The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I do wonder if some teams are going to break the franchise QB mold and start churning QBs on their roster and just trying to build a great roster around a QB. The Ravens/Dilfer method.

These QB contracts are out of control and in reality there are like maybe 2-3 worth that much coin, Mahomes being an obvious one.

This might be the Cowboys thinking. The cost is too much, let Dak play out his deal, turn to Lance and draft a developmental QB. Use cap savings to build a better team around Lance. The only flaw in this is that the Cowboys are $%#Q$#Q# cheap in FA so they won't build crap for Lance.
Did you see the list of QBs between Aikman and Romo? Did you like that level of play?

Did you see how bad Mac Jones was with supposedly one of the greatest coaches ever...the coach couldnt hide the QBs flaws.

I agree the market is out of control...but if I was a GM and the Owner and myself felt we had a competitive team but lacked a QB...I would go get the best QB I could...which means I would outbid other teams if I had to for the best QB I could get. And this situation is the problem that is leap frogged by all "anti-pay" posters and is sidestepped on this website.

I get that teams might be changing their tune...but not with QBs like Dak Prescott...a proven QB that can put up numbers and doesnt turn the ball over. These guys are HIGHLY paid in the league and will continue to be. Colleges arent providing plug and play guys yet.

Bad QB play...especially turnovers...causes fans to turn the channel quick. Less merch sales...harder to grab young fans if the parents arent watching.

Every anti-pay poster on this site is paying Dak if their team needed a QB and felt they had a solid team but just needed a QB or they risk losing their job by trailblazing and going with the rookie QB gamble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So if I understand this Clarence is saying what Dak can possibly get on the open market and how far Jerry might be willing to go are two different things. In other words, if the value escalates to $60M, they may let him walk..........
That’s my take as well. And it could be 60+ Prescott is seeking . But it’s all speculation at this point .

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Are we talking about the same guy ?
Did you follow him the last few years ?

Anyways..

Dak is done here. This is his farewell season.
What is the point of granting him a “farewell season”? If the Cowboys know they are not re-signing him, and obviously know they can’t trade him because they granted him a no trade clause, is it worthwhile keeping him for the 2024 season simply to gain a comp 3rd round draft pick in 2026? Wouldn’t it make more sense to get started on the future without Dak Prescott in the roster?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most of the leaves fall in November.....let's wait till then and see how he's playing.

AFC North is a comming.
I realize fans need Prescott to prove more but that’s not generally how FO’s view it. They either believe he’s enough to build around or not.

They aren’t waiting for the team to have more success. That’s just the fans. It’s about the money with them. Even if we had more success they might not be willing to pay him to dollar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How would fans feel if Prescott took us to the Super Bowl and we let him walk?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What is the point of granting him a “farewell season”? If the Cowboys know they are not re-signing him, and obviously know they can’t trade him because they granted him a no trade clause, is it worthwhile keeping him for the 2024 season simply to gain a comp 3rd round draft pick in 2026? Wouldn’t it make more sense to get started on the future without Dak Prescott in the roster?
Yea, the farewell season is hopeful by a segment of fans. But our ownership hadn’t provided any indications they are prepared to move on.

The fact they haven’t resigned him yet isn’t an indictation they are totally prepared to move on. It just states it’s more about the money than whether they believe in him or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think they want to even pay him even $50 million/yr past this season. Dak has had almost a decade to get over the "Deer in Headlights-itis" come bigger games. I'm pretty sure they don't want to pay top $ for that anymore.
They’d jump on 50 mil per.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yea, the farewell season is hopeful by a segment of fans. But our ownership hadn’t provided any indications they are prepared to move on.

The fact they haven’t resigned him yet isn’t an indictation they are totally prepared to move on. It just states it’s more about the money than whether they believe in him or not.
If it's a money issue then they are basically ready to move on IMO. Dak is only going to get more expensive from here. He has no reason to suddenly cave to the Cowboys demands before the season starts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did you see the list of QBs between Aikman and Romo? Did you like that level of play?

Did you see how bad Mac Jones was with supposedly one of the greatest coaches ever...the coach couldnt hide the QBs flaws.

I agree the market is out of control...but if I was a GM and the Owner and myself felt we had a competitive team but lacked a QB...I would go get the best QB I could...which means I would outbid other teams if I had to for the best QB I could get. And this situation is the problem that is leap frogged by all "anti-pay" posters and is sidestepped on this website.

