The Jones’s are not catching enough heat for Kellen Moore

kskboys

Reaction score
You’re lying to yourself if you believe that Moore was forced on McCarthy. Everyone was thrilled with Moore after his first season as OC in 2019. Everyone wanted him back and so did McCarthy…fact! Why would you change OC when you have the number one offense in the league? Moore was off to a very promising start.
Actually, I'd say believing the opposite is lying to yourself. All the signs and data point toward the forced on thing.

I was iffy on KMo, as it was obvious he needed to learn how to run the ball and utilize the short passing game more. I thought he'd learn.

kskboys

Reaction score
The only reason Moore had the #1 offense was because of the QB. That’s quite obvious.
Yup. Because we threw for tons of downfield yardage. Problem is, that sort of O always gets exposed in the playoffs. Even Brady back in 07 got exposed for running that type of O. Makes the QB a sitting duck back there.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think Jerry has ever valued coaching and has always felt like the NFL is players and Joes and not X’s and O’s.

The problem is the salary cap has made almost all of these teams even and the 3 biggest edges you can get for your team is:

1. Elite Quarterback

2. Great coaching

3. Quality QB on Rookie deal
The team is doing so well now and all you continue to do is whine. :facepalm:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There were some here that claimed Moore wasnt the problem and Dak was. Not sure if you were one of them. Y'all couldnt wait to see Moore with a "REAL QB".

Sorry not trying to call out anyone by name but my God. Some of you need to eat some crow. Big time.
We all know the one that created an entire post on regretting the Moore decision just a few weeks ago

Big_D

Reaction score
Seems pretty odd on Jerry's part considering you finally hire a legit offensive coach after a decade of pure crap and then saddle him with yet another OC with no experience. LOL

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People need to learn to look ahead, those that continually look backward are usually very disjointed and confused. The future is a great place to live, try it.
George Santayana said:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
There is nothing wrong with forward thinking. Optimism blossoms from the promise of what may be.

However, dismissing the past does not inform the observer of where improvement started, how it started, or why it started. Believing something happens for no reason does not fully enlighten. It diminishes what eventually happens, both the good and the bad.

That said, pessimism should not dominate anyone's inner world either. That viewpoint is a dead end to possibility.

Mannix

Reaction score
I’m blaming them and did for years. Think goodness Mike finally got his skins and was able to talk them into removing him
You and many others need to do some research....the first 2 years, he wanted NO PART in calling plays...and said so. So please quit acting as if he finally got his wish to do it....he didn't!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Seems pretty odd on Jerry's part considering you finally hire a legit offensive coach after a decade of pure crap and then saddle him with yet another OC with no experience. LOL
You simply have no source of Jerry forcing changes upon McCarthy but your own made up and whipping boy excuse of what was in fact a successful change in Dallas operations. Wonder why?

Free animals cat bird illustration

foofighters

Reaction score
With the improvement we’ve seen out of Dak Prescott in recent weeks and how he looks significantly better in this scheme it’s amazing to me that the Jones’s aren’t catching heat for forcing Kellen Moore on McCarthy.

Even with the “#1 offense” a year ago McCarthy had seen enough and sent Kellen Moore packing.

I didn’t realize how bad things were but the hand picked coordinator was just another poor coaching decision by the Jones’s that set this team back multiple years.

Dak’s command of the offense and his footwork are just night and day compared to where he was.

That's y'all's fault that live around the Dallas area. Y'all need to dog pile on Jerry more instead of the constant free passes.

coult44

Reaction score
With the improvement we’ve seen out of Dak Prescott in recent weeks and how he looks significantly better in this scheme it’s amazing to me that the Jones’s aren’t catching heat for forcing Kellen Moore on McCarthy.

Even with the “#1 offense” a year ago McCarthy had seen enough and sent Kellen Moore packing.

I didn’t realize how bad things were but the hand picked coordinator was just another poor coaching decision by the Jones’s that set this team back multiple years.

Dak’s command of the offense and his footwork are just night and day compared to where he was.
What would suffice?

vicjagger

Reaction score
Personally, I think the offensive turn-around began when we finally got the entire starting OL back together after such a long time apart. I think it was over 1 year....

fivetwos

Reaction score
Nobody was clamoring for Mike McCarthy before Dallas hired him. To be fair.

However, it is so maddening how Jerry lords over coaches and what they're "allowed" to do.

If you hire a coach, you need to let HIM determine how the coaching staff and team will look and run. Period.

He did it to Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade, Garrett, and now McCarthy. Only Jimmy and Parcells were allowed to run the team, and even then he had to force his ugly mug into every camera shot.

The team would be miles better off if he'd just stay home and feed the chickens with Ellie Mae and Jethro.
He even did it to Parcells.

Literally one of the innovators of the 34 defense had to keep Mike Zimmer and his 43 scheme because Jerry had just extended him and he didn’t want to eat the deal.

Wasn’t until year three that he was allowed to build the defense he wanted. Luckily one draft turned it around quickly, but by the time it was built, time was up on who could tolerate who and what, and it was over.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I mostly agree with you. Although the criticism is not appropriate now. It should have happened when Garrett was released and they didn’t cut bait with Kellen Moore then. The Jones boys do deserve credit for what’s happened with McCarthy, this coaching staff and keeping Will McClay‘s penchant for scouting and drafting talent.

BUT…..One of the biggest problems with a front office leadership team that has zero accountability for failure, is they get way too comfortable with their own decisions. JJ and SJ are as comfortable as two babies in the crib whether the team is 6-10, 8-8 or 12-5. They don’t seem to welcome much contrary input about what they are doing.

The best evidence we have of the above is watching Jason Garrett stick around here for a decade despite starting his first 3 years here with the same record as Chargers HC Brandon Staley who was just fired- for having a 24-24 record- the same as Garrett had 2011-13. That kind of mediocrity was somehow ok in Big D for 6 more seasons.

When your job is on the line, you tend to be a little more critical of your own decisions. And you tend to not stick with someone as your HC just because you like them personally and that’s all that matters.

Big_D

Reaction score
You simply have no source of Jerry forcing changes upon McCarthy but your own made up and whipping boy excuse of what was in fact a successful change in Dallas operations. Wonder why?

Free animals cat bird illustration
Says the guy who defends Jerry's every move like the crap decisions over a 3 decade period don't paint a clear enough picture? Keeping Garrett here for 13 years makes it pretty crystal clear the type of poor decisions this team had to endure.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is we're all feeling great this week, but the season isn't over either.

And if we just take a small step back and look at how the team has performed over the last 5, 10, 25 years... no not exactly happy with how Jones and Co have done things

Havic

Reaction score
He even did it to Parcells.

Literally one of the innovators of the 34 defense had to keep Mike Zimmer and his 43 scheme because Jerry had just extended him and he didn’t want to eat the deal.

Wasn’t until year three that he was allowed to build the defense he wanted. Luckily one draft turned it around quickly, but by the time it was built, time was up on who could tolerate who and what, and it was over.
They want you to cook the meal but they won’t let you pick out the ingredients

Kwyn

Reaction score
There were some here that claimed Moore wasnt the problem and Dak was. Not sure if you were one of them. Y'all couldnt wait to see Moore with a "REAL QB".

Sorry not trying to call out anyone by name but my God. Some of you need to eat some crow. Big time.
And plenty of others who said it wasn’t Moore, but McCarthy.

And sometimes it was the same people saying both.

Just goes to show that there is some rot here in our fandom.