The Near-Future of Mobile Gaming Is Going to Be Pretty Epic

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3900534 said:
If you think people are going to play games on a tablet that aren't as good as the 1st party exclusives they'd get on a dedicated handheld gaming system, AND they're going to use a separate controller they have to lug around, then, well, let's just say there's a reason why you're not in video game marketing, or R&D. :laugh2:
1. I don't think a controller for a tablet is worthwhile unless you're also syncing to a TV set. In which case, if a dedicated gaming device can't stream to a television, it's lost the battle already.

2. If the options are carry around two devices (phone and dedicated gaming device) vs. carry around one device (phone) and a snap on controller, I'm not sure how that argument cuts in your favor.

The bottom line is dedicated gaming devices don't sell all that well because it's a VERY small slice of the market that buys those types of devices. Smart phones and tablets, however, are selling like hotcakes. And if you can get legitimate gaming experience on something that sells well, guess where the developers will head.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900567 said:
1. I don't think a controller for a tablet is worthwhile unless you're also syncing to a TV set. In which case, if a dedicated gaming device can't stream to a television, it's lost the battle already.

2. If the options are carry around two devices (phone and dedicated gaming device) vs. carry around one device (phone) and a snap on controller, I'm not sure how that argument cuts in your favor.

The bottom line is dedicated gaming devices don't sell all that well because it's a VERY small slice of the market that buys those types of devices. Smart phones and tablets, however, are selling like hotcakes. And if you can get legitimate gaming experience on something that sells well, guess where the developers will head.

That's the exact point. You can't.

An X-box controller has four buttons, two triggers, two 'bumpers' two joysticks and a directional pad.

12 inputs for game manipulation versus tilt and turn for a tablet interface? :lmao:

You want to roll with the big dogs, but the tablet is ill-prepared to do so outside of the caveat of portability. Then the gamer has to balance their lack of overall portability because the battery life drains like a toilet when it has to push out the processing power to maintain the one other selling point it has, namely a potent display.

Then you want to have the serious gamer carry around an external device to get the same level of control and manipulation that they have with a console or keyboard. Sure, no problem.

They have devices like that already, with a longer battery life, larger display, more processing power, all built into one. You know, laptops?

The tablet gaming market will be nothing more than a niche exploited by a few games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900585 said:
That's the exact point. You can't.

An X-box controller has four buttons, two triggers, two 'bumpers' two joysticks and a directional pad.

12 inputs for game manipulation versus tilt and turn for a tablet interface? :lmao:
Controllers. Can. Be. Used. With. Mobile. Devices.

Say it with me now.

The rest of your post was nonsense.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dallas;3900103 said:
That is gorgeous 1080 out. What happens if I need to push a button or need direction other than left and right in the game?

What do I do if I have to jump or IMMEDIATELY target a player to shoot him in the face? Do I just throw the tablet into the air?

This whole tablet gaming thing just ain't gonna cut into the gaming market anytime soon that I can see. No need to worry Sony/Nintendo/MS, all is well for the next 5 years.

To many unknowns yet.

I thought you said all of this control was wireless. :popcorn:

Actually, that's pretty unimpressive IMO. That's great it outputs at 1080p and all, but the graphics aren't that great and look kind of like what I'd see on a high end PS2 game with the res upped to 1080.

I think I'll just wait for the NGP for my portable gaming.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900607 said:
Controllers. Can. Be. Used. With. Mobile. Devices.

Say it with me now.

The rest of your post was nonsense.

The entire premise of what you're trying to sell is nonsense, but you wouldn't/couldn't admit to it if it slapped you in the face with at 2x4.

Specifically, what advantage does a tablet have over any existing device? This should be entertaining.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900616 said:
The entire premise of what you're trying to sell is nonsense, but you wouldn't/couldn't admit to it if it slapped you in the face with at 2x4.
I probably could if you could actually come up with a coherent argument that hadn't already been addressed in this thread.

Specifically, what advantage does a tablet have over any existing device? This should be entertaining.
I've seen people skeptical of tablets since day one. And yet estimates are Apple is going to sell up to 12 million iPads in a quarter this year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3900610 said:
Actually, that's pretty unimpressive IMO. That's great it outputs at 1080p and all, but the graphics aren't that great and look kind of like what I'd see on a high end PS2 game with the res upped to 1080.