I get that teams might be changing their tune...but not with QBs like Dak Prescott...a proven QB that can put up numbers and doesnt turn the ball over. These guys are HIGHLY paid in the league and will continue to be. Colleges arent providing plug and play guys yet.

Bad QB play...especially turnovers...causes fans to turn the channel quick. Less merch sales...harder to grab young fans if the parents arent watching.

Every anti-pay poster on this site is paying Dak if their team needed a QB and felt they had a solid team but just needed a QB or they risk losing their job by trailblazing and going with the rookie QB gamble.
Unfortunately this is true. The NFL has lowered the bar on what they consider is Franchise QB quality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If it's a money issue then they are basically ready to move on IMO. Dak is only going to get more expensive from here. He has no reason to suddenly cave to the Cowboys demands before the season starts.
When I say it’s about the money, it means they want to pay as little as possible. Not that they are prepared to walk away.

It’s entirely possible Prescott is prepared to move on if he doesn’t get top dollar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What do you mean by "the leaves have fallen"? We are within a week of the start of Summer. The leaves have not fallen.
The “ waiting on the leaves to fall” is a quote from Jethro referring to he was waiting to see where some of these other contracts Franchise QB’s would sign before beginning negotiations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Signing Dak to.a bloated contract is a waste of both time and money. Have him play out his current contract and move on. At 30 he isn't going to get any better, beating up the lower tier teams is what he is going to give you.
Which for some franchises means making the playoffs which is a big improvement .

But in SB or Bust mentality for many Cowboy fans it isn’t enough. Some would rather risk hitting rock bottom again until we can find another Elite QB rather than continue trying to build around a lesser than Elite QB.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The best way to look at the QB market is by looking at it like the vital organ market. Organs are in small supply yet they keep people alive...so prices are high.

All the posters talking as if they have no feelings and would shun a life saving organ because they dont like the prices and would let their loved one die instead are not telling the truth about the situation or they are not "human" that needs organs.

Now...these posters will say "this isnt life or death and isnt that serious"....yet they will belittle and hate on Dak and his contract as if its super serious.

QB's are in high demand and teams pay...Franchise worthy or not

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lawrence is different from Dak. He's still on a rookie deal so his cap hits are low. They didn't need to hurry his contract. But Dak with a 60M cap hit, why they hell would you wait this long to extend him? Instead, they restructured his deal to lower is cap by 5M.

If they intended to sign him this year, there would be no need for the 5M restructure, or to let every player walk. Granted, they weren't great, but we could have kept a few. To extend him now and open up 20-30 million in cap space makes no sense. That's like drinking the water before you flush the toilet.

Dak is playing out this season. That is the final purple leaf falling. Jerry is looking for a reason to pay him. Or else he's playing someplace else.
Probably cause they had no intention of participating in FA. Their focus was on resigning Dak and Lamb. The 5m restructure was just normal protocol and it loosened up enough to sign the draftees.

I’d say once they sign Dak it will loosen up enough Cap space to sign Lamb and maybe offer Micah a deal a year early.

We’ll see what happens . But if a deal isn’t done by the season then it’s possible we won’t sign Dak or Lamb. If you don’t have a QB, certainly don’t need a WR.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The best way to look at the QB market is by looking at it like the vital organ market. Organs are in small supply yet they keep people alive...so prices are high.

All the posters talking as if they have no feelings and would shun a life saving organ because they dont like the prices and would let their loved one die instead are not telling the truth about the situation or they are not "human" that needs organs.

Now...these posters will say "this isnt life or death and isnt that serious"....yet they will belittle and hate on Dak and his contract as if its super serious.

QB's are in high demand and teams pay...Franchise worthy or not
Right. And why teams continue such high capital and risk in the draft.

There’s never been such a demand for Franchise QB’s.

Basically 2 types of teams now. One with a Franchise QB and ones looking for one. The better they are the easier to build around.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When I say it’s about the money, it means they want to pay as little as possible. Not that they are prepared to walk away.

It’s entirely possible Prescott is prepared to move on if he doesn’t get top dollar.
"No, I'm not trying to be the highest paid necessarily," Prescott said, via ESPN's Todd Archer, when asked if he wanted to be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. "We'll wait until the negotiations begin and obviously want to put this team in the best situation."

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"No, I'm not trying to be the highest paid necessarily," Prescott said, via ESPN's Todd Archer, when asked if he wanted to be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. "We'll wait until the negotiations begin and obviously want to put this team in the best situation."
You already posted that. Oh, did you not see the "necessarily" part? He is so freaking fake.