getting 2500 yards and most of the teams that had a RB get those yards didn’t win a SB. It takes a TEAM. Some don’t get that. The 90’s Cowboys had a great Defense also. Look at the egirls. As much as I dislike them they win the SB. And didn’t even win with there starting qb. They had a team. No doubt Dak has to improve but so does the Defense and the rest of the Offense. A good HC goes a long way also, but that’s a different subject. Lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Your right. Someone made a thread about RB getting 2500 yards and most of the teams that had a RB get those yards didn’t win a SB. It takes a TEAM. Some don’t get that. The 90’s Cowboys had a great Defense also. Look at the egirls. As much as I dislike them they win the SB. And didn’t even win with there starting qb. They had a team. No doubt Dak has to improve but so does the Defense and the rest of the Offense. A good HC goes a long way also, but that’s a different subject. Lol

I have always called football the ultimate team sport and still feel that way. I like seeing players achieve personal goals and league breaking records like rushing for 2,000 plus yards or setting other league records, that is great but never more important that the overall team goal of winning a championship. Individuals do not win SB, teams do.

ghst187

Reaction score
I will admit I thought he was one of the worst picks we made and a waste with no shot to win the backup. However, he won me over time and time again in 2016 by not getting rattled, going through progressions and continually making good decision after good decision. He both managed the game by keeping the chains moving and avoiding big mistakes or turnovers and he made the big throw or play when needed. The team really responded to his leadership and he seems to be a class act. I felt like he was almost picking up where he left off in year two when the wheels came off however I felt like the Zeke stuff ruined the entire year and everyone stunk plus injuries piled up, and he didn’t have the running game or time to throw. I’m giving him a mulligan on the Second half of last year and very optimistic he resumes his 2016 play or better this coming season.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Some guys definitely throw it better. You certainly need deep threats and guys that can get open deep. And something like Zeke and play action to fool them. I though Aikman threw a terrible deep ball. But then again he didnt really have those deep threat type receivers.
When you have the Playmaker you don't have to have great accuracy

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a sad stat. Yet they will all attack you. Instead of sobering up to the facts

The "Truth' hurts....so i can dig why they insult me or put me on ignore...they want what they want and that's Dak at the helm for the next 10 years plus.....even though he's unqualified for the most prestigious position in the NFL.....oh well life is life.....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Some of the greatest defensive back breaking plays were deep passes to Alvin Harper at critical times. So please dont tell me even Aikman threw a terrible deep ball.

Your revisionists history to suit Dak is false.

Dont put down Aikman to prop up Dak. Where will the madness stop

Love Aikman. And of course he threw some great deep balls. But that was not his forte. He was the 10-30 yards on a rope with accuracy. But more than anyone else, he benefited from a great team around him and great coaching.

Dak has a great Oline and great run game and thats it. Werent you the guy that just started a thread two days ago talking about how you would draft Dak in fantasy because would put up numbers? Stop contradicting yourself.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Love Aikman. And of course he threw some great deep balls. But that was not his forte. He was the 10-30 yards on a rope with accuracy. But more than anyone else, he benefited from a great team around him and great coaching.

Dak has a great Oline and great run game and thats it. Werent you the guy that just started a thread two days ago talking about how you would draft Dak in fantasy because would put up numbers? Stop contradicting yourself.
I would take him but that's more of a testament to the oline and Zeke. Dak can still put up stats and still be terrible at playing the QB position

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would take him but that's more of a testament to the oline and Zeke. Dak can still put up stats and still be terrible at playing the QB position

LOL........ok buddy, whatever you say. In other words.......no matter what he does you will hate him.

Rookie of the year and MVP candidate. If thats terrible, keep up the terrible QB play. :flagwave::clap:

kskboys

Reaction score
"Throwing a WR open" is an overused phrase. Did Dez in his prime need to be thrown open? Did Witten? TO sure as hell didn't. I would say it's a combination.
Yeah, just one of those phrases that caught on. CB's don't really shut down half the field.

Reactions: G2

NotForLong

Reaction score
LOL........ok buddy, whatever you say. In other words.......no matter what he does you will hate him.

Rookie of the year and MVP candidate. If thats terrible, keep up the terrible QB play. :flagwave::clap:
Um no but you keep believing the last half of the 2017 season didn't happen. Just stick your head in the sand. Damn ostritch.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I don’t blame Dak. I blame the coaching staff and the decision makers for putting him in the spot he’s in. He doesn’t fit what an NFL QB needs to be.

