The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

RonnieT24

Reaction score
But the market has been reset and Dak still doesn't have a new contract. Use your brain, man. The FO is telling us their intentions by their actions.
Yes they are but their intention is not what most people believe it to be. It's not to let Dak play out the season without a deal. Jerry's intention, as always, is the keep the Cowboys on the front page. Signing his guys last gets him the most airplay, which in turn makes him the most money. At the end of the day both CD and Dak will have their deals and a lot of the same people, both mediots and fans alike, claiming that Dak was on his way out will pivot to having known all along that he would be signed. Such is the world we live in.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
A year ago they did not retain Elliott because they did not think he could help the team. Now they think he can. “The FO is telling us” they don’t know what they’re trying to do.
Wrong.. they did not retain him because he would not take the bottom of the barrel offer they made. No on in the organization every thought Zeke stopped being a good football player. They simply stopped believing he was a 16 million dollar a year player. And they're not wrong. But it was never about "he couldn't help the team."

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Based on everything our ownership has said thus far , I’d say they go with Option B.

They still believe with Prescott (regardless what we believe) they have a playoff contender which has potential to make a deeper run.

The prospect of starting over and the unknown with another QB probably doesn’t look as attractive to them.

Despite fans frustrations or losing belief most teams would probably continue on with a playoff caliber QB and hope to eventually make progress in playoffs.
Good points.

If think they will go with option B also.

Dak is good enough to get the Cowboys at least a Wildcard most years, Jerry can still sell that and can tell the fans it just takes one year for the team to catch lightning in a bottle.

What Jerry cannot sell.............going 6-10 with Lance at QB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If Jerry and Co. were about money more than winning like a lot of posters around here push...Dak would already be signed because he makes the team watchable on tv with his QB play. That sells jerseys and seats and keeps Dallas in the media.

So...it must not all be about money.

I can only think that there must be things going on behind the scenes that fans arent privy to.

1) Murmurings from coaches that Dak has some flaws with processing. These flaws could make it hard to win in Playoffs with QB market for a QB of Dak's nature eating up tons of cap used to build a team

2) The Jones clan was very put off by Dak and his agent during second contract negotiations. They know that Dak and his agent will not be reasonable and want top dollar even if it means making it harder to build a team

3) Jones boys are dropping the ball with big contracts by waiting too long to sign high dollar positions. This could be the case...but I think its based in hate and lazy.

Ive said for a few years...I think Dak and his agent turned the Jones' off last contract with their demands. Maybe there were some flaws known in the coaching circles...but Dak earned his contract and the team was hopeful Dak would overcome said small but important flaws. Now its time to negotiate 3rd contract, Dak may still have some flaws that coaches bring up to the Jones', Dak has not pulled his team in the Playoffs like a top dollar player should...and to top it off....the Jones' know Dak and his agent are going to play hard ball in a QB market that many are saying is out of hand.

I would be very surprised if the Jones' walked away from Dak after this year. I will be surprised if Dak steps on the field without a contract unless he is just handing it off all game
I dont think Jerry is listening to what the coaches are saying, after all, every single coach on the staff is working under a one-year deal as well, even the new ones hired only got one year deals.

That does not tell me Jerry has much faith in the coaching staff if they are all lame ducks, even a new guy like Zimmer only got a one year deal. That tells me Jerry is thinking about a new HC next year and does not want to have to pay off assistant coaches with years left on their deals.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from ownership, so why would ownership bother to even listen to what the coaches (that even Jerry thinks wont be here next year) say about Dak?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of this. The safe bet is to pay market value. It's what's expected. So failure has no consequences. Don't pay it, and you're seen as a buffoon when you fail as a result.

I guess it depends on your goals. If playoffs is all you want, pay it. I don't see many QBs even reaching the SB with a 15% cap hit. Patrick Mahomes is a freak of nature, an outlier. Once you pay that QB, you have a small window.

Look at Burrow. His extension doesn't even start until next year, and he's currently an 11% cap hit. They're good now. Next year the trouble starts.
You make a good point, it is truly a high risk - high reward scenario.

