The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

silver

Reaction score
"No, I'm not trying to be the highest paid necessarily," Prescott said, via ESPN's Todd Archer, when asked if he wanted to be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. "We'll wait until the negotiations begin and obviously want to put this team in the best situation."
They're playing a game of chicken which is unfortunate since this is going to be a wasted season. When was the last time a lameduck QB and/or coach won anything?

Beaker42

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
No ****** way. I’d sign Rush or Lance before I signed his choker azz.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
the jones boys can let as many leaves fall as they want.

They also stated months ago it would be during TC that they would start talking to dak, so I dont know why you guys dont
believe that.

It isnt up to us lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
This view confuses me .........I can't think of one quality starter we let walk, wanted to keep but couldn't afford it. Stephen always signs his own players. Romo's contract and now Dak's didn't change that. As a matter of fact, he structures his QB contract for the exact purpose ....kinda like a line of credit. In other words, if we don't extend Dak what do you think is going to happen with the extra $50-55M cap space? Don't say sign CeeDee and Parsons coz we can sign them and extend Dak.
I am not talking about us specifically, I am talking about football in general. QBs are slowly taking up more and more a percentage of a team's cap space. Is there a point where teams start to wonder if tying up 15-25% of cap space in a QB makes more sense than finding a mid-level QB and building a much better roster around him?

Sydla

Reaction score
Did you see the list of QBs between Aikman and Romo? Did you like that level of play?

Did you see how bad Mac Jones was with supposedly one of the greatest coaches ever...the coach couldnt hide the QBs flaws.

I agree the market is out of control...but if I was a GM and the Owner and myself felt we had a competitive team but lacked a QB...I would go get the best QB I could...which means I would outbid other teams if I had to for the best QB I could get. And this situation is the problem that is leap frogged by all "anti-pay" posters and is sidestepped on this website.

I get that teams might be changing their tune...but not with QBs like Dak Prescott...a proven QB that can put up numbers and doesnt turn the ball over. These guys are HIGHLY paid in the league and will continue to be. Colleges arent providing plug and play guys yet.

Bad QB play...especially turnovers...causes fans to turn the channel quick. Less merch sales...harder to grab young fans if the parents arent watching.

Every anti-pay poster on this site is paying Dak if their team needed a QB and felt they had a solid team but just needed a QB or they risk losing their job by trailblazing and going with the rookie QB gamble.
It's like you guys don't even read posts before you get on your Ride or Die for Dak horse.

My post was largely a question. The NFL is often about trends and changes and I wonder given how QBs continue to eat up more and more of a team's cap, will teams start to wonder if spending all of that cap on one player is the only way to make a run.

You bring up Dak. What has paying Dak all that money gotten us? Minnesota paid Cousins a crap ton too. What did that get them? I am beginning to wonder as these QB contracts explode, if some teams suddenly start wondering if there is a different path here.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It's like you guys don't even read posts before you get on your Ride or Die for Dak horse.

My post was largely a question. The NFL is often about trends and changes and I wonder given how QBs continue to eat up more and more of a team's cap, will teams start to wonder if spending all of that cap on one player is the only way to make a run.

You bring up Dak. What has paying Dak all that money gotten us? Minnesota paid Cousins a crap ton too. What did that get them? I am beginning to wonder as these QB contracts explode, if some teams suddenly start wondering if there is a different path here.
Same argument, every single day here. Anything for a reaction.

Same side stepping comments, distracting from important discussion points, avoiding talking about certain talking points...but always, always attacking the player or the contract.

Same thing...every day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Great question: I’ll take a stab at it.

Certainly appears to look like teams will continue exhausting resources in Cap and Draft in attempt to find and retain their Franchise QB (which isn’t necessarily Elite).

Franchise QB’s present the ability to be a playoff contender which is the first order of business or priority.

There’s basically 2 types of teams. One with a Franchise QB, the others looking for one. And the better that QB is the easier to build around.

There’s not really much divide in the pay from the top Franchise QB’s related to their success. Not as much as we’d think except when on Rookie deal.

It’s where Market Price comes into play. Players attempt to get as much as possible when their contract comes up. It usually increases every year as the Cap does as well.

Unfortunately this creates a dilemma where QB’s contracts don’t always represent a pecking order but rather the time they signed.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Whether you are for Dak or against Dak, the Cowboys are screwing this up about as badly as a team could possibly screw this up.

If they think he is the guy, than why didn't they sign him by now? They could have drastically cut his 2024 cap hit and actually did something to improve the roster.

