FEATURED The Mike McCarthy Project - what he's been doing to prepare

HungryLion

Reaction score
How many Head Coaches have won a super bowl in two different locations?

None. But quite a few have come very close.

I think that’s more indicative of how hard it is to Win a Super Bowl. I don’t think a previous Super Bowl winner has less chance of winning another one, than any other coach though. It’s just one of those things that hasn’t happened yet.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Coach Mike received a calling. When one receives it, no doubt, one will cry. Only a few will understand.

johneric8

Reaction score
A guy with no NFL experience over a guy who has won a SB in THIS league? Sure pal. I was as big a believer in bringing in Urban but come on.
I too liked the idea of Meyer and wanted him, but anyone whom scoffs at a coach with his credentials is trolling. It's not a sexy hire but a smart one by Jones. The NFL is giving Jerry credit here for not going flashy but smart. Lets not pretend that with Urban it could of been a cluster, there were way too many questions to consider him, especially with a team that has the talent to go at it now. McCarthy, has been preparing diligently for his next opportunity and Jones could see that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We needed a big name flashy hire.

Instead we did what we always do and we will get the results we always do.
Why did we need that? Flash and substance aren't the same thing.

Besides, how is hiring a Super Bowl winning head coach with 28 years coaching in some capacity in the NFL the same thing as hiring a guy who had never been a head coach and with only 3-4 years of coaching in any capacity at any level?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And what does that have to do with how a coach will perform at his job? How we feel is immaterial.

Fans are going to argue over leadership no matter what.

Well.. Usually these hyped coaches are hyped for a reason and it's because they are good at their job.

These Wade Phillips / Mike McCarthy types are usually criticized for a reason.

Dallas needed to hire a guy that brings hope and excitement back to the fan base and they did what they normally do and they will get the results they normally get.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well.. Usually these hyped coaches are hyped for a reason and it's because they are good at their job.

Dallas needed to hire a guy that brings hope and excitement back to the fan base and they did what they normally do and they will get the results they normally get.
So if/when we do better than we ever have with Garrett will you stop complaining?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why did we need that? Flash and substance aren't the same thing.

Besides, how is hiring a Super Bowl winning head coach with 28 years coaching in some capacity in the NFL the same thing as hiring a guy who had never been a head coach and with only 3-4 years of coaching in any capacity at any level?

They played it safe.. They will get safe results.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The reason is not what you seem to think it is. Someone does not have to be good at what they do in order to by hyped.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dude doesn’t command respect the way a coach like Meyer does. He’s just like Garrett in many ways.

erod

Reaction score
How many Head Coaches have won a super bowl in two different locations?
How many coaches have never won a Super Bowl at all?

Look at coaches like Shula, Parcells, Lombardi, Dungy, Gruden, Reeves, Holmgren.....they are successful wherever they go.

That fact you state is more of a strange coincidence than a meaningful fact.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The reason is not what you seem to think it is. Someone does not have to be good at what they do in order to by hyped.

If they are bad at what they do then that is fine too.

I'd rather take a risk and find the next Sean Payton or Shannahan then play it safe with some other teams failures. Especially when the guy failed for the same reasons as his predecessor and in an interview he basically scoffs at the idea that something was wrong with his playcalling.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They played it safe.. They will get safe results.
And you think Garrett was a "safe" hire?

If "safe" leads to similar results as McCarthy had over his career in GB, I'm cool with that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NFCCG. That should be the bar.

And then 10 years of loyalty for it?

I want a team that is well coached on game day. I'd like to win a championship but basing it purely on results is not realistic.

I want a team that is hard to defend not only from a talent standpoint but from a coaching standpoint as well.

I'm worried that this guy who road the coat tails of Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre will only do the same here and he'll do a solid job simply because of the players he has on this roster.

erod

Reaction score
The dude does seem to live and breathe football, which is a very good thing.

I think he's also excited about the chance to run an already good offense that doesn't have an established superstar at quarterback.

johneric8

Reaction score
Dude doesn’t command respect the way a coach like Meyer does. He’s just like Garrett in many ways.
I honestly believe you need to do your research on McCarthy.. He is a way bigger presence on the field and way more involved! He actually can coach smart football and relatable to the players.
The reason he was let go from Green Bay was because he had been there long enough and him and Aron weren't getting on.

Keep in mind also. that Arod wasn't Arod in college so McCarthy deserves credit for helping him evolve. McCarthy is wonderful with Qb's, so I would highly doubt Kitna is going to be of much help anymore.