The leaves have fallen, time to sign Prescott

Flamma

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
Lawrence is different from Dak. He's still on a rookie deal so his cap hits are low. They didn't need to hurry his contract. But Dak with a 60M cap hit, why they hell would you wait this long to extend him? Instead, they restructured his deal to lower is cap by 5M.

If they intended to sign him this year, there would be no need for the 5M restructure, or to let every player walk. Granted, they weren't great, but we could have kept a few. To extend him now and open up 20-30 million in cap space makes no sense. That's like drinking the water before you flush the toilet.

Dak is playing out this season. That is the final purple leaf falling. Jerry is looking for a reason to pay him. Or else he's playing someplace else.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Lawrence is different from Dak. He's still on a rookie deal so his cap hits are low. They didn't need to hurry his contract. But Dak with a 60M cap hit, why they hell would you wait this long to extend him? Instead, they restructured his deal to lower is cap by 5M.

If they intended to sign him this year, there would be no need for the 5M restructure, or to let every player walk. Granted, they weren't great, but we could have kept a few. To extend him now and open up 20-30 million in cap space makes no sense. That's like drinking the water before you flush the toilet.

Dak is playing out this season. That is the final purple leaf falling. Jerry is looking for a reason to pay him. Or else he's playing someplace else.
Dak was given his bloated contract with expectations and I will bet you those expectations didn't include coming in second in mvp voting and crapping the bed in the playoffs consistently. Yea we can argue that he didn't have a running game or whatever other spruce goose he needs to win against the better teams, but at the end of the day when you bet on yourself there is another side of that bet. He met some of the goals and failed miserably at others. Those failures will be the point where the demands for 60 -65 million fall flat. He has not prove to be better than any of the top guys making 55 mil, yes that includes Goff. When it mattered those guys stepped up, and when it mattered Dak Prescott failed.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak was given his bloated contract with expectations and I will bet you those expectations didn't include coming in second in mvp voting and crapping the bed in the playoffs consistently. Yea we can argue that he didn't have a running game or whatever other spruce goose he needs to win against the better teams, but at the end of the day when you bet on yourself there is another side of that bet. He met some of the goals and failed miserably at others. Those failures will be the point where the demands for 60 -65 million fall flat. He has not prove to be better than any of the top guys making 55 mil, yes that includes Goff. When it mattered those guys stepped up, and when it mattered Dak Prescott failed.
They need to move on from Dak. Paying him 50-60M is mental. Lawrence is still growing. We know what we have in Dak. If other teams like Atlanta want to pay a QB that chokes, that doesn't mean Dallas has to copy that formula. Trade Lamb or Parsons, lose Dak, and move up in the draft for a QB. Preferably Lamb. That will get us at minimum a first. And we'll only win about 6-7 games. Putting us high in the draft.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesn't really matter if he signs now or later at this point.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
200w.gif
My comment was a bit harsh, lol. In reality, at where both are in terms of QB I would rather have Dak than Lawrence but the Jags have no choice but to have faith in him still and have tried for years to be lousy to build around him.....unsuccessful so far though

Brax

Reaction score
I’m not promoting him staying here. And it hasnt been determined if he’s staying or not .

All I can do is follow what our owners have maintained not fans wishes.

But I’d suspect if he isn’t signed by beginning of season he probably is done here.
Unfortunately I believe like you JJ will sign him even though he’s an abysmal playoff QB but Jerry doesn’t care about that, the team stays relevant with regular season wins against poor teams so all is good in Jerry’s world, seeing Jerry crying after the Dak GB debacle is worth every penny Dak gets. If Dak is smart he will enter FA hoping Jerry will get in a bidding war and Jerry is just stupid enough to do it and then brag afterwards how their plan worked out perfectly and all the Dakchoka fans will be complaining about how poor Dakie has to play with a bunch of jags and how he’s carrying the team. What a sad state of affairs when you pay a QB renowned for choking against playoff caliber teams. Dak The MVP of choke year in and out.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I really don’t care either way. I truly do not.

While everyone was only hearing “all in,” he also said that they want to retain Dak, but he “has to work with us.”

Meaning nothing other than they want a discount. There’s no reason at all for that to happen. You’re paid based on supply/demand and timing, not necessarily accomplishment.

I’m surprised at how many around here ignore the idea that just maybe Prescott is the one has decided it’s time to move on.

He has way more options than Jerry does, and if I were him I’d be WAY gone and quit taking most of the blame for the incompetence of the front office, one that doesn’t appear interested in even trying to field the best team possible.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s shocking to me how many sports fans don’t understand the concept of “worth”. So much so that they often don’t even use the word correctly in context.

It makes all these discussions largely pointless, because there is a fundamental disconnect in definitions. Add in the fact that the average sports fan has a below average IQ (they’ve actually studied this believe it or not) and you end up with people who say incomprehensible things like “X quarterback isn’t worth Y amount because he doesn’t have Z accomplishment”.
What's your point?

Are you denying that a decent to good QB eating up huge chunks of a teams' cap space, makes it tougher to then sign and put around him enough star talent to win?

Forneymike

Reaction score
With Trevor Lawrence signing today ; 275 million for 5 years … the leaves have fallen.

Goff signed a few weeks ago. Don’t think we need to wait on Tua. Enough leaves have fallen.