You dont pay Dak and he walks, you name Lance the starter and he sucks.................team goes from winning 12 games three consecutive seasons to a 5-6 win lottery team.

Jerry and the Cowboys will be the national laughing stock on every single website and news channel, they will all say "stupid Cowboys would not pay Dak and now they suck, LOL"

The opposite could happen, Lance takes over and is the real deal and is even better than Dak.

Its a gamble, a very high risk gamble because if you guess wrong it will set your franchise back for years.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It’s all about the timing of the QB1 transition.

If Lance looks comfortable in preseason, then Jerry can remove up the migration.

Post June 1 cut for Dak is an immediate fix for our cap.

We are desperate for cap $$$.
So, Jerry is going to decide the fate of the entire organization on how Lance looks against vanilla defenses against other team's scrubs in just 3 preseason games?

I highly doubt this is the case, they would want to see Lance against NFL caliber defenses, NFL caliber starters, with NFL caliber schemes like zone blitzes, stunts ,twists, zero cover, man cover, shell, 4 under, 46 exotic, ect....

This is where you see if Lance is the future, not in preseason against other team's scrubs that will be working at home depot week 1 playing high school level base 4-3. This shows nothing.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why now? What is the benefit? They've already bypassed free agency. They have 12M in cap space.

If they don't sign him now, there are 2 scenarios:
1: Dak & the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

2: Dak sucks in the playoffs and/or regular season.

If scenario 2 happens, then I prefer they let him move on.

If scenario 1 happens, then his market price is still set by last QB that signed the biggest contract.
- Tua is not going to get radically more than Trevor Lawrence.
- If Mahomes was in the last year of his contract, then I would worry about the market jumping radically above 55M; however Mahomes is signed for several more seasons.

If Dak hits free agency, the Cowboys likely only have to match the best offer.
- Dak will make far more in endorsements as the Cowboys QB than anywhere else.
These are not the only two scenarios, that is a false dichotomy.

Here are the actual scenarios and there are many.

1. Dak plays statistically the same as last year and the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs due to defense falling off with Quinn leaving.
2. Dak plays statistically the same as last year and the Cowboys make the playoffs, but lose in the first or second round.
3 Dak plays statistically the same as last year and the Cowboys make it to the SuperBowl.
4. Dak plays statistically worse than last year and the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs.
5. Dak plays statistically worse than last year and the Cowboys still make the playoffs but lose in the first or second round.
6. Dak plays statistically worse than last year but the Cowboys still make the NFCCG or SB due to an outstanding defense.
7. Dak could become injured during the season.

That right there is seven possible scenarios where Dak plays anywhere from totally sucking to being in the MVP race to being injured, so there are many, many more scenarios than just the two you listed where Dak and the Cowboys either win the SB or Dak sucks.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

You dont pay Dak and he walks, you name Lance the starter and he sucks.................team goes from winning 12 games three consecutive seasons to a 5-6 win lottery team.

Jerry and the Cowboys will be the national laughing stock on every single website and news channel, they will all say "stupid Cowboys would not pay Dak and now they suck, LOL"

The opposite could happen, Lance takes over and is the real deal and is even better than Dak.

Its a gamble, a very high risk gamble because if you guess wrong it will set your franchise back for years.
Actually no. If you committed to rebuilding the team then this would be part of the strategy and you wouldn't have to explain anything. Moving on often means it's getting worse at first but will get better in the long run. But Jerry is too stupid for that. And he doesn't wanna lose the jersey sales.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry? Serious about winning a championship? That might be the funniest thing I have heard all month. Jerry has constantly said he would do anything to win another super bowl, but there is one thing he will never do to actually give it a chance of happening.

So what should be made of his comment? He isn't really all that interested in winning another championship, especially if the cost is him having to make a necessary sacrifice. He's even admitted he should have been fired, but he still refuses to make that move.
Most valuable sports entertainment franchise in the world over 5 years running.
That's Jerry's Super Bowl.