He’s not an accurate thrower of the football. No matter how hard some people here wear those homer glasses, it doesn’t change that. He’s an athlete and a good kid playing QB...but he’s not an accurate passer and I have ever seen a QB at this level get more accurate.

He is a dink and dunker as well. He is Alex Smith’s mind rolled into Cam Newton’s body.

Maybe the team will have a great defense and running game and that would be awesome but he’s not winning a Super Bowl with his arm.

People always bring up that Romo held a clipboard but no one really knows if he would’ve been ready sooner. Romo also had a traditional QB skill set coming out of college.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I don’t blame Dak. I blame the coaching staff and the decision makers for putting him in the spot he’s in. He doesn’t fit what an NFL QB needs to be.

He’s not an accurate thrower of the football. No matter how hard some people here wear those homer glasses, it doesn’t change that. He’s an athlete and a good kid playing QB...but he’s not an accurate passer and I have ever seen a QB at this level get more accurate.

He is a dink and dunker as well. He is Alex Smith’s mind rolled into Cam Newton’s body.

Maybe the team will have a great defense and running game and that would be awesome but he’s not winning a Super Bowl with his arm.

People always bring up that Romo held a clipboard but no one really knows if he would’ve been ready sooner. Romo also had a traditional QB skill set coming out of college.

I do like Dak’s intangibles much better than Cam’s (which I don’t like at all), but they are not the same physically or athletically.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why take those away? you are coming up with this little box to qualify our justification. why take away the bounces? some of them were bad throws where the receiver reached back and the ball bounced.... that's a bad throw. and those late game desperations..... why were we in a desperate mode? and if we are mounting a come back, then he has to make plays, not interceptions.

I'm analyzing the player's performance.

If the WR caused the INT on a good pass then it's not the QBs fault.

If a QB is intercepted on a Hail Mary, there is no point including that INT when analyzing the QB.

There are many reasons a team can be down on the scoreboard and many of those reasons are not the QB.

If the team is down by 20 late in the game and the WRs are not getting open then the QB can be conservative and avoid INTs but also have no chance to win. In order to have a chance to win the QB must attempt to force the issue which means making passes to WRs that he would not make under most conditions. The probability of an INT is very high in these situations.

Dak is normally conservative in regards to avoiding INTs. If he didn't have INTs late in games that they losing by more than 1 score then I would worry that he could not get out of his conservative approach even when necessary.

I like to analyze players.

I'm not arguing with fans of another team that "my" QB is better than theirs.

I didn't predict either pre or post draft that Dak would be great which is something that motivates some people to be biased for or against players (see Broaddus-ing).

We're not in a debate of 1 Cowboys QB vs another (see Quincy vs Hutch).

Where I am biased is against people that make claims that are wrong.

Much of what has been said about Dak during/after the 2017 season has been wrong.

I've spent a lot of time this offseason reviewing games and stats. The more I analyze the more it becomes clear that Dak was better than I realized and that his supporting cast was worse than I realized.

The funniest thing is that the vast majority of Dak critics don't even know his true weaknesses. Most claim it's accuracy or arm strength which is not true. Some claim he panicks under pressure which is definitely not true.

It's the nature of the QB position. Most fans are not very knowledgeable; therefore QBs get most of the blame for losing and most of the accolades for winning.

Fans rarely ever blame WRs for bad routes or other mistakes that are not obvious from across a crowed room while drinking beer, BSing with their buddys, screwing with fantasy football apps and texting.

Joe Fan sees the ball come down somewhere other than right at the WR and he automatically blames the QB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow so Dak wasnt responsible for any ints. Wow how did you just twist that. You should work in politics

I normally respond with detaied analysis but in reviewing this thread it appears you are basically just trolling.

There is no point for me to spend time on a detailed reply.

It's unfortunate that the majority of Dak critics can ONLY contribute exaggerated or trollish posts. Dak in 2017 is a great subject for analytical debate.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Um no but you keep believing the last half of the 2017 season didn't happen. Just stick your head in the sand. Damn ostritch.

What about the first 24 games did that happen? The last 8 were bad, but there were distinct reasons and changes that happened that directly brought it on. Or did you miss the fact that Tyrone Smith and Zeke were out during that time?

Your analysis is garbage. With Zeke back, the Oline back on top with depth do you think Dak will struggle or not?