The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

TWOK11

Reaction score
What's your point?

Are you denying that a decent to good QB eating up huge chunks of a teams' cap space, makes it tougher to then sign and put around him enough star talent to win?
I’m saying in a league with haves and have nots based almost entirely on whether or not you have a top 10 QB, saying one of those QBs isn’t worth market value because he doesn’t have a given accomplishment is like saying a car isn’t worth the money if it can’t go 110 MPH, even if without the car you’ll lose your job and largely won’t be able to function in modern society. It’s a nonsensical argument.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I made zero comment about what anyone should do. My point, which you ignore, is that as QBs start eating up more of a teams cap, some teams very well could see diminishing returns here and decide that maybe, spend your cap space on the roster and try to float with a mid-level QB.

We all know why QBs get paid a ton. But will some teams start to wonder if there isn’t another path forward other than spend 20-25% of your cap on a QB?
I think the Owners/GM's and Agents are the issue...and not the player. Agents are setting the market based on revenue distribution, cap and what they think starting QBs are worth to a team cap percentage wise.

Unless all the owners collude and stick to their guns about what is considered subjective(the worth of top end non-Michael Jordan QBs)...nothing is going to change unless the NFL wants to be a terrible product(all teams with non-Michael Jordan QB's constantly turning over their QB looking for Michael Jordan) while Mahomes(Michael Jordan) tears through teams year after year.

Maybe these teams can give Mahomes a run for his money if they are stacked on defense. But...KC defense this year was really good with Mahomes and that large contract. I could see strong defenses giving Mahomes a run for his money...but bad QB play and turnovers would be hard to overcome.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There is a difference between wanting to win a Super Bowl and "Super Bowl or bust." Not every fan becomes suicidal when the team doesn't win it all.
That doesn’t mean they’re not Super Bowl or bust. Why are you guys arguing this? Don’t you want them to win a Super Bowl every year and not just reach the playoffs?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
With the Jones Show, you never know. But I can’t imagine why they or any front office would allow the QB market to move in this fashion while they continue to sit idly, IF they had any intention to extend their QB. I believe both parties have agreed this is Dak’s last season in Dallas. It doesn’t make sense otherwise…

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If I were Dak, I would test the market and go to one of the highest bidders who has a chance to win a ring. He has no chance to win in Dallas cause Jerry and Giggles are incapable of building a winner.
Dak is not capable of winning a championship. I think he is a good man and a good QB but not a championship caliber QB. That said I am not sure any QB can win with the Jones clan running things.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That doesn’t mean they’re not Super Bowl or bust. Why are you guys arguing this? Don’t you want them to win a Super Bowl every year and not just reach the playoffs?
Of course but that doesn’t mean if you don’t the season is a complete failure.

stinkface

Reaction score
As the old saying goes, "Do you wanna fish or just cut bait". So far Jerry has cut enough bait that the Great White in Jaws would be to fat to move.

Flamma

Reaction score
Check this out from Sturm
This is why I'm bracing for $60-65M if he has a career year and Jerry might decide he has priced himself out the Cowboys range
If he has a career year. We can only hope he plays that well. But they do this to themselves constantly. Lamb's market value after his 3rd year was around 23-25M. Now it's probably 35M. Parsons will probably go to 40M. They don't seem to care about cap hits or spending extra money. Because they're not going to spend anything in free agency.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whatever you want to call it. My point is the only fans who are happy with 12-5 and lose in the playoffs are not Cowboys fans.
Who said anything about being happy .

I’m just saying that seasons aren’t a total failure if you don’t make the Super Bowl.

Most fans would have considered it a great success if we’d just made the championship game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Most likely Prescott has nothing to prove to our ownership. That’s only something fans battle with.

I’d be more inclined to follow what our closet beat writers have reported in that if a deal isn’t done by the beginning of the season ,it’s over.

Prescott will assume they are ready to move on and he’ll look ahead to FA.
What do fans battle with? I'm just going by what is common sense. What is stupid and what isn't. Multiple things that have happened this offseason point to Dak playing out the season. In other words, signing him now as opposed to earlier would be stupid.

rambo2

Reaction score
Dak is not capable of winning a championship. I think he is a good man and a good QB but not a championship caliber QB. That said I am not sure any QB can win with the Jones clan running things.
Bs, that's ridiculous.

Flamma

Reaction score
Probably cause they had no intention of participating in FA. Their focus was on resigning Dak and Lamb. The 5m restructure was just normal protocol and it loosened up enough to sign the draftees.

I’d say once they sign Dak it will loosen up enough Cap space to sign Lamb and maybe offer Micah a deal a year early.

We’ll see what happens . But if a deal isn’t done by the season then it’s possible we won’t sign Dak or Lamb. If you don’t have a QB, certainly don’t need a WR.
I'll admit, this is a possibility. But it's one really weird way to go about an off season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What do fans battle with? I'm just going by what is common sense. What is stupid and what isn't. Multiple things that have happened this offseason point to Dak playing out the season. In other words, signing him now as opposed to earlier would be stupid.
Not necessarily. Especially if you’re trying to play the public perception angle.

Jethro didn’t want to set the new Market Price especially after our disappointing ending.

But when other QB’s are given similar contracts without much more success if any then it doesn’t look as bad.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Especially if you’re trying to play the public perception angle.

Jethro didn’t want to set the new Market Price especially after our disappointing ending.

But when other QB’s are given similar contracts without much more success if any then it doesn’t look as bad.
I made that comment before reading your other post. I'm starting to lean towards your side now. My mistake is following league trends. What's typical. What works. I should be thinking what is normal for the Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who said anything about being happy .

I’m just saying that seasons aren’t a total failure if you don’t make the Super Bowl.

Most fans would have considered it a great success if we’d just made the championship game.
To each his own.