Flamma

Reaction score

Even if Lance was the real deal, he's going to want to get paid too. What most likely would happen is we'll be picking in the top 10, maybe top 5. That pick can't be a bust. Jerry would have to pass it off as semi rebuild. But he has no interest in doing that.

kskboys

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
W/ Dak's playoff ineptitude, it would have been unwise to extend him. Prolly unwise to reup him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think most fans are ready to move on. Just not sure Jethro is yet.
Tough one. Did you see the extreme defeat in his presser? He looked beaten, because his ineptitude as a GM has become glaring once again. Jerry built teams don't win playoff games. He's never learned that it's not flash and glitter that wins in the playoffs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tough one. Did you see the extreme defeat in his presser? He looked beaten, because his ineptitude as a GM has become glaring once again. Jerry built teams don't win playoff games. He's never learned that it's not flash and glitter that wins in the playoffs.
Bold> Part of that glassy look was due to not understanding why coaches and players failed him but not the other way around.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont think Jerry is listening to what the coaches are saying, after all, every single coach on the staff is working under a one-year deal as well, even the new ones hired only got one year deals.

That does not tell me Jerry has much faith in the coaching staff if they are all lame ducks, even a new guy like Zimmer only got a one year deal. That tells me Jerry is thinking about a new HC next year and does not want to have to pay off assistant coaches with years left on their deals.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from ownership, so why would ownership bother to even listen to what the coaches (that even Jerry thinks wont be here next year) say about Dak?
True.

The changing of the coaches screams Jerry is trying to win too, though.

Why have all these lame ducks when your current head coach has gone 12-5 for 3 years running and made playoffs?

At this stage...I would assume Jerry and Co. have factored in everything Will McClay and his staff have informed Jerry about Dak's flaws and weighed that against the current QB market.

I only mentioned that because there is just such a cult of people that claim Dak has major issues with processing or beating a certain zone. If that was the case...I think Will McClay would know about it and know if it was worth paying the man and eating up most of the cap to build a team. My opinion is...every QB has issues processing except a couple(Rogers, Mahomes type players).

Jerry wants to win and make money.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course but everyone was dejected and deflated after that debacle. He’s had months to recover from making emotional reaction.

I’m just not sure he’s ready to start over risking not having a Franchise QB. We’ll see.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wrong.. they did not retain him because he would not take the bottom of the barrel offer they made. No on in the organization every thought Zeke stopped being a good football player. They simply stopped believing he was a 16 million dollar a year player. And they're not wrong. But it was never about "he couldn't help the team."
Yup. It was purely about money.

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course but everyone was dejected and deflated after that debacle. He’s had months to recover from making emotional reaction.

I’m just not sure he’s ready to start over risking not having a Franchise QB. We’ll see.
Once again, tough one. I've never seen the defeat in Jerry's eyes that was there after the GB loss. It was different.

I have no idea what his plan is. My best conjecture is that he's now going to "show" Dak what it's going to be like if we pay him big money. Jerry is childish like that.

kskboys

Reaction score
True.

The changing of the coaches screams Jerry is trying to win too, though.

Why have all these lame ducks when your current head coach has gone 12-5 for 3 years running and made playoffs?

At this stage...I would assume Jerry and Co. have factored in everything Will McClay and his staff have informed Jerry about Dak's flaws and weighed that against the current QB market.

I only mentioned that because there is just such a cult of people that claim Dak has major issues with processing or beating a certain zone. If that was the case...I think Will McClay would know about it and know if it was worth paying the man and eating up most of the cap to build a team. My opinion is...every QB has issues processing except a couple(Rogers, Mahomes type players).

Jerry wants to win and make money.
Of course he has issues processing. No reason to call it a cult, that's really weak.

How do you know McClay doesn't know? Thing is, Dak is a top 15 QB. Top 15 QB's are very hard to find. That's why they might pay him. (No reason whatsoever to argue about where you put him!!!!)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Apparently, the Cowboys FO is awaiting training camp and the preseason to reward Dak for his years of service to the team. It's a fact that he has performed better than anticipated in the regular season and has yet to fully prove himself an equal blessing in the playoffs. Let's give all due credit for his services of the past, with the hopes for even better results in the playoffs. I think he's aware of that obligation and willing to improve if he can.