The new Market has been set. 55 million. Dak cannot demand anymore. It’s time for Jethro & Son to get a deal done if that’s their intention.
This is a prove it year for Dak. If he gets to a SB, then they will resign him, if not, then he walks I think and we spend the next 5-7 years trying to find a QB. The good news will be the people on this forum who hate Dak can go away and find something else to complain about since they are getting what they want. I'm not sold on Dak but the hatred for this guy on this site is unreal and shows a lack of any football knowledge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is a prove it year for Dak. If he gets to a SB, then they will resign him, if not, then he walks I think and we spend the next 5-7 years trying to find a QB. The good news will be the people on this forum who hate Dak can go away and find something else to complain about since they are getting what they want. I'm not sold on Dak but the hatred for this guy on this site is unreal and shows a lack of any football knowledge.
My stance here is not pro or anti Dak but rather providing my perspective on what I anticipate our owner to do based on his rhetoric throughout.

Everything he’s said is he’s already All In on Dak. It’s just a matter of coming to an agreement if they can. It’s up to Dak whether he wants to stay or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don’t care either way. I truly do not.

While everyone was only hearing “all in,” he also said that they want to retain Dak, but he “has to work with us.”

Meaning nothing other than they want a discount. There’s no reason at all for that to happen. You’re paid based on supply/demand and timing, not necessarily accomplishment.

I’m surprised at how many around here ignore the idea that just maybe Prescott is the one has decided it’s time to move on.

He has way more options than Jerry does, and if I were him I’d be WAY gone and quit taking most of the blame for the incompetence of the front office, one that doesn’t appear interested in even trying to field the best team possible.
Good take based on what both sides have said not our own personal sentiments. Jethro is still All In. But he doesn’t want to set the new Market Price .

Yes, it’s ultimately up to Prescott if he’s willing to stay for a a reasonable amount which looks to be about 55+, not 60+. He may want to test the waters next year moving on.

Sydla

Reaction score
People get confused between team accomplishments and individual accomplishments and incorrectly correlate one with the other.

In layman's terms, the fact that the Cowboys have not won a lot of playoff games does not, in and of itself, have any bearing on Dak's contract.

Dak's contract will be determined soley by market forces, just like all commodity assets are.

Considering Dak is in his prime, has only suffered one major injury during his career, has been to multiple probowls, was MVP runner up, and statistically is one of the best QBs in the NFL, it is only logical to assume his value will be similar to what the current market rate is ($52-$55 million as of today).

Spottract has Dak's current market value as $50,877,850........................fairly close to the 52-55 range I listed above.
Yes, based on the market, Dak's contract is in that $50-55MM AAV range and accordingly will carry some large cap hits at some point. Yes, by his peers and the market, his "worth" is that 50-55MM AAV.

But the question is at what point does it become cost prohibitive to sign a QB like that where it becomes more difficult to sign enough quality players around that QB to be enough to put them over the top?

Does Dak or any similar QB eating up around 15-25% of the cap in a given year make sense if that QB also needs a high quality team around him to succeed? There is no doubt that signing a QB to a massive contract like Dak will get has a trickle down effect to the quality and quantity of other players they can sign. I wonder if there is going to be an inflection point here where teams start to think that maybe it makes sense to not eat up 15-25% of their cap in a given year on a good, not great QB and instead, build a super roster and try to win with a mid-level QB eating up much less cap space.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

What is your honest take? sign or walk

Flamma

Reaction score
What is your honest take? sign or walk
I think Jerry will make the decision after he plays out the 2024 season. It will all hinge on how Dak and the Cowboys do in 2024. If it's a season like the 1994 Cowboys, I'm sure Dak will get a new contract. But I don't think that's going to happen. What they do after this season is anybody's guess.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But the question is at what point does it become cost prohibitive to sign a QB like that where it becomes more difficult to sign enough quality players around that QB to be enough to put them over the top?
This view confuses me .........I can't think of one quality starter we let walk, wanted to keep but couldn't afford it. Stephen always signs his own players. Romo's contract and now Dak's didn't change that. As a matter of fact, he structures his QB contract for the exact purpose ....kinda like a line of credit. In other words, if we don't extend Dak what do you think is going to happen with the extra $50-55M cap space? Don't say sign CeeDee and Parsons coz we can sign them and extend Dak.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Saving money on Prescott will not mean these two will start signing free agents like they never have.

The difference is eventually paying a guy like Sam Williams 12-15m per or letting him walk.

They’d throw more money than needed at Daron Bland, etc…then shrug their shoulders and claim there’s no money left.

I still can’t believe they are paying Steele 17m in 2025 and it’s already guaranteed.

As cheap as they are otherwise, they have no problem overpaying their own. They think it validates them as ‘football guys,’ and that’s exactly where your Dak savings would go.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Regardless however we feel. The leaves have fallen. No more excuses for Jethro & Son.

It’s time to put up or shut up with Dak. Either resign him or let it be known he’s gone . The Market Price has been set.
It is a process

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Jerry will make the decision after he plays out the 2024 season. It will all hinge on how Dak and the Cowboys do in 2024. If it's a season like the 1994 Cowboys, I'm sure Dak will get a new contract. But I don't think that's going to happen. What they do after this season is anybody's guess.
Let say Jerry extended him $60M .........what do you think fans/media reaction will be? Especially after his first bad game or every interception. I honestly think this is why Jerry and Dak have agreed to play it out. If Dak has a career season new deal and everyone is happy but average he could be on a new team 2025.