The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well fans...either believe in him or they don;t. So;;;it's a wash.

I guess I'm confused on your point. You earlier said they were sold, and then you say not.

I think this front office is just as cautious/split as the fan base in general.
I believe I said they claimed to be All In. And FO’s are usually sold or not . Then it becomes purely about the negotiation of the contract.

The context is important but If they weren’t sold on him there’d be no reason to even discuss negotiating a contract.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
What are you babbling about?

It's a legitimate discussion point. As QBs take up more and more of a team's cap space, will some teams try a different path and look towards a mid-level QB, and then use the saved cap space to load up the rest of the roster.

Just because it hurts your pro-Dak feelings doesn't make it less of an interesting discussion point.
Different usernames wanting me to explain the same thing every day. Im not falling for it.

Please go and respond to some of my posts that I have laid out quality arguments as to why QBs are paid so much. Im not retyping it and I bet you wont go look at my profile and respond to any of my reasonable arguments. Its convenient to just say "I aint going back through your posts" because that helps avoid talking about my points.

Thats the game...new usernames to get a reaction or bait someone into retyping their argument every day. Its funny that its the same argument every day and none of the arguments address my talking points...because it kills the debate and the board doesnt want that.

All anyone does is attack me like you...and say Im babbling. Attack, distract or be silent...its the go to tactics around here to push a narrative.

The market is crazy, I dont like it, but would be guilty if I said I wouldnt do what current GM's are doing. Im not gonna be a hypocrite about it...but this board will...for a reaction.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The trend is already there. And it’s still experiencing record growth and revenue.

Not all fans have the SB or Bust mentality. Being a contender and more playoff teams keeps more fans entrenched.

There’s really no reason to change.
Every fan of every team wants them to win a SB are you kidding me?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Different usernames wanting me to explain the same thing every day. Im not falling for it.

Please go and respond to some of my posts that I have laid out quality arguments as to why QBs are paid so much. Im not retyping it and I bet you wont go look at my profile and respond to any of my reasonable arguments. Its convenient to just say "I aint going back through your posts" because that helps avoid talking about my points.

Thats the game...new usernames to get a reaction or bait someone into retyping their argument every day. Its funny that its the same argument every day and none of the arguments address my talking points...because it kills the debate and the board doesnt want that.

All anyone does is attack me like you...and say Im babbling. Attack, distract or be silent...its the go to tactics around here to push a narrative.

The market is crazy, I dont like it, but would be guilty if I said I wouldnt do what current GM's are doing. Im not gonna be a hypocrite about it...but this board will...for a reaction.
He attacks anyone who says anything positive about Dak.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You mention mid-level QB...

Garner Minshew was the cheapest non-rookie deal QB that had/has playing time in the NFL and he was 12.5M unless you want some guy with little to no playing time that you believe in. Guess what the next guy was after that....like 25M.

Josh Dobbs got scooped up by the 49ers and has playing time. Some here have mentioned Jacoby Brisset. The back up in Cinci that looked good..Jake Browning is the name?

These guys arent easy to find and arent cheap. And all these posters on this site want to sit through multiple seasons of bad QB lol. People turn the channel quick. If Im a GM or Owner...I dont even want to watch for 3 hours. Bad QB play is so not easy to watch. Those years between Aikman and Romo were not fun.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What are you babbling about?

It's a legitimate discussion point. As QBs take up more and more of a team's cap space, will some teams try a different path and look towards a mid-level QB, and then use the saved cap space to load up the rest of the roster.

Just because it hurts your pro-Dak feelings doesn't make it less of an interesting discussion point.
Another great question:

First of all I’d say considering the Cap continues increasing that the Cap percentage for QB’s should remain similar.

And if mid- level Franchise QB’s are paid similar to Elite QB’s there’s not as much clarity as we’d prefer.

Is saving 5-10 million a year on your mid level QB going to be enough to put your team over the top?

The best Cap friendly means for a less than Elite QB to build around will continue to be on Rookie contracts. That gives teams a 4 or 5 year window.

What I’d suggest is keeping the QB revolving door going always looking for the next QB to replace current one unless he’s the Mahomes type level of success.

But it’s a risk that you can continue drafting good enough at QB rather than investing heavy in your current QB you know provided a playoff caliber team.

We also must remember the financial windfall these playoff caliber QB’s present to teams. Having a consistent playoff contender sells hope and interest to fans driving team revenue.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
Tua not being signed yet, and Stafford not getting the upgrade he’s asking for, the Steelers having 2 QBs on one year deals may have something to do with Prescott likely becoming a free agent in March. NY Giants and New Orleans can get free of D. Jones and Carr after this season. The Raiders will be starting an obvious bridge quarterback this season. A bridge to whom? Carolina will be more aware of what they realistically have in Young after this season. Some of these teams may be posturing to be in position to sign Prescott. I doubt it will be $60 million AAV, but Prescott is going to be paid a lot of money to play quarterback in 2025. To sign him today, however, the Cowboys may have to pay $60 million per season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You mention mid-level QB...

Garner Minshew was the cheapest non-rookie deal QB that had/has playing time in the NFL and he was 12.5M unless you want some guy with little to no playing time that you believe in. Guess what the next guy was after that....like 25M.

Josh Dobbs got scooped up by the 49ers and has playing time. Some here have mentioned Jacoby Brisset. The back up in Cinci that looked good..Jake Browning is the name?