I think I'll just wait for the NGP for my portable gaming.
Haha, yeah, those graphics sucked.

LOL.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900640 said:
I probably could if you could actually come up with a coherent argument that hadn't already been addressed in this thread.

Like battery power being an issue when the processor is run to generate the game. Such as the fact that the screen is smaller than a lap top, unless you're streaming, which the lap top can do as well with better battery life. Two right there you've failed to address.

theogt;3900640 said:
I've seen people skeptical of tablets since day one. And yet estimates are Apple is going to sell up to 12 million iPads in a quarter this year.

Thank you for avoiding the question completely.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900664 said:
Like battery power being an issue when the processor is run to generate the game. Such as the fact that the screen is smaller than a lap top, unless you're streaming, which the lap top can do as well with better battery life. Two right there you've failed to address.
Haha, so, yeah, the tablet will never catch on because a laptop can do everything it can do but better!!!!111

Good one. Haven't heard that before.

Thank you for avoiding the question completely.
I haven't avoided squat. This entire friggin' thread has been about your question. ****** almighty, sometimes you just miss the most obvious points.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900640 said:

SaltwaterServr;3900664 said:

theogt;3900691 said:
Haha, so, yeah, the tablet will never catch on because a laptop can do everything it can do but better!!!!111

I haven't avoided squat. This entire friggin' thread has been about your question. ****** almighty, sometimes you just miss the most obvious points.

Adam is wholly correct when he called you out on not being to answer a simple question.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900750 said:
Adam is wholly correct when he called you out on not being to answer a simple question.
Read that last bit you quoted again.

Then read it again and close out the thread.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Must laptops can not even render the games I play. Heck I need a keyboard with 3 hot bars and macros + mouse to play the game. Games like splitter cell would suck on such a small screen.

The reason consoles do not change like phones is they rarely make money on the consoles they are happy to break even. The money is in the games they buy. People hate having to upgrade a game console every 2-3 years plus games thyey use to have no longer work yea that does not go over well in the console market. Hardware in that side generally has a 7-10 year life cycle for a reason. It is also why Sega got out of the console business and went to purely software game design.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3900642 said:
Haha, yeah, those graphics sucked.

LOL.

Maybe not to someone who spends time on the Wii or something, but anyone with a clue or that has a 360, PS3, or quality PC shouldn't be even remotely impressed by that video.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
you keep mentioning that i can use a wireless controller with my handheld device. that to me isn't practical unless you're hooking it up to a tv as you obviously cant hold both the device and the controller. i don't see the advantage mobile gaming has over a conventional console if you can only use it when you can hook it up to a tv.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900771 said:
Read that last bit you quoted again.

Then read it again and close out the thread.

If you want to qualify tap dancing around the specific issue, then sure you've answered it. :rolleyes:

Honestly, this thread is like you're bound and determined to prove you can dig a post hole with dynamite when the real tool for the job is in the shed.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
daschoo;3900866 said:
you keep mentioning that i can use a wireless controller with my handheld device. that to me isn't practical unless you're hooking it up to a tv as you obviously cant hold both the device and the controller. i don't see the advantage mobile gaming has over a conventional console if you can only use it when you can hook it up to a tv.

Exactly. The tablets do have a folding pyramid case that props it up, but you're back to the point of having to carry around a controller to play the game in the first place. The practicality of the system goes out the window immediately.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3900691 said:

Now instead of being a complete Richard Head, you could have said the iPad2 gets about 6 hours out of a charge running the tests Gizmodo put it through.

That would have been the answer I was looking for. :rolleyes:

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Damn, reading this again, I sound like the twin brother of DCF.

My apologies Theo, for both tone and content. It wasn't called for in any regard.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900908 said:
Damn, reading this again, I sound like the twin brother of DCF.

My apologies Theo, for both tone and content. It wasn't called for in any regard.
Ditto. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

I didn't realize you were actually asking what the battery life of an iPad was. I thought it was well known they have excellent battery life.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
theogt;3901121 said:
Ditto. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

I didn't realize you were actually asking what the battery life of an iPad was. I thought it was well known they have excellent battery life.

I was honestly shocked at how good it is. 10 hours of normal operating, 6 hours of running every app, WiFi, email, and playing a game on it at the same time???

Impressive.