The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Bottom line, is Dak Prescott good enough to win a Super Bowl. What we fans think about that is irrelevant to what ends up happening. The decision makers would have already given Dak an extension if they believed in him. So that should give us a clue as to what they are thinking. They want to see Trey Lance in action in the preseason. They want to give Dak one last chance to prove he can win in the playoffs. Only they know how much winning is enough to extend Dak. We all have an opinion on that.
If Jerry and Co. were about money more than winning like a lot of posters around here push...Dak would already be signed because he makes the team watchable on tv with his QB play. That sells jerseys and seats and keeps Dallas in the media.

So...it must not all be about money.

I can only think that there must be things going on behind the scenes that fans arent privy to.

1) Murmurings from coaches that Dak has some flaws with processing. These flaws could make it hard to win in Playoffs with QB market for a QB of Dak's nature eating up tons of cap used to build a team

2) The Jones clan was very put off by Dak and his agent during second contract negotiations. They know that Dak and his agent will not be reasonable and want top dollar even if it means making it harder to build a team

3) Jones boys are dropping the ball with big contracts by waiting too long to sign high dollar positions. This could be the case...but I think its based in hate and lazy.

Ive said for a few years...I think Dak and his agent turned the Jones' off last contract with their demands. Maybe there were some flaws known in the coaching circles...but Dak earned his contract and the team was hopeful Dak would overcome said small but important flaws. Now its time to negotiate 3rd contract, Dak may still have some flaws that coaches bring up to the Jones', Dak has not pulled his team in the Playoffs like a top dollar player should...and to top it off....the Jones' know Dak and his agent are going to play hard ball in a QB market that many are saying is out of hand.

I would be very surprised if the Jones' walked away from Dak after this year. I will be surprised if Dak steps on the field without a contract unless he is just handing it off all game

Hadenough

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
Yep just give in to the Stockholm syndrome aka Dak Prescott. It's hopeless to think they could actually find a decent QB. And please don't compare Goff to Prescott. Goffs playoff record is the reverse of Daks.
Lawrence is way better than Dak he just has nothing around him. Daks contract should be more in line with Cousins but to be honest you can fix the kinda choke Dak has in him. Let him walk.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
But the market has been reset and Dak still doesn't have a new contract. Use your brain, man. The FO is telling us their intentions by their actions.
Im not trying to argue with you...i get your point...

But what is your opinion of the post a week or so ago that supposedly explained why things happen with contracts?

The post was talking about the top WR's waiting on contracts and how they fall. Someone posted that the agents are in control of many players and they are lining up what these players should be getting paid and when they drop to the media. Something along those lines. Maybe it was talking about 3 top players in same position who are all signed to the same agent.

Regardless...the post sounded like it could be how things are done because it made sense...even if its not how things are done.

Im not digging for the post...but it basically was saying that the agents at this time of year are gathering info and figuring out who and how much top earners should be making and it kind of falls in that order. Maybe sinse Dak is going to get the highest contract...his will be announced last. The fans are being conditioned with each contract falling being higher and higher.

You can probably prove that historically that is not how its done. Im just saying that maybe Dak's contract has not fallen yet because agents are lining up what other QBs salaries should be...and it has nothing to do with the actions of the Jones'

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep just give in to the Stockholm syndrome aka Dak Prescott. It's hopeless to think they could actually find a decent QB. And please don't compare Goff to Prescott. Goffs playoff record is the reverse of Daks.
Lawrence is way better than Dak he just has nothing around him. Daks contract should be more in line with Cousins but to be honest you can fix the kinda choke Dak has in him. Let him walk.
That’s all fine and dandy. I’m not advocating either way personally . My intent here is to discuss what I think our owners are going to do and their stance on the situation.

I know it’s difficult for fans to set their emotions aside as it’s been very frustrating . I totally get it. Im frustrated with our historic playoff futility as well but the business at hand for our franchise is not about how we feel . It’s about what our owners feel and do.

