The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak has too much dead cap $$$.

Next season, when Dak is gone, the team will still have a $40 million hit.

Followed by a $12 million cap hit in 26.

It’s best for the team to go ahead and cut Dak…post June 1.

POST-6/1 RELEASE​

2024 Dead Cap: $26,455,000
2025 Dead Cap: $40,460,000
2024 Savings: $29,000,000. <<<<<==== immediate fix for our 2024 cap
And you think this is what our ownership is going to do?

If they were indeed intent on releasing him, now would be the time.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
And you think this is what our ownership is going to do?

If they were indeed intent on releasing him, now would be the time.
Lance.

If they continue to like what they see in Preseason/camp, then they may be tempted to let Dak go early.

They still need 15-20 million in cap before week 1.

It’s the obvious solution.

We have 20 million in dead cap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lance.

If they continue to like what they see in Preseason/camp, then they may be tempted to let Dak go early.

We’ll see if our ownership agrees with you.

shabazz

Reaction score
I was talking about becoming a non playoff team after he’s gone.

While I agree many fans are ready to move on I’m not sure our ownership is.

We’ll see how it shakes out , I won’t be shocked if Dak is intent on holding out for highest bidder next year , but I’ll be very surprised if Jethro &Son are ready to move on.

I suspect this frustration is less than not being able to find a QB who can at least get you to the playoffs. There’s more at risk than just the results on the field for ownership.
Oh, I see.

Reading Jerry is nearly impossible in the past but starting with the release of several of "our kind of guys' shows a different direction.

This time is he going the approach of restarting the contract hourglass by going with a rookie qb or resigning Dak to a mega contract?.....only they know

csirl

Reaction score
I think people will.be pleasantly surprised at how well the Cowboys do without Dak, regardless of who takes over at QB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep

I get everyone’s frustration with Prescott. I feel the same way. It’s been very tough emotionally. But most teams don’t throw away a playoff caliber QB for the unknown.

Now if we hadn’t made the playoffs for a couple years then the argument would be much stronger. Coming off 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and a couple division titles with the regular season numbers he’s put up is not a horrific place to be despite the historic futility and disappointment in playoffs.
I feel the same. I do not at all see them going into the unknown at QB. They will absolutely pay the freight in the end.

What’s crazy to me, and of course I’m guessing here, but it appears they are hoping that somehow Trey Lance is the answer to this problem.

This is easy to say and trite at this point, but I honestly think they have no idea what to do in the spot they are in, and I think there’s a very good chance they aren’t all on the same page.

Forget the “all in” crap. They issued a statement saying that they thought they were “close,” they proceeded to do virtually nothing to get past that point.

I really don’t know how you build a team that you publicly admit isn’t quite good enough, but then shrug your shoulders and say there’s no money available to improve. Isn’t that YOUR fault? But I suppose that doesn’t matter in Dallas.

I do at times wonder exactly how much longer they are going to be able to sell this act though.

Its not about the lack of championships, it’s that they haven’t come close in 30 years under a structure that no other pro sports team uses, yet the idea of any type of change is never considered.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I feel the same. I do not at all see them going into the unknown at QB. They will absolutely pay the freight in the end.

What’s crazy to me, and of course I’m guessing here, but it appears they are hoping that somehow Trey Lance is the answer to this problem.

This is easy to say and trite at this point, but I honestly think they have no idea what to do in the spot they are in, and I think there’s a very good chance they aren’t all on the same page.

Forget the “all in” crap. They issued a statement saying that they thought they were “close,” they proceeded to do virtually nothing to get past that point.

I really don’t know how you build a team that you publicly admit isn’t quite good enough, but then shrug your shoulders and say there’s no money available to improve. Isn’t that YOUR fault? But I suppose that doesn’t matter in Dallas.

I do at times wonder exactly how much longer they are going to be able to sell this act though.

Its not about the lack of championships, it’s that they haven’t come close in 30 years under a structure that no other pro sports team uses, yet the idea of any type of change is never considered.
This crap has been working for almost 30 years. And it continues bringing in record revenue. Why change?

I waved my white flag years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, I see.

Reading Jerry is nearly impossible in the past but starting with the release of several of "our kind of guys' shows a different direction.

This time is he going the approach of restarting the contract hourglass by going with a rookie qb or resigning Dak to a mega contract?.....only they know
Yep. And that’s my intention here. Trying to read what they’ll do. Not what we’d hope or want them to do.

its difficult seeing them ready to start over or risking having a lesser than playoff caliber QB. It’s pretty much normal protocol in NFL to over pay for QB’s no better than Prescott has been.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Simple solution to this problem is for teams and most importantly fans stop defending the use of the starting qb in garbage time, bad losses.