If they don't think he's the guy, than why is he still on the team? Because as it stands now the Cowboys are going to win too many regular season games with Dak to be in position to draft his potential replacement in 2025.

Smart teams pick a direction and execute their plan, whether it works or not. Meanwhile we have Jerruh and Cap Boy sitting on their hands waiting for leaves to fall. Embarrassing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the jones boys can let as many leaves fall as they want.

They also stated months ago it would be during TC that they would start talking to dak, so I dont know why you guys dont
believe that.

It isnt up to us lol.
I’ve maintained all off season that we wouldn’t probably sign until closer to beginning of season.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i dont believe they intend to sign him i think they will let him play out his contract and walk

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whether you are for Dak or against Dak, the Cowboys are screwing this up about as badly as a team could possibly screw this up.

If they think he is the guy, than why didn't they sign him by now? They could have drastically cut his 2024 cap hit and actually did something to improve the roster.

If they don't think he's the guy, than why is he still on the team? Because as it stands now the Cowboys are going to win too many regular season games with Dak to be in position to draft his potential replacement in 2025.

Smart teams pick a direction and execute their plan, whether it works or not. Meanwhile we have Jerruh and Cap Boy sitting on their hands waiting for leaves to fall. Embarrassing.
Yea, it is what it is. Jethro while claiming to be All In on Dak is also playing to public perception not wanting to set Market Price or pull trigger over paying too soon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They're playing a game of chicken which is unfortunate since this is going to be a wasted season. When was the last time a lameduck QB and/or coach won anything?
Has the season started yet? Man I must’ve missed it.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Great question: I’ll take a stab at it.

Certainly appears to look like teams will continue exhausting resources in Cap and Draft in attempt to find and retain their Franchise QB (which isn’t necessarily Elite).

Franchise QB’s present the ability to be a playoff contender which is the first order of business or priority.

There’s basically 2 types of teams. One with a Franchise QB, the others looking for one. And the better that QB is the easier to build around.

There’s not really much divide in the pay from the top Franchise QB’s related to their success. Not as much as we’d think except when on Rookie deal.

It’s where Market Price comes into play. Players attempt to get as much as possible when their contract comes up. It usually increases every year as the Cap does as well.

Unfortunately this creates a dilemma where QB’s contracts don’t always represent a pecking order but rather the time they signed.
If the "trend" goes to this...its bad for the league.

Basically Mahomes is going to run through every team because every other team is letting their good QB that is not Michael Jordan go because he is not showing Michael Jordan ability on the field. Its Mahomes vs teams with rookie QBs. Then...maybe in Mahomes football life another player or two can compete on his level...so now we have 3 teams in the whole league worth watching due to QB play. No one wants to watch the other teams because their QB isnt fun watching turn the ball over.

And...your good QB could be picked up by your division rival and use him to beat you twice a year or in the Playoffs...making you look odd with egg on your face.

Its Michael Jordan or rookie. League will be so bad as a product.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
artworks-000231074547-3z3ppc-t500x500.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the "trend" goes to this...its bad for the league.

Basically Mahomes is going to run through every team because every other team is letting their good QB that is not Michael Jordan go because he is not showing Michael Jordan ability on the field. Its Mahomes vs teams with rookie QBs. Then...maybe in Mahomes football life another player or two can compete on his level...so now we have 3 teams in the whole league worth watching due to QB play. No one wants to watch the other teams because their QB isnt fun watching turn the ball over.

And...your good QB could be picked up by your division rival and use him to beat you twice a year or in the Playoffs...making you look odd with egg on your face.

Its Michael Jordan or rookie. League will be so bad as a product.
The trend is already there. And it’s still experiencing record growth and revenue.

Not all fans have the SB or Bust mentality. Being a contender and more playoff teams keeps more fans entrenched.

There’s really no reason to change.

Sydla

Reaction score
Same argument, every single day here. Anything for a reaction.

Same side stepping comments, distracting from important discussion points, avoiding talking about certain talking points...but always, always attacking the player or the contract.

Same thing...every day.
What are you babbling about?

It's a legitimate discussion point. As QBs take up more and more of a team's cap space, will some teams try a different path and look towards a mid-level QB, and then use the saved cap space to load up the rest of the roster.

Just because it hurts your pro-Dak feelings doesn't make it less of an interesting discussion point.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
No contract let him walk Trey Lance will surprise everyone. He will be the future.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but FO either believes in him or they don’t. They aren’t like fans .
Well fans...either believe in him or they don;t. So;;;it's a wash.

I guess I'm confused on your point. You earlier said they were sold, and then you say not.

I think this front office is just as cautious/split as the fan base in general.