These guys arent easy to find and arent cheap. And all these posters on this site want to sit through multiple seasons of bad QB lol. People turn the channel quick. If Im a GM or Owner...I dont even want to watch for 3 hours. Bad QB play is so not easy to watch. Those years between Aikman and Romo were not fun.
And this is why Jethro has stated his initial priority is “ remaining interesting and relative”.

That’s what these less than Elite franchise qb’s can provide. And why teams are willing to pay them.

Worse case scenarios for teams is hitting rock bottom and the uncertainty looking for their next Franchise QB.

aEYi7ev.jpeg

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Of course thats the ultimate goal but that doesn’t mean a SB or Bust mentality.

Even you’ve argued consecutive 12 win seasons isn’t a failure.
I argued that the team was talented because of winning 12 games 3 years in a row, not that a 12 win season isn’t failure. Please don’t lie.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Here's your list of backups and their salary in 2023...the internet could be playing me and these numbers not exact...

Andy Dalton – 2/10M with 7M in incentives

Jacoby Brisset – 1/8M with 4M in incentives

Sam Darnold – 1/10M

Teddy Bridgewater – 1/3M

Tyrod Taylor – 2/11M

Jameis Winston – 1/4M

CJ Beathard – 2/4.5M

Marcus Mariota – 1/6M

Mitch Trubisky – 2/5.25M

Jimmy Garappolo – 1/3.178M

Drew Lock – 1/5M

Jarret Stidham – 2/10M

Cooper Rush – 2/5M

Mike White – 2/8M

Easton Stick – 1/2.66M

Blaine Gabbert – 1/1.3M

Kyle Allen – 1/1.2M

Brett Rypien – 1/1.25M

Tim Boyle – 1/1.15M

Jake Browning – 2/1.945M

Who you got as taking us to the Bowl, ya'll?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tua not being signed yet, and Stafford not getting the upgrade he’s asking for, the Steelers having 2 QBs on one year deals may have something to do with Prescott likely becoming a free agent in March. NY Giants and New Orleans can get free of D. Jones and Carr after this season. The Raiders will be starting an obvious bridge quarterback this season. A bridge to whom? Carolina will be more aware of what they realistically have in Young after this season. Some of these teams may be posturing to be in position to sign Prescott. I doubt it will be $60 million AAV, but Prescott is going to be paid a lot of money to play quarterback in 2025. To sign him today, however, the Cowboys may have to pay $60 million per season.
In the end if you’re in for 55, 60 shouldn’t really make a difference . Unless of course you’re concerned about public perception.
That’s where our ownership is a liability.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I argued that the team was talented because of winning 12 games 3 years in a row, not that a 12 win season isn’t failure. Please don’t lie.
But, but, but a while ago you said the team was one dimensional on both sides of the ball. How did they win those 12 games in three years? You need to keep your stories straight.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ship has sailed as far as I’m concerned. Like every other big name deal in the NFL, the market has only gotten higher and higher.

If the intention was to keep Prescott, it would have, could have, and should have been done long ago.

There’s ZERO reason to do anything now that the market has been reset tens of millions of dollars per year higher.

Sydla

Reaction score

I made zero comment about what anyone should do. My point, which you ignore, is that as QBs start eating up more of a teams cap, some teams very well could see diminishing returns here and decide that maybe, spend your cap space on the roster and try to float with a mid-level QB.

We all know why QBs get paid a ton. But will some teams start to wonder if there isn’t another path forward other than spend 20-25% of your cap on a QB?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They're playing a game of chicken which is unfortunate since this is going to be a wasted season. When was the last time a lameduck QB and/or coach won anything?
I'm pretty sure Flacco was on the last year of his contract when he and the Ravens hoisted the trophy. That was what forced him to get paid way more than he was worth, making him part of a very large fraternity of overpaid QBs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The ship has sailed as far as I’m concerned. Like every other big name deal in the NFL, the market has only gotten higher and higher.

If the intention was to keep Prescott, it would have, could have, and should have been done long ago.

There’s ZERO reason to do anything now that the market has been reset tens of millions of dollars per year higher.
I think a lot of you are grossly underestimating how much Jerry loves having the Cowboys own the news cycle for basically the entire offseason. Every extra dollar waiting costs him will be paid back tenfold in added $$$ to his pockets. Yes it is mismanaging the cap to do business this way.. but he seems hellbent on continuing to do so.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I made zero comment about what anyone should do. My point, which you ignore, is that as QBs start eating up more of a teams cap, some teams very well could see diminishing returns here and decide that maybe, spend your cap space on the roster and try to float with a mid-level QB.

We all know why QBs get paid a ton. But will some teams start to wonder if there isn’t another path forward other than spend 20-25% of your cap on a QB?
I think that will certainly be a consideration if a team can accomplish it. The 49ers have some of the best talent at skill positions in the NFL. Collectively probably the best. They’re not paying their pretty capable quarterback big dollars. They have also not won the Super Bowl. Now that impressive array of talent is getting paid so much they’re struggling to afford to keep it all. There’s no one way, but I suspect we’re reaching the very top end of QB compensation as it’s pointless to have a great QB without sufficient talent to make what you’re paying him worth it, as in worth playoff wins. I agree with your point about “another path forward”. I think the first step on that path will be coaching staffs. Not just the head coach. Big money is going to be spent to put together top notch staffs. There is no cap on what coaches can be paid.