Flamma

Reaction score
Thats a good point my friend, a team has to really evaluate how they can build a roster around a market value QB.

Obviously the million dollar question is..................who is the replacement if we dont sign our starting QB to a market rate deal?

And here is the problem, or even the fear every team must face in this situation.........what if the replacement is not as good?

You can very quickly go from winning 12 games a year to winning 5-6 games a year if your replacement ends up sucking.

There is no guarantee Lance is any good, that is the problem for Dallas. And you can say good, if he sucks we get a top 5 pick the following year and draft a new QB. But what if that top 5 QB is a bust? There is no guarantee that just because you draft a QB in the top 5 that he will become a franchise QB. There are lots and lots of example of top 5 QBs busting. So, then what? You sucked a year with Lance, now you suck a couple more years with a top 5 pick before you determined he busted, so we are looking at multiple seasons of 5-6 wins now?

You starting to see the problem with the idea of "not paying market". If you have a QB that is good enough to warrant a high-end contract, it is too risky to let him walk. I mean, what teams have let their franchise QBs hit unrestricted free agency that was not coming off a major injury (Brees and Cousins). I honestly cant remember the last time somebody like Dak was allowed to enter free agency, a QB in his prime that was literally runner up to being league MVP.
I don't disagree with any of this. The safe bet is to pay market value. It's what's expected. So failure has no consequences. Don't pay it, and you're seen as a buffoon when you fail as a result.

I guess it depends on your goals. If playoffs is all you want, pay it. I don't see many QBs even reaching the SB with a 15% cap hit. Patrick Mahomes is a freak of nature, an outlier. Once you pay that QB, you have a small window.

Look at Burrow. His extension doesn't even start until next year, and he's currently an 11% cap hit. They're good now. Next year the trouble starts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im not trying to argue with you...i get your point...

But what is your opinion of the post a week or so ago that supposedly explained why things happen with contracts?

The post was talking about the top WR's waiting on contracts and how they fall. Someone posted that the agents are in control of many players and they are lining up what these players should be getting paid and when they drop to the media. Something along those lines. Maybe it was talking about 3 top players in same position who are all signed to the same agent.

Regardless...the post sounded like it could be how things are done because it made sense...even if its not how things are done.

Im not digging for the post...but it basically was saying that the agents at this time of year are gathering info and figuring out who and how much top earners should be making and it kind of falls in that order. Maybe sinse Dak is going to get the highest contract...his will be announced last. The fans are being conditioned with each contract falling being higher and higher.

You can probably prove that historically that is not how its done. Im just saying that maybe Dak's contract has not fallen yet because agents are lining up what other QBs salaries should be...and it has nothing to do with the actions of the Jones'
There’s some meaningful dialogue here. The more of these contracts come out for QB’s who arguably haven’t done anymore than Prescott then the public perception for our ownership to resign him isn’t as damaging.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jerry just needs to keep watching that tape of the GB game. Dak was pathetic. The previous 2 playoff exits Dak was given the excuse of the 49ers have a top defense.
Dak has lost his marketability and people aren't buying into Jerry's Kool aid. Jerry will be the laughing stock of the NFL if they give Dak a new contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of this. The safe bet is to pay market value. It's what's expected. So failure has no consequences. Don't pay it, and you're seen as a buffoon when you fail as a result.

I guess it depends on your goals. If playoffs is all you want, pay it. I don't see many QBs even reaching the SB with a 15% cap hit. Patrick Mahomes is a freak of nature, an outlier. Once you pay that QB, you have a small window.

Look at Burrow. His extension doesn't even start until next year, and he's currently an 11% cap hit. They're good now. Next year the trouble starts.
Good points. We must remember though that while everyone’s ultimate goal is winning a Super Bowl, the more immediate goal is a playoff contender which could possibly make a deep run .

That’s what sells and keeps fans on the edge of their seats buying tickets and merchandise tuned in on TV. That’s why the NFL has gone to 14 teams in the playoffs. More teams are in it.

