The media criticism the last 72 hours has been vicious

Redline360

Reaction score
You think Jerry and co actually give a ****? More media good or bad is publicity thst he loves.

Probably lighting a cigar with a 100$ right now

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The media also has an agenda with the dak signing. The popular thing to say right now is "you need to pay him" bla bla bla.
If we pay him they'll say we overpaid. If we don't they'll say we slighted dak. If he does live up the contract the media will say they told you so, if he doesn't they'll rip the move apart.

The media could care less about this team. It generates money for alot of the talking heads.

That being said, we deserve all the criticism we get. 25 years now of winning nothing. You want the media and opposing teams fans to stop talking badly about your team. Win something relevant.

plasticman

Reaction score
How did these players and fans not understand that this was going to happen?

If you are a fan of another team then the Cowboys are just one if those teams you love see lose. The cocky owner, the Taj Mahal stadium, the media coverage, the constant overhype, what's not to hate?

The thing about the 70's and 90's team, they understood this so when they were dominating, they never let up. They kicked you when you were down without apology. That's one of the elements this team is missing, malice.

This team needs to get a huge chip on their shoulder, they need to get mad and decide they aren't going to take it anymore because that star is, and has always been, a target.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't recall the last time this franchise was criticized to this extent. It's not just the media, the fans are eviscerating these players. Search Jaylon and D-Law's twitter mentions, it's ugly. Doesn't this feel different?
As long as they don't start saying Mccarthy Sucks!!! That would be mean.....

fivetwos

Reaction score
They will run up the score on the Giants like the front runners they are and then spend all next week patting themselves on the back. Jerry will be back on the radio on Monday talking about the Super Bowl and the DFW media will let up on these players. I've seen this movie before.
Not sure I could possibly agree with something more.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I’ve never, as a fan, sat down and ironed out the nuances and specifics of cap math. It’s just not an interest for me so I rely on other more knowledgeable board members for this. What does this storm entail exactly? You mean we might not be able to resign Dak?
While I am not sure how accurate everything on this site is, it is much closer than I would ever be on my own: https://overthecap.com/

According to OTC, the Cowboys are not headed into any "storms", or at least not any worse than 1/2 the league. Furthermore, if needed, there are 5 or so "big money" contracts that the Cowboys could get out of as soon as 2022 that can free up $30+ million if players are not playing up to said contracts.

Don't let the fearmongering get to you. While we don't have "a ton of cap room", we are hardly heading to cap hell any time soon, even with our bad contracts. (That is if OTC is even semi accurate).

JMHO

ryanbabs

Reaction score
The closest we ever got to not being the Dallas Cowboys was the Parcells era. That entire time felt different. We had no talent yet we were winning games. The players were disciplined and didn't get treated like they were the greatest. Every single football player on those teams was an equal to there peers. If you didn't do your job, you weren't playing. It was majestic. If Parcells was watching the film of Jaylon Smith in the film room with him from Sunday...wooof.
Ditto! He left one year too soon!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You think Jerry and co actually give a ****? More media good or bad is publicity thst he loves.

Probably lighting a cigar with a 100$ right now

He is actually very sensitive to criticism.

Now, his usual reaction is to lash out and then double down on the mistake like any good, third-world dictator usually does. But Emmanuel Acho and @randomtwitterguy1979 doesn't care if Jerry revokes their press credentials at The Star and the stadium.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
BillP quit on us , period came in like lion left like sheep.. thats on him not jerry..he left us unfinished throw an fn parade for him..

really you mention JS he would have grabbed daks Facemask on the way to the bench talking about 6 Tos in 4 games? the clock he yelled at Romo about Daks breaking those rules every game taking sacks and losing fumbles, dont think second the offense would be left alone..

also KN wouldn't be OC and Dak and zeke would be running an offense like Callahan and Garett ran, ball control, safe , and for sure not leaving to tackles out to dry and using zeke like an fn fullback..

theres plenty wrong with the offense and GO WOOF to it al..

Billp wouldn't hack the new nfl hes dinosaur and garetts not far throw from a BillP type of team..no way new age player stake that noise from Billp calling them names calling them out grabbing their Facemasks..no way

I like the Tuna but he was a foot into retirement while he was here..

