The Jones’s are not catching enough heat for Kellen Moore

jrumann59

Reaction score
I didn’t think Moore was near the problem that he was or if McCarthys scheme is just that great.

Dak almost always has an answer and knows where to go with the ball right now and his footwork is top tier.

It makes me think Trey Lance is probably going to end up a lot better than people think too after working with McCarthy.
All of this yes but his footwork is not top tier, its better but he still can do more with it, he has an inconsistent base and takes many false steps. He is relatively young so he can still get by with using the his upper body but as he ages the footwork and base will become more important.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh no you believed that lie?
You’re lying to yourself if you believe that Moore was forced on McCarthy. Everyone was thrilled with Moore after his first season as OC in 2019. Everyone wanted him back and so did McCarthy…fact! Why would you change OC when you have the number one offense in the league? Moore was off to a very promising start.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With the improvement we’ve seen out of Dak Prescott in recent weeks and how he looks significantly better in this scheme it’s amazing to me that the Jones’s aren’t catching heat for forcing Kellen Moore on McCarthy.

Even with the “#1 offense” a year ago McCarthy had seen enough and sent Kellen Moore packing.

I didn’t realize how bad things were but the hand picked coordinator was just another poor coaching decision by the Jones’s that set this team back multiple years.

Dak’s command of the offense and his footwork are just night and day compared to where he was.
Acceptance as a start point with Moore was agreed upon and also with the personnel groups on at that point in the beginning. Why was Cooper released during that time as well?

That was part of the growth process and stabilization process for the team. The receiver group adjusted and improved into this season. Moore couldn't have demanded consistency of special skill groups? He didn't have success with receivers and offensive linemen last season? Both were weakened also.

No, we are in the complete turn-around point as well. He assumed responsibility for direction himself. That was his call as it always was...not yet another JERRY meddling.

The team is pretty good here and now...and that is with quite a few player changes en route.

Big_D

Reaction score
That's twice Jerry put guys with no experience on the fast track. That resume, game experience and coaching tree matters. Both hires were ridiculous considering their job titles and prior experience. Wouldn't be so bad if they were assistants but Jerry rather act like he knows something the rest of the league doesn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's twice Jerry put guys with no experience on the fast track. That resume, game experience and coaching tree matters. Both hires were ridiculous considering their job titles. Wouldn't be so bad if they were assistants but Jerry rather act like he knows something the rest of the league doesn't.
I don’t think Jerry has ever valued coaching and has always felt like the NFL is players and Joes and not X’s and O’s.

The problem is the salary cap has made almost all of these teams even and the 3 biggest edges you can get for your team is:

1. Elite Quarterback

2. Great coaching

3. Quality QB on Rookie deal

erod

Reaction score
With the improvement we’ve seen out of Dak Prescott in recent weeks and how he looks significantly better in this scheme it’s amazing to me that the Jones’s aren’t catching heat for forcing Kellen Moore on McCarthy.

Even with the “#1 offense” a year ago McCarthy had seen enough and sent Kellen Moore packing.

I didn’t realize how bad things were but the hand picked coordinator was just another poor coaching decision by the Jones’s that set this team back multiple years.

Dak’s command of the offense and his footwork are just night and day compared to where he was.
Nobody was clamoring for Mike McCarthy before Dallas hired him. To be fair.

However, it is so maddening how Jerry lords over coaches and what they're "allowed" to do.

If you hire a coach, you need to let HIM determine how the coaching staff and team will look and run. Period.

He did it to Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade, Garrett, and now McCarthy. Only Jimmy and Parcells were allowed to run the team, and even then he had to force his ugly mug into every camera shot.

The team would be miles better off if he'd just stay home and feed the chickens with Ellie Mae and Jethro.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don’t think Jerry has ever valued coaching and has always felt like the NFL is players and Joes and not X’s and O’s.

The problem is the salary cap has made almost all of these teams even and the 3 biggest edges you can get for your team is:

1. Elite Quarterback

2. Great coaching

3. Quality QB on Rookie deal

After Jimmy it was clear he was taking charge and didn't value coaching at all.

rambo2

Reaction score
STOP IT RIGHT NOW....do NOT rewrite history....the lazy conman DID NOT want to call plays when he got here, and made that crystal clear again a year later....he only for the first time acted as if it were a great idea, AFTER the failure in SF last post season and his job was teetering. Corky apologists and lovers alike, really have a short memory whilst falling all over his current regular season ride over predominately bad to average teams.
Lol

rambo2

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen have been holding the Cowboys back for decades. Their coaching hires being their biggest deficiency.
So much so that they currently have the best record in the league.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
STOP IT RIGHT NOW....do NOT rewrite history....the lazy conman DID NOT want to call plays when he got here, and made that crystal clear again a year later....he only for the first time acted as if it were a great idea, AFTER the failure in SF last post season and his job was teetering. Corky apologists and lovers alike, really have a short memory whilst falling all over his current regular season ride over predominately bad to average teams.
If you believe Mike really had any choice but to keep Moore then you must be a brand spanking new cowboys fan. Welcome!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Just tell him to visit CZ.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I didn’t think Moore was near the problem that he was or if McCarthys scheme is just that great.

Dak almost always has an answer and knows where to go with the ball right now and his footwork is top tier.

It makes me think Trey Lance is probably going to end up a lot better than people think too after working with McCarthy.
Enough with Trey Lance already. He will never play for the Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There were some here that claimed Moore wasnt the problem and Dak was. Not sure if you were one of them. Y'all couldnt wait to see Moore with a "REAL QB".

Sorry not trying to call out anyone by name but my God. Some of you need to eat some crow. Big time.
Oh, he was. He Never believed in Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Jones’s learned their lesson with Hiring Jason Garrett and pushing him on Wade.

McCarthy said he would never give up playcalling again.

Then he comes to Dallas and is like yeah I want Kellen Moore lol. Imagine believing that.
We have some of the most gullible people on this site that I've ever associated w/.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As well as Dak and the offense has been since McCarthy's adjustment from Dink n Dunk - i guess that will be some fans' perspective.

- We had the NFL's #1 ranked offense under Kellen so it wasn't all bad. and he was an upgrade over Scott Linehan.
His flaws became more apparent when he just could not adjust nd counter what the Niners were throwing
at he and Dak in two back to back playoff years.

- Moore has his pluses and minuses, he just never evolved and expanded, imo
Frankly we will also have to see what becomes of Tex Coast under McCarthy as well, and see if he himself
will evolve and expand.

- You have to constantly keep growing and adding new ideas and approaches as opposing defenses will have film of your current offense and counter scheme and adjust accordingly.
That was the knock on McCarthy in GB ... that he stayed with the status quo and became predictable.

- Just as it did with Kellen, the Niners also will prove the measuring stick that McCarthy, himself
also will have to prove he can hurdle over and advance further into the playoffs.

Lonzo per Training Day: ..." This is Chess, ..not Checkers "
The only reason Moore had the #1 offense was because of the QB. That’s quite obvious.