Yea, we all want to win Super Bowls but Jethro has stated “ remaining interesting and relevant” comes first cause “ hanging around the rim “ sells. This is unfortunately the reality of the NFL.

UncleRico

Reaction score
Well the only way he’s winning in riding the pine. Boy didn’t win in high school, college, and hasn’t looked like he can make a deep run much less win a Super Bowl. I’d rather him leave and show all us doubters wrong.
Now you’re just hating because that isn’t true

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry just needs to keep watching that tape of the GB game. Dak was pathetic. The previous 2 playoff exits Dak was given the excuse of the 49ers have a top defense.
Dak has lost his marketability and people aren't buying into Jerry's Kool aid. Jerry will be the laughing stock of the NFL if they give Dak a new contract.
When you’re already the laughing stock I’m not sure it matters.

Arguably if we miss the playoffs following letting Dak walk would be more deflating .

Cowboy fans are football junkies they are going to be tuned in regardless . And if they get off to another great start the hype and hope will return for most.

Flamma

Reaction score
Good points. We must remember though that while everyone’s ultimate goal is winning a Super Bowl, the more immediate goal is a playoff contender which could possibly make a deep run .

That’s what sells and keeps fans on the edge of their seats buying tickets and merchandise tuned in on TV. That’s why the NFL has gone to 14 teams in the playoffs. More teams are in it.

Yea, we all want to win Super Bowls but Jethro has stated “ remaining interesting and relevant” comes first cause “ hanging around the rim “ sells. This is unfortunately the reality of the NFL.
Absolutely. First things first. If they get to a SB as a result, all the better. This isn't a computer sim you play at home. There's a lot of money involved.

shabazz

Reaction score
Arguably if we miss the playoffs following letting Dak walk would be more deflating .
Disagree. The overwhelming percentage of fans are ready to move on from Rayne Dakota......missing the playoffs would only REINFORCE it.

9 years is the charm. The 4th round experiment is over.....just like the previous UNFA QB experiment concluded.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
But the market has been reset and Dak still doesn't have a new contract. Use your brain, man. The FO is telling us their intentions by their actions.
A year ago they did not retain Elliott because they did not think he could help the team. Now they think he can. “The FO is telling us” they don’t know what they’re trying to do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. The overwhelming percentage of fans are ready to move on from Rayne Dakota......missing the playoffs would only REINFORCE it.

9 years is the charm. The 4th round experiment is over.....just like the previous UNFA QB experiment concluded.
I was talking about becoming a non playoff team after he’s gone.

While I agree many fans are ready to move on I’m not sure our ownership is.

We’ll see how it shakes out , I won’t be shocked if Dak is intent on holding out for highest bidder next year , but I’ll be very surprised if Jethro &Son are ready to move on.

I suspect this frustration is less than not being able to find a QB who can at least get you to the playoffs. There’s more at risk than just the results on the field for ownership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely. First things first. If they get to a SB as a result, all the better. This isn't a computer sim you play at home. There's a lot of money involved.
Yep, there’s more at stake for our ownership than just the results on the field.

Despite the frustrating playoff woes Dak has been enough to provide a playoff contender which is much easier to promote and sell than a bottom feeder without a Franchise QB not in the playoff race.

Yes, it’s ultimately all about the money. Something fans care nothing about.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yep, there’s more at stake for our ownership than just the results on the field.

Despite the frustrating playoff woes Dak has been enough to provide a playoff contender which is much easier to promote and sell than a bottom feeder without a Franchise QB not in the playoff race.

Yes, it’s ultimately all about the money. Something fans care nothing about.
Dak has too much dead cap $$$.

Next season, when Dak is gone, the team will still have a $40 million hit.

Followed by a $12 million cap hit in 26.

It’s best for the team to go ahead and cut Dak…post June 1.

POST-6/1 RELEASE​

2024 Dead Cap: $26,455,000
2025 Dead Cap: $40,460,000
2024 Savings: $29,000,000. <<<<<==== immediate fix for our 2024 cap