The media criticism the last 72 hours has been vicious

alicetooljam

Reaction score
All publicity is good publicity to Jerry. I agree with you on that point. But I bet you McCarthy is a little shocked how fierce the criticism has been this early in his stint in Dallas.

After a 1-3 start that took a recovered onside for the 1 win? I dont think McCarthy is the least bit shocked of the criticism so far in Dallas.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Still only 4 games in, folks.

Crap division and 6 games vs them remaining vs those teams.

The opportunity is still ahead of these guys IF they can take it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

thats the problem they as usual they are blowing another opportunity

Zordon

Reaction score
Good thing is, that's when these overhyped "stars" usually respond and play harder. It's been that way for years.
They will run up the score on the Giants like the front runners they are and then spend all next week patting themselves on the back. Jerry will be back on the radio on Monday talking about the Super Bowl and the DFW media will let up on these players. I've seen this movie before.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
And though I’m not a contract expert, there are outs for the Cowboys regarding Smith and DLaw in year 2020, meaning Jerry can drop these bums.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jaylon-smith-18982/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

And DLaw’s contract brought 12 million in actual savings to make room early on, as part of what they thought as a SB run.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...estructure-void-year-salary-cap-dak-prescott/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...estructure-void-year-salary-cap-dak-prescott/

Paying Dak five years at a high rate, is utterly asinine.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

a 4th seed is our only chance. That means winning the Div.

the Skins and Eagles are better than us.

erod

Reaction score
And he let go of the one coach who was able to steer thru these dysfunctional messes his poor decisions delivered. Not a great coach but great at preventing total collapses holding the ship together wading thru our ownerships missteps.

I've long appreciated Garrett for his ability to navigate through the Jerry Horror Picture Show and keep the team focused.

Garrett's teams played hard. What we've seen this year isn't a team playing hard.

Questionable playcalling aside, the team at least looked ready to play.

Not this year. I'm not sure what that is.

erod

Reaction score
Dak's stats weren't "meaningless" when the Cowboys closed to within 41-38 with over 3 minutes to play. They became meaningless 2 plays later when the defense crapped the bed again for another long TD.

Dysfunctional is putting it mildly. Worst still, the men who presided over it becoming this way believe they are the ones to fix it. :facepalm:
According to Jerry, they were meaningless. And he's right.

Why Cleveland decided to play prevent only and take their foot off the gas offensively.....that's their issue.

41-14 means it's over unless the team in the lead goes full you know what.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
there is something very wrong with this team some of it is talent but it goes deeper than that lots of it is coaching adn front office i am just not sure what is really wrong with this team

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Everything about it feels different. I'm not sure if these guys even want to win. You have a defense where each player is out there freelancing and an offense that disappears for 2-3 quarters a game. Not to mention a special teams unit, while creative, but still manages to make at least 2 bonehead plays a game. These guys constantly shoot phrases at us like "complementary football" and they don't even know what it means.

Even guys employed by the Joneses, like David Helman, are laughing at these guys on game day. This will be the first Sunday ever that I will not be wearing Cowboys gear. I'm not going to put that much energy into them until they show me otherwise.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I think if we lose to Garrett and the Giants it would be the public humiliation and implosion that the franchise really needs if it could lead to the exorcism of oil boys pretending to be football men. If we win, then Jones and Jones will go back to spinning how on track things are. How they have defiled our proud history and fans.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't recall the last time this franchise was criticized to this extent. It's not just the media, the fans are eviscerating these players. Search Jaylon and D-Law's twitter mentions, it's ugly. Doesn't this feel different?

Look no further than everyday posts on here. Even when they were / are winning. There is ALWAYS negativity. :lmao:

blueblood70

Reaction score
a 4th seed is our only chance. That means winning the Div.

the Skins and Eagles are better than us.
better????????????????????????????? not until they beat us twice each , playing head to head will resolve this OPINION we can debate it afterward..

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
The closest we ever got to not being the Dallas Cowboys was the Parcells era. That entire time felt different. We had no talent yet we were winning games. The players were disciplined and didn't get treated like they were the greatest. Every single football player on those teams was an equal to there peers. If you didn't do your job, you weren't playing. It was majestic. If Parcells was watching the film of Jaylon Smith in the film room with him from Sunday...wooof.

Yep....

And to this day I will still say that it was Jerry's temptation to bring T.O. into the fold that helped push BP out the door, at least make him think about it a little more. Prior to the 2006 season, the team didn't have the circus like environment, especially with the media, until Owens was signed. That became an extra burden for BP. Sure, a HOF player at WR, but now the whole chemistry thing and 'team first' environment had been undermined at that point. No disrespect for T.O. -- he was just being who he was. His talent and contributions to the team's success was without question in 2006 and into 2007. Which was fine...in the end though I think it was a bit too much for BP to bear.

Who knows, maybe BP would have left after 2006 anyway, with or w/o T.O. (?)

MrPhil

Reaction score
I’ve never, as a fan, sat down and ironed out the nuances and specifics of cap math. It’s just not an interest for me so I rely on other more knowledgeable board members for this. What does this storm entail exactly? You mean we might not be able to resign Dak?

I will take a stab at laying this out. The numbers I use below come from overthecap.

2020: Base Salary Cap is $198.2M. Dallas’ current cap liabilities are $193.8M and they currently have $23.9M available. Obviously, that math doesn’t add up so they clearly carried over some cap space from 2019 into 2020; I just don’t know how much.

2021: We really don’t know what the actual salary cap will be 2021. By that I mean, historically the cap has increased every year but due to COVID, the 2021 cap could go down. I believe the league and players agreed that it would not drop below $175M. The reason that number is important is that Dallas’ current liabilities for 2021 are $178.5M (43 players).

If they carryover the full $23.9M from this year, then at worst, they will have around $27.4M available.

For the sake of discussion here are the Top 5 players, cap-number-wise for 2021:

1. Demarcus Lawrence ($25M)

2. Amari Cooper ($22M)

3. Zack Martin ($17M)

4. Tyron Smith ($14M)

5. Ezekiel Elliott ($13.7M)

Based on my laymen’s interpretation of the numbers from Overthecap, it is not cost effective to cut any of these players in 2021. Either you don’t gain any cap space or the deadmoney hit would be exorbitant (e.g. $44M for Lawrence). Also, as you will see this does not include Dak because he is not currently under contract for 2021.

In my opinion, the first year that you can make the case financially to cut any of these players would be 2022. If you cut Amari, you save $16M on the cap but incur a $6M deadmoney hit. If you cut Tyron then you save $9.9M on the cap but incur a $5.3M deadmoney hit. Cutting the other players on that list would result in deadmoney hits that are higher than the cap savings.

Looking ahead a little more, we currently have 27 players under contract through 2022 at total cost of approximately $161.5M. In 2023, we have 16 players under contract at a total cost of approximately $144.5M.

So, a lot will depend on what happens with the overall salary cap and what the team does with Dak. Full disclosure, I could be missing something but this is what I am tracking.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
According to Jerry, they were meaningless. And he's right.

Why Cleveland decided to play prevent only and take their foot off the gas offensively.....that's their issue.

41-14 means it's over unless the team in the lead goes full you know what.
I don't think the Browns threw another pass after they hit 41-14...Just trying to milk the clock...

Aven8

Reaction score
As it should be. Jaylon is a farce and has been for awhile. Dlaw is just not dynamic yet he’s paid like he is.

The only criticism I have for the offense is hold onto the freaking football!!!!

This staff however doesn’t deserve blame. They haven’t had time to even build a team environment yet and a culture.