You could discover a 'gamer' if you let 2nd and 3rd string guys play more when the game is already decided.

Leaning into excuses like "it's reps for the starter because collective bargaining agreement limits practice snaps" or "he's being paid big money to work"....it's just making it harder to find the next mahomes.

Start there. Then...move on to preventing coaches from ruining a kids game by over instructing him. Just because your a coach doesn't mean you have to treat a kid like he's your play-do and possibly ruin his game by getting in his head about his style or making him think to much.

Next...start looking at gamers on film...not just guys with measureables.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
It’s not their intention. Isn’t that clear?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lance.

The Cowboys will have anywhere from $83 to $100 million-plus cap room next season. A new Lamb deal plus the expected cap increase could push that room to $120 million.

So they have plenty of room to absorb any dead money from Dak next year. The problem is, that's a really large amount to pay a player no longer on the team.

Moving forward with Lance signals a full-blown rebuild. And if they want to do that, they should just move on from not just Dak, but Lamb and Parsons as well. Trade both of them for 1st round picks. The thing is, the Cowboys have not shown any intention to rebuild, and they have not shown much intention to win right now.

They're just sitting there. Personally I think there is a disagreement within the organization about what direction they want to go. That's why everything has been so stagnant.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We’ll see if our ownership agrees with you.
It’s all about the timing of the QB1 transition.

If Lance looks comfortable in preseason, then Jerry can remove up the migration.

Post June 1 cut for Dak is an immediate fix for our cap.

We are desperate for cap $$$.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
Why now? What is the benefit? They've already bypassed free agency. They have 12M in cap space.

If they don't sign him now, there are 2 scenarios:
1: Dak & the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

2: Dak sucks in the playoffs and/or regular season.

If scenario 2 happens, then I prefer they let him move on.

If scenario 1 happens, then his market price is still set by last QB that signed the biggest contract.
- Tua is not going to get radically more than Trevor Lawrence.
- If Mahomes was in the last year of his contract, then I would worry about the market jumping radically above 55M; however Mahomes is signed for several more seasons.

If Dak hits free agency, the Cowboys likely only have to match the best offer.
- Dak will make far more in endorsements as the Cowboys QB than anywhere else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why now? What is the benefit? They've already bypassed free agency. They have 12M in cap space.

If they don't sign him now, there are 2 scenarios:
1: Dak & the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

2: Dak sucks in the playoffs and/or regular season.

If scenario 2 happens, then I prefer they let him move on.

If scenario 1 happens, then his market price is still set by last QB that signed the biggest contract.
- Tua is not going to get radically more than Trevor Lawrence.
- If Mahomes was in the last year of his contract, then I would worry about the market jumping radically above 55M; however Mahomes is signed for several more seasons.

If Dak hits free agency, the Cowboys likely only have to match the best offer.
- Dak will make far more in endorsements as the Cowboys QB than anywhere else.
The only reason they’d need to sign him now assuming they intend to retain him is once the season starts Dak will probably want to test FA.

And if he still needs to prove himself with our ownership it’s a bad leap of faith and spells it’s time to move on regardless the results this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do wonder if some teams are going to break the franchise QB mold and start churning QBs on their roster and just trying to build a great roster around a QB. The Ravens/Dilfer method.

These QB contracts are out of control and in reality there are like maybe 2-3 worth that much coin, Mahomes being an obvious one.

This might be the Cowboys thinking. The cost is too much, let Dak play out his deal, turn to Lance and draft a developmental QB. Use cap savings to build a better team around Lance. The only flaw in this is that the Cowboys are $%#Q$#Q# cheap in FA so they won't build crap for Lance.
55M is 21.5% of the 2024 salary cap.

Mahomes contract was 22.7% of the cap for the year he signed it.

Aikman's final contract was 19% of the cap for the year he signed it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Cowboys will have anywhere from $83 to $100 million-plus cap room next season. A new Lamb deal plus the expected cap increase could push that room to $120 million.

So they have plenty of room to absorb any dead money from Dak next year. The problem is, that's a really large amount to pay a player no longer on the team.

Moving forward with Lance signals a full-blown rebuild. And if they want to do that, they should just move on from not just Dak, but Lamb and Parsons as well. Trade both of them for 1st round picks. The thing is, the Cowboys have not shown any intention to rebuild, and they have not shown much intention to win right now.

They're just sitting there. Personally I think there is a disagreement within the organization about what direction they want to go. That's why everything has been so stagnant.
Fully agree with the last paragraph.

That’s the eventual result of GM by committee when the top two aren’t qualified and don’t actually do the necessary work themselves even if they were.

I’d wager anything there’s been instances when McClay or whoever they have handling it recommends a certain free agent and Stephen shoots it down for being too expensive, meanwhile he has no idea who that player even is.