You okay Jaylon? Jeesh. Parcells took over a 5-11 team with the same defense and offense and went 10-6 and to the playoffs with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick as our QB and RB. He was the only coach outside of Jimmy that made the players feel like they weren't special. He was the last thing we've had in terms of coaching that I felt like we would be prepared every week. It's why the Patriots are always in ball games as well. The coach in NE doesn't pamper them and holds them accountable. There should be some starters on defense who aren't even allowed to suit up this week from there lack of hustle last week. It was embarrassing.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
How did these players and fans not understand that this was going to happen?

If you are a fan of another team then the Cowboys are just one if those teams you love see lose. The cocky owner, the Taj Mahal stadium, the media coverage, the constant overhype, what's not to hate?

The thing about the 70's and 90's team, they understood this so when they were dominating, they never let up. They kicked you when you were down without apology. That's one of the elements this team is missing, malice.

This team needs to get a huge chip on their shoulder, they need to get mad and decide they aren't going to take it anymore because that star is, and has always been, a target.
this bunch of soft over paid rubes have no idea how to get malice or much less mad

blueblood70

Reaction score
You okay Jaylon? Jeesh. Parcells took over a 5-11 team with the same defense and offense and went 10-6 and to the playoffs with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick as our QB and RB. He was the only coach outside of Jimmy that made the players feel like they weren't special. He was the last thing we've had in terms of coaching that I felt like we would be prepared every week. It's why the Patriots are always in ball games as well. The coach in NE doesn't pamper them and holds them accountable. There should be some starters on defense who aren't even allowed to suit up this week from there lack of hustle last week. It was embarrassing.

WAS that was more then 15years ago, again different times different league and geesh to you homie..

im telling you the dude QUIT ON US wanting to be a GM only and no one bit he was done period wasnt about Jerry it was about BillP and yes he would not be running a new age offense , got it? this would be a back control offense play calling going for it on 3rd down fake punts would not be happening..

its barely a step about Garetts best days,..so wishing him back is not going to happen even if it were possible these fans would find a way to have him ousted after 4 games.

we have no depth to just sit starters and let the 3rd stringers play as if reality's doesnt state they wouldn't be netter.. stay in your lane if the coaches thought they had someone better they would be playing..a lot of the starters are on IR etc backups already in so the third wave is going to be better? doubt that..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of the fans and media are just like some of the posters here, unmet expectations piss people off.

All of that "this is the most talented team in the league" BS last season pointed to what? Coaching. Well, hell, change the coaching and change the outcome. Only that hasn't worked. Because the talent was suspect in the first place.

The people responsible for the problem do not want to own the problem because the solution is unacceptable. Not many people are willing to fire themselves.

But the venom shouldn't be for the seller, the buyer should have been more aware. Just because you want to believe doesn't mean you should.

What I want to know is what in the hell did any of you see that would lead you to believe they could fix this defense by letting 2 of the best players on a mediocre defense walk, getting some bargain D FA's and spending the 1st pick on a WR?

Even with all of this turmoil with the fans and the media, the team is just one win away on Sunday from quieting that down. And this team could be 4-3 and 2-0 in the division heading into that showdown with PHL.

Defense sucks right now, offense doesn't.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I can't recall the last time this franchise was criticized to this extent. It's not just the media, the fans are eviscerating these players. Search Jaylon and D-Law's twitter mentions, it's ugly. Doesn't this feel different?
Reminds me of when Jerrah fired Landry and his staff.

There was a lot of fan bickering and remorse then.

Feels similar to that.

Minster initially had assistant coaches that had to be replaced after that first year.

Shula's son was our first OCs He was quickly replaced.

Apparently Jimmy made a deal with Don Shula to take him and it was a miserable fail.

Earnie Zampese took over as I recalled then Norv Turner.

So some losing had to happen to force more change and things obviously panned out.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
While I am not sure how accurate everything on this site is, it is much closer than I would ever be on my own: https://overthecap.com/

According to OTC, the Cowboys are not headed into any "storms", or at least not any worse than 1/2 the league. Furthermore, if needed, there are 5 or so "big money" contracts that the Cowboys could get out of as soon as 2022 that can free up $30+ million if players are not playing up to said contracts.

