The missing ingredient to success

willia451

Reaction score
John Harbaugh does a great job with the Ravens being more inspirational, motivational, and empathetic than instilling fear. He's won a SB and has been to several AFC Championship games.

I think fear is a factor. But its minor. Its more about respect and wanting to perform for someone you think is a great leader and deserves your best.

And to think. The Ravens could have had Garrett.

Who knows how far they could have gone if that had worked out.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Disagree. Think Belichick benching Malcom Butler, the star of the previous SB, didn't get the team's attention? Last night, I saw players on both teams get penalties and were out of the game immediately. Think having that camera on you an on the big screen and all across America because you screwed up isn't a fear factor?

I do agree that it's not to the degree before FA and it is more of a players' league than ever but there are still HC's that use fear as a motivator.
Belichick knows the buck stops with him. I don't picture him yelling at people but I don't picture him having conversation after conversation with a player. It's do your job. If you don't your'e gone. He didn't spend hours reiterating to AB to stay off social media, told him once and that was that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To him? Yes, I agree but not everybody. I still mange to avoid his voice and face except on home games but his words are very hard to avoid as everything he mumbles get posted here.
If your watching news, listening to radio ,reading the papers and following Social Media impossible to avoid him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Belichick knows the buck stops with him. I don't picture him yelling at people but I don't picture him having conversation after conversation with a player. It's do your job. If you don't your'e gone. He didn't spend hours reiterating to AB to stay off social media, told him once and that was that.
That’s basically how it is around the NFL. Cowboys are basically only venue where the HC isn’t the enforcer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If your watching news, listening to radio ,reading the papers and following Social Media impossible to avoid him.
I don't do any of that and now that I see that listed, I may be a recluse. I get my news from reliable sources, haven't listened to terrestrial radio since I retired, do they still print newspapers and social media is anything but unless you are including this forum as that, then yes, I do that but no facebook, Instagram or twitter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also will point out a player's mistakes in a team meeting as Brady wasn't even immune to that.

Belichick is one of a kind. And a player is either Belichick's kind or he's gone.

Praxit

Reaction score
..couple the fear ideas and Tutu's on the refs and regulations. Its a fanfare of a game.

cern

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.
Great post. This is the way admiral rickover ran the nuclear navy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The missing ingredient?

Oregano …. definitely oregano.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I vote for Stephen.
That, my friend, is a fait accompli. And I do not think he will hire one but Garrett might fit in that area with McClay, if he's still there. Be like Co-Assistant GM's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The missing ingredient?

Oregano …. definitely oregano.
Greek, Italian or Mexican?

Y'all have got to stop throwing out these general herbs and spices, this is a very specific thread and needs specificity. And don't anyone throw salt or pepper in there and really set me off.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
There's more wrong with this team that accountability. I watched the other night as these guys missed tackles, blew coverage, etc., etc. There's no discipline on this team at all. I'm not sure if that's coaching or what it is but that's my take.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I vote for Stephen.

I vote for someone outside of the organization, who has more NFL experience than just working for his daddy.

But we're gonna get Stephen because the greatest job qualification in Jerry's World is nepotism.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.
One word...accountability. And the Cowboys have ZERO of that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's more wrong with this team that accountability. I watched the other night as these guys missed tackles, blew coverage, etc., etc. There's no discipline on this team at all. I'm not sure if that's coaching or what it is but that's my take.
Hey Quick, how's it hanging?

What happens to a player if he misses a block, tackle, blows a coverage, gives up the big play? Better yet, what should happen? There aren't 32 quality players at any position and I watched a game this weekend and they were on their 5th P. These players all know depth isn't a reality, they don't fear for their jobs and they know most HC's are fearful of taking them out to make a point and have that cost them instead of the player. All but a handful that aren't fearful of losing their job.

I don't know if Garrett or any of his coaches could discipline a player without permission. Belichick dumped Brown and Gordon quickly and if that had been in Dallas, that would have taken time to sell Booger on it like they did with Owens and Bryant.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greek, Italian or Mexican?

Y'all have got to stop throwing out these general herbs and spices, this is a very specific thread and needs specificity. And don't anyone throw salt or pepper in there and really set me off.
The defense is what is missing an ingredient, and the defense is coached by Rob MARINELLI … figure it out from there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't do any of that and now that I see that listed, I may be a recluse. I get my news from reliable sources, haven't listened to terrestrial radio since I retired, do they still print newspapers and social media is anything but unless you are including this forum as that, then yes, I do that but no facebook, Instagram or twitter.
Wow

You can listen to radio thru internet or XM Sirius as well as paper but I still read hard copy. And yes I follow Cowboys on FB and get dinged from other sites like DMN, dc.com( our old stomping grounds).

I’m not a Twittler or Instagram but many of the Social Media following always quoting like you see fans use here. Not including personal friends and family texting. It’s kinda tough to ignore it all.

Where exactly are you gathering info and updates from. Just here? Lol

C’mon Man. I’m an old fart too but up with the times. Are you in touch with the world at all? Ha