Don't let the fearmongering get to you. While we don't have "a ton of cap room", we are hardly heading to cap hell any time soon, even with our bad contracts. (That is if OTC is even semi accurate).

JMHO

Nothing personal at all man and my reading comprehension may be off but I will say that D Lawrence's listed cap hits for 2021, 2022 and 2023 are 25 mil, 27mil and 29 mil.

Now I'm not a cap guru but for just that one contract alone...

Leaving 52 more to shuffle to make it under makes me slightly skeptical at their near future cap management.

I'm just using Lawrence's cap hit as an example. If his contract has easy "out" clauses to escape these penalties then like I said I'm not the expert.

But if not, the future don't look that rosy

Go Cowboys

catiii

Reaction score
The best thing that could happen for the future of this franchise is to lose BIG on Sunday.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Nothing personal at all man and my reading comprehension may be off but I will say that D Lawrence's listed cap hits for 2021, 2022 and 2023 are 25 mil, 27mil and 29 mil.

Now I'm not a cap guru but for just that one contract alone...

Leaving 52 more to shuffle to make it under makes me slightly skeptical at their near future cap management.

I'm just using Lawrence's cap hit as an example. If his contract has easy "out" clauses to escape these penalties then like I said I'm not the expert.

But if not, the future don't look that rosy

Go Cowboys
Oh, no problem. There is a lot of information on OTC, but you can click on the individual players to see details for their specific salaries, cap hits, dead money, ect...

So to break down DLaw:
    • Cap hit = $25 million
    • Dead money against the cap if cut = $44 million
    • Savings = None as it would add an addition $19 million to the cap in 2021 to cut him
    • Cap hit = $27 million
    • Dead money against the cap if cut = $19 million
    • Savings = ~$8 million additional cap space in 2022 if we cut him before June 1st 2022

The top 9 contract hits against the cap in 2022 all are setup for cap relief. They range from the $4.25 million in additional cap room to cut Blake Jarwin up to $16 million to cut Amari Cooper. In fact, of the 27 players the Cowboys currently have under contract in 2022, the only contract that would hurt us, as far as the cap is concerned, is CeeDee Lamb, who would count an additional $4.5 million to cut vs keep.

But in 2021, the top 3 cap eating contracts (Cooper, Elliot, DLaw) are safe from being release as the dead money hits are significantly higher than their salary hits. Then there are 3 other players who would go negitively against the cap if cut (Collins, CeeDee, Diggs). Everyone else could be release and give us something back, even Jaylon at "only" $400K in cap savings for a pre-June 1st cut.

And of course, this does not take into account the post-June 1st cuts that can split the dead money between 2 seasons instead of 1 or the Cowboys favorite cap move, the restructure.

OTC has even accounted for the lowered 2021 salary cap at $176 million, down from $192.2 million in 2020. Yet the Cowboys have the 15th most "effective" cap room at ~$16 million (I think that is minus the estimated rookie pool) while we also are T-3rd with the most individuals under a 2021 contract with 43. And that is despite having the 5th most dead cap money (big chunk of it is for Fredbeard's retirement).

I get that we all wish we had had the Jaguar's effective cap room ($76 million), but the fact of the matter is while the Cowboys are not in the best situation, they are FAR from the worst situation like the 12 teams that are currently OVER the 2021 "effective" cap (ranging from $4.5 million over to $82+ million over).

The Cowboys can't go get whoever they want like fans wish they would / could, but it is not nearly as bad as the OP makes it out to be.
:starspin:

visionary

Reaction score

No publicity is bad publicity

Signed

Jerry Jones

Haimerej

Reaction score
I've long appreciated Garrett for his ability to navigate through the Jerry Horror Picture Show and keep the team focused.

Garrett's teams played hard. What we've seen this year isn't a team playing hard.

Questionable playcalling aside, the team at least looked ready to play.

Not this year. I'm not sure what that is.

Remember when everyone was happy because of the, "breathe of fresh air," that the players felt? I wonder if that just meant less accountability.